Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I tried something different not for those not mechanically inclined
since this tank is press fit I repressed the base
If you use pliers or vice grips you will scar the base just a warning
It seems on mine anyway the base wasnt fully seated
I did it about an hour ago no seepage so far with juice control fully open with same build it was seeping with before
How did you repress?

dave61

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How did you repress?

Im not saying this is whats wrong with everyones

I used two sockets of the right size and a small hammer tapping very lightly
one one the bottom and one on the outer rim of the base on top being very careful not to damage the oring or threads
Then I did the ring surrounding the wicking channels in the same way

If you try this and it damages your base Im not responsible for damage
I did this because I did have extra bases

also keep in mind I was head of a detail department in a machine shop for 25 years so I am not an amateur at this

TrollDragon

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

one one the bottom and one on the outer rim of the base on top being very careful not to damage the oring or threads

also keep in mind I was head of a detail department in a machine shop for 25 years so I am not an amateur at this
Excellent, keep us posted!
I have some sockets and a bench vise. :)

rolf 2

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee

thank you and thank you again dave !!!
I am glad you fixed yours and gave us a hint of how to do it !
I will let the info sink in and go to the garage and find the right size sockets or pipe even . do you think a drill press will work to press it nice and even ??
or is the force required to much and a hammer with gentle taps is better ?
so you mean you are not responsible if I use a visegrip to squash this thing and make a bad base useless ??lol

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Morning...

So, overnight, with the JFC just the teeniest bit open, having re-wicked using what will heretofore be known to me as, "the @Ryedan Method", (AKA longer wicking stuffed into the juice cups) I didn't have any leaking. Since the glass broke yesterday, new build on 3mm kanthal. instead of 2.4mm. wicked with Rayon.

fingerscrossed.gif

Good to hear that you're getting a break with the Merlin Huckleberried :cool:!

Now that it's working for you (and I hope it still isn't leaking 10 hours later), I would leave it set up the way you have it for a few refills. If it continues to be good I would try opening up the juice control and see if that makes it leak or it's just the changed wicking. Would probably be good to know for future reference for you and I am honestly also interested to know what did it.

Whatever you do, hope it stays dry for ya :)

dave61

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
thank you and thank you again dave !!!
I am glad you fixed yours and gave us a hint of how to do it !
I will let the info sink in and go to the garage and find the right size sockets or pipe even . do you think a drill press will work to press it nice and even ??
or is the force required to much and a hammer with gentle taps is better ?
so you mean you are not responsible if I use a visegrip to squash this thing and make a bad base useless ??lol

If you use a vice grip and crush the base all I can say is
Who am I
Where am I
Do you know who I am or where I come from
:crazy:
Annd i wont be responsible even in a court of law:tantrum:

I wouldnt use a drill press
You dont want to use a lot of force or you will deform the base internally

I used a small slag hammer to do mine and very gently tapped it all around the circumference

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I would leave it set up the way you have it for a few refills. If it continues to be good I would try opening up the juice control and see if that makes it leak or it's just the changed wicking.
So far, so good, only condensation, which was minimal. Once this tank goes down more, I'll try the JFC thing. Thanks! :)

rolf 2

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
If you use a vice grip and crush the base all I can say is
Who am I
Where am I
Do you know who I am or where I come from
:crazy:
Annd i wont be responsible even in a court of law:tantrum:

I wouldnt use a drill press
You dont want to use a lot of force or you will deform the base internally

I used a small slag hammer to do mine and very gently tapped it all around the circumference
thanks dave that gives me an indication of force needed . re visegrips are we having fun jet ?

52anddone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm supposed to have a new base coming from STS, so I'll wait till then to do anything with mine and just keep tabs on what Dave finds out on his longer term fix and others experiments. I have the exact same symptoms with (2) Cthulhu V2's and (3) Lemo V2's that I am having with my Merlin, so I'll be paying close attention here.

52anddone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
26g ss316l wrapped in .4 N80 ribbon, parallel with 26g ss316l wrapped in twisted 32+36g N80. 4.75mm ID and 0.25 ohms. I threw a shot of how I wick into the juice pockets as well.

No editing to photos other than focus stacking.
SZezO53.jpgl

qIYQslv.jpgl

jKkMGm4.jpgl

NERQnNP.jpgl

Z1LWnmr.jpgl

1AiQL0p.jpgl

Another fine photo, and build. Can I ask how many shots for your stacking ?? 3,5,7 or more ?? That's a lot of work to do for a build picture. It does look very nice though. I was so consumed with your photography that I missed the 4.75mm coil ID part. Damn, that's Huge Red. I'd have to scrounge around to find something that big to wrap around as all I have is a Coil Master that goes up to 4mm.

Last edited:

52anddone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
From what Im seeing some may be so far out of tolerance a replacement is the only cure

Im thinking the machinist making these is only checking one out of a hundred and as his die gets hot its allowing all this variance we are seeing
And I would bet hes taking one good piece to QC to be checked so he can save his job
We have already seen they used the wrong oring in some
Others have loose air flow or loose juice control
They need a QC manager thats just not to lazy to get up and go to the machine and check a few parts

I agree with that 100% dave. More Product, More Money, that's their only concern.

dave61

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm supposed to have a new base coming from STS, so I'll wait till then to do anything with mine and just keep tabs on what Dave finds out on his longer term fix and others experiments. I have the exact same symptoms with (2) Cthulhu V2's and (3) Lemo V2's that I am having with my Merlin, so I'll be paying close attention here.

I dont know if this would work on CTHULHU
Your Lemo2 doesnt sound like the same problem

Update on my seepage after pressing the base
One tank has none the other might have a very light drop no more than if sweating

disley

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I must have been lucky, my merlin is rock solid, I couldn't taste the juice at first, now I've changed to a different flavour I can taste it, same coil and wick.
I was a Lemo 2 fanatic, one of the most reliable tanks I've used.
But I'm loving the merlin.

RedheadedBStarD

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Another fine photo, and build. Can I ask how many shots for your stacking ?? 3,5,7 or more ?? That's a lot of work to do for a build picture. It does look very nice though. I was so consumed with your photography that I missed the 4.75mm coil ID part. Damn, that's Huge Red. I'd have to scrounge around to find something that big to wrap around as all I have is a Coil Master that goes up to 4mm.

Depending on the angle the photo was taken there are between 5 and 22 photos stacked in an image.

I use a 3/16 drill bit which actually works out to 4.76mm, but I just round down.

iVape

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So today I put my like 8th build in. Just a regular 22K contact micro coil 3mmID. I cant seem to get good flavor off any build. Im ohming out at .33 now. Previous builds were fused Clapton and Clapton both at .45-.47 range. Theres no chain vape. Maybe 3 hits and then weird tasting like it cant wick. 70vg juice. MTL pin is out coil is flush with posts. Am I doing something wrong. For me im liking the flavor and airflow on the griffin better. Cotton is always saturated on the Merlin so i know its not dry. Wicks are floating in the cups. Why is this not working out for me?

52anddone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I dont know if this would work on CTHULHU
Your Lemo2 doesnt sound like the same problem

Update on my seepage after pressing the base
One tank has none the other might have a very light drop no more than if sweating

I'll research both my Cthulhu V2 and Lemo V2 some more, but I'll keep what you have done to your Merlin's in the back of my mind. No, I better book mark your post or I'll forget it. Glad it has worked for you though, as soon as I get my new base that STS is sending me I'll try your remedy.

RedheadedBStarD

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So today I put my like 8th build in. Just a regular 22K contact micro coil 3mmID. I cant seem to get good flavor off any build. Im ohming out at .33 now. Previous builds were fused Clapton and Clapton both at .45-.47 range. Theres no chain vape. Maybe 3 hits and then weird tasting like it cant wick. 70vg juice. MTL pin is out coil is flush with posts. Am I doing something wrong. For me im liking the flavor and airflow on the griffin better. Cotton is always saturated on the Merlin so i know its not dry. Wicks are floating in the cups. Why is this not working out for me?

The thing with this RTA is its huge chamber. Go with a bigger ID. Between 4.5 and 5mm will help you out flavour wise.

dave61

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Where are you exactly tapping to get the build deck fully seated, like right above the juice cups and around that same rim ??

Once I get my sockets in place I tap on the socket
The socket on the bottom has the 510 pin in the middle of the socket opening

the socket on the top of the base covers just the outer rim making sure it doesnt damage the oring or threads

And lightly tapping all around the top of the socket

So far the tank with the looser juice control seepage is down no more than a tank will sweat

The tank with the tighter juice control no leakage at all its just sweating like is normal
93 degree heat yesterday the tank did sweat but no dripping down the mod

Seems for my bases they just were not fully seated

Dont know if thats everyones problem or not

Last edited:

dave61

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
so I have a 4mmID now. 22K at .45 its a 4 wrap. Same thing is happening. Should the coil be as high as possible or closer to the air hole? I dont know why this aint workin out for me. Im also at 34W Cant go higher.

Something isnt right your build you should be able to go at least 50watts or more
I have a 26ga 8wrap 1.03 ohms coil and can do 45 before the heat gets to bad with no burnt hits

As for flavor I usually run my coil 2mm to 2.5mm above the air hole and get flavor overload at 20 watts

iVape

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Something isnt right your build you should be able to go at least 50watts or more
I have a 26ga 8wrap 1.03 ohms coil and can do 45 before the heat gets to bad with no burnt hits

As for flavor I usually run my coil 2mm to 2.5mm above the air hole and get flavor overload at 20 watts
Maybe i just need to build above ohm. So far this isnt handling sub ohm so well

iVape

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Whats your ID on the coil?

dave61

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This coil I.D iim running right now is 2.5mm
Ive run 3.0mm and 3.5 with the same effect
Im thinking its your wicking

I put part of my tail in the cup then lightly place the rest of the tail in the channel using japanese cotton

iVape

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I put part of my tail in the cup then lightly place the rest of the tail in the channel using japanese cotton
im doing the same however I do believe it was the coil because its working great at 1.23o now.

If anyone ran this tank in subohm and its working great please post the specs of your coil. Fanciest I go is fused clapton

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
How you do'in on your leaking problems, still Good ??

I'm curious about this also
Since I used Ryedan's method of cramming a longer wick into the juice cups, and Dave's (?) suggestion of barely opening the JFC, it's definitely better. I was at the point of condensation only on my mod, but had a little bit of juice on it today when I woke up. Ryedan suggested after I had success with stuffing the wicking into the cups to see if there's any difference with opening up the JFC, but I've yet to do that, since it's gotten much better. Maybe I'll go ahead anyway. This one has the original size JFC. I haven't built the new one I got. It's in a drawer, for now.
Should the coil be as high as possible or closer to the air hole?
I have my coil in the top 2 post holes, raised in line with the top of the posts. I've always gotten good flavor. Flavor has been phenomenal from the beginning. Simple ol' coil, 3mm ID, spaced - 28g.

dshuld

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
im doing the same however I do believe it was the coil because its working great at 1.23o now.

If anyone ran this tank in subohm and its working great please post the specs of your coil. Fanciest I go is fused clapton
All 3 of my builds have been subohm. One not by much though @.93 currently in my ss, others are a .56 currently in my black and a .83 that was also in my black one.

The .56 is a 26/36 fused n80 at 4.73mm and have no issues with it.
8c461a157d77b57e80e2278ea16a1502.jpg

The .83 was 28/40 fused n80 at 3.7mm and was a great vape too.
a0281bf6ddb66d5a443d2a1f027d0b99.jpg

The .93 is 28/36 twised claptons at 3.7mm but I dont have a pic of that build. My other half is using the ss though with no issue either that I'm aware of.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dshuld

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Thanks.

The chinese sellers don't make it clear what they have in stock. Only today two guys got stainless steel Merlins from same vendor. Other was V1, other was V2.

Would you recommend which one for 80/20 juices ?

Thanks in advance.
Either should be fine. I'm running 87vg in my v1 currently.

iVape

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
From what ive gathered so far, above ohm it works well. Those that have had leaking issues in the begining theirs works now that they figured out how to control the wicking.

Those of us that have had no leaking issues since day 1 are having an issue with subohm and burnt/dry hits with NO flavor..........AT ALL. I spoke to a couple other guys here that the same thing is happening. Were under the assumption we may have just gotten a slightly defective or just not perfect unit.

Dont get me wrong I think its a great tank I love everything about it but I just cant get a good vape off it. Its a sad day. I dont think its user error becouse I have skills with building and I have some others that will back me that they are going through the same.

Looking for the answer,
:)

dshuld

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
From what ive gathered so far, above ohm it works well. Those that have had leaking issues in the begining theirs works now that they figured out how to control the wicking.

Those of us that have had no leaking issues since day 1 are having an issue with subohm and burnt/dry hits with NO flavor..........AT ALL. I spoke to a couple other guys here that the same thing is happening. Were under the assumption we may have just gotten a slightly defective or just not perfect unit.

Dont get me wrong I think its a great tank I love everything about it but I just cant get a good vape off it. Its a sad day. I dont think its user error becouse I have skills with building and I have some others that will back me that they are going through the same.

Looking for the answer,
:)
Not sure how to help you either on this one. Neither merlins have had the leaking issues described by others. I do have some airflow when my afc is closed but no leaking.

So far we've tried (all diy with varying % off vg, highest vg being my orange in now) skittles, blue slushy, red licorice, tiger's blood, orange, guava orange, strawberry-watermelon and all have tasted as they should or better when compared to my other attys. Sucks some of you aren't enjoying yours as much as we've been enjoying them.

VU Sponsors