Become a Patron!

The Merlin RTA by Augvape and Roxy

OhmzRaw

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes! Minikin RAW...love it. The Curve setting is nice once you get it set up! Can't wait for the "patina" to start working it's way into the surface of this mod. May have to tone down the brightness of the Merlin Mini to match! LOL
6bd267d630155d1f29621153eba17e93.jpg

Patina the merlin mini you could also bring that Minikin to a mirror finish then it will match perfectly.

ninogui

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just to feedback here

After buying the ammit I went and got a merlin mini and so far in 3 diff builds leaking from the inner center happens every time just like many others here
whatever the cotton placement and length it leaks, and 50/50 liquids are close to impossible to use
Almost sure am doing nothing wrong really, also followed Ohmzraw guide in the review just in case
Put it aside to try later to understand what is happening, I think I will open the deck standing still with pure pg and leave it alone for some time to check if the leaking is in the center 510 connection or in the airflow, or none at all and its my error somehow
If still no success I will not prime it, and close it in to try to create a higher inner vacuum

DP2Raja

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Just to feedback here
After buying the ammit I went and got a merlin mini and so far in 3 diff builds leaking from the inner center happens every time just like many others here
whatever the cotton placement and length it leaks, and 50/50 liquids are close to impossible to use
Almost sure am doing nothing wrong really, also followed Ohmzraw guide in the review just in case
Put it aside to try later to understand what is happening, I think I will open the deck standing still with pure pg and leave it alone for some time to check if the leaking is in the center 510 connection or in the airflow, or none at all and its my error somehow
If still no success I will not prime it, and close it in to try to create a higher inner vacuum

Sorry to hear that. I have two Merlins, one black and one silver. I bought these when they first came out. The black one has the leak, the SS one has never leaked a drop after months of use. Using it this morning and still solid as a rock with outstanding flavor.

There are some "solutions" to the leaking earlier in this thread. Some seem to have been successful. I have not bothered trying any of the suggestions on my black one, I just put it away and use the SS one.

I recently got the Merlin Mini and it has no leaks. I have not heard of any leaks on it. It has a slightly different build deck and bottom section. Mine is vaping like a champ. Only drawback is the 2ml tank. But it is an easy top fill and is worth the effort of refilling as needed.

Good luck on yours. Wish I could be of more help, but it has all been said earlier in this section and I cannot add anything to the wise one from pages past.

ninogui

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well in the end I kinda sorted it out.

I´ll share my findings, maybe this helps someone else

while building on the single coil deck I never used any of the 2 airflow reducers, was building with no screw at all. Tried using the reducers and got no leak at all !
you will notice the reducers notch head protrude up from where it is attached, and left over juice or drops from the cotton don´t go so easy in the hole.
With no reducers the airflow center hole is leveled with the center pool area, making it easier to leak down.
Also as posted before it should be primed with just 2 to 4 drops so a stronger vacuum is created when opening the juice control port.

Just for sake keeps I might drill wide one of the reducers, won´t be using them anyway

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Looks like glass within glass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's not. It's the software program. We already asked.

Variety's the very spice of life, that gives it all it's flavour.

-William Cowper

Deeks

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hard to tell for sure but I hope this isn't going to be press fit garbage. The Merlin mini apparently solved that problem but 2ml capacity meh... :( I know some people have zero issues with the press fit but every single tank I've owned that is built that way has the same exact issues so... never again! lol.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hard to tell for sure but I hope this isn't going to be press fit garbage. The Merlin mini apparently solved that problem but 2ml capacity meh... :( I know some people have zero issues with the press fit but every single tank I've owned that is built that way has the same exact issues so... never again! lol.

Well, I have to give Augvape credit where credit is due. They replaced all 4 bases on my original Merlin and so far no seeping. I should have the Merlin Mini any day now and after I spend a few days with it I will do a full written review. That new Merlin looks promising with that bell cap design and that skinny chimney the flavor should be on point. Can't wait to see the deck. I really don't like either of the DT's. I don't know why they just don't go with the original Merlin DT. IMO its one of the best DT's out there.

Deeks

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My wife has 3 Merlins and admittedly they worked fine for a number of months, but once that weeping/seeping started it never stopped. So it feel like to me that the press fit just eventually loosens itself? Is that the right way to say it lol.. On the other hand all the other press fit tanks I've had experienced problems pretty much right away.

I agree with you on the drip tip, should have stuck with the original! I've seriously thought about buying more Merlins just for the DT! They work great on the Boreas as I'm sure I've mentioned 80 times by now lol.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
My wife has 3 Merlins and admittedly they worked fine for a number of months, but once that weeping/seeping started it never stopped. So it feel like to me that the press fit just eventually loosens itself? Is that the right way to say it lol.. On the other hand all the other press fit tanks I've had experienced problems pretty much right away.

I agree with you on the drip tip, should have stuck with the original! I've seriously thought about buying more Merlins just for the DT! They work great on the Boreas as I'm sure I've mentioned 80 times by now lol.

I've looked all over for that stupid DT and I can't find it. If anyone has a link to a Merlin style DT I'd certainly appreciate it.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, I have to give Augvape credit where credit is due. They replaced all 4 bases on my original Merlin and so far no seeping. I should have the Merlin Mini any day now and after I spend a few days with it I will do a full written review. That new Merlin looks promising with that bell cap design and that skinny chimney the flavor should be on point. Can't wait to see the deck. I really don't like either of the DT's. I don't know why they just don't go with the original Merlin DT. IMO its one of the best DT's out there.
Someone from Augvape finally reached out to me via this thread. So, sadly for us it's been decided, no extension chimney for the Merlin Mini :tantrum:
The next rollout will be the Merlin 22.
So since I had their ear, I decided to address their customer service, rather the lack of it. They assured me they are aware and are working at getting better.
I also brought up my seeping Merlin's. After a bit of back & forth, they offered me a Merlin 22 instead of sending me 5 bases for my Merlin's. Their reasoning was if the Merlin's seep & we have tried to no avail to remedy won't the new bases also seep? Of course they played up the we would have to wait until they had the samples to send to me & wont it be exciting since I would be one of the first to receive one. They are awaiting my response what should I do?

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Get it, Merlin 22 is not press fitted, the replacement Merlin base is press fitted and will eventually leak sooner or later ...
Furthermore Merlin 22 looks very promising
Thanks, where did you see they are not press fit?

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Someone from Augvape finally reached out to me via this thread. So, sadly for us it's been decided, no extension chimney for the Merlin Mini :tantrum:
The next rollout will be the Merlin 22.
So since I had their ear, I decided to address their customer service, rather the lack of it. They assured me they are aware and are working at getting better.
I also brought up my seeping Merlin's. After a bit of back & forth, they offered me a Merlin 22 instead of sending me 5 bases for my Merlin's. Their reasoning was if the Merlin's seep & we have tried to no avail to remedy won't the new bases also seep? Of course they played up the we would have to wait until they had the samples to send to me & wont it be exciting since I would be one of the first to receive one. They are awaiting my response what should I do?
Take the 22. That's what I like about Augvape. They at least listen. You may not always like the answer but they do listen. Most companies just ignore complaints. Glad they are taking care of you on the 22.

-William Cowper

KAS129

Member For 4 Years
Take the 22. That's what I like about Augvape. They at least listen. You may not always like the answer but they do listen. Most companies just ignore complaints. Glad they are taking care of you on the 22.

-William Cowper
Not bitching at you Deuces, but bullshit. I have tried to contact them in every way I can think of. The only response I got was to be told to come here and let the good people of VU solve the leaking problem with my 4 POS Merlins. I won't ever give them another dollar of my money. I wouldn't chip in for a cup of water if everybody at Augvape including their pretend designer were on fire.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Not bitching at you Deuces, but bullshit. I have tried to contact them in every way I can think of. The only response I got was to be told to come here and let the good people of VU solve the leaking problem with my 4 POS Merlins. I won't ever give them another dollar of my money. I wouldn't chip in for a cup of water if everybody at Augvape including their pretend designer were on fire.
sounds like i need to try my merlin but do it in a way that leaves a towel under it lol

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hand them your just filled Merlin?

(I kid, I kid, but yeah, that was my experience, too.)

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You can call Bullshit all you want. I'm not making it up. When the Mini first came out I kind of trolled them on YouTube and FB about the seeping on the original Merlin. I got a message on Fb asking for my address. 4 weeks later I had 4 new bases. I'm truly sorry your experience was not the same as mine but I can only comment on the experiences I have had. So far Augvape has done the right thing by me. Did it take some pushing and prodding? Yes, but eventually they stepped up. One things for sure though. This Merlin Mini is one hell of a flavor tank. Not only is the flavor great but this tank has some diversity to it. You can run all different types of airflows as well as a single or dual coil. It's your right to personally boycott Augvape. I don't tell anyone how to spend their money because it's really none of business. To not give the Mini a shot though would mean you are probably missing out on one of the best flavor tanks of 2016 IMO.

If you want I'll gladly pm you the contact on fb?

-William Cowper

Last edited:

KAS129

Member For 4 Years
You can call Bullshit all you want. I'm not making it up. When the Mini first came out I kind of trolled them on YouTube and FB about the seeping on the original Merlin. I got a message on Fb asking for my address. 4 weeks later I had 4 new bases. I'm truly sorry your experience was not the same as mine but I can only comment on the experiences I have had. So far Augvape has done the right thing by me. Did it take some pushing and prodding? Yes, but eventually they stepped up. One things for sure though. This Merlin Mini is one hell of a flavor tank. Not only is the flavor great but this tank has some diversity to it. You can run all different types of airflows as well as a single or dual coil. It's your right to personally boycott Augvape. I don't tell anyone how to spend their money because it's really none of business. To not give the Mini a shot though would mean you are probably missing out on one of the best flavor tanks of 2016 IMO.

-William Cowper
Deuces,
I have no doubt that they responded to you exactly as you have said. You are and have always been a trusted and valuable resource on the forum for me and many others. I also have no reason to doubt you about the performance of the Mini. At this point it is the principle of the matter. Regardless of the newer offerings, they fucked alot of people with the original Merlin and seem less than eager to even attempt to offer any kind of consistent customer service. After spending $120 on 4 useless tanks I have no desire to risk more $ dealing with a company with whom my experience to date has been nothing short of Shady to say the least. If at some point in time they do the right thing or at least make a reasonable attempt, I promise to report that the same as I reported on the negative.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Deuces,
I have no doubt that they responded to you exactly as you have said. You are and have always been a trusted and valuable resource on the forum for me and many others. I also have no reason to doubt you about the performance of the Mini. At this point it is the principle of the matter. Regardless of the newer offerings, they fucked alot of people with the original Merlin and seem less than eager to even attempt to offer any kind of consistent customer service. After spending $120 on 4 useless tanks I have no desire to risk more $ dealing with a company with whom my experience to date has been nothing short of Shady to say the least. If at some point in time they do the right thing or at least make a reasonable attempt, I promise to report that the same as I reported on the negative.
Fair enough. Appreciate the kind words. I didn't mean to imply that you were attacking me. For the record I never took it that way. I'm going to be dropping my written review of the Merlin Mini in a few days. I'm also going to do a Single Coil Shootout. I'm still waiting on a few more single coilers to get here from China. When I'm done with everything if you want I'll gladly send you the Mini just so can try it out and see what I'm talking about.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Fair enough. Appreciate the kind words. I didn't mean to imply that you were attacking me. For the record I never took it that way. I'm going to be dropping my written review of the Merlin Mini in a few days. I'm also going to do a Single Coil Shootout. I'm still waiting on a few more single coilers to get here from China. When I'm done with everything if you want I'll gladly send you the Mini just so can try it out and see what I'm talking about.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
U gotta try the alpha one man. I'm telling u. It's still 5 bucks on vaporworld.biz for one more day

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
U gotta try the alpha one man. I'm telling u. It's still 5 bucks on vaporworld.biz for one more day

Yeah I know but I promised myself no new hardware purchases till February. Shit, I still have Black Friday packages arriving.

-William Cowper

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Yeah I know but I promised myself no new hardware purchases till February. Shit, I still have Black Friday packages arriving.

-William Cowper
I made the same promise to myself 10 times. I just don't honor it lol a single coil rta with huge 5ml capacity and great flavor. It's right up your alley

awoodby

Member For 4 Years
SO. I have a normal Merlin, with the round juice holes. I have no leak problems,and really like the flavor, but I DO get dry hits semiregularly, over many many rebuilds (I have to just do short draws to be sure) Still love the thing, which does say a lot that the dry/burnt hits aren't THAT common. I'm still using it! (I have...a lot of tanks)

JUST got the Merlin Mini. Too little juice, but otherwise much improved! I love the larger fill holes in the top, I LOVE the larger juice ports too!

SO! Is there a Merlin2 fullsize with better juice flow? Is that going to be the 22? Most importantly, when and where can I get one!! :)

excuse me while I refill my mini again!

--Alex

Or maybe I take a dremel and make those tiny holes a bit less tiny!

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah I would love to see the original Merlin in a 25 or 26. Basically a Boreas with a Merlin single coil deck would suit me just fine.

-William Cowper

mhertz

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
SO. I have a normal Merlin, with the round juice holes. I have no leak problems,and really like the flavor, but I DO get dry hits semiregularly, over many many rebuilds (I have to just do short draws to be sure) Still love the thing, which does say a lot that the dry/burnt hits aren't THAT common. I'm still using it! (I have...a lot of tanks)[...]
If you haven't already, then try e.g. 2.5mm ID spaced coil, like simple 24g kanthal 8 wraps. If you have wicking issues, then more cotton(as in bigger ID) isn't the answer, in contrary to popular belief, and spaced coils "wicks" better especially with thicker liquids as the heat is spread-out more over wet wick instead of concentrated over shorter area. I had same issue as you with contact-coils, and had to like you take semi-short draws at times. I use 95% VG DIY btw and when cold/not vaped for a while, I can have issues. Contact coils works, but needs lowered wattage imho(compared to spaced). I do like the lowered power-requirements and faster rampup of contact-coils though.

Loving my merlin btw :) The smooth draw reminds me of my old kfl+ i've not used for years, but just with more airflow. Wide-open is the perfect slightly restricted DL draw for me. Thanks roxy and augvape.

...Tired of "cloudchasing" with high-powered dual-coil RDA/RTA builds and loving the single-coil RTA experience with reduced juice and battery consumption. A common evolution of many vapers I believe :)

Last edited:

ben73

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you haven't already, then try e.g. 2.5mm ID spaced coil, like simple 24g kanthal 8 wraps. If you have wicking issues, then more cotton(as in bigger ID) isn't the answer, in contrary to popular belief, and spaced coils "wicks" better especially with thicker liquids as the heat is spread-out more over wet wick instead of concentrated over shorter area. I had same issue as you with contact-coils, and had to like you take semi-short draws at times. I use 95% VG DIY btw and when cold/not vaped for a while, I can have issues. Contact coils works, but needs lowered wattage imho(compared to spaced). I do like the lowered power-requirements and faster rampup of contact-coils though.

Loving my merlin btw :) The smooth draw reminds me of my old kfl+ i've not used for years, but just with more airflow. Wide-open is the perfect slightly restricted DL draw for me. Thanks roxy and augvape.

...Tired of "cloudchasing" with high-powered dual-coil RDA/RTA builds and loving the single-coil RTA experience with reduced juice and battery consumption. A common evolution of many vapers I believe :)
Try the Scottish roll method of Wicking style , msny have over come dry hits using less wick , but the way its done make it seem like theres more , but it gives a lot more air within the wick more air more juices it holds ,
6799bb9968c943a5746eb11f0c86da91.jpg

Just space your cotton out as thinnly as you can, web like
Then when gently roll it back into a roll leave it very open , you need less cotton
a8dcd27b63c00ae6c9549bfc2083a343.jpg

But it looks like your using a lot more , this allows better efficient Wicking style , since using this method I have avoided dry hits on many different types of decks tanks drippers in many different sized builds ,
Worth a try , you lose nothing by giving it ago

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

mhertz

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks mate, I did know about the scottish-roll method, but never actually tried it out, so thanks for the suggestion and I will give it a test for sure.

Hi all.
This is my first post in this forum so do be gentle with me.
I own 4 Augvape Merlin minis. Unfortunately yesterday while I was washing and cleaning them one fell down and my AFC ring got bent so hard that I cant put it back on the bottom section.
Is there a way to purchase a spare AFC ring and spare o-rings?

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi all.
This is my first post in this forum so do be gentle with me.
I own 4 Augvape Merlin minis. Unfortunately yesterday while I was washing and cleaning them one fell down and my AFC ring got bent so hard that I cant put it back on the bottom section.
Is there a way to purchase a spare AFC ring and spare o-rings?
The only thing I could think of is to try & contact Augvape on Facebook.

DavidOH

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I got one of the first Merlin's. It stays in it's box never to be used again. Nothing I tried would keep it from either leaking or dry hitting. So I gave it up as a lost cause and moved on.:wave:

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I got one of the first Merlin's. It stays in it's box never to be used again. Nothing I tried would keep it from either leaking or dry hitting. So I gave it up as a lost cause and moved on.:wave:
Was it the typical seeping from the bottom of the base or leaking out of the afc?

VU Sponsors