Become a Patron!

The Nicoiler - my homemade coiler to make coils with spaced wraps

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This may be of interest to those of you making Ni200 coils for use with a temperature control mod.

If you've watched Busardo's latest video on the DNA40, at some point he complains that the automatic coilers available on the market today (Kuro Koiler, Coil Master and others) aren't suitable to make coils with spaced wraps - which are indeed better for nickel coils. He also says the machine screw method is a PITA. Here's the section of the video in question:

Well, he's right. So I figured I'd share my own little tool to make spaced wraps coils. I named it the Nicoiler - since its primary use is to wrap nickel coils for temperature control mods - and you can make one yourself at home for very cheap too!

Here it is:

nicoiler-homemade_spaced_coil_wrapper_zpszjjy808q.jpg

As you can see, it's just a rod with one end curled up for easy manipulation, and a barrel with a guiding tooth that slides onto it. Two simple parts, that's it. Totally no-nonsense. Mine makes 2.5 mm diameter coils.

Here's a video of the thing in action:

If you want to make one, you just need to find a straight rod of the diameter of your choosing (mine comes from the core of an old arc welding rod), drill a hole of the same diameter through a round barrel of some kind, file a tooth on one end, and cut a narrow slit to guide the wire almost at the edge of the tooth with a hobby saw.

Here are closeups of the tooth:

nicoiler_tooth_closeup2_zpsoufibp2j.jpg

nicoiler_tooth_closeup1_zpswbiv9a3e.jpg

The slit is 0.5 mm wide (the width of the hobby saw's blade) and the overhanging "lip" is 0.3 mm thick. In other words, it can guide wires up to 0.5 mm thick, and provided the barrel is pushed properly against the previous wrap while coiling, the gap between the wraps is 0.3 mm.

I also use it to make touching wrap coils: all I have to do is heat up the spaced coil it's just produced and compress it with a pair of pliers. It's an extra step, but considering that I didn't have to pay a dime for my gizmo, I'm okay with that.

I hope this'll inspire you to make your own :)

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i havent tried it yet but i have heard you can wrap parallel coils with a kuro or similar coilers. if you can all you need to do is pull out the first wrap, separate them and you have two perfect spaced coils

just another tip for the thread :)

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This may be of interest to those of you making Ni200 coils for use with a temperature control mod.

If you've watched Busardo's latest video on the DNA40, at some point he complains that the automatic coilers available on the market today (Kuro Koiler, Coil Master and others) aren't suitable to make coils with spaced wraps - which are indeed better for nickel coils. He also says the machine screw method is a PITA. Here's the section of the video in question:

Well, he's right. So I figured I'd share my own little tool to make spaced wraps coils. I named it the Nicoiler - since its primary use is to wrap nickel coils for temperature control mods - and you can make one yourself at home for very cheap too!

Here it is:

nicoiler-homemade_spaced_coil_wrapper_zpszjjy808q.jpg

As you can see, it's just a rod with one end curled up for easy manipulation, and a barrel with a guiding tooth that slides onto it. Two simple parts, that's it. Totally no-nonsense. Mine makes 2.5 mm diameter coils.

Here's a video of the thing in action:

If you want to make one, you just need to find a straight rod of the diameter of your choosing (mine comes from the core of an old arc welding rod), drill a hole of the same diameter through a round barrel of some kind, file a tooth on one end, and cut a narrow slit to guide the wire almost at the edge of the tooth with a hobby saw.

Here are closeups of the tooth:

nicoiler_tooth_closeup2_zpsoufibp2j.jpg

nicoiler_tooth_closeup1_zpswbiv9a3e.jpg

The slit is 0.5 mm wide (the width of the hobby saw's blade) and the overhanging "lip" is 0.3 mm thick. In other words, it can guide wires up to 0.5 mm thick, and provided the barrel is pushed properly against the previous wrap while coiling, the gap between the wraps is 0.3 mm.

I also use it to make touching wrap coils: all I have to do is heat up the spaced coil it's just produced and compress it with a pair of pliers. It's an extra step, but considering that I didn't have to pay a dime for my gizmo, I'm okay with that.

I hope this'll inspire you to make your own :)
Thats pretty slick..

Someone will be selling these in a month :)

nodor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Can't thank you enough for posting this. I made one this morning using brass rod. I have a bought one for regular coils on its way from fasttech so this will work with it perfectly. One modification I made which may or may not be beneficial is the guide tooth block extends over about 30% of the rod hole so wire is trapped in there.

Attachments

• coiljig.jpg
    coiljig.jpg
    364.4 KB · Views: 93

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sweet! Great idea, thanks for sharing.

Did you do that on a lathe or just freehand it with a grinder?

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Can't thank you enough for posting this. I made one this morning using brass rod. I have a bought one for regular coils on its way from fasttech so this will work with it perfectly. One modification I made which may or may not be beneficial is the guide tooth block extends over about 30% of the rod hole so wire is trapped in there.

Neat! Good job.

Yep, I have another tool like yours (with a half-circle tooth). You can see it in action, with a separate wire holder, at some point in this video. It works fine. The only problem is, if the overhanging bit of the tooth is very thin, then its "wings" tend to buckle very easily. I expect your brass tooth is even more fragile than my steel version, too. Still, with a little care, no problems.

Also, I wanted to post a photo of something functional and square-ish, to avoid scaring people with something that looks too complicated.

Sweet! Great idea, thanks for sharing.

Did you do that on a lathe or just freehand it with a grinder?

I only drilled the 2.5mm hole with a lathe. But it's perfectly doable with a regular drill and a small press extension. The lug doesn't really need to rotate perfectly centered or anything. It is just a simple hand tool after all...

I did the tooth with files and a small hobby saw. No sense in firing up the milling machine for a quick job like this :)

Last edited:

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll be having a chat with my local machining shop in a few days (for my work, nothing to do with vaping) and I'm thinking of having him quote a price for a small run of this little tool.

So out of curiosity, to gauge the "market", could you tell me in you'd be interested in buying one, and if so, at what price (excl. shipping)?

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'll be having a chat with my local machining shop in a few days (for my work, nothing to do with vaping) and I'm thinking of having him quote a price for a small run of this little tool.

So out of curiosity, to gauge the "market", could you tell me in you'd be interested in buying one, and if so, at what price (excl. shipping)?
I'd buy.. Price would depend on how good it looks and works.

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You can make spaced could with a coil master. Unscrew the little screw half way on the cap your using and let your wire fall between the edge of the cap and the screw. Apply a little force by pulling on the cap a bit as you twist is and wrap it a little slower than normal. I do it with my 22ga all the time. May take a few practice coils to get it, but it works well.

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media

If you do have a small run of these, I'd be in for one if they were $5-$10 or so ... :D

tchavei

Member For 4 Years
I'm in for under 10 bucks. I do have a left hand screw that also does the job but this looks cool

Regards
Tony

Sent from my keyboard through my phone or something like that.

DirtyGoat

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
love that our community knows how to use thought and innovation to achieve our goals. Great work poster.

Majistir

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Love it!

You should consider a threaded rod to match the pitch of that leg holder part. Having a threading rod to keep the coils in place makes it easier to keep the coils separated when attaching to the deck. At least for me.

Hope that made sense. Hah

StanM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Love it!

You should consider a threaded rod to match the pitch of that leg holder part. Having a threading rod to keep the coils in place makes it easier to keep the coils separated when attaching to the deck. At least for me.

Hope that made sense. Hah
Kind of makes you think that a wing-nut with a hole to hold the wire on a threaded rod would make sense as a coiler. hmmmmmm

VU Sponsors