Become a Patron!

The official directory - Learn to build from beginner to advanced (and more)

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
alright, this is a work in progress thread, which aims to act as a listing for all of the 'official' threads in the building section of the forum. the 'post your builds' thread is full of good info, but its getting huge, and lots of the info and questions have been asked/answered repeatedly throughout. the idea behind the 'official' threads, is to have threads dedicated to specific topics or questions that come up a lot, so that specific info is easy to find. to keep them easy to find, they started getting 'stickied' on the top of the forum/page, but there are a lot of them (and more coming). this thread is an attempt to organize them and keep them all stickied at the top of the page a little more efficiently.

if you are interested in learning to build, or to up your building game a little, we should have most of the bases covered with the following threads on specific builds or techniques. even if you would rather buy your coils than make them, have a look around and familiarize yourself with the different terminology and details. it could save you from buying 'alien' coils that are not alien coils :D

here are links to all of the official build/technique threads we have so far:

these threads are about building, but not about specific coils or techniques. here we will collect threads on building related topics like coil photography, tools and batteries. some of these threads are 'essential' info for anyone starting out. steam-engine is a very important tool, not only for builders, but for anyone who uses rebuildable atomizers (pre-made coils, spools of clapton wire, wire shots etc) to be in full control of whats going on. battery safety is a topic that everyone who vapes should be an expert on as well. no matter what setup you use, knowing your batteries will allow you to get the best out of them, and be as safe as possible.

and here are the build related official threads:

we can also use this thread to discuss topics for future 'official' threads, or whether or not one is required for a certain topic. everyone is welcome to get involved. have a look through the topics already covered/linked above, and see if theres anything missing that you could start or request a thread on. i try to include a description of the technique/build/topic, then explain how to do it enough to get someone started out in trying it themselves. the main draw is the other people who come in with questions/answers/perspectives that really fill in all the details. you dont have to be a pro builder to contribute, so dont be shy if you have an idea :hug:

Last edited:

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
to get the discussion started, i am thinking my next 'official' thread is going to be old school builds for rookies to get started on. like a thread that covers all the stuff you can hit on your first try, doesnt require claptoning anything/swivels etc...things like parallel, twisted, helixed, reef, wave, tidal, tiger, hive etc. what do you think? too many builds for one thread? is it even necessary? i feel like a one-stop-shop for the very first beginner builds could be a way to get people interested by giving them a bunch of easy options to experiment with, and all those builds kinda form a clear progression into more advanced territory, so laying them out in order seems like a good idea for a thread like this.

input appreciated :cheers:

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
to get the discussion started, i am thinking my next 'official' thread is going to be old school builds for rookies to get started on. like a thread that covers all the stuff you can hit on your first try, doesnt require claptoning anything/swivels etc...things like parallel, twisted, helixed, reef, wave, tidal, tiger, hive etc. what do you think? too many builds for one thread? is it even necessary? i feel like a one-stop-shop for the very first beginner builds could be a way to get people interested by giving them a bunch of easy options to experiment with, and all those builds kinda form a clear progression into more advanced territory, so laying them out in order seems like a good idea for a thread like this.

input appreciated :cheers:
How about a thread for the even simpler single wire builds and wire types for good flavor, like simple spaced coils for low maintenance vaping, for those who don’t like building as an art form time consuming hobby? That would appeal to beginners and experienced vapors who think fancy coils are way overrated for the purpose of just vaping. :D

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Good ideas. I'm intimidated by building so I don't. I can wrap kanthal around a coil jig. Anything else is nope lol a progressive thread or guide would be helpful and might steer people like me in the right direction. Of course I'd have to have a desire to do more with my coils. I'm on the prebuilt train for now.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Excellent idea machine ...now we have this directory I have unstickied all of the current “official threads” and stickied this one so we can track where everything is located in one place :cheers:

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How about a thread for the even simpler single wire builds and wire types for good flavor, like simple spaced coils for low maintenance vaping, for those who don’t like building as an art form time consuming hobby? That would appeal to beginners and experienced vapors who think fancy coils are way overrated for the purpose of just vaping. :D
yeah it might be a good idea to do a thread on the most basic coil wrapping techniques (like how to use a jig, tricks to get perfect spaced wraps, what the difference is between spaced/contact coils, difference between ka1/n80/ss wires etc). my main point for the oldschool builds thread was to show a progression through to more advanced builds/topics, so it likely wouldnt cover spaced vs contact, coil jigs, maintenance, and stuff like that...

so a question for you now, are you volunteering to make it?

and a question for everyone else: do we need it? my vote is yes, i think we should start at the very beginning if we want to have new builders fully covered, and i like the idea of putting equal effort into teaching 'easy' stuff as we do for 'hard' stuff so that people of all levels can get something from all this. i often worry that we are alienating noobs with our higher level stuff, and regularly see people not wanting to post their builds because they are not fancy enough :(

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
yeah it might be a good idea to do a thread on the most basic coil wrapping techniques (like how to use a jig, tricks to get perfect spaced wraps, what the difference is between spaced/contact coils, difference between ka1/n80/ss wires etc). my main point for the oldschool builds thread was to show a progression through to more advanced builds/topics, so it likely wouldnt cover spaced vs contact, coil jigs, maintenance, and stuff like that...

and a question for everyone else: do we need it? my vote is yes, i think we should start at the very beginning if we want to have new builders fully covered, and i like the idea of putting equal effort into teaching 'easy' stuff as we do for 'hard' stuff so that people of all levels can get something from all this. i often worry that we are alienating noobs with our higher level stuff, and regularly see people not wanting to post their builds because they are not fancy enough :(

Love the idea and to be honest despite my passion for building coils I still use the basics a lot especially as my time is so restricted these days

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I still don't know how to freehand clapton so I vote yes. :giggle:

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
so i mostly hang around 'post your builds', and i totally forgot that @gbalkam has already made a great thread on basic builds, tuning/installing coils and all the topics @David Wolf was thinking we needed a thread on, so i added it to the top of the list (with permission). its a perfect fit for the series and a great start for anyone who is literally just starting out and hasnt even wrapped a round wire coil or installed/pulsed/tuned/wicked a build. its been around a while, and gone a little quiet at this point, but its a great place for discussion/questions on wrapping/installing/tuning/wicking/wire types/maintenance/wire and all the other topics relating to building coils.

thanks @gbalkam :cheers:

edit - if there are any other threads that i missed, that need to be linked in this thread, let me know :D

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Next in the coil building for dummies series... a 3 core clapton.
3x 26ga kanthal wrapped with 32ga stainless steel. (due to it is easier to see)

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Guys how to build a coil alien that produces a strong crackling sound
27/36 Ni80 at 5 wraps 2.5mm ID, dual coil = .11 ohms, on a single battery mech with one of these 3 battery choices:
  • Samsung 30T (21700)
  • Samsung 20S (18650)
  • Sanyo 2070C (20700)
kennedy_25.jpg

Either that or 29/36 Ni80 at 7 wraps 3mm ID, dual coil = .25 ohms, on a series mech with two identical batteries of those same 3 choices listed above... but remember, at .25 ohms on a pair of fully charged Samsung 20S batteries in series on a mech you are pushing close to 230 watts of power so, it doesn't work if you position the coils wrong and/or you don't know how to achieve the right airflow characteristics. If you fuck this up, you will not get a crackling sound... at best you'll only hear yourself coughing your lungs out.

29g aliens.jpg

On a regulated mod, typically the crackling sound will be much less pronounced. Especially on a series mech there might be other ways to also get there. But on a single battery mech, no... not possible to create a better build than the one that I described. Not that I'm aware of. So here's another tip. If you understretch your decore, just a very tiny little bit, then you'll get a tighter alien and the crackling sound will also be louder.

27/36 Ni80 at 5 wraps 2.5mm ID, dual coil = .11 ohms, on a single battery mech with one of these 3 battery choices:
  • Samsung 30T (21700)
  • Samsung 20S (18650)
  • Sanyo 2070C (20700)
View attachment 167126

Either that or 29/36 Ni80 at 7 wraps 3mm ID, dual coil = .25 ohms, on a series mech with two identical batteries of those same 3 choices listed above... but remember, at .25 ohms on a pair of fully charged Samsung 20S batteries in series on a mech you are pushing close to 230 watts of power so, it doesn't work if you position the coils wrong and/or you don't know how to achieve the right airflow characteristics. If you fuck this up, you will not get a crackling sound... at best you'll only hear yourself coughing your lungs out.

View attachment 167127

On a regulated mod, typically the crackling sound will be much less pronounced. Especially on a series mech there might be other ways to also get there. But on a single battery mech, no... not possible to create a better build than the one that I described. Not that I'm aware of. So here's another tip. If you understretch your decore, just a very tiny little bit, then you'll get a tighter alien and the crackling sound will also be louder.
I will try to extend the outer and tell you tx bro:bliss:<3

• Samsung 30T (21700)
  • Samsung 20S (18650)
  • Sanyo 2070C (20700)
View attachment 167126

View attachment 167127

What do you mean by (understretch)? Does it mean to stretch it more?

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

The opposite ...don’t stretch it to the point it’s self winding only, it allows you to pull on it slightly to maintain the lead and tension as you go

this bit is very much a feel thing some like to stretch the wrap a little more so you don’t have to maintain too much tension, over-stretching though is bad and will result in a failed build

The opposite ...don’t stretch it to the point it’s self winding only, it allows you to pull on it slightly to maintain the lead and tension as you go

this bit is very much a feel thing some like to stretch the wrap a little more so you don’t have to maintain too much tension, over-stretching though is bad and will result in a failed build
perfect "I understand what you mean :bliss:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
No. Understretch = stretch less. Overstretch = stretch more.

The amount of stretch is easier to see if you put a white piece of paper behind your decore. Also use a magnifier if necessary, but remember that the stretched decore is still springy so, to be able to see the amount of stretch correctly, you might want to release the tension on it before you inspect it.

I'm generally looking for my de-core to be presenting right angles to me when I look at it side on. Not sure where that fits in the over/under stretch spectrum but more often than not it works for me.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm generally looking for my de-core to be presenting right angles to me when I look at it side on. Not sure where that fits in the over/under stretch spectrum but more often than not it works for me.
Right angles = neither overstretch nor understretch. That's why it works, BUT... if the goal is to get a slightly tighter alien (just for looks and/or for a more vigorous crackling sound), then not so much.

Right angles = neither overstretch nor understretch. That's why it works, BUT... if the goal is to get a slightly tighter alien (just for looks and/or for a more vigorous crackling sound), then not so much.
I’d imagine that’s fine with a three core alien but I suspect that, for something like a five core, I would probably end up collapsing my cores. Maybe that sort of feel comes with more experience than I currently have. It could just be me but I also seem to get my tightness right when I get the angle spot on and go fairly fast on the drill. Very few gaps I’ve found when those two factors are in play.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I’d imagine that’s fine with a three core alien but I suspect that, for something like a five core, I would probably end up collapsing my cores. Maybe that sort of feel comes with more experience than I currently have. It could just be me but I also seem to get my tightness right when I get the angle spot on and go fairly fast on the drill. Very few gaps I’ve found when those two factors are in play.
Yeah, adding more cores and also decreasing the thickness of the cores is what tends to make them more easily collapse, if the amount of understretch is more than just the very tiniest visible amount. Getting a feel for these types of homeopathy-like subtleties does come with experience... and the ability to stay focussed. It's a Zen thing. lol

And yes, focussing on the angle and nothing but the angle is the key, as is going fairly fast on the drill immediately (or pretty much immediately anyway) after starting up slow watching it catch. The fairly fast drill speed causes the wire to be slammed in place with every half turn, and so it looks perfectly tight, but you can still make it a very tiny little bit tighter like I previously explained. The difference is just barely visible. But you can hear it when you vape it, and you can hear it profoundly.

With a pair of tri-core 27/36 Ni80 aliens at 5 wraps 2.5mm on a single battery mech, it sounds like a rocket engine. The type of light spitback that this produces is actually a tenuous haze that, IME anyway, blends in with the vapor itself, and does so in such a particular way that it adds on a pleasant texture as for how the vape feels. And it boosts the flavor depth. Noticeably so. If, on the other hand, the coils have not been dry fired sufficiently long before the first use, typically what happens next is the spitback burns your tongue and palate like a storm of stinging needles. Either that or the vape will simply be too hot because the speed of vapor production will not be evenly balanced along the surface of the coil so it emits powerful volcanic geyser-like jets of scaldingly hot steam that causes blisters inside your mouth. The trick, then, is to work out all the hot spots correctly out of the coils and finally dry fire them for up to a few seconds before you wick it up the first time. That plus also taking into account that choosing the right type of atomizer for the job, dealing with coil positioning and airflow adjustment, and lining up the strength of your draw are all equally paramount to be able to get a satisfying vape from angry coils nearing 130 watts. (Even, if you choose the wrong height drip tip or wrong shaped one, it might actually hurt and/or it might hold the flavor back noticeably.) Hit or miss. lol

Don't make it complicated. Take it easy. Start in a big corner

Yeah, adding more cores and also decreasing the thickness of the cores is what tends to make them more easily collapse, if the amount of understretch is more than just the very tiniest visible amount. Getting a feel for these types of homeopathy-like subtleties does come with experience... and the ability to stay focussed. It's a Zen thing. lol

And yes, focussing on the angle and nothing but the angle is the key, as is going fairly fast on the drill immediately (or pretty much immediately anyway) after starting up slow watching it catch. The fairly fast drill speed causes the wire to be slammed in place with every half turn, and so it looks perfectly tight, but you can still make it a very tiny little bit tighter like I previously explained. The difference is just barely visible. But you can hear it when you vape it, and you can hear it profoundly.

With a pair of tri-core 27/36 Ni80 aliens at 5 wraps 2.5mm on a single battery mech, it sounds like a rocket engine. The type of light spitback that this produces is actually a tenuous haze that, IME anyway, blends in with the vapor itself, and does so in such a particular way that it adds on a pleasant texture as for how the vape feels. And it boosts the flavor depth. Noticeably so. If, on the other hand, the coils have not been dry fired sufficiently long before the first use, typically what happens next is the spitback burns your tongue and palate like a storm of stinging needles. Either that or the vape will simply be too hot because the speed of vapor production will not be evenly balanced along the surface of the coil so it emits powerful volcanic geyser-like jets of scaldingly hot steam that causes blisters inside your mouth. The trick, then, is to work out all the hot spots correctly out of the coils and finally dry fire them for up to a few seconds before you wick it up the first time. That plus also taking into account that choosing the right type of atomizer for the job, dealing with coil positioning and airflow adjustment, and lining up the strength of your draw are all equally paramount to be able to get a satisfying vape from angry coils nearing 130 watts. (Even, if you choose the wrong height drip tip or wrong shaped one, it might actually hurt and/or it might hold the flavor back noticeably.) Hit or miss. lol
Thanks @Carambrda that seems to make sense. Bit of a risk to take in order to get funky sound effects though. I might experiment with a slight under stretch on some three cores at first to see how it works. I'm more interested in flavour production than sounds but let's see anyway. I'm guessing that understretching would be easier with a higher gauge wrap wire as that requires less tension.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thanks @Carambrda that seems to make sense. Bit of a risk to take in order to get funky sound effects though. I might experiment with a slight under stretch on some three cores at first to see how it works. I'm more interested in flavour production than sounds but let's see anyway. I'm guessing that understretching would be easier with a higher gauge wrap wire as that requires less tension.
With a 36g Ni80 decore and using 27g Ni80 for the cores it really isn't too difficult. Just make sure that the amount of understretch is very tiny, and apply only very mild tension on the stretched decore when aliening.

VU Sponsors