Become a Patron!

The Science and Process of your Ejuice's Scent

QuestForVapology

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
For the savvy DIYers who are really interested in the scent process. Taken from one of Glade's blog posts I thought was interesting.

----
“Notes” are descriptors of scents in a fragrance, and each fragrance consists of three different levels:

1. Top notes, also called “head notes,” are made up of many light molecules that quickly evaporate, and give us our first impression of a fragrance. They’re generally scents that are fresh, assertive and familiar, like berries or citrus.

2. Middle notes are the second wave of a fragrance, and appear just as the top notes begin to dissipate. Generally more mellow and subdued, they form the main body of a fragrance. Common middle notes, such as lavender and rose, are also known as the “heart notes.” Isn’t that lovely?

3. Last come the base notes. Largely rich and deep, they add depth to a fragrance and generally aren’t noticeable until a short time after a fragrance appears. Interestingly, some base notes are initially unpleasant to our noses, and are often masked by middle notes until they become more agreeable.
-----

I believe (not fact) that the most popular ejuices are connected to our memories. The olfactory bulb transmits smells from our nose to our brain. It’s closely associated with the limbic system, which controls our memories and emotions (also taken from the blog's post). This would explain why cereal flavors are so popular, and why there is such a diverse amount of ADV (all day vape flavors).

It's not just the nicotine giving us a buzz, there's a lot of emotions tied to scents.

Everyone has their own sentimental scents. For me, it's weirdly Dial soap, which reminds me of art class in elementary school. Though I'm probably not gonna make a Dial soap vape flavor.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have tried the whole scent mixing for ejuice.
Good idea just does not lend it's self to taste really well.

QuestForVapology

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Taste buds allow us to perceive only a small amount of bitter, salty, sweet, and sour flavors. It's the odor molecules from food that give us most of our taste sensation. Try holding your nose when you eat chocolate. You won't even know it's chocolate.

Model_A_Ford

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Google esters and taste and olfactory and you'll have more actual science than you can shake an entire tree of sticks at.

VU Sponsors