Become a Patron!

The Vaping Musicians Thread!

Hey! it's just Ray...

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Bluesy Vaper Rock Drummer here in KC. Welcome!

0704131726a_zpsfba8b3ea.jpg

JLFROST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Loving that Ludwig, my first kit when I was a young lad was a Ludwig and I had a coconut sitting on my bass. I had made some kind of tiki thing out of it and thought it was awesome.
I had started when I was 13 or 14, and sadly gave it up when I was around 16 because my mom could no longer afford the lessons.

Hey! it's just Ray...

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks!
Never too late bro! I didn't get a kit till I was 44. I'll be 50 this summer.

I was always waiting for that little extra money and one year lead to another and finally like 6 years ago I said fuck it all, I'm getting a kit!

The first kit was a bitch to come up with, the others seem to come easier after that. :D

mike-c

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
20140614_092811.jpg This is actually the only pic I got at the moment. Just two of my favorite axes. One on the right in an authentic U.S.A made Razorback. The other one was made overseas but it uses all American made parts. The real deal is HEAVY, but I love the sound of all mahogany.

Hey! it's just Ray...

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yet another drummer here. Funny that you put a call out for musicians and got three drummers. I also happen to make drums, if you guys are interested at looking. Www.rathkampdrums.com

No cig
Nice! I'm a true lugnut at heart. I like the deep wood ones loaded with lugs. No snare money in the near future bro, keeping up on vape gear and the bills the mailman brings me has me maxed out for a bit.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here are my axes. Like playing songs from the 1920's & 30's

3 Kamaka ukuleles. Made in Hawaii, solid koa wood. Concert size, and two Soprano's. The one on the far right was built in 1961.

3Kamakas.jpg

My Banjo uke, Made by George Banjo's, Somerville Tennessee. solid maple and ebony

banjoUke1.JPG

BanjoUke2.JPG

1947 Martin style 1 ukulele

martin1.jpg

martin2.jpg

George Harrison & Paul McCartney were big fans of the uke.
George with his Kamaka concert uke

georgeharrison.jpg

Here's a video of George playing "Devil and the deep blue sea" on a Kamaka Liliu 6 string ukulele

And yet another

Last edited:

mike-c

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Nice! I used to have a Martin when I was younger. I left it at a friend's house and it seemed to have crashed with someone's head while I was gone. I mean I agree with taking up for your family and all, but find something cheaper to use for crying out loud!

Hey! it's just Ray...

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Nice! I used to have a Martin when I was younger. I left it at a friend's house and it seemed to have crashed with someone's head while I was gone. I mean I agree with taking up for your family and all, but find something cheaper to use for crying out loud!
I'd have to give that friend a new nickname...'Martin'

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I'll play along... I've played guitar since I was 10, went to 2 and 1/2 years of college for a music degree, then dropped out to have time for bands and electric guitar. I was studying classical and was not enjoying it, needed a band again. Been about six years since my last gig, and last band split. Don't play enough anymore, I need to. I also picked up drums at about 20, and played for a few years, in a band for a bit, but I was not good enough to be doing so. It was fun, though. Guitar is my thing.

This is my current gear.

Got the pedal board, all tube 2001 USA made 40 watt 1x12" Fender Hot rod Deluxe, Martin DX1-R, 2002 Carvin AE-185 semi hollow custom built flamed Koa top, etc... 1969 re-issue semi hollow Fender Telecaster from around 2000, and 2007 Fender American Deluxe Statocaster with a V-Neck.

They're all my babies, but the Fender Dual showman head is all original, 1967 blackface goodness, paired with a 1970 Fender bassman cab with 2 Jensen 15's. The amp was professionally serviced, and is all original aside from tubes being replaced, obviously, and a 3 prong power cord. That's the one modification done and needed with the old blackface amps. All else is just cleaned up professionally, old hand made wiring circa 1967. The thing is 88 watts of pure glorious tube tone, clean as can be. I use an Ibanez Turbo Tube Screamer if I need distortion, I don't think you can push the amp hard enough to break up, and you'd blow your ear drums first. It was actually an issue in some venues gigging, it was too loud. I always brought my Hot Rod just in case. They truly don't make them like they used to. It works like it's brand new, and just sounds incredible. 48 years old.

Then in the background is my kit. 5-piece Mapex Pro-M 15th Anniversary, all maple, outer ply is Birdseye maple. I sold my cymbals, but had Zildjian New Beat Hi Hats, 20" Zildjian K ride, Sabian AAXplosion 16" crash, and a Bosphorous 20" ride. I can't bring myself to sell the kit, I like playing occasionally, but the cymbals had to go to pay bills in the past. Guitars and amps ain't going nowhere, they need some love, though. They're lonely.

Some awesome gear people! I knew this thread would come, nice to see other musicians. Despite not playing with a band for six years, music has been at least a moderate part of pretty much my entire life. When I keep up with it, it's the one thing I'm just good with. No better feeling than making music with others. I love it.
pedalboard.jpg

MartinDX1R.jpg

ElectricTrio.jpg

deluxe.jpg

59902ceaf352258da6bdd4d970d960c4.jpg

Hey! it's just Ray...

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Some awesome gear people! I knew this thread would come, nice to see other musicians. Despite not playing with a band for six years, music has been at least a moderate part of pretty much my entire life. When I keep up with it, it's the one thing I'm just good with. No better feeling than making music with others. I love it.
Great pics of some great gear too bro! I edit your post down to the last paragraph that sure summed it up nicely.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Great pics of some great gear too bro! I edit your post down to the last paragraph that sure summed it up nicely.
You got some nice gear yourself. And yeah, I tend to get wordy, lol. My intentions are good. :)

What Hi-Hat stand and bass drum pedal do you use? I shelled out for the DW 9000 series for both, and my god they are sooooo smooth. The quality, and incredible ease of control you have will elevate your abilities instantly, at least a bit.

Hey! it's just Ray...

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You got some nice gear yourself. And yeah, I tend to get wordy, lol. My intentions are good. :)

What Hi-Hat stand and bass drum pedal do you use? I shelled out for the DW 9000 series for both, and my god they are sooooo smooth. The quality, and incredible ease of control you have will elevate your abilities instantly, at least a bit.
Yeah DW is some great gear I hear, never played any of it though. I'm using a Ludwig and a Pearl hi-hats and they feel pretty good but I'd like to check out some upper DW gear one day for sure.

Gotta get for the night but hope to see you pop back in here when you can. My wife hits the bass for me. Her bass rig (1200w Carvin Redline series) and gear is in the pics above. I'll see about rounding up a few more pics soon.

EthelMaltol

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hi! Im probably more of a wannabee than most of you. I first started on piano as a kid, taught myself guitar, then bass. Years later i was in a Samba band and was running drum circles. Nowadays, ive mostly been playing my uke. Ive composed a few songs, instrumental, and have recently played aat a few local open mikes. I love making music and have really been wwanting to dust off the old keys. I have enough stuff here to hold band practice! :)

Hey! it's just Ray...

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi! Im probably more of a wannabee than most of you. I first started on piano as a kid, taught myself guitar, then bass. Years later i was in a Samba band and was running drum circles. Nowadays, ive mostly been playing my uke. Ive composed a few songs, instrumental, and have recently played aat a few local open mikes. I love making music and have really been wwanting to dust off the old keys. I have enough stuff here to hold band practice! :)
You sure sound like a musician to me...Welcome!

Most of us have to work, take care of a family, etc and not get time to make music just anytime we want. If you find yourself thinking about it while trying to keep up in the rat race of life you're a musician.

Last edited:

EthelMaltol

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You sure sound like a musician to me...Welcome!

Most of us have to work, take care of a family, etc and not get time to make music just anytime we want. If you find yourself thinking about it while trying to keep up in the rat race of life you're a musician.
Thanks! I suppose I am a professional, as I have gotten paid for my music. Never will be famous, but that doesn't matter as I make music for myself. :)

EthelMaltol

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
580c1c702c9f954a33feb14ff201ac46.jpg

It's not the best uke in the world but I love the sound and feel of it. It's a makai baritone ukulele, and my other uke I currently have is an acoustic/electric epiphone les pal.
Beautiful! I have a Cordoba acoustic/electric and a Makala baritone. Never really took to the baritone as I thought I would.

Barkt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I started out my musical life as a bass player. I've owned countless different basses but now only have a Rickenbacker 4003 which still lives in my parents house both for practicality and for the simple fact that it wasn't worth bring 300 miles on my last move considering I don't play it nearly enough to justify having a half stack in my apartment.

My current love is the acoustic guitar. I'm a Martin fan through and through and actually lucky enough to work for one of the biggest Martin Marquis Dealers in the country. My baby is my D-18. I play a lot of folk and American traditional music, as well as a lot of Indie Folk and anything else that strikes my fancy. I can also do a mean version of the Misfits 'Last Caress' as a minor key ballad. Any vapors in the Pittsburgh area who are interested in playing, please give me a shout. Playing solo in my house with only my girlfriend as an audience is starting to drive me (and her) insane.

2acf75da58031b618b6360f95bc0c09d.jpg

KOZMICCLOUD

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
How about the Artist Joe Banamasa. I love his sound

EthelMaltol

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I started out my musical life as a bass player. I've owned countless different basses but now only have a Rickenbacker 4003 which still lives in my parents house both for practicality and for the simple fact that it wasn't worth bring 300 miles on my last move considering I don't play it nearly enough to justify having a half stack in my apartment.

My current love is the acoustic guitar. I'm a Martin fan through and through and actually lucky enough to work for one of the biggest Martin Marquis Dealers in the country. My baby is my D-18. I play a lot of folk and American traditional music, as well as a lot of Indie Folk and anything else that strikes my fancy. I can also do a mean version of the Misfits 'Last Caress' as a minor key ballad. Any vapors in the Pittsburgh area who are interested in playing, please give me a shout. Playing solo in my house with only my girlfriend as an audience is starting to drive me (and her) insane.

2acf75da58031b618b6360f95bc0c09d.jpg
You have to get out of the house and geet to some open mikes. I'm sure there are plenty in your area. Bring your guitar and if you don't feel comfortable, don't play. Worst case is that you have a nice, inexpensive night out, hear music, talk to other musicians and maybe convert some smokers. Win win! :)

Hey! it's just Ray...

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Picked up a new mod at Guitar Center yesterday. :cool:

Can't seem to get a good vape out of it to save my
life but it has saved me some juice since I've got it.

Hey! it's just Ray...

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not shit really! Our band just split up and has me on the hunt for a new guys.

Like to put a vapor band together. :cool: Our better yet a vaping biker band. :cool:

But then I'd just be happy with guys who could get together without acting like
chicken shit crybaby ego filled goofy bitches but that's hard to come by. :(

Last edited:

VU Sponsors