Become a Patron!

The "You Watt" Challenge - Closes 11/26/18 (9 Prizes Available)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I find the exact opposite the longer I can draw without hitting the temperature the better the cloud and flavor. To each his own I guess but that is why many say this certain device doesn't work in TC. Using it wrong. IMO you should be able to time out before you reach the set temperature.
Thing is, to prevent TC from ruining the vape experience (i.e. giving muted flavor and an anemic feel) with the build I posted you'd have to set the temperature so high it would effectively defeat the whole purpose of using TC anyway in the first place. That's just because that particular build in question uses a fairly big amount of Kanthal A1, and, while it is true the fact Kanthal A1 does have a TCR, at .1 ohm and using that much Kanthal A1 there's just no chance on earth the slight changes in the resistance can be used to represent the temperature in any way that can be near accurate enough for it to yield satisfactory results. Less chance than that if using my Wismec Reuleaux RX300 that you can also see in the pic I posted. Further, learning to always remember to drip on time is paramount if your plan is to prepare for your next move of switching to an unregulated true PWM box mod, such as my Surric X-Vault, for example, and then finally becoming a mech user pretty soon after that, as that actually became a logical trajectory to follow, inevitably, at least for me. Granted, you could argue that the purpose of TC isn't just to prevent getting a dry hit. But another reason why I don't like TC is, for how I like to vape, it vapes exactly the same as wattage mode or else it vapes worse due to it giving an anemic feel.

By continuously (i.e. for the entire duration of my draw) adjusting the strength of my draw, I am capable to keep my airflow in perfect balance with the speed of vapor production at all times so the coils don't overheat. They just never do, as the positioning of the coils needs to work in tandem with both the adjustment of the airflow and the strength of the draw in such a way that controlling the strength of the draw becomes synonymous to controlling the temperature, and that your brain adapts so it gradually turns into a trained response. Position the coils wrong or adjust the airflow wrong, or both, and you will (partially) lose the ability to sense and correctly control it, albeit "wrong" is (somewhat) loosely defined and tends to vary from person to person. The ramp up of the build I posted acts more like a delay instead of a ramp up. Like, during the ramp up, after the initial wait the slow speed of the ramp up quickly changes, from slow to fast, kind of like suddenly it switches to full throttle. So tapering the strength of my draw also played an essential role to get the most from this ramp up's particular behavior/style with this build, and in fact I was letting go of the fire button about half a second or so before finishing my draw by tapering my draw strength back down again. Also with this build, my draws took only about 1.7 seconds. Staple staggered fused claptons, if you build them the same way I did, they become aggressive in the sense that you have to wick them so hard you actually have to hold them in place with your fingernail as you pull the cotton through. Because if you don't, they give violent spitback like a volcano shooting specks of boiling hot juice into your mouth. It gradually starts to be less violent after a few weeks of daily use, but another way to tame it is to repetitively keep dry firing the freshly built coils prior to the first use.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I don’t always use fancy builds sometimes round wire is absolutely fine too ...though I do like using parralel wrapped wire (still like the extra surface area)

Tend to find you can lower the wattage vaping this way

FE0AED8B-81D0-4724-8F86-52C26B7427F0.jpeg
32C9B003-F40E-4563-A42A-699A4C423752.jpeg
F7774AC8-B081-41C0-92EE-88E60AC681C5.jpeg

This one was for a series mech mod
A471A643-59D4-470A-AA92-25768A7525FB.jpeg

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Being page 1 was a distant memory for those looking to join us in this month’s challenge skipping ahead, here’s the challenge intro again ....

The “You Watt” Challenge

One of the hardest parts about being a new coil builder is understanding what coils to use and why, so in this month’s challenge we ask the community to share their favourite builds in any of the following wattage ranges.

5-20 W
20-30 W
40-50 W
60-70W
80-90W
100-110W
110 -120W
120W + (state your preferred wattage – it’s a bit of an animal)

As to the “why” .....In addition we ask you to describe the conditions you like to vape. This helps budding builders target a list of builds to go for...i.e.
  • Do you like mouth to lung or direct lung (airy to very restricted),
  • 810 or 510 drip tip or something else (chuff it like a tail pipe baby!),
  • Type of atomiser you like the build on,
  • Deep draw or tootle puff,
  • Metals you like using,
  • Build compositions (gauges etc),
  • Like an instant or slower ramp up,
  • Flavour chaser or cloud chaser,
  • Type of mod you use the build for.
….well you get the picture; the more the merrier.

Challenge Specific Rules and Restrictions

1. Please state the range(s) you use in your post.
  2. Doesn’t matter the type of mod you like using for this one, although to help new builders we stress safety first with building always (the challenge team will tag unsafe advice submissions ...super sub ohm etc.)
  3. You don’t need to show your coil builds if you don’t want to, you can just list out what you like using...(although some may find it easier to understand what you mean with pics)
  4. Do you have a few different builds you like?, or use in different ranges list them all out.
  5. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask others.
  6. Pictures of your builds are welcome of course - it doesn’t matter how photo worthy the coils are, no judgement will be made.
  7. We ask that people respect other members forms of vaping – it doesn’t matter whether you like a cool 8w vape or a magma searing 200W all contributions are welcome.
  8. Unfriendly “bashing” will be tagged and disqualified from the challenge.
  9. VU Challenge Team members have chosen to excuse themselves from all prizes, however are free to contribute.
  10. Global Forum rules apply at all times (http://vapingunderground.com/threads/rules-of-the-forum.255/).
  11. Challenge Global Rules apply at all times (http://vapingunderground.com/threads/global-challenge-rules.433025/)
For more info on how the VU Challenges work please see http://vapingunderground.com/threads/how’s-it-all-work-see-here.433027/

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Exactly - or the unenlightened who don't understand why they really shouldn't vape at 200 watts just because that's what the mod can do:confused:
If it's any consolence, 140 watts is only 35% of the actual 400 watts the RX300 can put out so that's also what I was trying to hint at with the Don Hertzfeldt video... I believe that's what they call schadenfreude. :giggle:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Being page 1 was a distant memory for those looking to join us in this month’s challenge skipping ahead, here’s the challenge intro again ....

The “You Watt” Challenge

One of the hardest parts about being a new coil builder is understanding what coils to use and why, so in this month’s challenge we ask the community to share their favourite builds in any of the following wattage ranges.

5-20 W
20-30 W
40-50 W
60-70W
80-90W
100-110W
110 -120W
120W + (state your preferred wattage – it’s a bit of an animal)

As to the “why” .....In addition we ask you to describe the conditions you like to vape. This helps budding builders target a list of builds to go for...i.e.
  • Do you like mouth to lung or direct lung (airy to very restricted),
  • 810 or 510 drip tip or something else (chuff it like a tail pipe baby!),
  • Type of atomiser you like the build on,
  • Deep draw or tootle puff,
  • Metals you like using,
  • Build compositions (gauges etc),
  • Like an instant or slower ramp up,
  • Flavour chaser or cloud chaser,
  • Type of mod you use the build for.
….well you get the picture; the more the merrier.

Challenge Specific Rules and Restrictions

1. Please state the range(s) you use in your post.
  2. Doesn’t matter the type of mod you like using for this one, although to help new builders we stress safety first with building always (the challenge team will tag unsafe advice submissions ...super sub ohm etc.)
  3. You don’t need to show your coil builds if you don’t want to, you can just list out what you like using...(although some may find it easier to understand what you mean with pics)
  4. Do you have a few different builds you like?, or use in different ranges list them all out.
  5. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask others.
  6. Pictures of your builds are welcome of course - it doesn’t matter how photo worthy the coils are, no judgement will be made.
  7. We ask that people respect other members forms of vaping – it doesn’t matter whether you like a cool 8w vape or a magma searing 200W all contributions are welcome.
  8. Unfriendly “bashing” will be tagged and disqualified from the challenge.
  9. VU Challenge Team members have chosen to excuse themselves from all prizes, however are free to contribute.
  10. Global Forum rules apply at all times (http://vapingunderground.com/threads/rules-of-the-forum.255/).
  11. Challenge Global Rules apply at all times (http://vapingunderground.com/threads/global-challenge-rules.433025/)
For more info on how the VU Challenges work please see http://vapingunderground.com/threads/how’s-it-all-work-see-here.433027/
Umm, yeah... I thought the chuffing it like a tail pipe bit and related parameters was dead obvious immediately from the get go. :D

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Umm, yeah... I thought the chuffing it like a tail pipe bit and related parameters was dead obvious immediately from the get go. :D

That’s good I’m glad it was dead obvious for you (it’s what we were going for ;) )....the boundaries we use to set the scene for each challenge are so the team can monitor and include those in the draw at the end...the awards are for members who “genuinely” contribute to the challenge and help others

Up to people whether they try join in fully :)

There’s plenty of information in the landing pages (links above) as to what these challenges are about, meeting new people, working together and growing the community, if you have any questions PM one of the challenge team

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thing is, to prevent TC from ruining the vape experience (i.e. giving muted flavor and an anemic feel) with the build I posted you'd have to set the temperature so high it would effectively defeat the whole purpose of using TC anyway in the first place. That's just because that particular build in question uses a fairly big amount of Kanthal A1, and, while it is true the fact Kanthal A1 does have a TCR, at .1 ohm and using that much Kanthal A1

There is only a couple of MOD's that work in TC with Kathal and like I said you must be using TC Mode correctly for it to work properly. Some coils I fire at 50W and some at 60W at 460-480°F and I get big clouds with lots of flavor taking 6-8 second pulls.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
There is only a couple of MOD's that work in TC with Kathal and like I said you must be using TC Mode correctly for it to work properly. Some coils I fire at 50W and some at 60W at 460-480°F and I get big clouds with lots of flavor taking 6-8 second pulls.
I know. But like I said, even on mods that work in TC with Kanthal, even if using TC mode correctly, it's still just a pure waste of time because, for how I like to vape, it still simply doesn't vape any better than wattage mode. Further, if I really thought TC had even the slight potential to contribute something useful for how I like to vape, then I wouldn't have said what I said about following the trajectory of becoming a mech user, but, well... I did say what I said about that so, clearly, it's because that's my definition of evolving towards a better vape experience, i.e., I don't vape on a mech just because it makes me look smarter than everybody else despite it can be damn well possible that I'm a tad smarter than most, if you mean what I get. :D

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ever thought about trying building Buddha?
Keep it simple. The first rda I have was gifted to me. Came with single coil installed. I put the other coil in and felt like a damn rocket scientist. Even just small stepped accomplishments feel awesome and drive to do more. Just pick up 15ft of kanthal from your local shop and a coil rod and give it a shot. Everyone suprises themselves when you do something new.

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Keep it simple. The first rda I have was gifted to me. Came with single coil installed. I put the other coil in and felt like a damn rocket scientist. Even just small stepped accomplishments feel awesome and drive to do more. Just pick up 15ft of kanthal from your local shop and a coil rod and give it a shot. Everyone suprises themselves when you do something new.

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk
This is how it was for me too. I was terrified of building but my beloved horizontal STM coils were getting hard to find and I did for a while rewick them it wasn't ideal. Learned to coil those a quickly found out the rba was easier and a better vape. I was ridiculously pleased with myself first time I wrapped a coil for the rba.@Buddha222 don't let nerves stop you.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I don't vape on a mech just because it makes me look smarter than everybody else despite it can be damn well possible that I'm a tad smarter than most, if you mean what I get. :D

I “get what you mean” ...subtle satire most people would bite on

Buddha222

Chainvaping through the fog ....
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
This is how it was for me too. I was terrified of building but my beloved horizontal STM coils were getting hard to find and I did for a while rewick them it wasn't ideal. Learned to coil those a quickly found out the rba was easier and a better vape. I was ridiculously pleased with myself first time I wrapped a coil for the rba.@Buddha222 don't let nerves stop you.

I've made coils before and love the flavor and clouds you get from them.
I just don't have a lot of quiet time at home to make them.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I've made coils before and love the flavor and clouds you get from them.
I just don't have a lot of quiet time at home to make them.
I’m the same way.
I buy rolls of premade fancy wire and round wire from advanced vape supply or lightnening vapes.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Just the simple ones - don't really know what the build is called. Several turns around, and checking the ohms. Following along with a YouTube video for the first few.

Never tried any of the more complex builds.
For me it is easier to wrap a tri core fc from a spool than single wire. Easier to wick and install as well. AVS spools and coils are about all I use these days.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, I've been thinking about premade coils for a few months now, especially with my squonkers since I don't have to drip them every 10 minutes.
If you can be happy with premade coils, then that's that I guess. Personally, I, vape on handmade aliens 27/36 Ni80 4.5 wrap 2.5mm ID dual coil at .11 ohms on a single battery mech pretty much all day and every day, as they aren't that much harder to learn how to make than fused claptons, but IME they give ~20% better flavor, their ramp up is really very fast, and they are also pretty durable in addition to that... it's just that a .11 ohms build isn't considered "safe" on a single battery mech, but this doesn't also mean people can't learn how to prevent driving themselves off a cliff, and so the whole bruhaha about avoiding super subohm builds leaves me stone cold because IMO those who can't learn how to avoid accidental long button presses and who can't learn how to safely stop a mech from autofiring in the rare event that does start autofiring, are probably stupid enough to not be capable to learn how to prevent a hard short, in which case a regulated mod won't be saving them anyway in the first place if you get wat I mean, but anyway... regarding dripping every 10 minutes... sometimes I drip every 10 seconds and frequently I aim a few drops straight on top of the coils to keep the wicks saturated without taking so much patience so for me dripping is less effort than refilling a squonker and cleaning the bottle, and, squonking doesn't let me use my favorite mods. :)

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Just the simple ones - don't really know what the build is called. Several turns around, and checking the ohms. Following along with a YouTube video for the first few.

Never tried any of the more complex builds.

Been vaping for a bit over a decade and this is still my go to. It works, tried and true and easily accessible. It also leaves funds to spend on other shiny objects.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
TC with Kanthal

Kathal is not actually a TC wire and even though some MOD's will work with it the wire is not correct for TC. JMO remember but if you want to talk about TC Mode with me please be using the proper wire for the coils.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Yeah, I've been thinking about premade coils for a few months now, especially with my squonkers since I don't have to drip them every 10 minutes.

Sounds great Buddha ....a lot of people like the Advanced Vape Supply (AVS) wire as Letitia mentioned .... food for thought anyway

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

It’s great! Especially if you stick with some of the more well know suppliers. They last a good while too.
I usually get 3-6 months on a build with avs, and only change the coil because I get bored and need something to fiddle with.
I’m my mind it’s the perfect solution, I don’t have the time, nor patience to wrap the wire; but, I love the vape
I get off of it.

Buddha222

Chainvaping through the fog ....
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Sounds great Buddha ....a lot of people like the Advanced Vape Supply (AVS) wire as Letitia mentioned .... food for thought anyway

Looks like a good source for them, but for me it's like looking at a menu in a French restaurant - it all looks good but I don't know what anything is.

It's a question of what to get for which atty. Alien, Clapton, Fused Clapton, Quad Core, Fused Core, plus choosing wire size, internal diameter and no. of wraps.

Is it a one coil fits all based on personal preference with how they vape, or do you have to consider the atty, VG/PG percentage, etc. Should I just get the sample box and go with trial and error?

Sorry for all the questions, but I guess that's why I joined VU - to expand my vaping world.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Looks like a good source for them, but for me it's like looking at a menu in a French restaurant - it all looks good but I don't know what anything is.

It's a question of what to get for which atty. Alien, Clapton, Fused Clapton, Quad Core, Fused Core, plus choosing wire size, internal diameter and no. of wraps.

Is it a one coil fits all based on personal preference with how they vape, or do you have to consider the atty, VG/PG percentage, etc. Should I just get the sample box and go with trial and error?

Sorry for all the questions, but I guess that's why I joined VU - to expand my vaping world.

You ask 50 people that and you’ll get 50 different answers (and unfortunately some unwanted macho bullshit in between)...but you have framed exactly what the team had in mind with the information we are trying to get out from the community here :cheers:

So let’s see what they come up with in response :)

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team

AVS offers a sample pack. They have excellent customer service and if you message them on site during business hours you can tell them what you're vaping on and they'll help you choose. Personally I don't like messing with tc and curves so I go with the thinner wire gauges for faster ramp.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Kathal is not actually a TC wire and even though some MOD's will work with it the wire is not correct for TC. JMO remember but if you want to talk about TC Mode with me please be using the proper wire for the coils.
I already know it's not actually a TC wire. But in the end it simply doesn't matter to me because I never use TC anyway in the first place so I have no idea why you think I want to talk about TC Mode with you, as IMO the only thing that needs to be said when talking about TC Mode is that TC Mode simply just sucks major big ones.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
image.jpg So I’m not an expert builder. Not by any means. 22g Kanthal. .54 ohms. Simple round wire build on a Recurve. Needs a rewicking, but otherwise a nice vape. I get my “fancy” coils from @Pegleg Meg and @ScReWbALL when we do our “flavors for coils” exchanges. Cause I have a stockpile of Custard Premium......and I still do. ;)

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Buddha222 coil selection is based on a lot of things, but those things are different for every person/setup. coil size/inner diameter and metal choice are mostly a result of the available room in your atomizer, and your target resistance, with a bit room to tinker with your performance/ramp-up/heat. some people can taste a metallic taste from certain types of wire too. i cant taste the difference between them, and i mix and match them all. its a good idea to try them all when you are starting out and try to quickly identify if one of them is a problem for you. some people also have allergies, which limit their wire choices as well.

the different builds like claptons and aliens all vape and behave differently. there is no 'best', but they all have different traits, so it mostly comes down to experience and personal preference what to use, and where to use it. more complex builds have a lot of different things going on with regard to temperatures, pockets of juice, and capillary action, which can change the flavors a bit too. you might find that aliens really bring out the milkshake in your strawberry milkshake juice, and staples bring out the strawberries, and settle on alien framed staples for that juice....

i recommend trying out everything you can. you might find a good vape where you didnt expect it. even if you are happy with your setup, try something different and keep searching. my tastes have changed a lot since i started, and i vape all over the place in terms of styles and power levels. the only way i dont vape/have a setup for, is the way i vaped when i first started :cheers:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I already know it's not actually a TC wire. But in the end it simply doesn't matter to me because I never use TC anyway in the first place so I have no idea why you think I want to talk about TC Mode with you, as IMO the only thing that needs to be said when talking about TC Mode is that TC Mode simply just sucks major big ones.

You decided to quote me and what I said about TC, but you keep talking about a wire not made for TC (Kantal) and limited amount of MOD's that might work with it. If you want to debate how TC Mode works talk about it with using the correct coils or wire. You wonder why it doesn't work for you?

OmagaWright

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Finally, a few moments of peace to post mine up.

I am just now getting into RTAs. Forced myself into buying the Voopoo Rimfire and the Vandy Vape 24 mesh. Sadly, the Vandy is too restricted to use until I get some holes drilled in. The Rimfire has worked fairly well compared to my FreeMax Pro RBA. Normally on premade coils I vape at 120-180 watts, but now I find myself vapin on the Rimfire around 80-100. Huge difference in how much juice I am savin myself. I stll get the same amount of vape and heat as the premade coils. Even better, its easier to justify $5 for premade RTA Medusa coils per week (and longer) than $5-6 per premade factory coils every 3-4 days. Cotton bags are obviously cheaper. Right now I am using premade Staggered Fused Claptons, rated at .45ohms (.21 together in dual). I admit, I am still learning and exploring the types of coils and builds out there.

If anybody can point me in the right direction for any particular build coil for quick ramp up in dual for .1x to .2x I would be grateful.

For now I just using a Siegeli Fuchai 213 mod, but hope to have my Motley Mod built soon to take over. In the future I want to build a bigger mod, like dual 26650, to be my daily mod.

I am definately a flavor chaser. I have put the cancer sticks away for good 2 years ago and flavors definately play a big part in it. I still love whatever clouds I get, but for now flavor is what keeps me from goin back.

Odd as it is to say, I have never been happier to quit smokin and tell people I love my PENIS. :stars2:

Attachments

• 20181030_115600_Richtone(HDR).jpg
    514.8 KB · Views: 11

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You vape your way, and let others vape their way. What works best for one, is not necessarily best for all. That's why we have variable wattage and adjustable airflow. We have options with our mods, atomizers, coils, juice, etc... The most obnoxious vaper is the one that thinks their way is best for everyone, and that everyone else is an idiot. We may give advice, but leave it at that.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Finally, a few moments of peace to post mine up.

I am just now getting into RTAs. Forced myself into buying the Voopoo Rimfire and the Vandy Vape 24 mesh. Sadly, the Vandy is too restricted to use until I get some holes drilled in. The Rimfire has worked fairly well compared to my FreeMax Pro RBA. Normally on premade coils I vape at 120-180 watts, but now I find myself vapin on the Rimfire around 80-100. Huge difference in how much juice I am savin myself. I stll get the same amount of vape and heat as the premade coils. Even better, its easier to justify $5 for premade RTA Medusa coils per week (and longer) than $5-6 per premade factory coils every 3-4 days. Cotton bags are obviously cheaper. Right now I am using premade Staggered Fused Claptons, rated at .45ohms (.21 together in dual). I admit, I am still learning and exploring the types of coils and builds out there.

If anybody can point me in the right direction for any particular build coil for quick ramp up in dual for .1x to .2x I would be grateful.

For now I just using a Siegeli Fuchai 213 mod, but hope to have my Motley Mod built soon to take over. In the future I want to build a bigger mod, like dual 26650, to be my daily mod.

I am definately a flavor chaser. I have put the cancer sticks away for good 2 years ago and flavors definately play a big part in it. I still love whatever clouds I get, but for now flavor is what keeps me from goin back.

Odd as it is to say, I have never been happier to quit smokin and tell people I love my PENIS. :stars2:
Quite attached to mine also.

Generally I buy spooled Clapton wire at 30gX4/40.
Ramp up is immediate in dual coil 3mm ID coils with 5 wraps.
I run that build on mech squonkers and dna boxes alike.- on regulated I run it at 70w + or -

For a single coil flavor banger, I’ll use the same wire with a 2mm single coil at 6 wraps and run it around 24w or I’ll use 7 wraps of 25g round wire at 18w.

I’m a little of a bipolar vapor that I love mouth to lung or direct lung, based on my mood.

Last edited:

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
View attachment 123145 So I’m not an expert builder. Not by any means. 22g Kanthal. .54 ohms. Simple round wire build on a Recurve. Needs a rewicking, but otherwise a nice vape. I get my “fancy” coils from @Pegleg Meg and @ScReWbALL when we do our “flavors for coils” exchanges. Cause I have a stockpile of Custard Premium......and I still do. ;)
Sweet flavor build.

OmagaWright

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
@f1r3b1rd I fogot to mention the coil type I am using, which is a 26gx32g 2x32g, whatever the hell that means lol. I am still learnin the lingo.

On one hand I do want to try my hand at my own coils, but on the other dont want to waste the money at failed attempts either as I have no clue how to use the coil calculator I once had on my phone. I have been curious to experiment on an idea or two just to see what the results would be.

That coil you mentionef, what is it rated at in dual and if its in my range, where can I go to buy them?

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Quite attached to mine also.

Generally I buy spoiled Clapton wire at 30gX4/40.
Ramp up is immediate in dual coil 3mm ID coils with 5 wraps.
I run that build on mech squonkers and dna boxes alike.- on regulated I run it at 70w + or -

For a single coil flavor banger, I’ll use the same wire with a 2mm is single coil at 6 wraps and run it around 24w or I’ll use 7 wraps of 25g round wire at 18w.

I’m a little of a bipolar vapor that I love mouth to lung or direct lung, based on my mood.
Oh man, I didn’t know I was supposed to refrigerate my coils.:facepalm:

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
@f1r3b1rd I fogot to mention the coil type I am using, which is a 26gx32g 2x32g, whatever the hell that means lol. I am still learnin the lingo.

On one hand I do want to try my hand at my own coils, but on the other dont want to waste the money at failed attempts either as I have no clue how to use the coil calculator I once had on my phone. I have been curious to experiment on an idea or two just to see what the results would be.

That coil you mentionef, what is it rated at in dual and if its in my range, where can I go to buy them?
I buy mine from advancedvapesupply.com
I buy it by the spool and wrap the actual coil myself.
Several other places offer similar service.
This is the chart for what I tend to use most
454D4AE4-AB80-4252-853C-EAE4F3F6A86D.jpeg

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I’m a Mech junky, so, my range hovers around the 120w mark with a full charge 4.2v 18650 VTC5a battery.
da83adfd7b9094fe20e4fc597e7fea25.jpg

Currently running a dual set of 26/36 Nichrome 80 Alien Coils 7 wraps, ohming out at .15...I typically do 6 wraps, but as I’ve been doing some longer draws as of late, I went with 7 wraps around a 3mm precision screwdriver instead to slow the ramp up time to make it a bit cooler.
I have them in an original Goon RDA with an AV Lyfe Able Tube Mod (Copper)...definitely not my best work as I was in a hurry when I mounted these in and just grabbed 2
b7ef8757f4a6e7fbb0a5f52d32e04da4.jpg

My typical 6-wrap N80 Aliens ohm out at around .12 and is my go to coil and they look less trashy since there is no rush and they are in my SZX Mod/RDA
f9257316dd785e5d050077c539f951fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors