Become a Patron!

They are talking about regulating Ecigs here soon, what mods?

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi people. All over the news this morning, was that the `NHS want to privide vapourisers to smokers, and heavily regulate them.

Now, before this happens, what mods do you say are essential I get?

Every 2 weeks I get payed, I am going to buy a mod. Around £50. Going to start with the IPV d2 as I do want it.

What are some mods people think are solid, will last a long time, and are must haves? I was thinking maybe the Sig 50 is a must have after trying it out, and giving it to the missus, so may get one.

Any others that people think are must have please list them. I will try to get them before the regulation happens.

I think even after the laws come in, I will still be able to import, but it will be much harder, so I am going to buy them while I can. I want sturdy, long lasting mods.

Thanks people, Conan.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would try to not over react. Seems like there are always stories about this or that lately when it comes to Vaping. The politicians just can't stand the fact there not collecting every penny of tax possible.

If you really want to grab something for just in case, get a cheap mech or 2, no chips to fry.

The problem with trying to buy a ton of regulated mods is that they are practically obsolete the day you buy them. Just try to relax a bit and enjoy a vape!

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would try no to over react. Seems like there are always stories about this or that lately when it comes to Vaping. The politicians just can't stand the fact there not collecting every penny of tax possible.

If you really want to grab something for just in case, get a cheap mech or 2, no chips to fry.

The problem with trying to buy a ton of regulated mods is that they are practically obsolete the day you buy them. Just try to relax a bit and enjoy a vape!

Cheers,
Steve
Ahh fair enough. Probably correct. I still am going to buy a mod for the next 2 times I get payed, next one is going to be the IPVD2.

Mechs used to scare me. Not so much not I realise as long as I am not building silly low, it does not pull too much from the battery. .4 and above seem quite safe levels, it is when it gets lower I can see the danger.

I do want to get a mech sometime in the future, just don't know what to get. I have no idea regarding mechs what are good, I would want one that takes 510 threads, and preferably 18650's. I understand they can be had quite cheaply.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you look at the top of the page, it is actually in yellow Breaking hard: England backs vapes with more of the story.

They are saying they are 95% safer than cigaretttes, and should be prescribed. But with that, comes regulation as it would be a medical device, so getting mods would be harder.

ren.dnb

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
..... but I don't need a prescription to buy cigarettes... crazy politicians...

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Insanity. I think the people who want to quit with a vape do anyway, so the system was perfect. They get introuced by friends. It started a threa on facebook for my local area, I explained what vaping is and isn't, got someone sold on a sigelei 30 and nautilus mini, and said any questions there is a great site called vaping underground, or you can ask me, but there is very knowledgeable people on the forum.

So, I really hope the IPV D2 is in stock next saturday somewhere, its size makes me want it, and being able to control Ti makes it more atractive. It also looks like the ultimate stealth vape, it is tiny! And 75 watt to boot. That will be my next purchase, then maybe something more solid such as a Sig 50 following that.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was just imagining the workarounds they could do. Maye call them Ohms readers, that just happen to test between 10-150 watts lol.

Boogie

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Do you have a good mech yet?
If not, start there. They are legislation proof.

Springs magnets and possibly insulators are all easily user replaceable and nigh impossible to regulate.

IF regulated mods get legislated out of existence what will you do if and when yours goes down?

Will you be able to get a new chip set? Will you be able to install it?
Think about it

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Springs magnets and possibly insulators are all easily user replaceable and nigh impossible to regulate.

IF regulated mods get legislated out of existence what will you do if and when yours goes down?

Think about it
No I don't, they scared me for a while, I no longer am scared as I understand them more. What is a good mech to go for? Nothing fancy, just a cheap mech that works.

But, I just want to know what the most rated regulated mods are. I will get a mech, but I also want to get the most reliable/popular regulateds as well, as it is nice being able to change wattage. I doubt it will get to the stage it is impossible to get regulated mods, I think you would always be able to get them even If I had to from china, but in the next 4 weeks, what 2 mods do you think are essentials?

I was thinking a Sig50 because of the reliable chip, and the IPVD2 due to its size. One for reliability, one for its tiny size and new-ness. I would use it in both temp control mode with an RDA at higher power, and also with a tank at low wattage for an ADV, which is curently my sig 75 with a tank, at 20-30 watts.

I would be able to install a new chip no problem due to my work/what I am training towards. Getting the board would be the issue.

Last edited:

Budds

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would tend to think the Nic will be the 1st casualty of this war !

Liquid Nic and eLiquid containing it is low hanging fruit.....
Easier to regulate, easier to tax.
Once they get a taste of the money, they may come after devices.... but that will be a much harder task.

Two BIG lobbys are looking at Gov. from both sides of the table.
Pharma wants Nic to be a pharmaceutical, thus they are capable of regulating this and can disguise it as a "Drug".
Big Tobacco says.... "Hey we can also do the regulation as we are so equipped for Cig sales !"
(Big Toby is actively losing market share to vaping, control is their answer.)

Just MHO.........

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would tend to think the Nic will be the 1st casualty of this war !

Liquid Nic and eLiquid containing it is low hanging fruit.....
Easier to regulate, easier to tax.
Once they get a taste of the money, they may come after devices.... but that will be a much harder task.

Two BIG lobbys are looking at Gov. from both sides of the table.
Pharma wants Nic to be a pharmaceutical, thus they are capable of regulating this and can disguise it as a "Drug".
Big Tobacco says.... "Hey we can also do the regulation as we are so equipped for Cig sales !"
(Big Toby is actively losing market share to vaping, control is their answer.)

Just MHO.........
That is a good point. I need to get enough base, not for me, but for Cheyenne, to succsessfully wean down. After that, she wants to use zero nic like me and just have some fun with RDA'S and the like.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It would be difficult if not impossible to regulate mods out of existence, I would think. A quick relabel from "vape mod" to "portable power supply" should be all it would take to skirt regulations. Agreed that nic extracts would be the more likely target, but even then people can become very creative when their hands are forced.

If, however, they attempted to regulate hardware it would be a severe blow to all of the b&M's out there. Not exactly small business friendly legislation... Not that those in power care about the little guy, at all.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
eliquid (with nic) and cigilikes that contain eliquid is all they can touch.
I have heard more than one lawyer say this.
If they call a metal box a tobacco product all someone has to do is sue and the FDA can not win.
Why do you think they are taking so long with these regs and "appear" to be working with the industry?
They will bluff their way into making rules on mods and the industry will follow
But if any one here actually thinks China will stop making new mods and attys and shipping them to us they have screws loose.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

Think about it

If not someone on this forum will.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Lets just forget the possible legislation for now. What are two mods you think everyone should own?

Mechs? Nemesis (clone is fine) good working mod plain and simple design.

I have 2 of them that I never use that I will never part with.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mechs? Nemesis (clone is fine) good working mod plain and simple design.

I have 2 of them that I never use that I will never part with.
Ok, I will look into getting a nemesis clone. Now, I got a mech, so nothing to go wrong really, what would you class as the most reliable regulated? I was thinking a Sigelei 50 or something like that, or maybe and IPV 3 LI or 4?

Literally any reglated mod, that is known for its durability, but as I am fairly new, I don't know what is very durable, and what has been plagued with problems.

Edit:Ignore what I wrote here, have erased it as I answered my own question, after is still valid though:

Looking on fastech it is CHEAP though, so I am goin to definitely get one of them, just not build stupidly low on it, check on an ohms reader before use, also on another device, ensure there is no shorts, and I should be fine shouldn't I?

Is this an OK clone? https://www.fasttech.com/products/3027/10009160/1829102

Last edited:

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you're going to get a nemmy,save up for an authentic. Worth every penny IMO.

My wish list:(just to have)
Sx mini M class
Authentic vaporflask
Authentic Carlos Creations 60w Zero
And just for shits and giggles...hell's gate

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I have had the sigelei 150 watt V2 for quite some time now.
I only have it set on 35watts but it's a dual 18650 and since it's being underpowered i'm not stressing the chip.
Since the new TC mods are out this mod is old stock and you can get one for like 60 bucks or less.
Wake n Vape has them dirt cheap.

If you have a sigelei 50 at 35 watts the battery will last half a day. This sigelei 150 V2 last 4 or 5 days at 35watts before the batteries dip below 30%

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I already have the sig 150, the battery life is great. Ahh maybe I should of saved for the real thing, but I got a clone. I know it wont be here for weeks, 1-3, 1 if I am lucky, I got this in the end https://www.fasttech.com/p/1849607 as it was the only one that was in stock that I could afford (spent most of my money till I next get payed) It takes 18500, 18350 and 18650 which is what I will be using with it.

Seeing as I already have the 150, I will just get what I fancy. IPV D2 is my next buy. Should be in stock next week, someone is paying for it for me, I like how small it is, ultimate stealth vape with a tiny tank. Temp control and higher wattage is just a bonus.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got a nemesis clone on the way now. I don't want huge clouds from this, just average at best, with not too much stress on the battery. I noticed above .4 it is pretty safe, below that it starts really pulling more amps, will I still get a fair cloud and flavour at say 0.5?

Being new to mechs, I understand the safety implications so will always use a reader, and check on another mod the resistance for use, and ensure there is no possible shorts.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Conan, make sure you do not build with ni200 or Titanium on that mech. Kanthal or Nichrome only. You may have already known that, but I figured I'd remind you. Just looking out for your health. :)

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Conan, make sure you do not build with ni200 or Titanium on that mech. Kanthal or Nichrome only. You may have already known that, but I figured I'd remind you. Just looking out for your health. :)
Thanks man, I was aware, but cheers for the warning. I realise the build would be much too low and lead to a very bad situation. Thank you for the heads up though :).

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That, and the wire can overheat and either melt down, or in titanium's case it can start producing titanium oxide which is no good for you at all to inhale.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hang on a second, I remember I went to use nichrome before and got jumped on by everyone for it saying how dangerous it would be on my sigTC, not to do it and such, so is Nichrome suitable to build coils with or not lol?

I will just be using Kanthal though for all build on the mech, triple check everything everytime as I know if I don't, they can be dangerous. I was scared of mechs before, but have come to realise as long as you use them properly and dont go building super low, they are not really dangerous.

Also I want to say thank you to 5150Sick for recommending a mech. I doubt it will be impossible to get mods, I am just over reacting thinking rationally, but at least I could still vape with a mech. I know theres no fancy wattage adjustment or temp control, but at least it will work, theoretically for ever lol.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Also, to answer some of your questions, builds in the .4 range should be perfectly safe with most of the batteries you own. At .4 you'll have enough headroom in the event of a stuck button or otherwise autofiring mod.

Realistically, you could go down to .25 or so on cells like the 25r and he2/4, but honestly I find a more pleasant vape around .4

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That, and the wire can overheat and either melt down, or in titanium's case it can start producing titanium oxide which is no good for you at all to inhale.
Ahh, that definitely does not soud good lol. I am doing this for fun, for flavour, for vapour, not for titanium oxide and death lol.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hang on a second, I remember I went to use nichrome before and got jumped on by everyone for it saying how dangerous it would be on my sigTC, not to do it and such, so is Nichrome suitable to build coils with or not lol?

I will just be using Kanthal though for all build on the mech, triple check everything everytime as I know if I don't, they can be dangerous. I was scared of mechs before, but have come to realise as long as you use them properly and dont go building super low, they are not really dangerous.

Also I want to say thank you to 5150Sick for recommending a mech. I doubt it will be impossible to get mods, I am just over reacting thinking rationally, but at least I could still vape with a mech. I know theres no fancy wattage adjustment or temp control, but at least it will work, theoretically for ever lol.
It wasn't so much that nichrome is unafe to use on the SIG, it's just that its not a wire you can use for temp control because the resistance doesn't change as it heats like ni200 and Ti do.

Nichrome is perfectly safe and usable on the SIG in power mode, as far as I'm aware.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also, to answer some of your questions, builds in the .4 range should be perfectly safe with most of the batteries you own. At .4 you'll have enough headroom in the event of a stuck button or otherwise autofiring mod.

Realistically, you could go down to .25 or soso on cells like the 25r and he2/4, but honestly I find a more pleasant vape around .4
Thats good. I will try a .4 build as soon as it comes (I chose the faster option for an extra 48Pence, last time I used it it did get here in just over a week, so hopefully this is the case this time. Actually looking forward to going oldschool lol, can take up to 3 weeks though so bit annoying if it does take that long, hope not.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It wasn't so much that nichrome is unafe to use on the SIG, it's just that its not a wire you can use for temp control because the resistance doesn't change as it heats like ni200 and to do.

Nichrome is perfectly safe and usable on the SIG in power mode, as far as I'm aware.
Oh fair enough. That must of been why then. If I am honest, the Sig gets used with kanthal and power mode 90% of the time, I do have a 0.12 build on there are the moment thats nice TC though.

What does confuse me, is why do my coils increase in resistance over a few days? It starts at 0.06 or 0.05, then later it goes up slightly, like the 0.12 was 0.05 last night lol. I had to put a new coil in after a few days because my 0.10 coil ended up at 0.30 and wasn't working very well for TC anymore, is it all the crud that gets stuck to it that makes it go up?

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If I had to guess, I'd say that the constant heating cooling of everything since your build went in caused the connections at the terminals to loosen a bit. Perhaps try tightening your screws a bit to see if the resistance falls back into line. Some people even wrap the wires around the screws, then tighten them down, as opposed to using the holes in the terminals.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The nemesis is probably the most popular cloned mod in existence...That was my first mech mod as well.

If you have the correct Atty, a .5 coil will blow some pretty nice clouds....that would be about an 8 amp draw making 35 watts.

Again, it takes a .2 ohm coil to draw 21 amps which pushes 88 watts (for a mech mod)...Technically you can go as low as a .3 ohm coil with a 20 amp battery and leave about 6 amps of safety margin.

I personally prefer to not use more than half the batteries amps capability..so technically i could go as low as a .42 and draw 10 amps from the 20 amp batteries and make 42 watts of power.

Anything below the .42 i need the sonys to maintain my half or below half standards.

VU Sponsors