Become a Patron!

Things I have learned since starting

msm631

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So this may be a random thread, but I thought I would share what I have learned since beginning to vape a few weeks ago. The terminology can be intimidating and there is definitely a learning curve to getting started. So in no particular order, here is the advice I can give based on my understanding. Please feel free to add to it or correct me.

1.Start with a low nic juice. I purchased some 24mg and had a very bad start. I am happy around 12mg with no ill effects.
2.Start with a decent battery or APV. I purchased a VV and VW mod and will never look back. It is hard to find what you like without some flexibility. It also makes a variety of tanks far more useful.
3.Buy a decent tank. I purchased some very cheap tanks and struggled to get a decent vape, My first tank I was happy with was an Kanger Aerotank on a VV/VW mod. I am now not smoking at all so it worked.
4.Learn about ohm's law. Everything in vaping comes down to how many volts through how much resistance. You will quickly learn that there is a lot of lingo about sub-ohms.
5.A mechanical mod is basically a battery that directly connects to a tank. The advantage here is that you can have a much higher wattage pushed through to the coil. Almost all sub-ohm builds will use a mechanical. This is pretty advanced and I am just now learning. A good VV/VW APV should keep you happy for real world use.
6.Have extras of everything if you plan on quitting smoking. It took me a bit to not have the emergency cigarette around.
7.Kayfun tanks are a good entry point to rebuildables. They are easy to work with and easy to understand if you look at how they work.
8.Don't get too wrapped up on the lingo. A decent VV (variable voltage)/VW (variable wattage) mod and a decent tank should get you a long way for quite a while. After wasting a lot of money on junk, I could have bought my current setup for around $60. I run a Vamo V5 and a Kayfun clone @ 1.5ohms.

jack

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I look back and everything you said is true . Got to use patience and admit even though smoking is legal, we are all addicts to a certain point .

Poeticwil

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
OK, I'm restarting my vaping experience after a not so satisfying start. I recently won a Kanger AeroTank Mega that I should be receiving soon. What's a decent VV/VW mod that's not too expensive since my budget is limited?

jack

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
mvp 2 . about 45$ i think now , battery is internal and no charger need . good luck and hang in there . maybe a little cheaper , hunt around.

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Great thread!

The only thing I would add to that is:

9) Buy lots of sample packs of juice. It's a long process to find juices you like enough to not smoke. Finding your juice niche can be as frustrating and time-consuming (and expensive) as finding the right equipment, if you jump in without taking the time to try a variety of small samples. Once you get an idea of what you like, then get the larger bottles.

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
10) Another random one you made me think of. By a dripper so you can try all of your sample juices without the hassle of emptying your tank. Some are very cheap and they are good to have around.

Excellent suggestion

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Lessons I learned the hard way:

* If you find a piece of equipment or juice that works great for you, buy and stash extras before it's discontinued

* Even now I keep a few disposable e-cigs scattered at home, office, car. Handy when someone expresses an interest in vaping, or for equipment emergencies

* Always bring along twice as much (juice, battery power, etc.) as you think you'll need.

DB Cigs

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This is a great thread, good info here. I like to keep several dripping attys around (cheap ones). For juice sampling.
Another suggestion is to visit your local B&M shop to sample some juice flavors, many will allow you to sample flavors for free. This is a good way to find your daily vape.
Just my $0.02 :)

Fuzzy Bruce

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I am a Retired Old Derilict

Having just started, I am learning that I may need a part time job to be able to get all the stuff I want now! I am sure the spending will slow down once the newness wears off and back-ups are purchased.

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Having just started, I am learning that I may need a part time job to be able to get all the stuff I want now! I am sure the spending will slow down once the newness wears off and back-ups are purchased.
I hope the newness wears off for you so you can save some money. I was happy with an ego and 306 /510 drippers for about 6 months until I was introduced to Vapor Joe's site and then the other forums. I haven't stopped spending yet.

To beginners: go to your local B&M and buy a cheap dripper from them IF they will offer to show you haw to wrap a coil and fill with cotton. If your a beginner, there is nothing like watching it done in person then vaping on it. Some of us are a little slow at first (me)
Go to your local vendor and try their juices until you find a few you think you like. You will save money doing this in the long run.

After you get the basics down, then you can save money and venture out buying from vendors online to save money.

Liu

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Don't cheap out on starter gear. There's a reason that ce4 is $3, and the Evod is $8, that reason, is that the ce4 is fussy, old, and outdated. There's also a reason that 350ma/h battery is a third the price of a 1000ma/h ego, you'll have that thing on the charger three times a day.

It's one thing to get a clone Mech/Atty and save yourself some money later down the road if you're not sure that sort of vape is for you, but it's a whole different world when you're vaping on clearos and trying to quit smoking. Spend the money.

Also, pay attention. I'm just going to be blunt here. The people at the local shop tell you to clean your battery contact for a reason, they tell you not to overtighten everything for a reason. I'm more than happy to help you out, but the fourth or fifth time I tell somebody not to crank down the base of their tank, you're gonna get the look.

Don't let your friend start you off on a mech/RDA and tell you how easy it is to blow big clouds. There's a level of knowledge and responsibility that precludes doing that sort of thing. When something goes wrong, it can go wrong BIG and there's nothing but your own brain and your hopefully safe battery to keep you from starting a fire or rupturing a steel tube with your family nearby. If that sounds scary, it should. Mech mods are safe, just like an automobile is safe. Deep sub-ohm builds and cloud chasing are like driving an Indy car, however. Pushing the technology, the equipment, and the user.

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you go the mech mod / dropper direction spend the money on a good atomizer less on a pretty mod.

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Using one of those money saved calculators you see on a lot of people's signatures, there's 2 of us who vape in the household, so that's gear and juice for 2 people as I vape at 0nic and my partner vapes both with nic and 0nic and we have different taste profiles for a lot of things. Even with all that we've still saved a fair bit of money.

As others have said, if you can find a local b&m to try juice at, do it, taste everything, even stuff you probably think you won't like, you might be surprised. I've heard countless times from friends who went to their local b&m and their shop only had them try tobacco flavors and even 8 month's later they're still smoking analogs. Try something outside your comfort zone and that doesn't taste like the analogs, unless that's the only thing that you've found you like.

Go to local vape meets, try other people's juice, join pif groups for juice trades or shares, hook up with a DIY'er who wants someone to test their flavors, sign up for giveaways and look for juice that's affordable by quantity. Really good juice can come in larger bottles for smaller amounts than going out and finding expensive $20-30 per bottle of juice, it may be the best in the world but if you're looking to save money and can find a good juice for a few bucks a bottle why spend $30 every day on an all day vape liquid when you'd be just as happy with that special treat once a month or so. Look for vapers who have weaned down on nic - occasionally you can find someone who has a ton of 18-24mg nic juice sitting around, unopened, that they'll never get to before it expires, some are willing to just pif it freely to new vapers, some will want some $ for shipping or $ to cover the expense they're giving up, but most often you'll find that's a good way to get started trying different juices.

If you're not comfortable with the expanded knowledge and experience that come with more advanced equipment, stick with what you feel comfortable with. I keep reading 'get a dripper' to try other flavors. What I don't see is, "if you have a Kanger evod tank - there's NOTHING saying you have to fill the thing full each time you put juice in." This is absolutely true. An evod may hold 3mls, you can put in far less than the full tank to just taste the juice, and the vape out the liquid you added, clean your tank and coil assembly and try something else. You're only out the $8-10 for the evod tank, and not having to spend hours at shop learning about a technology you're not convinced you're ready to experience. Or you can get 4-5 evod tanks for the cost of 1 basic dripper (depending on location), and you can always have a clean tank ready to try out new juice on. Just because the B&M will say 'fill up to just below that center post' - doesn't mean it won't work with less juice in the tank, Doesn't matter if that tank is an evod, aero, protank or whatever. If it works with less juice in it when you're emptying the tank from vaping, it'll work with less juice in it if you just put in less at the start.

When you're ready to move on to more advanced gear, ask people you trust, on here, local to you, at your local b&m - and if you have more than one local b&m go visit all of them. Knowledge greatly varies from one location to another, and what one may tell you might be absolutely incorrect, so get a few opinions, a few suggestions and do your research.

Liu

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
There's also the option of a bridgeless 510 atomizer. Tech before my time though, I wouldn't know where to begin to look for one.

Spike64

Vapemail Stalker
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
1.Start with a low nic juice. I purchased some 24mg and had a very bad start. I am happy around 12mg with no ill effects.

I'm not so sure about this one...While your personal experience may have been different, my own experience and the experiences of the dozens of former smokers that I have helped convert to vaping has been completely the opposite...18 to 24 is a good place for most new vapers, fresh off the analogs, to start...analogs are generally a high nic thing...unless someone was a quarter pack a day smoker of super extra ultra lights, I doubt lower nic is going to fly....I started at 18 but quickly moved to 24 to satisfy my cravings...this is similar to the experiences of most folks I know that vape and were successful in staying off the stinkies...YMMV...:)

I'm not so sure about this one...While your personal experience may have been different, my own experience and the experiences of the dozens of former smokers that I have helped convert to vaping has been completely the opposite...18 to 24 is a good place for most new vapers, fresh off the analogs, to start...analogs are generally a high nic thing...unless someone was a quarter pack a day smoker of super extra ultra lights, I doubt lower nic is going to fly....I started at 18 but quickly moved to 24 to satisfy my cravings...this is similar to the experiences of most folks I know that vape and were successful in staying off the stinkies...YMMV...:)

I agree. I smoked 2 and a half packs a day. I started vaping at 18 and quickly went down to six. Big mistake! I was thinking vaping wasn't working out for me until someone suggested I go back up to 18 and slowly work back down again. I'm at a six now but every now and then I have to hit my 12's and 18's to keep the urges away.

bystander

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So, like most everyone else, I started with cigalikes, and that went nowhere. Rebooted, got myself an Evod starter kit a week and a half ago, and all's well and good for the time being. Reading up on vaping the past couple of weeks made me realize that this is a slippery slope... and I'm now looking at upgrade paths: would that be a vv/vw, or something else? I'm happy with what I have right now, but I would like to make sure I don't go back to analogs once the "curiosity" wears off...

Spike64

Vapemail Stalker
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree. I smoked 2 and a half packs a day. I started vaping at 18 and quickly went down to six. Big mistake! I was thinking vaping wasn't working out for me until someone suggested I go back up to 18 and slowly work back down again. I'm at a six now but every now and then I have to hit my 12's and 18's to keep the urges away.

I just stayed at 24....I very rarely sub ohm (and when I do its like .8) and I'm not trying to quit vaping so there's no good reason I can think of for me to drop nic...

*Amended to say that since I got a higher wattage box mod and have been dripping with it, that I find that 6 mg suits my nic needs just fine...at least when I drip at high watts and lower ohms....I still prefer 24 in Protanks and the Nautilus and tanks like those...

Last edited:
So, like most everyone else, I started with cigalikes, and that went nowhere. Rebooted, got myself an Evod starter kit a week and a half ago, and all's well and good for the time being. Reading up on vaping the past couple of weeks made me realize that this is a slippery slope... and I'm now looking at upgrade paths: would that be a vv/vw, or something else? I'm happy with what I have right now, but I would like to make sure I don't go back to analogs once the "curiosity" wears off...

Smoked for 45+ years; gave it up for vaping 4 years ago and never looked back. My reason for making the switch was financial--vaping is WAY cheaper than smoking. But with the big tobacco companies working on taking over the vaping industry, vaping (the traditional way) will likely soon be as expensive as smoking.

With that in mind, I evolved to a VV mod (LavaTube by Volcano) with a KangerTech ProTank. There were some great YouTube videos that taught me how to rebuild burned out coils/attys for the ProTank; fairly easy to do, and costs pennies. Have also learned how to mix my own e-liquids. Right now, I'm still buying my attys and liquids from vendors, but I'm all set to DIY once vaping costs skyrocket.

Another reason I prefer my mod to a pen-style such as the Evod is the 18650 battery. Always have a fully-charged spare battery in my purse, and it's quick and easy to switch it out when the battery goes dead. No need to carry a charger with you, just a spare battery & atty. The battery lasts much longer too.

Savage_46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ALWAYS have a backup

Have a backup for your backup

If you order online, don't wait till the last minute. If you have 2 weeks left of supplies, order 3 weeks ahead.

Study up, and get your arguments & rebuttals ready for those who wanna bash on you or detract your choice.

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ALWAYS have a backup

Have a backup for your backup

If you order online, don't wait till the last minute. If you have 2 weeks left of supplies, order 3 weeks ahead.

Study up, and get your arguments & rebuttals ready for those who wanna bash on you or detract your choice.
Backup indeed! If you want to remain an ex-smoker (and not an EX-ex-smoker), never travel past an hour away from home without at least one fully-charged backup battery. I said backup. That means TWO batteries. And a working backup atty of any type, and some juice.

Not long after i started (i'd quit 100% within minutes of starting vaping), i made The Battery Mistake and had to buy a pack of damn coffin nails. I ended up smoking the whole stupid thing.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I heard a nurse in my Doctors office tell another, He going to Die. Korean Nurse. Lung infection. No smoking. Doc said Walgreens & other places have Ecigs. Now I'm here. 6 months ago I almost died. Now I can go where I want.
Smoking is a bad idea. I am not going to be the Richard Simmons of Vaping. You want to die, go ahead & smoke. I will light it for you. Want something else, try this. My Apple cherry tastes so much better than any cig ever did.

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
sheesh, everything I learn when I started is everything. pure and simple, knew nothing and now know alot but...I will never know it all, I will always be learning more about vaping...

jack

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I learned .... don't start smoking and you will never have to worry about juice , nicotine %, batteries, chargers ,cartos, the best tank , the best mod ,
dripping , rebuilding , cotton , silica , kanthal , drip tips , 510 connections,ohms , ss mesh , ss mechs , copper mechs, box mods , tube mods ,
3/16 drill bits, Kanger ,Innokin, P.Busardo, Grimmgreen ,Vapor Joes , Nitro ,Smokie, Ruby Roo, Click Bang ,Jenee Fowler ,Tyger Tyger, Todd,Igetcha69,
,Vaping Greek . A weaker person might get misty eyed !!! ROFL .

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Find at least one juice you REALLY like. Then, find some more. If you think you can DIY, I do recommend it as there is no end what you can do.

Eventually, you'll get tired or bored of just about any flavor and need a break. Most vapers have an ADV, but it's a good idea to have a number of juices in different strengths and flavors to suit your mood, your health or even the weather. Vaping means having choices.:)

I don't have lots of expensive gear, but consider: what good would $500 worth of gear be without the juice?

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Find at least one juice you REALLY like. Then, find some more. If you think you can DIY, I do recommend it as there is no end what you can do.

Eventually, you'll get tired or bored of just about any flavor and need a break. Most vapers have an ADV, but it's a good idea to have a number of juices in different strengths and flavors to suit your mood, your health or even the weather. Vaping means having choices.:)
I keep 4 gallons on hand from Bulk Appoth. 500 ml nic from My freedom smokes. Mt.Baker does my flavor. I buy 2 gallons a month, 2016 it's going to get real expensive. Fuck the FDA!

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am a "Vape Prepped". The Government will raise the price till the avg person has to struggle to afford it. Big Tobacco is on board with it. Bet your fore skin lobbyists will make money, we loose. I can't get onboard with feeding Fat Cats.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VG & PG will be a hundred a gallon. Nic a thousand a pint. The Bastards have done it to us before. Gas is 4.00 a gallon. Fuck them. I ride a Harley with a short carb. 55 miles a gallon.

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What I've personally learned that matter to me, specifically:
1. Vape charts are a good reference when you're just starting out. But if you move on to dual coils - color of the liquid and VG content also play roles - don't be afraid to increase the volts/watts
2. Do your due diligence on researching battery info
3. Make liberal use of free online Ohm's Law calculators to dial in your ideal vape settings
4. Tap into the knowledge of friendly VU members ... it's there for the taking! :D

Dissonance

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Very informative thread for people who are getting into vaping. When I started I spent a lot of money on gear that I really didn't need, only to discover down the line that price does not always equate to quality to match user need. Some people look to vaping as a hobby and want to try everything and anything on the market while others simply want to get something that works and will satisfy their cravings. You can get a very basic kit or create your own at a reasonable price. The adventure in learning really starts with the juice because that is what you will ingest into your body. Gear is secondary IMO. Test out different juices with reputable vendors, try out PG and VG and see which you like better. Go with 50/50 ratio and see where that takes you as that is a good starting gauge. If you were a pack a day smoker go with 18mg nicotine. If you smoked more than a pack still go with 18mg. I have found that at 18 you get a good throat hit and cravings are satisfied. You can always boost to 24 later on if needed. Be sure to "steep" your juices, some are made fresh and require a week or two steeping. All you need to do is shake them daily and keep in a cool dark place away from sunlight (your dresser drawer) In a week or two you will see the flavors oxidize and change colors, usually becoming lighter and more clearer. If your juice tastes foul after two weeks then consider trying other flavors or changing vendors, not all juice is made with quality ingredients and processed in sanitary environments. Be sure to experiment as much as possible, in time you will know what works best for your palate. Invest in juice don't skimp on quality because in the end you will get what you pay for. You don't need the most expensive mod but you do need quality juice. Get small samples from online vendors, if they don't offer them, then go with small 10ml or 15ml bottles. At most you'll spend $15 and know if the juice works for you. Be sure to read reviews but don't put your eggs in one basket, taste is subjective remember that.

Lastly, if you're starting out get a Vision Spinner battery, I recommend 1300 mAh the rating is equivalent to 1hr battery usage per 100 milliamps which translates to roughly 13 hrs but in real world experience I would say about 10. You'll need a tank to hold your juice as well. I recommend the Vivi Nova-S Aspire glass tank, 3.5ml is more than adequate and should last you through the day, no problem. Purchase one pack of 5 coils and see how they perform for you, a decent coil will last one week and a good one will last two weeks. One pack should last you a month and at that time you will be in a better position to assess whether or not it meets your needs. Get a good charger for your battery, you can buy USB and Wall Chargers at a good price. I recommend both. Charging via wall socket works better, doesn't drain your computer resources and charges faster. You can get them for $5 a piece. Purchase a small case for your battery and juice so you can take them anywhere you go $10 and put them in your backpack, purse or any portable storage travel medium you have. The important thing is to not let your battery come in contact with other metal objects. That's about it and all you need to get started. You can upgrade at a later time if you wish. This set up will keep it simple and aid you in breaking free from smoking. The start up costs require some investment but after the initial phase you won't have to worry much because the only thing you will replace are coils and juice. Batteries will last a good long time and tanks can last years if you care for them properly. So don't worry about thinking you need a lot of money to get into vaping, you most certainly do not. What you do need is a strong support system, faith in yourself and an open mind for the journey.

I hope this was helpful to you and that you're ready to join us in this incredibly vibrant Revolution taking the world by storm. All the best:)

Don't cheap out on starter gear. There's a reason that ce4 is $3, and the Evod is $8, that reason, is that the ce4 is fussy, old, and outdated.

I've been vaping for 10 months and have tried every tank out there. Funny-I keep coming back to CE4's! They're always dependable for me and with a new wick the taste is usually better than with bdc's. When they start leaking and gurgling, I just clean them out with a piece of tiny rolled up paper towel and I'm good to go. I use them with my Kamry K101, which I love. Someday I'll try a rebuildable tank, but for now this set up is fine for me.

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've evolved forward vaping so much that I find myself going backwards now :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors