Become a Patron!

Thining VG, Using PG or VG or both?

Tink

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am relatively new to vaping and are mixing my own juice. So far have only used VG and the flavors as that is what my son does. I am rather liking mixing my own as My tastebuds are vastly different than others. always have been. I am past the 2 weeks off stinky's. With mixing my own I can tweek it so I can taste it. I am finding that with mixing my own and using only vg I am not reacting as I did when I bought ready for use for a pen I had. I have a few questions I sure would appreciate having answers too.

Anyway I see most the folk here use both pg and vg in their mixes and I would love to know why, please.

I bought a tank and the vg appears to be a tad too thick for it. How do I thin my juice? If there are several options I would love to learn them.

Thanks,

Tink

Lotus Insane

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I will answer this for you Tink. First welcome to the site.

So this is a multi part question and I will try and answer each as best as possible. First you asked why we use PG and VG in the mixes. The short answer is PG is used as a carrier of the flavor while the VG is more for the vapor/cloud effect. Also some people have a reaction to high PG so that is why no one really mixes pure PG ejuice. I personally go 30% PG to 70% VG. Gives the right amount of cloudy vapor and still has that flavor, for me at least. Others go with 50/50. It all comes down to preference.

With the question on thinning the juice. That is a PG to VG issue. PG is a lot thinner liqued than VG. So if you start to use PG in your mixes, it will thin out the juice.

Again, hope these answers help, there is a lot more info on the short answers I have given if you want to read more into it.

Take care.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You could use a little distilled water, I hate the taste of PG, I use 100% VG in squonkers, so the thickness makes no difference.

Tink

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes please more information.

Squonkers? Bottom feeding rather than geniss style with the atomizer sitting on the top. My new tank, the atomizer is on the bottom. It is a Heracles. is not wicking the juice up fast enough with cotton wicking. Double fused Claptons. than it is doing the burnt thing. Yuck. I am on my own here as son does not like tanks so until I bought one he did not have one.

Distilled water I have that. I have worried about if I would have a allergic reaction to pg. As that is what hapend with store bought ready to use e juice.

So Pg is more about the flavor? I am a flavor chaser.

Thank you thank you thank you!

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good luck....and try a bottom fed Squonker, you may end up tossing all the tanks.....:wave:

Lotus Insane

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have worried about if I would have a allergic reaction to pg. As that is what hapend with store bought ready to use e juice.
Around when were you buying the store bought liquid? And do you remember what it said on the bottle? Was this around the vape pen era?

Tink

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes it was during the e-vape pen era was oh 2 perhaps 3 years ago. The pens when I bought mine was all there was in the small town I was in. Did not have access to internet at the time lived out in the middle of nowhere.

I reacted to all of them I bought, do not remember brands. I do remember though that the cheapest one from a liquor store that was the only one I found that said kosher on it was the least harsh and caused the least reaction.

Just came from the Squonker thread. Lovely. Looks to me like that has my name written all over it.

Thank you.

Lotus Insane

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I am really wondering if the ones you bought in the past were 70% pg, if not they could have been 50%. I can say for myself while vaping 50/50 that it did irritate me, switching to 70% vg 30% pg solved the issue for me and only dulled the flavor a little bit.

Last edited:

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
@Tink Welcome to VU! As others have mentioned you can thin out your juice with distilled water. Try 5% to start, you may need to go up to 10%. It all depends on how much flavoring you are using as most flavors are PG based. Lots of helpful folks here and lots of great recipes to try.

@inspects Is that a Petri on the top squonker? If so where did you get a BF pin for it? I have an authentic Petri and a couple of clones. I would consider messing with one of the clones to get it BF. I have 8 squonkers and I'm always on the lookout for BF attys... Can't have too many... :D

Last edited:

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yes it was during the e-vape pen era was oh 2 perhaps 3 years ago. The pens when I bought mine was all there was in the small town I was in. Did not have access to internet at the time lived out in the middle of nowhere.

I started around the same time I think, and most of the stuff I got from the local tobacco joint was 80/20VG I believe.
Luckily I haven't had any problems with PG yet and have settled in with 70/30VG now.

Somebody here mentioned Palm based VG being a bit thinner than the others although I can't confirm.
But as mentioned adding some distilled water should help with better wicking for now.

BTW Welcome to VU...

Newbie Poster here, my first Post - replying to Tink
Hi Tink, Hi all o_O:rolleyes:o_O:rolleyes:

YES, Tink, I too have issues, I use only " food grade approved" VG it's goopy thick.

I in fact mixed a bottle two days ago. I let it set, left it, I added more drops
of the same flavor, ( a lot more) I haven't vaped it yet.
It's less thick, it's not quite right yet, needs time,, same same.. TASTES
and smells great !

I do not use PG at all. I use VG, a funnel, and Real Flavor which is 100 VG base.
I am Nic Free, nun for me, I am Nic free since March 2016. Never again.

I have a comparison for you. http://gremlinjuice.com/

Try Gremlins, 100 VG line, see the difference, this may help you tweak your own.
It is thinner for sure. The price surely not to break your bank. 5.50 for 15ml, 8.50 for 30ml.
I do not know what they do different to make it thinner. I buy my VG from Gremlins DIY site.

The flavorings of Gremlins 100 VG line brand is: Real Flavor.
RF is derived from real not synthetic, Gremlins making Huge batches vs my singles, IDK.
It's such a fine line of using just enough to using too much flavoring by volume, destroying the flavor.

What's cool about " Real Flavor" is they do not add extra sweeteners ..which
gumps and goos up coils, and can make a person feel like DAWG.

Real Flavor site for more info on their product lines: https://www.realflavors.com/
I do not work for, I do not represent either mentioned, I do not have any ties with
Gremlins E-juice or Real Flavors. I am a customer. A very pleased customer of both sites.
Gremlin Ejuice and Gremlin DIY - http://gremlindiy.com/

I have purchased 25 Real Flavors, from Gremlin DIY, 6 or so were MEH, this expected.
The rest are " Straight up Mouth Watering right out of the bottle, Flavor is 10, the aroma is 10.
- Real deal to their description. I love them !

Gremlins is for all you fans out there, having a Halloween
sale, 25% off orders, this ends on OCT 31, the code is: TREATME

They are tossing in free bottles too, they have leftovers from a trade show, they can't
pick, but their adding a 15-30ml bottle to every order placed, it could be any array of flavor or Nic.

I hope this helps Tink, you to try out the Real Flavors :) playing is work in progress :)
Take Advantage of the 25% off ! Gremlins Rocks = super fast shipping, No Complaints.

Kimsan :mooncat: Happy Vaping

Tink

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you thank you thank you for the reply's. Love the links and all the advise thank you!

I have learned a great deal reading on this forum and are very grateful for all the assistance.

Grandpa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Tink,

I've been vaping since July, mixing my own DIY juice for a couple months. I've got a basic set of lab glass (which I am, and will continue, to add to) and a really good scale. So I am doing everything by weight. Up until now I have been vaping 10 mg./100 ml., straight VG, no flavoring. That will change in the next few days as I am waiting on my first order of a variety of flavorings from the Perfumer's Apprentice. Once the cold hit here, my liquid got pretty thick, as I vape on my unheated, enclosed back porch. I fooled around with both PG and distilled water, and the upshot is I have settled on 10% distilled water. Keeps my liquid flowing and tastes just fine. At 15%, it wasn't that good. I am having good luck using distilled water, but I see in other places that it is not good to use any other water than distilled. Tap and bottled water will gunk up your coils and may leave an unpleasant aftertaste. Specific gravity on distilled water is 1.00 @ 60° F., a little more or a little less depending on the temperature the water is. 1 is close enough. Makes it very straight forward to weigh it in grams.

Hope this helps from the perspective of another newb.

VU Sponsors