Become a Patron!

Thinking about getting back into vaping and need some help

Im The Doctor

Member For 4 Years
Like the title says, I'm looking at getting back into vaping after a 1-2 year hiatus.

During my hiatus, I would vape occasionally but mainly smoked. Long story short, I made vaping too complicated I think and was trying way too many different setups, constantly buying the newest latest stuff, watching vape shows, on forums, etc.

So now that I'm looking at getting back into it I'm going to follow the KISS method. I'm going to go with mechanical tube mods and kayfuns. I can rebuild those (and already have all the stuff) fairly easily.

Here's where I need the help. In taking inventory of what I have, there are a few things I'm looking for and hoping that you guys can point me in the right direction. May be getting rid of some stuff as well. Here's what I need:

Nemesis clone - had an hcigar clone and lost it. This was my favorite by far, but don't know who even has them and how much they go for. I know most people don't use them anymore. I looked on the classifieds here and didn't see anything.

Battery charger - had a nitecore charger that worked well until my dog spilled coffee on it. Don't ask. Wondering if those are still good to go, where to get them, etc. Saw on amazon for about 20 bucks, wasn't sure if there were other chargers that were better/newer/faster

Juice - typically I used Virus from Nicoticket and carmel coffee from mount baker vapor. Any suggestions based on those flavors would be appreciated. I'll still get them but would like to branch out a little. Typically don't go for fruit or sweet flavors, and no menthol.

Thanks in advance for the help

ChibiChula

Member For 4 Years
If you're not in a hurry to get the Nemesis clone then your best bet is buying direct from China, FastTech or GearBest usually have the best prices. If you want it quickly you're better off getting from an online shop that is close to where you live. I wouldn't bother trying at a local B&M unless you've got tons of extra cash. I can't recommend anywhere specific unless I know when you need it and how much you've got to spend.

Nitecore chargers are still solid but there are better out there now. Honestly, I'd just point you at VaporJoes deals blog for that one.

Juice.... That's a tough one as taste is subjective and I prefer sweet and fruit vapes myself. Though if you're looking for coffee vapes, I'd point you at EcigOutpost.com because they extract their own coffee flavor. The hazelnut coffee is good.

Wow, I'm so not helpful today, am I? Sorry.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey Doc, check Ebay for your Nemesis. They have them in just about every color, configuration and build quality imaginable. I use the Nitecore D2, and it works great. juice as you know is subjective when it comes to flavors, so I would suggest sample packs to get a variety of juices to try. Take a look at verdevalleyvapes.com for some good deals. Good luck on your journey.

Im The Doctor

Member For 4 Years
If you're not in a hurry to get the Nemesis clone then your best bet is buying direct from China, FastTech or GearBest usually have the best prices. If you want it quickly you're better off getting from an online shop that is close to where you live. I wouldn't bother trying at a local B&M unless you've got tons of extra cash. I can't recommend anywhere specific unless I know when you need it and how much you've got to spend.

Nitecore chargers are still solid but there are better out there now.

Yeah not in a hurry on the nemesis, just not sure what online shops still carry them since they're somewhat out of vogue now. Can't remember all the online shops that I used to order from so kind of at a loss on where to look.

Also, what chargers are out there that are better? I saw stuff on the blog but not sure if good or not and the deal is expired now I think

Im The Doctor

Member For 4 Years
Hey Doc, check Ebay for your Nemesis. They have them in just about every color, configuration and build quality imaginable. I use the Nitecore D2, and it works great. juice as you know is subjective when it comes to flavors, so I would suggest sample packs to get a variety of juices to try. Take a look at verdevalleyvapes.com for some good deals. Good luck on your journey.

Didn't even occur to check ebay, I thought they had a ban on vape stuff. Then again, that shows how out of touch I am.

Capt.Hatchet

Member For 4 Years
On the juice, try eliquid.com. They have about every flavor you can imagine and the prices are not bad. Also you can search by flavor.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Doc, and welcome to the Underground!

Not sure I'd call a mech mod and Kayfun "keeping it simple" compared to all of the idiot-proof plug-and-play regulated mods and throwaway coil tanks available these days, but that's still a solid setup for sure!

This FT Nemmy was my daily driver for about 8-10 months between the time I moved from eGos and low-powered mods like Vamos into modern regulated devices:

https://www.fasttech.com/p/1649200

Thing worked like a champ and was dirt cheap - the finish, however, suffered immensely from the jobsite abuse I put it through. A plain steel or chrome version of the same clone would likely work well - I finally did a magnet upgrade (about $2 for 10 magnets on FT, you only need 2-3 depending on how hard you want your button throw) made it even better but the magnets came in the same order as my v1 Sig 100 box so I hardly got to use them before I became a regulated vaping guy almost exclusively.

The Nitecore Intellicharger series is still good, my i2 is still running like a champ though it mostly gets used on AAs and AAAs for my TV clickers, I've got an Efest LUC which is also nice - Nitecore also has a Digicharger series out now that's pretty good, Efest has a new 6-bay charger that I've eyed with some interest and the Xtar VC series is currently considered top-notch as far as chargers go.

Hope this helps, and good luck with the renewed quit! I vaped for a while around 2009-2010 and went back to smoking for a few years before finally deciding to stick with it in 2013 - browse around and the tech advances over the last 18 months are even more mind-blowing than they were to me when I came back after my 2-year hiatus...

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
simple would be getting one of the Mc Nugget tanks and a regultaed mod....don't have to build shit, just pop coilheads in and out....

skiibo4200

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Honestly man I'd go with a tfv4 mini and buy coil heads they have a ton to fit your vape style and a little 60-100watt regulated mod you can get that set up cheap.. under 100 bucks.

But with that being said if your stuck on a nemi mod I have one I'd sell ya. Pm me if interested.
b581fb3383a7b2f3492dc79c2e8beedc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Im The Doctor

Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the replies, for some reason wasn't getting notifications that people were responding.

A few follow up questions for you:

I have a Sigelei 150w and was using an Atlantis tank with it. Didn't like the airy draw on it and it seemed to be too much for me. Like trying to vape a fog machine. Couldn't get a nice even hit from it because it felt like it was blowing the top of my head off. This may have been too much nic causing it. I was looking into the temp control mods but again, don't need/want something that produces some huge cloud. When I try to vape that I end up hacking my head off.

So what are your thoughts on temp control stuff? I like the super simplicity of having a regulated mod with a tank but don't want to feel like I took a hit off a 12 gauge

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Temp control can help, but it's by no means necessary. Have you tried closing down the air control adjustment on your Atlantis and vaping at a lower wattage?

What nic level are you using? You're going to be hard-pressed to use much more than 6 mg in a sub-ohm tank like the Atlantis unless you're a pretty heavy (like 2 packs-a-day heavy) smoker.

While I don't have direct Atlantis experience, I'm pretty sure the airflow will get down to the point it's useful, and I believe they have higher-resistance coils as well. I've been setting up potential quitters with Kanger Subtanks, which have 1.2 ohm coils available and a very small airflow option to make it useful for mouth-to-lung style vaping similar to smoking - this should produce a good, mild result around 15-20 watts.

Im The Doctor

Member For 4 Years
Yeah I was at 18 mg. So we're thinking go with a higher resistance and less nic to get the desired effect? The reason I said earlier that I'd go with a mech and kayfun is because the kayfun is super easy to build on and has a nice tight draw (which I like). My atlantis is broken so I'll need to get a new tank anyway, may look at the Kanger.

Does the subtank have that weird flavor like the protanks did? Tried one of those once and it was terrible. had a strange machine oil type taste even after I cleaned it. Not sure if it was the heads or what but hated it

skiibo4200

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
18mg with a subtank would kill anyone's throat 9mg is the highest I've tryed with a subtank and it was not enjoyable at all. I vape 3mg or less in drippers and sub tanks.
And I belive the Kanger subbox and subtank would be a good starter set up. Reliable durable and great quality. I've never had kanger products with machine oil. But even if just your tank had oil on it and you put a coil in it and got that machine oil in your cotton, theirs no getting it out.. you ruined your coil you need a new one at that point.

Also kanger starter kit is pretty cheap.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, nic level will make a huge difference with an airy cloud tank like atlantis. 6mg is pretty high (green face) and for me 3mg is close to right (4mg diy juice is perfect).

If you have a Sig 150, toss that kayun on there and dial it in to the vape your looking for. If you need kanthal and wick, hit me up and I'll mail you some. I have 28g that I will never build with.
6mg is not a high nic level with that tank, all good there, not much vapor to turn you green like a subohm tank or dripper.

Temp control is another level of dialing in exactly what you want and consistently hitting the mark with a quick ramp up time but a cool vape if you wish or anywhere in between cool or hot but no lag.
Mess around with what you got for now and research temp control if you want to go to the newer gear.

Im The Doctor

Member For 4 Years
I'll certainly look at the sub tank, maybe with higher resistance coils. About the sub box - does it do anything my Sigelei won't do? If I get the higher resistance coils, would you still recommend no more that 6 mg?

See, one of the problems before was that I went full retard and bought stuff constantly. If it was new I bought it. So this time around I'm trying to keep it reasonable and not make it into a hobby like I did before. I think part of why I quit vaping was because I made it too difficult to vape.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For now, use what you got. Get some 6mg juice, build your kayfun and have at it.

There are may other subohm tanks besides the subtank, do some research while you vape on your kayfun.

No, sub box is no different besides less power than the sig 150. If you buy anything, get a temp control box that can do TC or regular watts. No reason not to get a TC now a days and actually hard to avoid since just about all of them are TC & watts now.

Im The Doctor

Member For 4 Years
Speaking of Kayfun, I have the version with just a small airhole which is not adjustable. Anyone have any idea what version that is? Also anyone have one they want to get rid of or know where I can pick one up for a decent price? Want to get a backup so that I can always have one build and ready to go. Don't want to find myself in a situation where I can't vape because I need to build a coil.

skiibo4200

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Speaking of Kayfun, I have the version with just a small airhole which is not adjustable. Anyone have any idea what version that is? Also anyone have one they want to get rid of or know where I can pick one up for a decent price? Want to get a backup so that I can always have one build and ready to go. Don't want to find myself in a situation where I can't vape because I need to build a coil.
Get the Lemo 2 same build deck with the top fill option. I used to have one and I used it all the time till I graduated to the next Gen tanks.

http://vapenw.com/lemo-2-by-eleaf

VU Sponsors