Become a Patron!

Thinking of getting a new drill...recommendations?

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Topic pretty much says it all.
Currently using an older DeWalt 18v with two batteries in rotation, but one of them is barely holding a charge and I don't want the other going out on me and leaving me without a drill. I know I can get more batteries, but these are older NiCd batteries and I'm thinking of getting something newer and possibly with more Volts that uses Li-ion batteries or perhaps even a corded drill, if I can find one that has a base to keep it standing while using it rather than having the cord come out of the base eliminating that possibility. Just looking for what everyone else is using and whether they would or would not recommend it.

You're not drinking water are you?! You realize that stuff is found in antifreeze!?!

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Only problem with Makita is that I'd have to go to Home Depot for that and I've boycotted shopping there since I started working for them 4 years ago and they refuse to bring back our Employee Discount Program, lol. It's the only place I've ever worked that didn't give at least a 10% off discount for employees.
Actually, I think Ace Hardware might sell them too...might check that out.

You're not drinking water are you?! You realize that stuff is found in antifreeze!?!

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Only problem with Makita is that I'd have to go to Home Depot for that and I've boycotted shopping there since I started working for them 4 years ago and they refuse to bring back our Employee Discount Program, lol. It's the only place I've ever worked that didn't give at least a 10% off discount for employees.
Actually, I think Ace Hardware might sell them too...might check that out.

try your local lumber supply

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I make a lot of coils. A lot...

These are the 2 that I use. They're from Harbor Freight and are incredibly cheap when you get them on sale. And they just keep going. There's no reason to spend $75+ on a drill capable of driving bolts into cement when all you're using it for is spinning coils. I'll easily get over a year out of these making 200+ coils/month.

This one I use primarily for straightening wire:
18-Volt-3-8-in.-Cordless-Drill-Driver-With-Keyless-Chuck-21-Clutch-Settings.jpg

This one I use for spinning coils
image_25758.jpg

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You might want to look into the Dewalt replacement batteries because compared to the ones my drill came with the new ones are much better and longer lasting.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a makita 18v li-ion but I use it because I have it. Makita's have been pretty good to me and the kit I got included the drill, impact, a pair of batteries and charger. Batteries charge in like 20-30min. Seems it was around $200 or something, maybe $180 on sale. Not sure if it's really the way to go for simply building coils unless you build a lot of coils. Helps having the variable speed trigger and two speed clutch so if I need to wind really slow I can drop it down.

I'm sure there are less expensive options that would work fine, it's only twisting wire. Not like heavy work installing decking or anything where it's liable to encounter a lot of torque or pressure that might wear out a cheaper drill a lot faster.

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a makita 18v li-ion but I use it because I have it. Makita's have been pretty good to me and the kit I got included the drill, impact, a pair of batteries and charger. Batteries charge in like 20-30min. Seems it was around $200 or something, maybe $180 on sale. Not sure if it's really the way to go for simply building coils unless you build a lot of coils. Helps having the variable speed trigger and two speed clutch so if I need to wind really slow I can drop it down.

I'm sure there are less expensive options that would work fine, it's only twisting wire. Not like heavy work installing decking or anything where it's liable to encounter a lot of torque or pressure that might wear out a cheaper drill a lot faster.

It's not going to be a drill dedicated to only building coils...that's just the primary function for the most part, it will also be used for the miscellaneous repairs and such that come along. Right now my coil of choice is triple core Alien Coils and I freehand all of my coils rather than using any sort of swivel system setup, so, the variable speed is a must and I'm thinking that the slow speed of trying to catch a groove and then the medium speed that I use after catching said groove is what is wearing and grinding things down...the only time I just go balls out on the speed is when doing the initial clapton to decore.
And now I'm seeing that "...unless you build a lot of coils" line and wondering what would be considered a lot of coils, hehe. I enjoy building coils not just to use, but also just recreationally for a hobby, so, I'm not one to just build two coils when I need to replace mine...it's usually more like build 10, pick out the 2 best for immediate use and toss the others in a side box or distribute them to friends and such. Sometimes I'll go a week without building and sometimes I'll go on a binge and end up with a workstation that looks like this
2562b33b3716d2abc9291fb6ea206957.jpg

I think it's roughly 50 coils built over the last 3-4 days...hmmmm, maybe it is a bit overkill...are there support groups for this type of thing? Lol

mikekscholz

Member For 4 Years
I really want to switch to a corded drill and hook it up to variable speed pedal to take the strain off my trigger finger.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A bit late replying back (didn't see replies until mikekscholz posted). If it's going to be a drill you want to add to a toolkit then maybe check out makita, dewalt or ridgid. Some have more angle than others when sitting flat on the battery pack, my makita angles slightly upward which isn't 100% ideal for setting it on a table top to wind coils. Most of the nicer ones in the $100-120 range have variable speed triggers which is what you want for finer control.

Some have led lights on them (to see the screw in darker areas). I'm sure several are using li-ion battery packs and fast chargers, sure beats the older nicad types that took awhile to charge. My makita uses the smaller packs (I don't have the xlt batteries) and they hold a decent charge and charge up in around 20min.

Either check home improvement stores for sales especially around the holidays or there's places online that sell reconditioned tools like cpo outlets and you can usually save a few dollars. Most are pretty well made, some people have a preference for one brand over another. Some have faster max spindle speeds than others.

I've always had good luck with the makitas over the years and they're usually priced a bit better than dewalt though I've used dewalts as well. Anything and everything from general construction, maintenance, large decking jobs, automotive and now coil building. Although compared to the old days of screwing in decking with phillips head screws and bits that wear and slip I've switched to using a small impact and torx screws. That's where the combo kits come in handy, packed with a drill and driver combo along with a couple batteries and charger. Plus you can swap out batteries so your cordless drill is never dead waiting on a charge if you rotate batteries.

VU Sponsors