Become a Patron!

Thinnest stagger doable?

Markcyril

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I'm fairly new to building but thinking of getting to sfc right after perfecting fused clapton.

My question is that what's the thinnest stagger doable? 40g would be pretty crazy to sfc since it's almost like hair. I've seen some people use 36g. Is that like the top end of stagger wire possible?

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
once you get a feel for 40, you can use it for anything. lots of the pros here use 40 on staggertons and other hard af builds.

Markcyril

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just received my first vape mail earlier today. Nailed some 2x26g x 40g fused. Only made 3x28g x 34g aliens though. Next stops are sfc and ssfc. Looking even at 40g (thickest claptoning wire I ordered) makes me doubt that I'll make decent sfc and ssfc. Guess I'll have to practice and waste some wires. Wish me luck

received_567973123578939.jpeg received_568043600238558.jpeg

Last edited:

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
your aliens look great @Markcyril ...staggering was/is the hardest technique for me, but its doable with some practice. wasted wire is one of the key ingredients in getting good at this, so dont feel too bad when you have to do it :cheers: come hang out with us in the post your builds thread, we love fresh meat...i mean, new faces :devil:

Markcyril

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
your aliens look great @Markcyril ...staggering was/is the hardest technique for me, but its doable with some practice. wasted wire is one of the key ingredients in getting good at this, so dont feel too bad when you have to do it :cheers: come hang out with us in the post your builds thread, we love fresh meat...i mean, new faces :devil:

Heyyyy thanks a lot brother. Tried ssfc after waking up. I think something's wrong with my prep. Ribbon rolled on me and I think my stagger frame isn't tight enough.

I'll check out post your build thread. Happy to look for inspirations. Cheers :cheers:

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Heyyyy thanks a lot brother. Tried ssfc after waking up. I think something's wrong with my prep. Ribbon rolled on me and I think my stagger frame isn't tight enough.

I'll check out post your build thread. Happy to look for inspirations. Cheers :cheers:
prep is 100% of those builds. check out the official staple thread, theres a couple really great posts in there on prep and setup by some local heroes. once you get a solid ribbon stack (framed or not), the rest is easy. i actually find alien framed staples are easier to wrap than regular 3 core round wire because my stacks are so hard they cant triangle out or twist...but it took me a lot of mistakes to get my prep to that point. looking forward to mroe of your builds man :cheers:

edit -lol just was reading through the staple thread and see you are already in there...:p

Markcyril

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
prep is 100% of those builds. check out the official staple thread, theres a couple really great posts in there on prep and setup by some local heroes. once you get a solid ribbon stack (framed or not), the rest is easy. i actually find alien framed staples are easier to wrap than regular 3 core round wire because my stacks are so hard they cant triangle out or twist...but it took me a lot of mistakes to get my prep to that point. looking forward to mroe of your builds man :cheers:

edit -lol just was reading through the staple thread and see you are already in there...:p

I'm still in awe with crazychef. Prepping a single stick in 5 while I almost took 15 just to stack my .5 ribbons

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
All it takes is practice. And remember, I do this for a living - I get a lot more practice than your average builder. It just makes sense that I'm a bit faster. Nobody starts running marathons before they learn to crawl.

Markcyril

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
All it takes is practice. And remember, I do this for a living - I get a lot more practice than your average builder. It just makes sense that I'm a bit faster. Nobody starts running marathons before they learn to crawl.

Hey chef thanks for swinging by. I'm actually trying to make a small business with some local shops around me so prepping faster would be great for me.

Went back to ribbons these past few days and got the hang of it. I think I prepped 5 framed staple and 6 staples(6 and 8 plys, 12 inches) in less than an hour. Now that's not as fast as you can do but I'm pretty happy with my progress.

Next step now is to go smaller in ribbon size. Any tips for me? :cheers:

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I don't do anything different with smaller ribbon sizes - but the smallest I've used is 0.2x0.1. Just gotta be a bit more careful. I use 38g wire for my sliders, so I usually cut a bunch of them ahead of time. Around 100-200 at a time.

Markcyril

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use leftover 40g from a spool not enough to make a meter of fused clapton for both ends of my ribbon stack and paper clips to keep my cores parallel. Somehow ribbon and thin gauge wires doesn't work as a slider for me.

Thanks chef. Cheers :cheers:

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
That's what I do, too - use the 38g spool remnants. Right now I have 26 spools that need to be cut into sliders. It's a PITA, but it also saves time in the long run. It's one of the things I do in my down time.

VU Sponsors