Become a Patron!

Thinning out thicker juices

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So I got 4 bottles of juice in 40VG/60PG and they are a little thick for my liking. I talked to the company and they said next time I can request a different ratio. Their normal ar the 40/60 and max VG. So I was wondering what would be the easiest way to thin out these four bottle a tad. I am used to 70PG/30VG or 60PG/40VG. I have heard that you can use water but I don't know how much I should use. Trying not to make it too complicated. The bottles are 30ml if that matters.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do know that some people who use max vg use 10% distilled water. Or you could use PG, since that is what you prefer!

LoveVanilla

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Distilled water works well, cheap, easily available and avoids the minerals and chloride present in tap water. Add a drop at a time to figure out the sweet spot on your device. As Amanda noted, 10% should be plenty adequate. I would suggest starting ~2-3% and working your way up.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So I got 4 bottles of juice in 40VG/60PG and they are a little thick for my liking. I talked to the company and they said next time I can request a different ratio. Their normal ar the 40/60 and max VG. So I was wondering what would be the easiest way to thin out these four bottle a tad. I am used to 70PG/30VG or 60PG/40VG. I have heard that you can use water but I don't know how much I should use. Trying not to make it too complicated. The bottles are 30ml if that matters.
I would not do the water it will totally take the flavor away I have experimented with 10% water and it just ruins everything even if it steeps.
The only way to do this is to up your PG but you are going to lose flavor if they are 30ml bottles I would try this first.. Put 5ml in another container and add 10 drops of PG and test... Now I am not saying to do it but you could add I would start with 3 drops of distilled or bottled water in yoru atomizer see if that helps any sadly no matter what you will lose some flavor... but in thoery with the PG it may stay the same since the VG is holding the flavor the PG could release it.. I know that is alot but I have tried all kinds of tricks since I DIY I can fix stuff easily but with ready made juice not as easy..

LoveVanilla

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
But MrScaryZ, this is how I always make juice... Normally I'm mixing 100% vg with 10-15% DW. But a few percent of dw should thin just fine and not significantly affect flavor. If your juice were 10% flavor (for example), and you thinned with 2% dw, you're still at 9.8% flavor -- not a huge difference. However do work on a sample rather than the whole batch. And unless the wick on your device is the real issue, a few percent should be plenty. In fact, check and replace your wick first.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
But MrScaryZ, this is how I always make juice... A few percent of dw should thin just fine and not significantly affect flavor. If, your juice is 10% flavor (for example), and you thin with 2% dw, you'll have 9.8% flavor -- not a huge difference. But do work on a sample rather than the whole batch. Unless the wick on your device is the real issue, a few percent should be plenty. In fact, check and replace your wick first.
To each his own... I understand your point thats why as I was typing if you re-read you will see I said to add a couple drops and see... I dont play with others juices I have enough madness haha :)

LoveVanilla

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Your caught me still editing... :) But yeah, as couple percent or 1-2 drops in your tank should be sufficient and not really noticable. But again check your wick first -- they tend to gunk and not flow very well and usually the first thing to check.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
adding water or pg will be the quickest fix. there will be some flavor loss, Id bet minimal. one thing you could do if the ol vape budget allows is just order more liquid but ask them to make it 80-90 pg and 20-10 vg and then mix those together.

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So if I was to go the water route how many drops to a 30ml bottle would suffice?

Tap'd from my LG G2

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So if I was to go the water route how many drops to a 30ml bottle would suffice?

Tap'd from my LG G2
Depends bro on the type of flavor strength etc that is why I suggested just putting maybe a ml or so or fill up a small atomizer where you know the ml add a drop shake like hell try it then if that doesnt work for ya add another.. there is no scientific method each flavor, pg/vg ratio will be different..
give it a shot all ya have to lose at best s maybe 3.5 ml :)

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ok so I got a 30ml bottle of PG from the company I bought my juice from. I don't really want to break down a 30ml bottle into individual smaller bottles. So how many drops of PG should I put into a 30ml bottle to bring the ratio closer to 60PG/40VG from the current 40PG/60VG??? Not looking for an exact amount to make it perfect. Just a good round number to make it a little thinner.

VU Sponsors