Become a Patron!

This Drill.

johntheawe

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So I have a dremel. Not working for me when I build coils. The only thing it's good for is twisting a single strand of kanthal into a twisted coil. It does it perfectly in half a second, but I need a drill. I wanna build shit like clapton coils.
Someone, please tell me if this has the chuck for doing so:

CLICK HERE

I just need to know if I can build coils with it. The picture wasn't large enough for me to tell.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Yes, that should do it. In the specs it says forward and reverse switch, that's what you'll need for making those fancy coils.

PS: I guess you found the videos I mentioned in your other thread.

johntheawe

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yes, that should do it. In the specs it says forward and reverse switch, that's what you'll need for making those fancy coils.

PS: I guess you found the videos I mentioned in your other thread.
Well yeah, but I already seen most of his videos, none of his you can do with a dremel, besides twisted, like I said.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It also has a variable speed trigger which is good, but I kinda wonder if the keyless chuck would be more of a pain for our purposes than a drill with a regular keyed chuck. Just a thought.

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i have this one and it is as strong as the first day I bought it 2 or 3 years ago.
dewrdc970k-2r.jpg

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Can't click the link on my phone, but I've dished out a real beating to my Ryobi 18v (Home Depot house brand) cheapo over the last few years and it's holding up like a champ...

johntheawe

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Look, I need a drill around that exact price range, with the changable spin direction and variable speed trigger, with the same type of chuck that you see in coil build vids. The chuck is what I am worrying about, because idk what the chuck on that is.

Firestorm

Member For 4 Years
Older power drills used to have a key that you would use to loosen and tighten the chuck. Newer drills have a ring that you use instead (it's quite simple, hold the ring in place and change the spin direction to tighten or loosen the chuck). Either will work, but I think that the keyless chucks are easier and better as there's one fewer piece to lose. Either way, I just put a modified paperclip in the chuck and hook the wire on if I want to twist it. I have a drill like the DeWALT pictured above - a variable speed trigger is very nice for regulating the speed at which the drill spins.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Having to hold the ring in place with one hand while pulling the trigger with the other hand makes it kinda hard to clamp two wires just the way you want in the chuck with both hands occupied and the chuck spinning doesn't it? I haven't made any fancy wires so maybe I'm wrong, just trying to help make sure the OP gets a drill with the options that suit his needs best.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Having to hold the ring in place with one hand while pulling the trigger with the other hand makes it kinda hard to clamp two wires just the way you want in the chuck with both hands occupied and the chuck spinning doesn't it? I haven't made any fancy wires so maybe I'm wrong, just trying to help make sure the OP gets a drill with the options that suit his needs best.
It's easy enough to tighten/loosen the chuck spinning the lock ring by hand - holding it and firing the drill is just the lazy man's way of doing it. Either works fine, but hand-tightening is the only way I've found to clamp wires in place...

Brian L

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Most cordless drills will not spin unless the trigger is pulled, so you can tighten the chuck with only one hand and hold whatever you're clamping in it with the other. Most any drill with a 3/8" chuck should work fine. Cordless would be the better option because a corded drill will continue to spin, briefly, after you let off the trigger. You have more precise control with a cordless. Aside from that, most drills will have the same brand of chuck on them.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I see. My drill has a key so I wasn't sure. I've used the keyless kind before, but it's been a while and couldn't remember if you could manually tighten it with one hand.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Look, I need a drill around that exact price range, with the changable spin direction and variable speed trigger, with the same type of chuck that you see in coil build vids. The chuck is what I am worrying about, because idk what the chuck on that is.
If you really need to cheap out, a guy that occasionally works for me has had one of these for a few months and it seems to be holding up:

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-...h-keyless-chuck-21-clutch-settings-68239.html

Of course, if all you're doing is wrapping coils it should be more than up to the task, and I think you'll be much happier with a cordless in the long run...

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I tell ya, some guys laugh at me because they've spent twice as much on DeWalt or Milwaukee, but this little bugger and some of the other tools I've got have been absolute workhorses...
drill.jpg

For less than $1000 I've got 6 x 4000mah batteries (plus a few other lower-capacity li-ions or ni-cads I acquired here and there), a drill, impact driver, sawzall, mini skil-saw, jigsaw, palm sander, detail sander, jobsite radio, mini shop-vac, angle grinder, multi-tool cutter/grinder, finish nailer, even a weed whacker that runs 20+ minutes on a single battery and a 6-pack rapid charger so I never run out of juice...I can get most small jobs done before other guys can roll out their cords. The only thing I'm jealous of is a full-size circular saw one of the other companies puts out that uses two 18v batteries at once...anyways, it make quick work of twisting some simple dal 26g to put in my n23 clone tonight.
wire.jpg

scootervapes

Member For 4 Years
I'm calling bs, ryobi has nothing near a 4000mah battery. The best have no more than a 3 ah(3000mah).

I'm going to check and get back to you on this.

scootervapes

Member For 4 Years
Ok, humble cake for me. ..kind of. Milwaukee battery is 3000mah, ryobi which is the same company, claims 4000mah on certain batteries. Pack of 3ah milwaukee batteries is 139 and pack of 4ah ryobi is 99. We all know a battery can claim whatever specs they please, but ask efest,it doesn't mean it's true.

If it seems too good to be true. The top manufacturers use what is cheapest, before the change.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok, humble cake for me. ..kind of. Milwaukee battery is 3000mah, ryobi which is the same company, claims 4000mah on certain batteries. Pack of 3ah milwaukee batteries is 139 and pack of 4ah ryobi is 99. We all know a battery can claim whatever specs they please, but ask efest,it doesn't mean it's true.

If it seems too good to be true. The top manufacturers use what is cheapest, before the change.
I've got no way of actually measuring the claimed 4ah, you're certainly right that it could be fake. But I like doing dumb things just to try to see if I can break my tools, like cutting down a tree with a 6" trunk using a battery-powered sawzall or weed-whacking 1/2 acre including some light brush...when I get away with crap like that and I'm able to push these suckers for 25-30 minutes at a time doing that kind of work I'm certainly satisfied.

Plus, the Depot runs a 2-pack of batteries for the $99 single cost a few times a year - they normally overstock for Christmas, so right after New Years the last couple years I've been able to pick up those 2-packs for about $80. Can't beat that with a stick.

VU Sponsors