Become a Patron!

THIS IS WHY YOU NEED TO BE CAREFUL SENDING A COPY OF YOUR ID AND LAST 4 DIGITS OF YOUR SOCIAL

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
All of these vendors are starting to require a copy of your government ID and last 4 digits of your social security number.

There are reasons why 5150 will NEVER do this and I will just find a different vendor.

You can go on Big Tobacco's (Such as Newport or Marlboro) websites and you DO NOT have to give this information to sign up for coupons and other things.

If Big Tobacco has a third party age verification software that doesn't require any of this then WHY do vape sites need your ID and the last 4 digits of your SS number???

Here is why I will NEVER give a vendor the both a copy of my ID AND the last 4 digits of my Social:

You are basically giving that vendor your identity!

I am not saying I distrust any of the wonderful vendors who sell vape gear.

I just do not trust who they may trust, or the guy who services their PC's, or the hacker who steals all the info off of their hard drives, etc...

When you hand someone your ID to buy beer or cigs they would have to be a fucking genius to remember all of the information on there and they don't ask for your social.
Half the time they can't even find where the date of birth is an I have to point to it for them.

So there is a copy if your ID along with the last 4 digits of your social security number on file.
How does THAT equal your identity?

It doesn't - YET.

OK, I'm a criminal and I have YOUR ID and last 4 digits of YOUR social:

https://www.ssa.gov/employer/stateweb.htm
http://usrecordsearch.com/ssn.htm

"Since 1973, social security numbers have been issued by our central office. The first three (3) digits of a person's social security number are determined by the ZIP Code of the mailing address shown on the application for a social security number."

So now as long as you are 43 and under all I have to do is find out where (the zip code) you were born
Well that's simple because I have your ID.

http://www.spokeo.com

Even if you don't even live in the same state you were born in a site like this will tell me every move you made your entire life if I have your name, address, and DOB:

Now I have your name your address, your date of birth, your drivers license number and the first 3 digits and the last 4 digits of your social:

your name
your address
your state and zip
123 - XX - 4567

How hard do you think it would be for a criminal who steals identities for a living to brute force hack those two middle numbers?

the only choices it could be is from 00 to 99 which is ONLY 100 digits!

Now that I am you. I am going to go shopping for that speedboat I always wanted. Bye:wave: - 5150

But seriously folks. A copy of your license isn't too much to ask for but the last 4 of your social?

FUCK NO!

This is the part where you all tell me how you feel

EDIT: More info about this topic here: http://vapingunderground.com/threads/bluecheck.263247/

Last edited:

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No shit, I'm not buying a gun...

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I will not give out the last 4 numbers of my SS to any vape shop, online or not. The verification system being used are like a sirens call for criminals to hack. Imagine, all that juicy personal information on hundreds of thousands of people just ripe for the plucking.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just about every vendor now is using that 3rd party, there are others that can be used that don't ask for ss, but vendors are using that blue company because its cheaper, I was reading this in another thread. They are killing their own vape buisnesses

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
All of these vendors are starting to require a copy of your government ID and last 4 digits of your social security number.

There are reasons why 5150 will NEVER do this and I will just find a different vendor.

You can go on Big Tobacco's websites (Such as Newport or Marlboro) websites and you DO NOT have to give this information to sign up for coupons and other things.

If Big Tobacco has a third party age verification software that doesn't require any of this then WHY do vape sites need your ID and the last 4 digits of your SS number???

Here is why I will NEVER give a vendor the both a copy of my ID AND the last 4 digits of my Social:

You are basically giving that vendor your identity!

I am not saying I distrust any of the wonderful vendors who sell vape gear.

I just do not trust who they may trust, or the guy who services their PC's, or the hacker who steals all the info off of their hard drives, etc...

When you hand someone your ID to buy beer or cigs they would have to be a fucking genius to remember all of the information on there and they don't ask for your social.
Half the time they can't even find where the date of birth is an I have to point to it for them.

So there is a copy if your ID along with the last 4 digits of your social security number on file.
How does THAT equal your identity?

It doesn't - YET.

OK, I'm a criminal and I have YOUR ID and last 4 digits of YOUR social:

https://www.ssa.gov/employer/stateweb.htm

"Since 1973, social security numbers have been issued by our central office. The first three (3) digits of a person's social security number are determined by the ZIP Code of the mailing address shown on the application for a social security number."

So now as long as you are 43 and under all I have to do is find out where (the zip code) you were born
Well that's simple because I have your ID.

http://www.spokeo.com

Even if you don't even live in the same state you were born in a site like this will tell me every move you made your entire life if I have your name, address, and DOB:

Now I have your name your address, your date of birth, your drivers license number and the first 3 digits and the last 4 digits of your social:

your name
your address
your state and zip
123 - XX - 4567

How hard do you think it would be for a criminal who steals identities for a living to brute force hack those two middle numbers?

the only choices it could be is from 00 to 99 which is ONLY 100 digits!

Now that I am you. I am going to go shopping for that speedboat I always wanted. Bye:wave: - 5150

But seriously folks. A copy of your license isn't too much to ask for but the last 4 of your social?

FUCK NO!

This is the part where you all tell me how you feel
There are other reasons as well. What you need to remember with outfits like BlueCheck is that you're not giving your info to the vendor you're buying stuff from. You're giving your info to one company that can track all your purchases from many different vendors.

Now pretend for a moment that you're a resident of a State like PA, where there's nice new 40% tax on all vape goods effective October 1, and if you don't self-report (monthly!) your out-of-state purchases and pay the 40% tax on them, that's a god-damn FELONY.

Then consider the future... In about one year, where do you think a State like PA is going to go to get a list of people who've made such purchases to cross-check against people who've paid that absurd tax? Will the approach thousands of out-of-state vendors? Nope. They will buy the list from BlueCheck...

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Then consider the future... In about one year, where do you think a State like PA is going to go to get a list of people who've made such purchases to cross-check against people who've paid that absurd tax? Will the approach thousands of out-of-state vendors? Nope. They will buy the list from BlueCheck...
Exactly.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
fyi i believe 00 is never used as the second set of digits in your SS so thats 1 less for the hackers to try

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I've posted this repeatedly in other threads. NO WAY I'LL BUY FROM A BLUE CHECK SELLER

What's scary, is how many people think I'm crazy or paranoid.

BoostAddict

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I buy 190/150 proof grain alcohol online to make flavored 80% moonshine during the winter months:giggle: No SS # needed :drunk:
Stop feeding into the FDA Bullshit!!!:headbang:

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can buy bulk Peter Stokkeby Shag cut rolling tobacco by the kilogram and a site where I used to shop still only asks if you are of legal smoking age in your jurisdiction. Same with Pipe tobacco and cigars. They verify age via the cc transaction.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I can't fault small business people for trying to save a buck, but it will backfire if you lose half your customer base due to BlueCheck or otherwise asking for part of your SSN

Especially us older vapers who tend to have larger wallets and like bulk buying more than our younger counterparts.

What slays me is how the vendors think it's great because customers only have to do BlueCheck once.

Once is all it takes my friends

I read one blog where the founder of BlueCheck said SSNs aren't that valuable of information anymore, so he was perfectly comfortable asking for it.
WTF kind of logic is that???

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I've posted this repeatedly in other threads. NO WAY I'LL BUY FROM A BLUE CHECK SELLER
I did, just yesterday. A company I've placed a number of orders with in the past. I went to place an order for flavorings, and going to check-out, there's the BlueCheck nonsense, which I refused to do. So I e-mailed the company and explained that I wasn't willing to do that. I also included a list of my previous orders with them over the past few years. The reply was something to the effect of, "No problem, send us your order via e-mail and we'll send you an electronic invoice". I did, they did, I paid. Without creating a BlueCheck account, thank you!

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I can't fault small business people for trying to save a buck, but it will backfire if you lose half your customer base due to BlueCheck or otherwise asking for part of your SSN

Especially us older vapers who tend to have larger wallets and like bulk buying more than our younger counterparts.

What slays me is how the vendors think it's great because customers only have to do BlueCheck once.

Once is all it takes my friends

I read one blog where the founder of BlueCheck said SSNs aren't that valuable of information anymore, so he was perfectly comfortable asking for it.
WTF kind of logic is that???

Like that lifelock guy who put his SS number on TV and the sides of buses in large cities and then his identity got stolen like 25 times? :giggle:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I did, just yesterday. A company I've placed a number of orders with in the past. I went to place an order for flavorings, and going to check-out, there's the BlueCheck nonsense, which I refused to do. So I e-mailed the company and explained that I wasn't willing to do that. I also included a list of my previous orders with them over the past few years. The reply was something to the effect of, "No problem, send us your order via e-mail and we'll send you an electronic invoice". I did, they did, I paid. Without creating a BlueCheck account, thank you!

If you have already had an account with a vendor before August 8th then IMO they have no business asking you for shit.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You are not required to give any part of your SSN to buy a firearm. It may make instant background check process smoother, but it is not required.
They surely do in my hometown of Newport, Tennessee....at least the ones I purchased there so many years ago. I've no idea if they still do, but as of the early-2000s, they did. But, like you said, it could have been to make the application process that much easier.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

What's scary, is how many people think I'm crazy or paranoid.

I'm with you on this one.
There are what? like 30,000 vendors including eBay.
If you want that info then i'll tell you to eat a dick and just buy my shit from eBay.
Your loss, not mine.

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
They surely do in my hometown of Newport, Tennessee....at least the ones I purchased there so many years ago. I've no idea if they still do, but as of the mid-2000s, they did. But, like you said, it could have been to make the application process that much easier.
It's possible that your STATE might require, but the FedGov does not. Here is the federal form 4473. In the space where it asks for SSN, it quite clearly states: "Optional but will help prevent misidentification"

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
You're a Ravens fan?
I'm a Ravens Fan :bunny:

I'm from Balto. County:)
I thought we went over this before, im form dundalk, i remeber the mayflower truck
worked selling ice crea at the CFL games ta memorial stadium
live in western MD now

so yeah of course im a ravens fan lol

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Until Ebay gets in the cross hairs, 5150sick
Fastech doesn't ask for it, I been placing plenty of orders, I don't mind the wait

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
What I wanna know is... How can they check out who I am just by the last 4 digits?

They can't and all they should need is an ID
If a kid is using a fake id in the real world the person who sold to them and the owner of the id are both in the clear as it's the kid who committed fraud.
it should be no different on the Internet.

Shit, when I was a kid my Mom opened all of my fucking mail so I wouldn't have got shit unless she knew about it.

The thing is my Mom WOULD HAVE let me vape when I was 15.

How do I know? She let me smoke.

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
What I wanna know is... How can they check out who I am just by the last 4 digits?
They cannot. But what if you have a common name, and more than one person with the same name lives at the same address, one of legal age and one not, e.g: John Smith Sr. and his son, John Smith Jr. Chances are good those two people do not have the same last four...

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I thought we went over this before, im form dundalk, i remeber the mayflower truck
worked selling ice crea at the CFL games ta memorial stadium
live in western MD now

so yeah of course im a ravens fan lol
That's right, my bad.
I wonder if @MD_Boater is a Ravens fan (since that's who I got your info mixed up with) :crazy:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
They cannot. But what if you have a common name, and more than one person with the same name lives at the same address, one of legal age and one not, e.g: John Smith Sr. and his son, John Smith Jr. Chances are good those two people do not have the same last four...

I get that but if you are Jr. and you are sending a copy of dads id then who committed fraud and who shouldn't get in trouble?

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I'm just glad I ignored the advice to relax and not worry about the post 8/8 vaping world.

I stock piled my head off and am good for years to come if need be.

But I hate to see my options shut down.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Did she let you smoke cigs and the other, even more fragrant substance back then? :giggle:

She didn't LET me. But she did return my pipe when I left it in my pants pocket and put it in the dirty laundry a half dozen times.:zombie:

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I'm just glad I ignored the advice to relax and not worry about the post 8/8 vaping world.

I stock piled my head off and am good for years to come if need be.

But I hate to see my options shut down.
Yep, me too. I started stockpiling barely two weeks after I vaping replaced smoking for me back in 2013 without me actually having "quit". I promptly bought my first liter of 100 mg base because there was NO WAY I was going to let anyone take this MIRACLE away from me. I didn't have a darn clue about DIY at the time, but figured I'd learn if I had to.

The only reason I bought something this week is that one of my favorite juice vendors from a few years ago started to sell "DIY Flavor Extracts". They rolled some out in July, I got some, and I found that I enjoy them. Then they introduced some more recently that I also wanted to try. Yes, I could certainly live without them, and if they had replied, "The only way to order from us is to create a BlueCheck account" I would have told them, "It was nice knowing you..."

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I am very lucky to have found a wonderful juice vendor that I have been buying from for about a year now who knows me now from facebook and has no reason whatsoever to need me to prove my age.

I think like this:
I might as well enjoy all of these amazing premium eliquid recipes being sold now because mark my words.

in three years we will have 3 choices:

1) Tobacco flavor
2) Menthol Flavor
3) DIY

I might as well enjoy the good shit while it is still around.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I warned against this in the last thread....giving anything other then your age can lead to you getting reamed. Ifs its not redirected into a encrypted page (NOT A WINDOW) then your information is there for the taking...

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I apologize to everyone for not knowing about the other thread.

I did feel that this was important news since it is happening right now to all of us while we are trying to buy from vendors that some of us have been dealing with for YEARS.

Can you please link me to the other thread so I can edit my OP and add it there for people to check out as well?

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
1) Tobacco flavor
2) Menthol Flavor
3) DIY

Be lucky to have DIY unless already stocked, they won't want people making their own.

I will buy from B&M which way more expensive before I give out my SSN online, but I have been stocking with hardware already, so on side I am pretty much set :)

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
i dont see how any age check is useful ove rthe internet

my son is 16
he is smart enough to get my ssn
take my license form my walet
take a pic of him holding it
photoshop tit to be me holding it instead

and boom he can use my cc and order vape stuff
would take him like 10-15 minutes

most children can do it

the only way to prove age with an ACCEPTABLE level of accuracy is in person with ID
hence why I advocate to ship USPS Adult Signature restricted delivery. costs $6 more
and you have to be 21 but it makes things more accurate in my opinion using online verification you can easily sell to a minor even with bluecheck or any age verification service.

The point of the deeming regs is to not sell to minors
and to id anyone who looks under 27 in person

doesnt say how you have to do it. I think vendors using these online services are fooling themselves
in fact they are asking for kids to fake their parents info to place an order
require the package to be signed for by the buyer who must show id and be over 21 NO PROBLEM unless the ID is fake which can happen

the sale is not COMPLETE until it is received. so if the post office fucks up its on them IMHO but a laywer would need to check on that to be sure of liability in this case.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
If your kid does all that shit behind your back and receives a strange package from "Vape XXXX" without you knowing about it then you have an extreme case of bad parenting on your hands.

You might as well just let your kid vape and order that shit for him if you are that shitty of a parent:facepalm:

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
If your kid does all that shit behind your back and receives a strange package from "Vape XXXX" without you knowing about it then you have an extreme case of bad parenting on your hands.

You might as well just let your kid vape and order that shit for him if you are that shitty of a parent:facepalm:
really?????
you are going to question my parenting???????
and people wonder why this forum is going downhill when mods attack users for pointing out the obvious.

I care less how great a parent is, children can do exactly what I am saying without mom and dad ever knowing. since teh beginning of time children have been sneaking behind mom and dads back doing things they shouldnt do and getting away with it.

5150 i expected better from you, my mistake

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
really?????
you are going to question my parenting???????
and people wonder why this forum is going downhill when mods attack users for pointing out the obvious.

I care less how great a parent is, children can do exactly what I am saying without mom and dad ever knowing. since teh beginning of time children have been sneaking behind mom and dads back doing things they shouldnt do and getting away with it.

5150 i expected better from you, my mistake

@5150sick is right. It's one thing for a kid to filtch a beer out of the fridge or cadge a few smokes, it quite another to have a kid that thinks nothing of committing several felonies to buy vape gear online.

Sure, any kid can do it. But not that many have such blatant disregard for their parents and no morals or ethics or fear of the law to commit larceny and ID fraud.

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years

1) Tobacco flavor
2) Menthol Flavor
3) DIY
I'm not very confident that the FDA will approve ANY juice for open systems, even if it is tobacco or menthol flavored. DIY will of course be an option, IF you've got nic stocked.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
@5150sick is right. It's one thing for a kid to filtch a beer out of the fridge or cadge a few smokes, it quite another to have a kid that thinks nothing of committing several felonies to buy vape gear online.

Sure, any kid can do it. But not that many have such blatant disregard for their parents and no morals or ethics or fear of the law to commit larceny and ID fraud.
oh so all the kids with fake ids to get in clubs and buy alcohol, or buy cigarettes or illegal drugs like 5150sick admitted he did as a kid all have great parents, but my kids have bad parents because they are smart enough and skillful enough to get around almost any age check system online. I mean it is dirt simple to do. Its actually easier to get around bluecheck and get vape stuff delivered if you are under 18 then it is to buy a pack of smokes or a 6 pack of beer. And the kids can do it all from the comfort of mom and dads home with less risk

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
oh so all the kids with fake ids to get in clubs and buy alcohol, or buy cigarettes or illegal drugs like 5150sick admitted he did as a kid all have great parents, but my kids have bad parents because they are smart enough and skillful enough to get around almost any age check system online. I mean it is dirt simple to do. Its actually easier to get around bluecheck and get vape stuff delivered if you are under 18 then it is to buy a pack of smokes or a 6 pack of beer. And the kids can do it all from the comfort of mom and dads home with less risk

Where did he say he did any of that? I reread the entire post and saw no reference to him saying or admitting he had or used fake ID.

He said his mother went through his mail so there is no way he could have stolen a parent's identity for mail order purposes.

He did say she let him smoke and she returned a pipe to him she found in the laundry.

No mention of felonious identity theft, fake IDs

Just because a crime is easy to do does not make it right, nor is it an excuse, no matter the age of the kid.

VU Sponsors