Become a Patron!

Thoughts after several months of DIY

zeeter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
It's probably not for everyone - mixing these chemicals and flavorings together. But if you really want to save money, DIY is the way to go. A gallon of VG and PG for around $15 each. 100mg/100ml for around $9, and the flavors are cheap. Once you figure out your core recipes you only need to order those ingredients. There are about five recipes I swear by, and once in a while I'll try to mix something new.

I made three 60ml mixes last night and they cost me probably less than a dollar each. That would probably run about $100 in the stores and $80 online.

The mixing tools are fairly cheap, as well. Using clear plastic bottles costs around $10 for 30ml and maybe $1.50 each for the 60ml. Yet these can all be used again, as can the syringes - though they do wear out after a while.

The worst part is the patience involved. I am a sound believer in curing the liquids for a couple of weeks. Some say it's not necessary but I swear by it.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't think I'm saving any money. I just have a shitload more juice to show for my vaping bucks. It tastes better than alot of vendor stuff I've bought over the years too. Its also a fun hobby that inspires me to be creative.

I do believe in curing/steeping/infusing (steve);). I found out early on that some flavors change (get better) over time.

Buying a scale was a great move for me. It makes things so much easier. I just bought one from a head-shop and its been doing fine. It's still got the same batteries as when I bought it.

zeeter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I don't think I'm saving any money. I just have a shitload more juice to show for my vaping bucks. It tastes better than alot of vendor stuff I've bought over the years too. Its also a fun hobby that inspires me to be creative.

I do believe in curing/steeping/infusing (steve);). I found out early on that some flavors change (get better) over time.

Buying a scale was a great move for me. It makes things so much easier. I just bought one from a head-shop and its been doing fine. It's still got the same batteries as when I bought it.

I don't see how you could not be saving money. I mean, the initial cost is a little high, but once you have the base equipment it should be much cheaper.

If I mixed in higher volumes I might use a scale, but at the low volume I use an extra drop or two could change everything. There's more room for error mixing in larger batches.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't see how you could not be saving money. I mean, the initial cost is a little high, but once you have the base equipment it should be much cheaper.
It's just the way I see it. The money I would have spent on juice get spent easily on new flavors. I always have my eye on more that I want to try.

About the scale- I haven't mixed anything big in a while. I've been making 15-30ML bottles. You just have your flavors/nic/VG/PG ready, and squirt in the appropriate amount. Done. Way faster and nothing to clean.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
DIY is very cheap, for me. I bought bulk (4oz) flavors when I started and a couple liters of 100mg/ml nic. I have not bought any more in three years. I am starting to get low on some of the flavors I use most. Might have to buy more by the end of this year.

I'm not a juice hobbyist so I don't collect a hundred or so varieties of 10ml flavors that have to be reordered often.

I like old juice but the wait is not a problem. I mix 500ml at a time now and I don't mix very often.

zeeter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
DIY is very cheap, for me. I bought bulk (4oz) flavors when I started and a couple liters of 100mg/ml nic. I have not bought any more in three years. I am starting to get low on some of the flavors I use most. Might have to buy more by the end of this year.

I'm not a juice hobbyist so I don't collect a hundred or so varieties of 10ml flavors that have to be reordered often.

I like old juice but the wait is not a problem. I mix 500ml at a time now and I don't mix very often.

I started out as a juice hobbyist and now I have around 100 flavors, of which I use maybe 20. This is why I experiment once in a while; to get rid of my excess flavors. Basically, you can make anything with Vanilla Custard plus some other flavor.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I started out as a juice hobbyist and now I have around 100 flavors, of which I use maybe 20. This is why I experiment once in a while; to get rid of my excess flavors. Basically, you can make anything with Vanilla Custard plus some other flavor.
CAP Vanilla Whipped Cream is very useful as well.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
as an aside I just read 5 Pawns is comming out with some new juices.....I thought those guys had been discredited for lying about their ingredients a long time ago.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
as an aside I just read 5 Pawns is comming out with some new juices.....I thought those guys had been discredited for lying about their ingredients a long time ago.

I don't think most people care about a little butter flavor in their vape. The ultra safe vapers were a bit upset.

zeeter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Made a purchase last week. $70 total for a bunch of flavors, another bottle of nicotine, and some new syringes. This will last me several months. Contrast that to around $50 a week on juice and it's really difficult for me to justify buying it anymore. I did buy a bottle of my favorite juice a couple of weeks ago, but that was only so that I could try and reproduce it. Vaptasia Royalty II. Custard, some tobacco, other ingredients, and I believe I taste some almond or hazelnut in there.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years

I thought no more new juices.. hmm..

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thinking of months and DIY.
I ytried my Falvor Concentrates Strawberry I mixed up a month ago now.
It is scrumptious.
It was good at 2 weeks but much better at 1 month.

Mixing 120 ml later today.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
And that is why I make 10ml test batches

As I have said many times I make 15 ML Test batches because it is hard to wait for proper infusion without tasting so it leaves enough to age if it isn't good.

zeeter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I posted elsewhere, but may as well add it here. I fell behind on DIY and bought a couple of bottles of my favorites last night. One was Brindle. It's horrible - nothing like I remember. Think it's not steeped enough or steeped too much? I'm leaning toward the latter.

VU Sponsors