Become a Patron!

Thoughts on clones

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Oh yeah right Ray obvoiusly....anyone who doesn't agree with you is prejudice...pretty lame rationale.....Chinese manufactureres have been accused of alot of things, but quality has never been one of them.
I didnt say not agreeing with me made you prejudice...the way your typing out your statements are...
I dont see how you made that link but its cool.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My point is that morality is relative between cultures. If you don't feel right buying clones, then don't. Clearly this isn't an issue to the authorities in the US because clones are being sold and allowed to make way into the country. You definitely have a bone to pick with China and it's obvious that it's not just about vape gear.

I hope you never shop at Walmart, Target, or on Amazon because those morally devoid Chinese make just about everything sold.

Like I've said before, I see your point and I agree with a lot of what you've said. In a perfect world all this would be fixed, but instead of focusing on what SHOULD BE, I prefer to focus on what IS. I don't have that kind of energy to devote to something like that and I'm a pretty happy guy as a result. I've got nothing left to say here so I'll be on my way. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, I don't shop at any of those places....I'm sure you are happy...it's like they say.....sausages are great as long as you ignore how they're made.

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You know I have been told "I love you" by atleast 9 members the past 2 days...Kinda odd but okay

I love you too Ray! haha, I feel like we would be pretty good friends if we lived in the same town, we share similar interests and thought processes, plus you could make me bad ass coils while we chilled hahaha.

And this whole thread makes me laugh inside, and this picture seemed fitting to the topic (and Praxis is from Cali, and they certainly don't seem to mind)
t-shirts-praxis-vapors.jpg

picautomaton

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Is a clone not a compliment to the original item?
If you earn pounds or dollars the world is your oyster and you can buy lots of original cool things, but, if you earn weak currency and would love to buy something out of reach a clone makes it possible.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The truth is, most people are buying clones. Like it or not, agree or not, people buy clones because they are cheaper. We also have to remember, that a lot of "authentics" are manufactured in China.

we also need to realize, that cloners, are also coming up with new variations of "authentics" as well completely original ideas.

The market for authentics is small, in the big picture. Some people buy authentics merely to say they do. Just like some buy certain brands of anything.

Arguing and trying to shame people, isn't going to change a thing.

wheelie

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If China don't care about cloning China products why would I care? Perhaps if days were 26 or 28 hours it would give me a little time out of my busy days to worry about what others do. CHEERS!

vap3r

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
...PWM Box I almost bought...Its around 250 if I remember right
Hot glue? Definitely not the sign of a pro modder. Check out the LP series from Scotts Mods. Custom PWM chip. No hot glue. Designed and built in Los Angeles. Around the $180 mark. FYI, I am a bona-fide member of team #NoClones. Never have and never will.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Even authentics copy features of other vaping devices. The Velocity style build deck being one of those features being copied.
I do not buy clones with the copied logo on them, but aside from that no problem.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
#Clonesneedlovetoo
#Authenticsareclonesofsomesort
#whypaymoreifyoudontknowifyouwillevenlikeit?

vap3r

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Assuming the same cost, I would prefer the brand-name drug under most circumstances.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've always gotten the impression that most people who buy clones can't afford the authentic. They wouldn't buy the authentic stuff in the first place. Authentics are for the "boutique" market.

I think the makers of the fancy, expensive gear understand that. They stake their reputations on making very high-quality products for people who go in for the really nice, fancy gear. That's why they do small runs and sell high. That's just how they go about breaking even. That is the proven method for success in that particular market... ...just as with clones, it's all about high-volume, low-margin.

When you're buying a clone, you're paying for the design and features alone. When you buy the authentic, you are paying for the craftsmanship and prestige associated with the manufacturer's namesake. To some people, craftsmanship is not all that important, meaning the price-point is unjustifiable for them. And for them, there are clones.

That's the beauty of capitalism. The ones who are most able to the provide the market with what it wants succeed. It just so happens that the clone market is much bigger than the authentic one. That is to say that authentics can't compete with clones and clones can't compete with authentics. There's undeniably some overlap, but at their cores, the two cater to different needs and demands. There will always be markets for both.

I don't see what the big deal is. To me, it's neither here nor there. I don't think authentic makers are greedy and I don't consider clone makers to be outright thieves.

Dollar store knock-offs bring-in a lot of money from people who are either too stingy or literally too poor to afford the real thing and yet the more high-brow stores that sell the real deal don't seem to suffer for it. I've managed a couple of them now and I can tell you one thing for sure... ...other stores in the area that sell higher quality products at significantly higher prices kick our asses in sales, every time.

All in all, I think this situation is as beneficial to the consumer as it is both proprietors. The people going to the high-brow chains are happy to shop there knowing that they aren't buying knock-off crap sold at the other place - that's part of the allure and that's where they will go to buy important items and make their big purchases, while the people going to the dollar store will be happy to have access to the product at all... ...or perhaps they'll buy some cheap shit for novelty. All that the latter is doing is appealing to a market that the high-brow retailers aren't tapping into.

I personally like having the freedom of choice. But hey, maybe that's just me.

I often wonder what the manufacturers and sellers of authentic gear think about clones. I wonder if they're half as bitter as some vapers are. I mean, I know Evolv fucking hates biters, but what about the rest?

vap3r

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
FYI, I am a bona-fide member of team #NoClones. Never have and never will.
I did not like how that came out. Allow me to rephrase: I am currently a member of team #NoClones. However, I have no problem with clones and will purchase them if and when the need arises. Whew...I feel like an addict recovering from an authentics-only binge...

VU Sponsors