Become a Patron!

Thoughts on the Noisy Cricket

Shiminifonglay

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Noisy Cricket is a bang for your buck IMO. It's my daily vape. My current setup is NC mod and Indestructible atty running 8 loops 24/32 Clapton single coil. Previously, I was running it with dual coil 6/7 and 8 (tried a variety of Clapton builds) loops 3mm Clapton 24/32. Works like a charm. Flavor is awesome with my current setup. My only concern is the hairlines the NC body gets from daily use. Thinking of rebuffing my NC soon.

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
No doubt that single coil is fine, but one other concern you might want to consider is the resistance of your build with those dual coils. Don't mean to preach here and pardon me if you already know this, but most consider .4 ohms the bottom end for battery safety if you are using good batteries (Sony, Samsung, LG for example).

Last edited:

Shiminifonglay

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No doubt that single coil if fine, but one other concern you might want to consider is the resistance of your build with those dual coils. Don't mean to preach here and pardon me if you already know this, but most consider .4 ohms the bottom end for battery safety if you are using good batteries (Sony, Samsung, LG for example).

Yea, my NC gets really hot when I use it specially on doing chain vapes. I'll be doing higher resistance soon once I get my wires (Clapton, Fused and Kanthal) and I'll be playing with them again. The resistance I had for the past 3 months was only 0.18 running dual Clapton 24/32 6 loops 3mm. I'm using a pair of LGHG2 btw. Now I'm running with 0.4 resistance single coil of Clapton.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Isn't that a 24mm RDA? It'll look pretty goofy on the NC I think.
24mm RDA's dont look that bad on a NC, I use a Lucifer most of the time anyway..
Im not one to complain about a tiny bit of overhang though...the benefits outweigh the negatives with the Rafale X.

24mm on NC:
20160317_231211.jpg 20160317_231202.jpg

40mm on NC:
20160326_205411.jpg 20160326_205411.jpg

40mm on Lucifer:
20160423_190329.jpg 20160423_190340.jpg

Attachments

• 20160423_190329.jpg
    20160423_190329.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20160326_205355.jpg
    20160326_205355.jpg
    752.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 20160423_190340.jpg
    20160423_190340.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Uwell Rafale X doesn't look too bobble-headed on the Cricket with this heat sink.DSC_0001.png

Sure makes getting a usable resistance easy. Got some big aliens in it that I got from Crazy Chef, 1.5 ohm. Will produce the biggest boiling cumulus nimbus clouds I've ever blown. It has a couple issues for me; no 510 drip tip adapter so you have to use the provided metal one with the anti spit back thing (solution in search of a problem), the neutral post is loose and wiggly - tried tightening it but either the screw is too long or the insulator is too small (fix that later), and the airflow direct to the coils is either too wide open or too restricted. You can adjust it to where there is some air coming in from the post area, but that tends to mute flavor on the "flavor setting". As to flavor, it's no Petri, but it's pretty good. I'd say it's a must have for NC users.

Chris'sClouds

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Noisy Cricket is one of the nicest mech mods for sure. The idea alone of running a series circuit instead of a parallel was genius. Having 8.4v blasts with duel coiled 24awg wire @.6ohms is amaing. Size is unbeatable. Having to re-drip every few hits gets old though.

renzyb

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Noisy Cricket is one of the nicest mech mods for sure. The idea alone of running a series circuit instead of a parallel was genius. Having 8.4v blasts with duel coiled 24awg wire @.6ohms is amaing. Size is unbeatable. Having to re-drip every few hits gets old though.
87905e65b95e73efcdbe0f29a09e100a.jpg
problem solved

Gheed

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
image.jpg
This gets loads of use.

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
This has been noted before, but worth repeating; Attys - Make sure the center pin of the 510 connection protrudes beyond the threads that attach it to the mod to avoid shorting and possible battery venting.

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Absolutely. Safety First!

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This has been noted before, but worth repeating; Attys - Make sure the center pin of the 510 connection protrudes beyond the threads that attach it to the mod to avoid shorting and possible battery venting.
Okay, so I'm not the only one to get freaked out by seeing tanks on a hybrid connection.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
:sad::sad::cry::cry: My Avocado broke! the positive post stripped, I can't use it anymore, and I just perfected a build for it! :cry::tantrum::cry::tantrum:

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Jeez dude, remind me not to get into a thumb fight with you...:D
You certainly don't want to do that, I have hitchhiker thumbs, it's literally impossible to beat me, my thumb is pointing up even when it's pinned! (sorry I've had too much fun with this playing thumb war with people)

Gheed

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just had that happen to my two post Centurion. putting a new build in but no, stripped out the threads.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just had that happen to my two post Centurion. putting a new build in but no, stripped out the threads.
Where is the dislike button!?! It's heartbreaking! I loved my Avocado on the NC, but then again I don't know if I'd buy it again for the setup with so many good options out there.

Chris'sClouds

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
87905e65b95e73efcdbe0f29a09e100a.jpg
problem solved
I like the RBTA. Tank is almost the size of the mod haha. My ideal set up would be a noisy cricket with an RDA, and for when I don't feel like dripping, I would use a DNA RX200 by Wismec with a Smok TFV4 (RBTA). I have never tried an Arctic tank but ill look out for one next time i'm at the vape shop or with friends. Nice set up!

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Now I'm confused. As some of you know my le80 busted. Looking for another mod and now back at this. This for $20 or a hexohm for much more.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks, I did look at those. Unsure but read good reviews. Don't want to hijack the NC thread. Don't think I want series so NC is out. Tube mechs for me. Thanks for the link.
I never thought I'd like a series mod, but once you learn to build for one the vape you get off of it really is different. To try it out for $20 is pretty freaking cool. That being said, if you're not interested, that's cool too. Cheers!

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A quick note on the Hexohm clone ... we got some for our shop. One had the mosfet blow up. Another required some soldering . And gluing the plastic plate inside back on. So no ... they work but are not great mods. They are much like the LE80s in quality. You can get lucky with a good one but ... I found the Hannya series mod was better and its authentic and its cheaper. Now none compare to my Lucifer or Underground. The Cricket is now my ADV. Generally you get what you pay for. The Cricket is an exception. A damn good mod for the price. Very little to go wrong other than the threads being a little wonky.

Get the Underground if you can afford it before they sell out like the lucifer. I think I might even prefer it. I will not take mine out of the house though. I keep my best mods - other than the cricket 'cause they are cheap and available - in the house. But the Underground is very pocket friendly.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A quick note on the Hexohm clone ... we got some for our shop. One had the mosfet blow up. Another required some soldering . And gluing the plastic plate inside back on. So no ... they work but are not great mods. They are much like the LE80s in quality. You can get lucky with a good one but ... I found the Hannya series mod was better and its authentic and its cheaper. Now none compare to my Lucifer or Underground. The Cricket is now my ADV. Generally you get what you pay for. The Cricket is an exception. A damn good mod for the price. Very little to go wrong other than the threads being a little wonky.

Get the Underground if you can afford it before they sell out like the lucifer. I think I might even prefer it. I will not take mine out of the house though. I keep my best mods - other than the cricket 'cause they are cheap and available - in the house. But the Underground is very pocket friendly.
I'd really like to get another series box. The Hannya looks like a good candidate for my budget, but it's hard as hell to find. Any suggestions on where they'd have it in stock for a decent price?

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well mine comes from Eastern Bloc in Toronto. But I'm sure there are some online. Just be careful you get the series one. There are parallel ones that look identical.

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hvent really been using my NC too much lately. Dunno why, it just kinda fell outta rotation. Waiting on a Hammer of God clone to show up though, so hopefully thatll kick me back into series mode lol

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Would be interested to hear your impression of, and where you got, that clone when you get it. Have almost bought one a couple times, but was talked out of it. The Cricket falls out of my rotation occasionally, but rarely for more than a day or two.

SuperflyTNT

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Love love mine... Was hesitant at 1st being my 1st series mod. Only time it falls out of rotation is when I'm to lazy to rewick or rebuild it. I work 70-75hrs a week and lots of times I really don't feel like wrapping coils. The only Con I have is that it dents very easy, since I tend to partake in tasty beverages often my NC likes to jump off tables.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The NC is a nice, portable little powerhouse. It was my first venture into an unregulated series set up. Like it so much that I order a series box from Hooligan Mods to keep at home!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sleey0

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Where is the dislike button!?! It's heartbreaking! I loved my Avocado on the NC, but then again I don't know if I'd buy it again for the setup with so many good options out there.

Kidneypuncher has all replacement parts for the Avacodo and pretty much all geekvape products

Edit - this reply is for the other ppl needing some good news:)

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Kidneypuncher has all replacement parts for the Avacodo and pretty much all geekvape products

Edit - this reply is for the other ppl needing some good news:)
Naw, the one thing they don't have is the thing I need. It's the positive post, not pin, post. The bottom posthole threading went bad. Already contacted Geekvape to see if I could purchase just that part, they said they're waiting for parts right now but when they get in they'll just send me one, so that's cool. He tried to sell me on the pin as well though :rolleyes: They label it strangely as well, apparently they call the securing nut for the pin a "post" which is just dumb.

arth1981

Member For 4 Years
So glad I found this thread. I've ordered 2 noisy crickets for the coming vapocalypse and the info posted here has been really useful.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Aromamizer with dual 28g 1.00 ohm build has been great on the cricket
f256e15a2d746cb111fc2eeb3267678a.jpg

sent from my droid turbo 2

arth1981

Member For 4 Years
Upgrade kit?

Yeah, replaces the hybrid connector and the button. Supposed to make it safer, I dunno. I just got it to play with. I never really felt unsafe since I know my build, I know my batteries, and I know which of my attys have suitable pins... One upside is it should keep juice off the battery. Maybe my tm2 has a leak or something but every time I opened the cricket to change the batts today there was a little juice on the battery top cap. Not the hybrid connector, but the battery itself.

renzyb

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, replaces the hybrid connector and the button. Supposed to make it safer, I dunno. I just got it to play with. I never really felt unsafe since I know my build, I know my batteries, and I know which of my attys have suitable pins... One upside is it should keep juice off the battery. Maybe my tm2 has a leak or something but every time I opened the cricket to change the batts today there was a little juice on the battery top cap. Not the hybrid connector, but the battery itself.
Just found the site and it looks pretty slick. I'll have to get me one when I have the funds.

arth1981

Member For 4 Years
Just found the site and it looks pretty slick. I'll have to get me one when I have the funds.

Yeah it's not bad and it really doesn't take away from the simplicity of the mod. If it's impacting the performance negatively in any way I sure as hell cant tell.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey coil pros, would a twisted 28g 316L build work well with the NC??? I know claptons are recommended to disperse heat and whatnot, but I'm just looking for something a bit different that doesn't require so much space

arth1981

Member For 4 Years
Hey coil pros, would a twisted 28g 316L build work well with the NC??? I know claptons are recommended to disperse heat and whatnot, but I'm just looking for something a bit different that doesn't require so much space

As long as you can build it to a safe resistance I don't see why not. SS has lower resistance inherently so I imagine your coils will still be pretty big.

VU Sponsors