Become a Patron!

Throat Hit too Strong!!!

Hello All,

Total newb but lets start with the basics. A buddy of mine bought me a vape. Ecto 1100 Passthrough. Now mind you, I know nothing of this vaping stuff but basically he quit analogs about 2 months ago using this thing. Sooooooo... Im gonna give it a go tomorrow and try to get off analogs with this. Now along with this he got me some 18mg juice. Im prepping it up so when I wake up in the morning, I go for this and not a cig. I took a tester hit and HOLY Shhhhh! I couldnt friggin breath. Coughed up a lung. Lol. Now after reading a bit, I see there are many factors involved. I am a 1 1/2 pack smoker a day of Newport Box. The mg's seem appropriate for my nicotine intake. Why the hell is it so strong? I neeed some advice here and would love to quit stinkies but I want a smoke appropriate to the feeling of having a cigarette. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi Bozzburg and welcome to V/U. When you first make the change it's something new to your lungs and they are full of muck from the stinkies . After a short while your lungs will adjust, and thank you, to the vape. In the mean tine I would suggest you might go lower nic. Two big factors of TH are PG% [higher the % the more TH ] and Nic level although some people also get reactions from certain flavoring components. Good luck on your quit and I hope this info helps you! Others will chime in with more info.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Vaping does take a minue to get used to. I coughed up a lung the first time I tried one, too. It's a different kind of draw from a cig, so don't hit it too hard at first.

Jimi gave you lots of good information. Take your time and read through some threads and you'll see many people have experienced the same. There's ab bit of a learning curve with vaping, but it's very worth it.

Welcome to VU :)

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Your buddy done you a favor. I'll add onto it.

The others gave good advise. But there are many (myself included) that simply can't use a setup like that. Without having issues.

Your Nic dose is probably right. But as stated by someone else. You're training your body to a new delivery method. So naturally you're going to cough. This generally ends within a couple of days. Unless you're like me, I continued to dual use for awhile. Which prolonged the transition.

Also, I can't use a passthru/cigalike or vape mouth to lung. All of the above makes me cough a lung. So you might find a friend with a good mod. And see if they're willing to let you swap spit. ;)

A good mod made all the difference in the world for me. I went from zero to hero mode in one day. And haven't looked back. Good luck :)

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
As mentioned already it takes some getting used to, and it is different than smoking.

I was a 1.5-2 pack Humpback Turkish Gold smoker. I quit the same day as I utilized my first equipment a ProVari 2.5 with a Kanger Protank 2 and 12 mg 60PG/40VG juice. It really matters, what equipment you use (doesn't have to be a ProVari though), in order to get the nicotine you crave, with sort of the same feel of a cigarette.

eruptedvapor

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Congratulations on taking steps to getting rid of cigarettes.

There are a couple of things to think about.

VG/PG (VG Bigger clouds, sweeter juice) (PG Throat hit, less sweet juice) Play with the balance between the two. When I convert people over, I like them being near a 50/50. Conventional logic used to be that a higher PG was better, but I disagree. I think that the biggest part is warmth of hit. By this I mean that you need to find the right mix of juice, then find the right ohm coil with the right airflow device to create a perfect storm to fake your brain into thinking that you are having a cigarette. In my shop, I have people test in front of me, so I can alter things to get it so they aren't choking to death. As soon as I hit the sweet spot their faces light up like it was Christmas. Gives them perfect craving fulfillment and they can finally taste something other then their own coughed up lungs.

Also - be careful about that 18mg nic strength. I stress that it varies by person. Some need 6 mg, some need 24 mg. If you feel lightheaded after a few hits, it's probably too strong for you. If not, then you are probably okay with that strength.

Justin with Erupted Vapor

georgemeadal

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dual using vape and cigs will definitely do that to ya. Take shallow puffs on your vape and try to avoid cigs altogether and before you know it you will be lung hitting ! Good Luck and Vape On !

VU Sponsors