Become a Patron!

Time to dive into mech mods methinks

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hola sounding board. I believe it's time to dive in to the deep end and I could use some direction. Many thanks in advance.

For reference (and to prove I've done my homework) I have a small collection of LG HB6's and (supposedly legit) Sony VTC4's specifically for this purpose, build my own coils (typically between .3-.8 ohm depending on the atomizer), use an ohm reader religiously and have beaten battery safety and ohms law in my head so hard every night for the past month I'm worn thin (18650 battery venting videos will do that to a man). I am very familiar with steam-engine.org and have about four pages of cheat sheets written out to stay well within the advertised limits of said batteries I intend to use in the mod I intend to purchase.

That said, I feel have a solid enough grasp on the whole deal to take on a mech mod. The question is, which? And the problem is that I can't handle any of them, so I come to you for guidance.

First things first, I do not want a hybrid. In fact, I'm looking for something that's easy to adjust and/or widely adjustable so I can accommodate my current collection of RDAs. Whether they sit flush doesn't matter to me. I prefer function over form on almost all fronts.

I do know that I want a tube mech, something with a firing button that won't stick easily, something with a solid locking mechanism and venting holes, and one that house a single 18650 specifically. Since this will be my first I'm not sure if I prefer copper, stainless, gold, etc, even though I do understand that some provide less voltage drop.

So far the Ragnarok is at the top of my list. It is relatively affordable and seems to be what I'm after. I'd like to stay in the $100-$120 range, but wouldn't mind going up to $200 if it's absolutely worth it.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. If there's anything I've missed feel free to say so.

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just started using the Dot Mod Petri V2 lite along with the Petri V2 RDA. I just love the crap out of this thing. No locking for the fire button though. I get great clouds and flavor with it and it's TINY for a mech mod. Type it in on the internet and check out the reviews for it. I don't think you will find anything but good reviews for it ! Just my opinion I'm sure there will be many others coming your way. Good luck in looking for what you want !

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Petri is definitely at the top of my must have list. It seems like an end all though, and I assumed starting slow was my best bet.

Then again, damn on damn that Petri is a pretty little thing ain't she? Real talk- is she worth it? I mean, the reviews say so, but concerning a few of the regulated mods and various RDAs I've sampled they also say plenty my personal opinions haven't synced with. Subjectivity is a blessing and a curse all coiled up in one, eh?

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was shocked myself when I first saw it. I never expected it to be so small. My son had a Ragenrock and it was pretty big compared to the Petri. The RDA is really easy to build on and the knurled screws that can be tightened by hand are awesome. It's beautiful to look at and extremely well built. The matching colors of the RDA and the mod are a bonus. The 24K gold plated drip tip I left alone lol. Just wanted to save it. I like it so much that my poor RX200 2/3 is just sitting for now lol.

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Damn. My 2/3 is about my favorite regulated to date. Well done good sir. My attention has been caught.

Now time to sit back and hope for some opposing arguments, hopefully at a lesser cost than...what...$300 for the whole shebang?

Not implying anything by my last statement, by the way.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sounds like you have done your homework, excellent and welcome to the Rabbit Hole! I love mechs, for me they provide the best and smoothest vape. Also the point when you find that perfect build for your setup is nothing less than pure Nirvana!

Remember VTC4's are 23a not 30a. I myself like VTC5a's, 25a and 2600 MaH, combination of 25a with long battery life.

Anyway look and find an Oros V2, my favorite tube mod. I actually prefer parallel Mod's though, more amps and longer battery life. Kidney Puncher has an excellent Dragon Clone for $24,have 2 that I use a lot. My favorite parallel Mod's in order are

1. Nookie V3
2. Margarita
3. Anubis

Anyway with that said here is my lecture I give to anyone getting into Mech's -

1.Ohm's law, http://www.steam-engine.org/ makes it easy and there's even an app on it for Android

2.Batteries, fucking batteries, take good care of your batteries and know them!!!!!!!

a.Avoid shit batteries like eFest who rewrap rejects with grossly inflated amp ratings. Stick with authentic LG, Sony or Samsung from reputable (not eBay or Amazon) sources, great places that I get authentics from are -

http://liionwholesale.com/

https://www.imrbatteries.com/

b.Stick well within Continuous Discharge Rate (CDR) Not the "pulse"

c.Keep up to date with what Mooch tests and battery ratings, follow his posts on Facebook and his Blog and only use his recommend batteries.

d.In Mod's with multiple batteries, marry them.

e.Get some battery wraps, they're cheap and easy to re-wrap batteries. Any nicks,tears or what ever don't be stupid and just re-wrap.

3.Don't build stupid low a good builder can chuck and get awesome dense vape from a good build. It's simple, with 20 CDR Amp batteries -

a.Single battery mod's you're fine with .2 ohms on up

b.Dual Parallel you're fine with .15 on up. Parallel you take the full CDR of one battery then add 1/2 the CDR of the next battery

c.Series you double the voltage but you share the amps . So a series you build high with a lot of wire mass no lower that .4 ohms.

4.Make sure you don't have any shorts. For an extra caution any new build I will vape on a regulated mod for a few drips or with a tank about a 1/4 tank. This is to insure nothing wonky with my build like shorts.

5.Careful if it's not in your hand, if it doesn't have a lock on the button and you pit it in your pocket (which I really don't recommend) insure nothing else is in your pocket and it's loose. Don't want to put it in your front pocket and blow your dick off ya know ;)

6.Last but certainly NOT the least, keep it clean! Clean it when you first get it "before" you even use it and clean it on a regular basis.

a.Ultrasonics are a very good investment, got mine off Amazon for around $25.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Damn. My 2/3 is about my favorite regulated to date. Well done good sir. My attention has been caught.

Now time to sit back and hope for some opposing arguments, hopefully at a lesser cost than...what...$300 for the whole shebang?

Not implying anything by my last statement, by the way.
Not at all. Like $119 for the mod and like $89 for the matching RDA catch a sale or research the web and you can probably do like $175 for everything. I was glad I did it. I'm also not a fan of clones although in some cases a clone can be better than the original. For me on this I want only the original. Really nice presentation and packaging. Made in the US. Includes 24 Karat gold plated drip tip with the mod. RDA deck is all gold plated and Peek insulated. My best advice is go with your heart and do what makes YOU HAPPY. That's what it's all about !

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good advice you're getting. Personally, I say avoid lock rings. Just stick with recessed buttons. An empty pocket has never pushed the recessed button on mine.
Yep I agree. I have found though the lock ring on the Oros V2 is excellent. But the lock rings on any other tube just plain sucks.

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks a ton guys.

@r055co, I was proud of myself reading through your list. The only thing I was unfamiliar with was the Ultrasonic cleaner. Could you elaborate on that for me? Does it just make life easier or is there a distinct advantage to owning one?

@Breazy, that makes me happy. For some reason I had it in my head that the mod alone was $175+.

So now I have the Ragnarok, the Petri and the Oros v2 in the running (although I can't find a single Oros to save my life thus far). Chances are I'll own all of them eventually. The sooner I accept that fact the better.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks a ton guys.

@r055co, I was proud of myself reading through your list. The only thing I was unfamiliar with was the Ultrasonic cleaner. Could you elaborate on that for me? Does it just make life easier or is there a distinct advantage to owning one?

@Breazy, that makes me happy. For some reason I had it in my head that the mod alone was $175+.

So now I have the Ragnarok, the Petri and the Oros v2 in the running (although I can't find a single Oros to save my life thus far). Chances are I'll own all of them eventually. The sooner I accept that fact the better.
Makes life much easier and does a thorough job, I use a non toxic jewelry cleaner in it.

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeesh... Just read that the Petri is a hybrid... Trying to avoid them for now. Disappointing.

And onward...

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeesh... Just read that the Petri is a hybrid... Trying to avoid them for now. Disappointing.

And onward...
Heard good things about the VC X1, it comes with a 510 deck and a hybrid.

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Now that's a game changer.

So when I decide to delve into the stark madness that is hybrids all I'd have to do is switch out a top cap and make sure I have a protruding 510 pin? Man. I think that's my girl right there.

Gonna sit on this for a couple of days. But that one...I think that's what I'm looking for.

Thanks dude. You've been beyond helpful.

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

And onward...
What's Hybrid about it? It's a mech mod and an RDA. No different than any other I've seen except for the size. Put together and machined better than most stuff I've seen out there.

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hmm. Alright, full transparency, I'm no expert so my terminology might be lacking.

If I understand correctly, a hybrid is a mod with a direct connection from battery to atomizer. Protruding pin is a mortal necessity.

A mech that is not hybrid provides a cap to screw your atomizer into proceeding the battery in connection. In theory this will result in a modest to marginal voltage drop, but is (without using the word too strictly) slightly safer, and also provides for a wider range of compatibility.

Am I incorrect in this? If I am, please tell me so. I take no offense.

For what it's worth, I used vapecrawler to find the mod and the site I clicked on advertised it as a hybrid. I'll do my best to find it again.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmm. Alright, full transparency, I'm no expert so my terminology might be lacking.

If I understand correctly, a hybrid is a mod with a direct connection from battery to atomizer. Protruding pin is a mortal necessity.

A mech that is not hybrid provides a cap to screw your atomizer into proceeding the battery in connection. In theory this will result in a modest to marginal voltage drop, but is (without using the word too strictly) slightly safer, and also provides for a wider range of compatibility.

Am I incorrect in this? If I am, please tell me so. I take no offense.

For what it's worth, I used vapecrawler to find the mod and the site I clicked on advertised it as a hybrid. I'll do my best to find it again.
You are correct. I only have a couple hybrid connection mods. I personally don't like being limited to the devices I can use. As for the debate of less voltage drop... I've put an in line meter and it's negligible at best. I also don't like the amount of heat that transfers to the battery with hybrid connections.

Anyway good luck and when you have any questions just ask.

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank ya kindly good sir. You're certainly helping my confidence level.

I was unsure about mech mods and I'm still cautious, but knowing myself I know that I'll end up there eventually.

Hybrids, on the other hand, seem to be far to extreme for my tastes. I'm no competitive vaper not do I consider myself a "chaser" in either fashion. I just like to play to my RDAs, build accordingly and have a solid, balanced vape throughout the day. I also adore the tinkering/creativity aspect of the whole deal, hence my infatuation with the unregulated.

My apologies, Breazy, if anything I said led to any angst. Was not my intention.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank ya kindly good sir. You're certainly helping my confidence level.

I was unsure about mech mods and I'm still cautious, but knowing myself I know that I'll end up there eventually.

Hybrids, on the other hand, seem to be far to extreme for my tastes. I'm no competitive vaper not do I consider myself a "chaser" in either fashion. I just like to play to my RDAs, build accordingly and have a solid, balanced vape throughout the day. I also adore the tinkering/creativity aspect of the whole deal, hence my infatuation with the unregulated.

My apologies, Breazy, if anything I said led to any angst. Was not my intention.
Not a problem, bottom line is this. Do your research, ask questions then decide and try what is best for you. If someone gets butt hurt, that's their problem ;)

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And yes, it's so much fun and satisfying. Simple concept you have remember with Mech's. That is with regulated Mod's your safety depends on a Chip. With Mech's YOU are responsible for your own safety. Personally I much rather be in control of my own safety rather than depending on a chip.

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
See, I agree with that 100%. Honestly, I don't feel safe with anyone elses coil build in my atomizer anymore. I'm to the point now where I'm going to start DIY-ing my own juice because I simply don't know what other makers are using in theirs. Even chips worry me. I tend to trust in them, and that bugs me. I shouldn't be.

And rant over.

Back on topic- Probably buying the X1 tonight. Any leads on a decent source to purchase from? I'd rather throw my money at a solid dealer than get out cheap, if that means anything to ya.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
See, I agree with that 100%. Honestly, I don't feel safe with anyone elses coil build in my atomizer anymore. I'm to the point now where I'm going to start DIY-ing my own juice because I simply don't know what other makers are using in theirs. Even chips worry me. I tend to trust in them, and that bugs me. I shouldn't be.

And rant over.

Back on topic- Probably buying the X1 tonight. Any leads on a decent source to purchase from? I'd rather throw my money at a solid dealer than get out cheap, if that means anything to ya.
Kidney Puncher has them, excellent vendor. Plus their wire is the best you can get.

http://www.kidneypuncher.com/x1-mod-by-vaperz-cloud/

Gheed

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
VCM2 (also by Vaperz Cloud) come with a hybrid and 510. I have both and I love em.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VCM2 (also by Vaperz Cloud) come with a hybrid and 510. I have both and I love em.
What's the +'s and -'s between the two? I've been thinking about getting one for a while. I love my Oros but been thinking of the X1 for my 24&25mm devices

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I see what your talking about now with the Hybrid connection. I will say my son had the Ragenrock you mentioned early on and it was a pain in the ass. Dialing up the little copper screw connections to contact the battery correctly and they never seemed to stay put ! What I really like about the Petri is that I didn't have to do anything. It seemed to come pretty much pre set for an 18650 battery. Connection is solid as can be. The Petri RDA does have an adjustable screw on the bottom but in it's tightest position (where it don't move) it was perfect. Put a battery in the bottom, screw on the cap and ready to go ! Probably one of the simplest mech mods I've encountered. The dual post RDA setup had plenty of room to build and the knurled screws made it even simpler. I still say don't listen to me. I'm just giving my opinion based on actual use. Keep on doing your research and get what suits your specific needs.

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Say man, no harm no foul. I'm still temped by that Petri. Boy she's a sexy little thing. And that RDA...mmmm.. If anything I'm gonna get that RDA regardless...but then I'd have to buy the mod to match. Oh darn. Just not ready for a hybrid yet. In time.

Thanks for the heads up on the Ragnarok. I'll take it in stride.

Just ordered myself an X1 with a few hundred feet of kanthal. Many thanks to everyone who contributed. I'm giddy.

Shorevaper

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Man you have to look at the broadside tube mod by bj boxmods its the safest tube mod built has a adjustable 510 and full delron sleeve so your safe if your battery wrap is nicked. Watch YouTube review on it its the hardest hitting safest tube mech made and at 130 bucks made in the USA.

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank ya kindly Shore. I'll look into that one. I'm sure I'll end up with more than a few of these.

Gheed

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What's the +'s and -'s between the two? I've been thinking about getting one for a while. I love my Oros but been thinking of the X1 for my 24&25mm devices

The VCM2 has a button similar to the Roundhouse as it screws into the tube. They also have interchangeable sleeves. Both are great tubes.

fartbubble

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Doesn't hurt that the VCM looks better than the X1. Sleeker package, especially the gold sleeve one

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So...

After much ado and quadruple-checking everything again, I stuck a freshly charged VTC4 in my X1, threw my Twisted Messes RDA on top, clicked the firing button and lo and behold...it vapes.

I feel accomplished getting over that hill that terrified me for so long, and I wanted to thank all of you. And not just those who've contributed to this thread, but to the whole community. Without all of the knowledge you've shared I would probably still be scared of this whole deal.

Oh yea, almost forgot. Build is a 28 gauge dual parallel reading at .4 ohms. I intend to go down to .3 soon enough, but for now I wanted to play it safe...ish. Heh.

And back to it. Many thanks again VU.

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So...

After much ado and quadruple-checking everything again, I stuck a freshly charged VTC4 in my X1, threw my Twisted Messes RDA on top, clicked the firing button and lo and behold...it vapes.

I feel accomplished getting over that hill that terrified me for so long, and I wanted to thank all of you. And not just those who've contributed to this thread, but to the whole community. Without all of the knowledge you've shared I would probably still be scared of this whole deal.

Oh yea, almost forgot. Build is a 28 gauge dual parallel reading at .4 ohms. I intend to go down to .3 soon enough, but for now I wanted to play it safe...ish. Heh.

And back to it. Many thanks again VU.
Enjoy !

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oh I am, trust me. The simplicity of it all alone makes me happy.

This morning I even figured out how well a higher ohm build can vape, with the right amount of surface area of course.

Gregjl

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Say man, no harm no foul. I'm still temped by that Petri. Boy she's a sexy little thing. And that RDA...mmmm.. If anything I'm gonna get that RDA regardless...but then I'd have to buy the mod to match. Oh darn. Just not ready for a hybrid yet. In time.

Thanks for the heads up on the Ragnarok. I'll take it in stride.

Just ordered myself an X1 with a few hundred feet of kanthal. Many thanks to everyone who contributed. I'm giddy.
Did somebody at some point say get an ohm meter?

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have two. Bought a decent one from my local B&M with my first spool of wire, ordered a nicer one through GeekVape right after.

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@r055co , would you mind providing a link to the Ultrasonic cleaner and non-toxic jewelry cleaner you use? After cleaning this thing a couple times I understand the appeal.

Morry27

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have absolutely no regrets going down the mech mod route, there is something extremely satisfying about getting your build spot on, I'm relatively new to them but with common sense and a little research there is no need for them to be unsafe as the scaremongers would tell you, I asked for battery advice on VU and went with the LB6s to pair with my Sub Ohm Innovations Comp Mod, not the cheapest but well worth the money.The matching 24mm RDA is just brilliant with loads of deck space and as mentioned above you don't need to go super low to get a good vape.
I still have my regulated RX 200 which is great as I can get 2 days out a full charge with the triple 18650s, but most of the time it's the mech I reach for.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@r055co , would you mind providing a link to the Ultrasonic cleaner and non-toxic jewelry cleaner you use? After cleaning this thing a couple times I understand the appeal.

These are off Amazon, the forum here won't post Amazon links, but this is what they are and just do a search on Amazon or elsewhere for them

Here's the first one I got, had it for about a year. Make sure you use "hot water" when cleaning.

Generic Sonic Wave CD-2800 Ultrasonic Jewelry and Eyeglass Cleaner, White/Gray

That one worked alright, I then upgraded to this one which works really, really well. The built in heater makes a big difference, but it's more money. I use the Ultrasonic for all my mechs, Tanks, RDA's and even when I pulse/clean or even wrap new coils I run them through also.

KENDAL 170 WATT 2 LITER (0.53 Gallon) DIGITAL ULTRASONIC CLEANER with HEATER

This is the cleaner I use, it's non toxic and does a great job. I make sure I run under hot water for a real good rinse when I take it out of the ultrasonic.

6 Pack - (8oz) BLITZ Concentrated Jewelry Cleaning Solution

Now for general maintenance of my Copper, Brass and even Aluminium this is what I use. It works really, really well, just a dab will do ya.

Wright’s Copper Cream - For Cleaning and Polishing Pots, Sinks, Mugs, Hardware, Pans and More - 8 fl.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The Petri is definitely at the top of my must have list. It seems like an end all though, and I assumed starting slow was my best bet.

Then again, damn on damn that Petri is a pretty little thing ain't she? Real talk- is she worth it? I mean, the reviews say so, but concerning a few of the regulated mods and various RDAs I've sampled they also say plenty my personal opinions haven't synced with. Subjectivity is a blessing and a curse all coiled up in one, eh?

Ive been looking at this ( the Petri Mod ) for a while myself. But to clarify, It comes in only 18650 size? It comes in matte black so its calling me..

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yes, the Petri Lite mod only comes in 18650.

As far as hybrid safety is concerned, as long as your posi pin is protruding from the 510 connection of your atty, then you're safe. Trust me - when I first started getting into mechs, I was scared sh!tless of what kind of damage a hybrid could do. Now, I use them on a daily basis. As long as you have the protruding posi on the 510 connector, you're just fine. The whole point of a hybrid connection is to reduce the voltage drop created by having a standard 510 pin in the topcap. Use your head, and you'll be fine. You get a lot more bang for your buck from a hybrid topcap.

On the occasion that you may want to use a non-protruding atty on a hybrid mech, for whatever reason, you can always convert it to a non-hybrid mech using a Vulcan heat sink. Plus, they kinda look neat... :D

Last edited:

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

As far as hybrid safety is concerned, as long as your posi pin is protruding from the 510 connection of your atty, then you're safe. Trust me - when I first started getting into mechs, I was scared sh!tless of what kind of damage a hybrid could do. Now, I use them on a daily basis. As long as you have the protruding posi on the 510 connector, you're just fine. The whole point of a hybrid connection is to reduce the voltage drop created by having a standard 510 pin in the topcap. Use your head, and you'll be fine. You get a lot more bang for your buck from a hybrid topcap.

On the occasion that you may want to use a non-protruding atty on a hybrid mech, for whatever reason, you can always convert it to a non-hybrid mech using a Vulcan heat sink. Plus, they kinda look neat... :D
Yep I do have a few hybrid's but I don't prefer them for two reasons
1. Don't like being limited to only a few atty's I can use
2. Heat generated transferred directly to battery

I do use the heat sinks at times and the Voltage drop...... I've tested with an inline tester and the voltage drop between a 510 pin and hybrid really is minimal at best, negligible at worst. So the limitations of a hybrid I avoid them, but I'm not "scared" to use them either.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh, I know you're cool with them r055co. That post was meant for the OP.
Yeah I know that, but another thing anyone looking into hybrid connection style is this. Some think they can just unscrew the 510 pin, that is dangerous for unless it's reverse threaded in can very well screw back into the deck when tightening the battery and then .... hard short.

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have absolutely no regrets going down the mech mod route, there is something extremely satisfying about getting your build spot on, I'm relatively new to them but with common sense and a little research there is no need for them to be unsafe as the scaremongers would tell you, I asked for battery advice on VU and went with the LB6s to pair with my Sub Ohm Innovations Comp Mod, not the cheapest but well worth the money.The matching 24mm RDA is just brilliant with loads of deck space and as mentioned above you don't need to go super low to get a good vape.
I still have my regulated RX 200 which is great as I can get 2 days out a full charge with the triple 18650s, but most of the time it's the mech I reach for.

I'm a mech convert now too. My 2/3 stopped reading my atomizers the day my X1 came in and I took it as a sign. The only reason I use my regulated mods now is to make sure my new builds don't get wonky when I first install them. After a few hits its all mech. Except for at work, of course. Chef life is way too busy to be fuckin' with mechs.

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
These are off Amazon, the forum here won't post Amazon links, but this is what they are and just do a search on Amazon or elsewhere for them

Here's the first one I got, had it for about a year. Make sure you use "hot water" when cleaning.

Generic Sonic Wave CD-2800 Ultrasonic Jewelry and Eyeglass Cleaner, White/Gray

Thank ya kindly good sir. Off to spend more money.

That one worked alright, I then upgraded to this one which works really, really well. The built in heater makes a big difference, but it's more money. I use the Ultrasonic for all my mechs, Tanks, RDA's and even when I pulse/clean or even wrap new coils I run them through also.

KENDAL 170 WATT 2 LITER (0.53 Gallon) DIGITAL ULTRASONIC CLEANER with HEATER

This is the cleaner I use, it's non toxic and does a great job. I make sure I run under hot water for a real good rinse when I take it out of the ultrasonic.

6 Pack - (8oz) BLITZ Concentrated Jewelry Cleaning Solution

Now for general maintenance of my Copper, Brass and even Aluminium this is what I use. It works really, really well, just a dab will do ya.

Wright’s Copper Cream - For Cleaning and Polishing Pots, Sinks, Mugs, Hardware, Pans and More - 8 fl.

Thank ya kindly sir. Now off to spend more money.

Last edited:

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm a mech convert now too. My 2/3 stopped reading my atomizers the day my X1 came in and I took it as a sign. The only reason I use my regulated mods now is to make sure my new builds don't get wonky when I first install them. After a few hits its all mech. Except for at work, of course. Chef life is way too busy to be fuckin' with mechs.

Yep, Mech's IMO provide the cleanest, purist and smoothest vape there is. My RX200 is pretty much my portable Build, coil cleaning deck and tester.

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Many thanks for the info. Curiosity got the better of me with me X1 RDA. The positive 510 protrudes so, what the hell, I tried running it in hybrid mode for a night and the difference is noticeable, at least to me. Less lag, hits a little harder, but I did notice what r055co mentioned about heat transferring to the battery. It wasn't anything worth getting up in arms about, but truth be told I'm perfectly content without a direct to battery connection so I'll probably reserve the hybrid connection for special occasions. At least I'm not horrified of the thought anymore.

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yep, Mech's IMO provide the cleanest, purist and smoothest vape there is. My RX200 is pretty much my portable Build, coil cleaning deck and tester.

I understand what you mean by "smoothest vape" now. No matter what build I throw in there they're always smooth. I even went down to .24 in one of my builds and it was still silky, just a little warmer and foggier. Good stuff man. I feel like I found what I've been searching for.

Lotus Insane

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Tested my new mechs out on the voltage meter, haven't vaped them yet.... (waiting on battery order) Is a drop of .03v acceptable in the voltage drop range? I ask here because I haven't found someone talk about the actual numbers yet. Congrats to the original poster for getting into mechs and making it over the first hurdle.

VU Sponsors