Become a Patron!

Tips on making vapor thicker (without altering taste or vg/pg)

QuestForVapology

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have a fruit 70 vg / 30 pg recipe that is amazing in tanks, but on the RDA it's very thin. It's weirdly like a night or day difference. Sometimes on my RDA i even taste the cotton because it's so thin.

I want to improve the RDA taste. I've experimented with Ethyl Maltol, MTS. They're ok, but they mute it everything a little bit. But anybody know any other solutions?

I'm working with an Arctic Sub-Ohm Tank and a Sapor RDA

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
What's your build in the RDA? The Sapor is usually a pretty good flavor and vapor RDA. I currently use 24g Kanthal dual coil 7 wraps 3 mm ID, comes out at ca. 0.3 Ohm.
Another option is playing with the airflow, closing it a bit.

Graveyvapes

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm guessing what neunerball's already said, might just be your coil build and the airflow.

Also are you asking for methods on how to get better flavour on your rda or better vapour?

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Why not alter the VG/PG to an 80/20? I am assuming it is a DIY you speaking about since you said recipe.

QuestForVapology

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Why not alter the VG/PG to an 80/20? I am assuming it is a DIY you speaking about since you said recipe.

I've tried upping the vg, but it's too.. it's hard to describe, but it's too foggy, musty. The flavor isn't as clear as I'd like it to be.

Also are you asking for methods on how to get better flavour on your rda or better vapour?

My RDA is all good, it's just this particular recipe. It's great in tanks, but on RDA's it's so thin I get flavor for two puffs, and then i taste cotton. It sounds abnormal but it's the flavor, the RDA works with everything else. So I'm wondering if anyone has any additives for making diy juice thicker

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I've tried upping the vg, but it's too.. it's hard to describe, but it's too foggy, musty. The flavor isn't as clear as I'd like it to be.

Well they do say that higher VG is good for clouds. Have you tried a 75/25? I did one recently with Honeydew at that ratio which is so tasty is makes my mouth water! I had a problem with a store bought burning my atomizers but I do not have access to the recipe which was an 80/20.

Good Luck and I know you will find the solution for your solution viscosity!

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have a fruit 70 vg / 30 pg recipe that is amazing in tanks, but on the RDA it's very thin. It's weirdly like a night or day difference. Sometimes on my RDA i even taste the cotton because it's so thin.

I want to improve the RDA taste. I've experimented with Ethyl Maltol, MTS. They're ok, but they mute it everything a little bit. But anybody know any other solutions?

I'm working with an Arctic Sub-Ohm Tank and a Sapor RDA

Your vapor production will be smoother if your install is clean (tight, well grounded) and your wind efficient (enough wetted contact surface, air and wicking) for the power your'e applying. Without this ain't no additive gonna help. Factory coils are horribly diffusive and wasteful IMO, by design. I've dropped a few lines here on how to get that. Also on that other forum. Give a shout if you want to nail it.

Good luck. :)

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are you sure your just NOT dripping enough juice into the RDA. Dry cottony hit could just be the result of a too dry wick? i'm Stumped otherwise as I vape 100%PG and don't get dry cottony hits, unless I under drip or forget to drip. So the thinness of the juice is not likely the issue. The thickness of the wick could be though.

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Are you sure your just NOT dripping enough juice into the RDA. Dry cottony hit could just be the result of a too dry wick? i'm Stumped otherwise as I vape 100%PG and don't get dry cottony hits, unless I under drip or forget to drip. So the thinness of the juice is not likely the issue. The thickness of the wick could be though.

Ah, when all is said and done that is the dilemma honda. In a perfect universe, how many drops is the perfect vape?

Good luck. :D

T702

Member For 4 Years
I'm gonna say it has more to do with your airflow than anything else. You said it, you've tried changing the pg\vg ratio and it didn't help. Tanks are getting better all the time but there's a reason drippers are king, that's why God invented squonkers . I'm just starting to diy so I'm interested in what you find out, but thicker, more flavorful vape from a dripper is pretty much always the case.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
May want to try Rayon too....it's a tasteless wicking material, unlike cotton.

Like others said, don't be afraid to lace the juice to the dripper, that's what the juice well is for.

Additionally, there is a fine line when wicking a coil for best absorption. Too little wick results in a burnt wick, too much wick chokes the juice absorption. Using rayon you want the wick fairly tight, using cotton you want it snug, not tight.

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@MacTechVpr ....great to see you around Mac....!

Yep, still around. 3rd year vapin' my a** off. Contributing a bit less to the forums. But still trying to get as many new vapers on-board quickly. Some have been encouraging me to get back on the vape store circuit doing workshops again. It's been a while. Just x'in the fingers hopin' there's a few left before this is all done. Hope you're hangin' in.

G'luck. :)

Strain's the thing.

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The question is a contradiction. More vapor, more flavor.

(You can get more density from lower power. It's called a tensioned micro coil. It maximizes power to the wetted contact surface. The thermal concentration of properly strained and oxidized contact coils allows you to limit wire aspect relative to wick contact and so [control for] the power wasted through diffusion to air of non-wetted surface. Low-profile's the goal. Strain and proper method will get you there. Controlling for vaporization density and diffusion can help you target a vapor production balance that suits your personal preferences. More power and wire mass will give you unpredictably both.)

Good luck all. :)

Last edited:

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
tighten up airflow a little. use the sides of your mouth to take in air and alleviate pressure while yourr inhaling thrn toward the end of the hit close that off and suck out of the drip tip exclusively, should get ya a nice thick xloud if i managed to get my point across

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
tighten up airflow a little. use the sides of your mouth to take in air and alleviate pressure while yourr inhaling thrn toward the end of the hit close that off and suck out of the drip tip exclusively, should get ya a nice thick xloud if i managed to get my point across

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

You're right on the quick fix. Like if you're stuck with a factory coil.

The problem with tightening up airflow is you may reduce the vaporization rate. Restricting airflow may curtail diffusion or dispersion of the vapor making it less "airy". But this is not increasing vapor density which ideally we want to optimize in any case. Most folks will try to overcome this by drawing harder increasing velocity of the air stream. This is helpful when you have a small light wire tight wind as you are actually matching to the liquid flow.

What you really want to do is match the juice, airflow and power to the build. Optimize for output density. Not merely compensate for it. Vapor dispersion can then be accomplished by varying draw style as with a wide-bore or AFC DT. It starts with the most efficient wind for the geometry you're working with. For beginners, there's no more direct solution to establishing a good baseline than one that can be made in seconds. What I strongly recommend.

Good luck all. :)

IMG_1559a.jpg

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You wind the best looking coils I have ever seen Mac, sooo good to see you here again. My coils have gotten so much better since I have used your tension coil method. Thanks again Mac.

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You wind the best looking coils I have ever seen Mac, sooo good to see you here again. My coils have gotten so much better since I have used your tension coil method. Thanks again Mac.

Thx J but the real skill is yours. I just introduced the method and gave you the pan. Getting the wire sticky and paying attention to how strain develops aiding oxidation…is what finally gets you there. Just like making that perfect omelette. The t.m.c. itself isn't as big a deal as my reluctant discovery as to just how much precision the average person can easily attain in making them. It's folks like you that convinced skeptical me, as you enjoyed the vape, that the time is well worth spent teaching others.

Best of luck J. :)

Last edited:
You're not getting flavor because your cotton is too tight in your juice flow and not allowing appropriate wicking. I'm sure your liquid is just fine you just need to thin out the cotton or alternatively move it's placement so it allows for better wicking. Try moving the cotton so it's not crammed into where the juice comes into the deck area so it's just lightly resting on top of the feed or juice channels. What tank are you using?

VU Sponsors