Become a Patron!

Tips on wrapping

creeperfan5236

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hello everyone. I recently watched a few YouTube videos on coil building. Tbh, I don't know why I thought it was hard. I guess I gave it a second look and I understood. So I took my 24 gauge wire, a Q tip. (I honestly couldn't find anything the right size, so I got creative!) My tweezers, and some scissors and I built one coil. I knew to keep the wraps close together, but the first and second wrap came out awful, and the third through sixth one (I did six wraps) came out fine. So I put it in my Mutation X V2 and fired it on my Fuhattan clone. I felt like a little kid on Christmas when I seen my very own coil light up orange hot. I squeezed it with the tweezers and It wouldn't heat properly, so I played with it until I fucked it up. It was so bad I don't want to show. Hell, it's already in the trash lmao. So how many wraps should I do? A guy on YouTube said don't do anymore than 7. I said fuck it and did 6. And I'm going to assume that this is a "practice makes perfect" type of thing right?

cardassian

Member For 4 Years
The amount of wraps will depend on what resistance your going for.
Check out steam-engine to get an idea.
Yes, it will definitely get easier with practice.
Do another one and it's likely to be good to go.
My first coil was on a little blue screwdriver.

creeperfan5236

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The amount of wraps will depend on what resistance your going for.
Check out steam-engine to get an idea.
Yes, it will definitely get easier with practice.
Do another one and it's likely to be good to go.
So, the ohm law correct? I'm looking for decent clouds. Not like a cloud comp build, but something decent.

cardassian

Member For 4 Years
So, the ohm law correct? I'm looking for decent clouds. Not like a cloud comp build, but something decent.

I'd use the ohms law tab to determine what you can safely use, then the coil tab to see how many warps will get you there.
What are you firing it on, mech or regulated?
Is it for a rda or a tank?
What batteries are you using?

creeperfan5236

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'd use the ohms law tab to determine what you can safely use, then the coil tab to see how many warps will get you there.
What are you firing it on, mech or regulated?
Is it for a rda or a tank?
What batteries are you using?
I believe Regulated. It's a Fuhattan clone
It's an RDA
and PVTSO 3.7 V batteries. The vape shop said they were new batteries. So they don't have a lot of "street cred"

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Try wrapping on a screwdriver (something you can get an exact measurement on) so you can determine the best choice for your coil.
Always practice SAFETY!

creeperfan5236

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Try wrapping on a screwdriver (something you can get an exact measurement on) so you can determine the best choice for your coil.
Always practice SAFETY!
Problem is, All my screwdrivers in the house are kinda thick I thought about using one. But it looked huge compared the my other coil that the shop built.

cardassian

Member For 4 Years
It's an RDA
and PVTSO 3.7 V batteries. The vape shop said they were new batteries. So they don't have a lot of "street cred"

Fuhattan is a mech mod so you need to get ohms law sorted.
Are those the purple pvtso elite 18650 25amp batteries?
I don't know the battery myself so can't really recommend a build.
In this situation battery safety is you friend as that all that's stopping the mod blowing up next to your face. (Yes I'm being over dramatic here but it makes the point).
Do you have an ohms tester?

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
It's an RDA
fuhattans are mechs, which means battery safety is super-important. You want to be sure that your coil isn't drawing more from the battery than the battery can safely handle.
edit - what @cardassian said ;)

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes, take a look for some drill bits they will come in handy. Especially since you'll have the size you are using so you have something to reference when you go to make your coils.

creeperfan5236

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yes, take a look for some drill bits they will come in handy. Especially since you'll have the size you are using so you have something to reference when you go to make your coils.
Not a bad idea.

CloudySkies

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use a set of Allen wrenches which have the diameter right on the holder. I've also found that if you do 2 wraps and snug the wire with pliers you can hand wrap the rest because iit is snugges around the wrench, making it easier to concentrate. Allen wrenches do have a drawback if you want to adjust the coil after you fire and crimp it. The hexagonal shape makes it difficult to remove from the coil sometimes because the coil diameter has contracted/expanded once squished.

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I use a set of Allen wrenches which have the diameter right on the holder. I've also found that if you do 2 wraps and snug the wire with pliers you can hand wrap the rest because iit is snugges around the wrench, making it easier to concentrate. Allen wrenches do have a drawback if you want to adjust the coil after you fire and crimp it. The hexagonal shape makes it difficult to remove from the coil sometimes because the coil diameter has contracted/expanded once squished.
Personally I never had any luck with Allen wrenches ......but have seen many others do well with them.......I should give it go again to see what happens

"War,war never changes

Only The Means of Destruction"

VU Sponsors