Become a Patron!

Tired of poor quality pre-made attomizers - want an RTA

cynkrzy

Old Guy with a New Trick
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I've had it with crappy coils that last a couple of days or a week at best. It's a waste of money and my throat is real sensitive to burnt cotton and nasty wire.

I've ventured into Drippers, but not something I want to take outside of the Garage.

So, I think an RTA is the solution to this.

I have a couple of requirements, and after reading countless threads, I'm more confused than when I started.

so.

1) No Leaks
2) Flavor as good as a new "Octo" Coil in a TFV8 @ 100watts
3) 22-25mm tank
4) NO LEAKS (I repeat myself, I just really hate the nasty mess)

I've started making my own straight wound Kanthal coils, and can get Clapton & Twisted wire from a buddy who owns a shop.

Please recommend your Bestest, I know y'all have many you love, but I get so confused...

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
boreas, they run around 20 bucks and come with 2 decks so you can build on both and have a spare handy for a quick swap out. and you can change coils with a full tank. no need to empty it to access the coils.

There is also the supreme. i haven't used it but have one on order. many here say it's a better version of the boreas but it costs twice as much and I think it only comes with 1 deck. not sure on coil access with a full tank

aspr

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The supreme if wicked correctly is dryer than the supreme

All RTAs will leak if you don't wick them properly and some even if you do.
Like he said. It takes patience and practice. I've mastered RTA's so I thought going to RDTAs would be easy. It's all a learning experience. Read up on here, watch wicking videos for whatever tank you purchase and have a great vaping setup

4a790ad71a718a0da67b17f848d5ccb6.jpg
I run fused claptons(28ss/36ka1)in a mutation mt, good flavor & decent production. Only leaks when I get lazy and don't wick it right

Griffen25 or boreas(or however you spell it) will be my next tank.

Screw You.
I'm From Texas.

all_thumbs

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
1) No Leaks
4) NO LEAKS (I repeat myself, I just really hate the nasty mess)

Amen on the mess. we all hate it I'm sure. As stated, whether an RTA leaks or not has as much or more to do with how you set it up compared to how well it is made or designed. There is definitely a learning curve. That said I have had the least leaking (virtually zero, ever) with the Coilart Mage. My next cleanest would be my Serpent Minis (22mm and 25mm) and then my SXK mini Kayfun 5 clone. All the full sized RTAs I have and my Geekvape Griffin mini RTA have had at least one build dump pretty hard. I have not tried the OBS Engine, the Griffin 25plus or the Boreas. My Supreme Lite is pretty good but doesn't stay bone dry on the outside like my Mage.

Biggest hint would be to use coils big enough to hold enough cotton to cover but not totally 'cork up' the juice flow holes or channels. Wicking is key!

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Boreas and Alleria are my favorites. I also love the Merlin but I can't possibly recommend it since it seeps like a sieve.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cynkrzy

Old Guy with a New Trick
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Thanks, y'all - so it appears I got some "Studyin" to do. I've learned a bit about wicking from my Drippers, and even experienced the dreaded "Dry Hit" when I put too much cotton in the coils and it didn't wick well. It seems that wicking an RTA is all Black Magic and Voodoo about getting the cotton in the juice holes correctly.. guess I better get out the rubber gloves and the Credit Card.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Thanks, y'all - so it appears I got some "Studyin" to do. I've learned a bit about wicking from my Drippers, and even experienced the dreaded "Dry Hit" when I put too much cotton in the coils and it didn't wick well. It seems that wicking an RTA is all Black Magic and Voodoo about getting the cotton in the juice holes correctly.. guess I better get out the rubber gloves and the Credit Card.
pretty much, but using a temp control device will eliminate dry hits. if it's not firing your wick is dry lol

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Might take a look at the Sense RTA-2
b8dfb71161580944c33eb36668b4d02f.jpg
Large velocity style deck, big airholes under the coils, wide juice channels for your cotton, true 6ml tank and a delrin driptip
8d8ee3ab1eea47ee12d5d5234b201b5a.jpg
Seen here on my well used IPV4 it has become the best performing RTA I've owned yet..good luck with your choice.. :)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Might take a look at the Sense RTA-2
b8dfb71161580944c33eb36668b4d02f.jpg
Large velocity style deck, big airholes under the coils, wide juice channels for your cotton, true 6ml tank and a delrin driptip
8d8ee3ab1eea47ee12d5d5234b201b5a.jpg
Seen here on my well used IPV4 it has become the best performing RTA I've owned yet..good luck with your choice.. :)

I like the look of that one

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Currently enjoying the OBS engine.. great flavor and no leaks .. ordered a second after 1 week. Ez to build on too.
Other tanks - Supreme (yes can change build on full tank) and +1 for the Avocado 24.. not gonna grab the bottom flow version .. prefer the mechanics of the org 24. Also agree TC is the way to go for avoiding dry hits ..

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Currently enjoying the OBS engine.. great flavor and no leaks .. ordered a second after 1 week. Ez to build on too.
Other tanks - Supreme (yes can change build on full tank) and +1 for the Avocado 24.. not gonna grab the bottom flow version .. prefer the mechanics of the org 24. Also agree TC is the way to go for avoiding dry hits ..
thanks for the info on the supreme. can't wait to get mine

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The Steamcrave Aromamizer Supreme rdta Limited Edition comes with a velocity & a postless deck = 2 decks. Also comes with a 7ml tank & 4ml tank. Pretty complete kit. Fasttech has them for $30~ they have it in SS, Black, Coffee, Gunmetal & Gold. I ordered one expect it to ship in a few days.
I have & can recommend Boreas, Wotofo Serpent Mini 25, ijoy Tornado, Kayfun V5 clone (but based on your specs I don't think it's what you are looking for). I also have the Merlin's & love it like @Deucesjack but can't recommend it because of seeping issues.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
The Steamcrave Aromamizer Supreme rdta Limited Edition comes with a velocity & a postless deck = 2 decks. Also comes with a 7ml tank & 4ml tank. Pretty complete kit. Fasttech has them for $30~ they have it in SS, Black, Coffee, Gunmetal & Gold. I ordered one expect it to ship in a few days.
I have & can recommend Boreas, Wotofo Serpent Mini 25, ijoy Tornado, Kayfun V5 clone (but based on your specs I don't think it's what you are looking for). I also have the Merlin's & love it like @Deucesjack but can't recommend it because of seeping issues.
I ordered that but I don't remember it coming with all that in the description. Would be awesome if it did. I got the gold

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Rangertrix

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Start with a Kayfun Lite. If you can get to where you get the wicking right on it every time, then anything and everything else will be a cake walk!
Just kidding.
All RTA's will leak if wicked or handled improperly. A properly wicked RTA can leak from simple things such as environment temp change or change in elevation, etc. Some have actually been known to leak from the heat of being left on a mod while on board charging is being used. (I don't recommend doing either, btw)
That being said, you mention a TFV8 as a baseline for the performance you want. Do you own a TFV8? If so, why not start out with the included RBA for it?
I mean, if you want an RTA that performs similiarly to the TFV8, why not the TFV8 with an RBA section?

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I ordered that but I don't remember it coming with all that in the description. Would be awesome if it did. I got the gold

Yeah they didn't list everything in the description but if you carefully look at the pics & go to Steamcrave's site to compare the Limited Edition it does come with everything.

Happy joy joy for us!

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Yeah they didn't list everything in the description but if you carefully look at the pics & go to Steamcrave's site to compare the Limited Edition it does come with everything.

Happy joy joy for us!
That would be a happy suprise indeed

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have three TFV8 tanks and I did not like the RBA at all
It was hard to wick, leaked some and poor hits..To me it's a tiny deck compared to the huge decks I'm accustomed to building in the RTA-2 and Griffin 25...
I like the T8 coils in my TFV8 and stick to easy building my true RTA's..good luck trying the RBA...

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I have three TFV8 tanks and I did not like the RBA at all
It was hard to wick, leaked some and poor hits..To me it's a tiny deck compared to the huge decks I'm accustomed to building in the RTA-2 and Griffin 25...
I like the T8 coils in my TFV8 and stick to easy building my true RTA's..good luck trying the RBA...

I never had an issue with the rba for the tfv8 personally. Worked great for me

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
confirmed - comes with the conversion kit as well as two decks.. plus the single coil adapters one with airflow one without.. sweet deal!~
Shit just gets better and better lol

all_thumbs

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The full size TFV8 deck didn't seem tiny to me at all, but I use mostly mini RTAs because to me the flavor is better and I like the less bulky look. I have had mixed wicking experiences with the TFV8 RBA, seemingly good builds suddenly dumping juice. Also it has too much airflow by far for me since its made to be super airy with premade coils.. There can be much less constriction with a built RBA/RTA than most premade coils. I have to close the TFV8 down to small 2.5mm openings on each side. When you get it setup right for you though, it's still a cloud cannon like it is with premade coils. I've gone through a full tank in under 20 minutes with it early in the summer sitting outside.

I'm not a huge fan of the Herakles RTA-2 deck and so far for me the flavor was a bit dulled, but mine doesn't leak if I do my part right.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My favorite RTA is still the Supreme but it can't really take massive coils or do very high wattage.
I've moved back almost exclusively to RDAs since no RTA can preform as good as a good RDA with the right build for it.

Deeks

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My vote would be for the Boreas as far as RTAs go. I keep coming back to them, I own 5 but I also own a bunch of other RTAs that I can never seem to stick with.

Aromamizer Supreme would be my #2 suggestion, good tank, good flavor, but mine fucking whistles like no other so I cant hardly stand it lol

#3 suggestion would be a Billow v2.5. Pretty solid tank, mine I have to blow out the excess juice every time I refill it as it doesnt actually fully seal with the juice flow control shut off, so the pressure of putting the topcap back on pushes juice into the build deck causing temporary flooding

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yep, Boreas is just a beast. 2 build decks, easy to wick, great flavor, and clouds bro. Lol. If that tank came with a monster single coil deck it would be perfect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

cynkrzy

Old Guy with a New Trick
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Ok folks seems like the Boreas is a good starting point. I did build the TFV4 RBA and had decent success. That was with the coils that were included. I may revisit that one and the TFV8 as well now that I can wind my own coils.

I was thinking that a tank that was made to be rebuildable might perform better just because it was intended for that purpose.

And I do love the TFV8 & Octo Coil - however the lack of consistency with those coils is a real bummer. Especially if one of the 4 burns before the others. I've literally had one of them burn in a couple of tanks... not as bad as the UWell, but still, expensive and disappointing in that regard.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Ok folks seems like the Boreas is a good starting point. I did build the TFV4 RBA and had decent success. That was with the coils that were included. I may revisit that one and the TFV8 as well now that I can wind my own coils.

I was thinking that a tank that was made to be rebuildable might perform better just because it was intended for that purpose.

And I do love the TFV8 & Octo Coil - however the lack of consistency with those coils is a real bummer. Especially if one of the 4 burns before the others. I've literally had one of them burn in a couple of tanks... not as bad as the UWell, but still, expensive and disappointing in that regard.
the TFV8 RBA deck IMO is much better then the TFV4 RBA deck

Rangertrix

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
the TFV8 RBA deck IMO is much better then the TFV4 RBA deck

That really kind of depends on what type of builds you prefer.
I was going to say that I liked the TFV4 RBA better, but then realized I was thinking of the one that came with the TFV4 Mini. The clapton one (RCA, I think), not the standard RBA.
I can say that I liked the TFV4 Mini RCA better than the RBA for the TFV8 Baby Beast though, lol.
Sorry SirRichard, I almost went off half-cocked in disagreeing (sort of) with you. My bad. =P

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
That really kind of depends on what type of builds you prefer.
I was going to say that I liked the TFV4 RBA better, but then realized I was thinking of the one that came with the TFV4 Mini. The clapton one (RCA, I think), not the standard RBA.
I can say that I liked the TFV4 Mini RCA better than the RBA for the TFV8 Baby Beast though, lol.
Sorry SirRichard, I almost went off half-cocked in disagreeing (sort of) with you. My bad. =P
i have 2 RBA heads for the TFV4. the single coil and triple coil heads. I never tried the dual coil one. the one for the TFV8 is very similar to the boreas and very easy to wick IMO. Haven't used my TFV4 since i got the TFV8 but i will use it again eventually

Rangertrix

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

You could try rebuilding the RBA section with some of the specialty wires available like Tiger wire from Wotofo and such. I would bet simply making a set of dual coils out of some of those specialty wires could get you real close, possibly better, to the Octo Coil you love so much.
Others feel free to chime in, I got out of crazy builds quite a while back, and have stuck to primarily SS singles, duals when I have to.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
You could try rebuilding the RBA section with some of the specialty wires available like Tiger wire from Wotofo and such. I would bet simply making a set of dual coils out of some of those specialty wires could get you real close, possibly better, to the Octo Coil you love so much.
Others feel free to chime in, I got out of crazy builds quite a while back, and have stuck to primarily SS singles, duals when I have to.
yeah i rebuild mine with "fancy wire" it's all i use in everything pretyy much now.
the smok RBA head comes with a dual clapton build already on it. just wick it and go for the 1st time and make sure you get out hot spots

Rangertrix

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
i have 2 RBA heads for the TFV4. the single coil and triple coil heads. I never tried the dual coil one. the one for the TFV8 is very similar to the boreas and very easy to wick IMO. Haven't used my TFV4 since i got the TFV8 but i will use it again eventually

I have the single coil clapton RBA (there was also a regular single coil RBA) for my TFV4 Mini and was gifted a brand new dual coil one by someone who said the single was all they would ever use. He was right. I still have the dual sitting brand new in the box because the single clapton worked great for my build preference. Kinda makes me feel bad. He sent it to me at his own expense from Austrailia and I never used it.
I had intended to at least try it, but never got around to it in the 2 days companies have in between model releases. Lol.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I have the single coil clapton RBA (there was also a regular single coil RBA) for my TFV4 Mini and was gifted a brand new dual coil one by someone who said the single was all they would ever use. He was right. I still have the dual sitting brand new in the box because the single clapton worked great for my build preference. Kinda makes me feel bad. He sent it to me at his own expense from Austrailia and I never used it.
I had intended to at least try it, but never got around to it in the 2 days companies have in between model releases. Lol.
it's more my preference. all my favorite's to build on are clamp or velocity style. i don't like 3 post, or screw down as much anymore. all the TFV4 were screw down IIRC but the TFV8 is velocity style

Rangertrix

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
yeah i rebuild mine with "fancy wire" it's all i use in everything pretyy much now.

Yeah, Wotofo alone offers twisted, quad twisted, clapton, parallel clapton, Hive wire, Tiger wire, and get this..........Caterpillar Clapton Comp Wire. Whatever the heck that is!
I feel almost inferior, as I just use plain old wire (316l).

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Yeah, Wotofo alone offers twisted, quad twisted, clapton, parallel clapton, Hive wire, Tiger wire, and get this..........Caterpillar Clapton Comp Wire. Whatever the heck that is!
I feel almost inferior, as I just use plain old wire (316l).
this place has good wire (and are a member here IIRC) advancedvapesupply.com

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Other than the serpent mini, the only RTA I use is the Griffin 22. It's practically idiot proof and it just so happens I'm an idiot. I've never had it leak or dry hit on me and will vape it all the way up to 120w. Of course how high you can take any RTA is dependent on your build.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My favorite RTA is still the Supreme but it can't really take massive coils or do very high wattage.
I've moved back almost exclusively to RDAs since no RTA can preform as good as a good RDA with the right build for it.
You can purchase the postless deck for the Supreme if you would like to build larger coils for it.

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I hate leaks just as much that's why I recommend that you get an RDTA. Specifically the Limitless Plus or Classic. Holds a lot of juice, easy to wick and fill. And no mess!

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I hate leaks just as much that's why I recommend that you get an RDTA. Specifically the Limitless Plus or Classic. Holds a lot of juice, easy to wick and fill. And no mess!
What about the avacado 24? Practically the same design but better quality IMO

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What about the avacado 24? Practically the same design but better quality IMO

I don't like the tiny fill holes on the avocado. It's a great tank also though. I find nothing wrong with the quality of my Limitless and it has a big side fill slot. Much easier to wick too. No stuffing cotton into holes.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I don't like the tiny fill holes on the avocado. It's a great tank also though. I find nothing wrong with the quality of my Limitless and it has a big side fill slot. Much easier to wick too. No stuffing cotton into holes.
The avacado or the 24? 24 has pretty big fill holes. The non 24 needs to be filled with the juice holes. Nothing wrong with the limitless quality just saying side by side the avacado feels heavier and sturdier

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The avacado or the 24? 24 has pretty big fill holes. The non 24 needs to be filled with the juice holes. Nothing wrong with the limitless quality just saying side by side the avacado feels heavier and sturdier

Still got you on the wicking though ;-)

VU Sponsors