Become a Patron!

TOO LITTLE TOO LATE? EVOLV DNA40 ALREADY DEAD TECH?

VaporJoe

_ the end has arrived _
Staff member
VU Owner
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon

With the advent of cheap wattage coming from China - is the Evolv DNA40 already dead tech?

We know you can change the temperature with this new chip, but does that really matter to anyone? Is it just a gimmick or a stop gap to separate themselves from current Chinese wattage chips? How long until that small upgrade is cloned?

On the flip side one vaper told me at VCCTN "to control temperature is a way to enter the dry herb market".
It did make me raise my eyebrow for a moment.

Either way -- it seems to be too little to late. China is crushing America in the wattage market. It comes down to watt per dollar. Currently you can get 180 watts (with the god mod) for less then $1.00 per watt. With 200 watts+ on the horizon can Evolv even compete in this game anymore?

With something as tiny and inexpensive as the Eleaf iStick - China is all the rage at the moment in terms of regulated devices. Mod makers are feeling the pinch. No longer can they complain about being cloned. They are being squeezed out by simple innovation at cheap prices.

Tube mods are dieing -- box mods are the new baby. Box mods are easy to build and cheap.. With this latest trend every Tom, Dick and Harry can become a pretty decent mod maker.

This blogger welcomes this new trend. Mod making has reverted back to its early days when it wasn't about exclusivity.

....Its about whats effective.

J_TkMY-wfa4

Click here to get more information on this deal....

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Evolve is like ProVape...slow horse to the trough. China knows what it takes to create huge volume sales...they are the BEST at it, and now that they have learned to listen to the customers...there is no stopping this. I agree that tube mods are suffering right now...but as a genny lover, there will always be that need. Keep up the good work China.

Liu

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Dead? I dunno. I suspect there will be enough of a market for that range to keep evolv in the game.

I mean, if Provape can release a "long-awated" 20W device and not immediately be forced to make a public apology for not being the most powerful thing on the market, I'm going along with the idea that there's enough vapers interested in maybe just going a little beyond the DNA30 and calling it good.

Sure, you could get a IPV or Sigelei and not automatically top the thing out, but plenty of people won't because China and reasons, I'm sure.

Was it the smartest idea evolv ever had? Probably not. They could have probably made a stronger boost module for the investment and given the entirety of the market a good option.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Dead? I dunno. I suspect there will be enough of a market for that range to keep evolv in the game.

I mean, if Provape can release a "long-awated" 20W device and not immediately be forced to make a public apology for not being the most powerful thing on the market, I'm going along with the idea that there's enough vapers interested in maybe just going a little beyond the DNA30 and calling it good.

Sure, you could get a IPV or Sigelei and not automatically top the thing out, but plenty of people won't because China and reasons, I'm sure.

Was it the smartest idea evolv ever had? Probably not. They could have probably made a stronger boost module for the investment and given the entirety of the market a good option.
I feel sorry in a way for Evolv...they will never be able to compete. I do agree with you in that there are plenty that are vaping <50 watts...but how long will that last? I am a very very long time vaper and can remember back when 5volts was hard core, and sub ohming meant .9ohms. None of us at the time ever thought that we would be vaping at >50 watts, or that it was even possible....now we are vaping at under .2ohms and 100watts.

Jackson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I feel sorry in a way for Evolv...they will never be able to compete.
No reason to feel sorry for Evolv, they have never been able to keep up with the demand and I'm sure their latest entry will be no different. Having a healthy backlog of orders is a good thing.

Superjeep

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Frankly 40 watts is overkill for most vapors so I do not see how its DOA and I like the idea of the temp control. They just simply need to lower the price on the chips a bit. 40 watts in a small chip actually sounds great to me because thats the type of chip that will make mods smaller.

For me personally I do not need a giant box that does 180+ watts and takes 3 batteries just to give you a few hours of vape time and a 5 fold increase in juice cost. I am kinda shocked we are going back to giant DIY ghetto boxes that look like shit like the kind we built years ago but to each their own. The vast majority of vapors are the ones that will buy the Innokin devices with the DNA chip or similar sub 40 watt devices.

I would be shocked if the people buying the 100 watt+ stuff even made up 5% of the vaping population.

latinouno

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
China got this figure out, there cost to manufacture vaping devices (flashlight tube, box mod, chips etc.) very cheap. Now more wattage on a chip means more profits them on something that cost them just a few cents.... They are very quick to adapt and getting better doing it. Good example, take a look @ Provape 20w device, maybe the best quality but price vs a 20w istick selling for around $35.00 is a no brainer for the average user.

Tripster

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hi Watts is a Niche Market In The Greater Vaping World

Not only that but seems like some folks have forgotten who and what country pioneered/innovated the E-Cig, China has been dominating our industry from the beginning and I have predicted that China will always continue to dominate it.

AdamSenior

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I know me personally I am really excited for the release of evolvs new dna 40 board. Sounds like its pretty cool with all the new temperature features and I'm sure there is other new and interesting things about the chip which we haven't been told about yet. I own a ipv v2 and plan on purchasing the new 100 watt box from segili but I also own and have owned a bunch of authentic and cloned DNA 30s. To be honest my home made hana mod is my go to vape most of the time. Performance from evlov has all ways been top notch for me and I have no reason to believe this new DNA will be any different. Either way I know I'll be getting my hands on the new vaporshark or hana as soon aS they are available.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
40 watts is cool with me for my all day vaping (more like 20), and thats what evolv is after the all day vaping experience. they are regulated mod kayfun style users at evolv so naturally that is the market they are focused on and i think its a bigger market than the sub ohm high wattage market, if its not already i think it will be as vaping grows. the thing i like about evolv is they are trying to push it forward and pay attention to detail so i dont mind paying an extra $20 for their chips, i dont think china knows how to do that they just want huge sales and only need something that works for cheap for that (not that its a bad model, but cost benefit is on evolv side if they keep price reasonable)

Going to the original blog post referring to temperature control, what temperature is the board supposed to be measuring and where? The coils? The 510 connection? The board itself? I can't imagine how it is possible for the board in the device to measure temp of my coils inside the RDA without either a direct sensor or a lot of input variables. I don't see it as a way for Evolv to go to the dry market until we know exactly what the board is supposed to be measuring the temperature of.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Frankly 40 watts is overkill for most vapors so I do not see how its DOA and I like the idea of the temp control. They just simply need to lower the price on the chips a bit. 40 watts in a small chip actually sounds great to me because thats the type of chip that will make mods smaller.

For me personally I do not need a giant box that does 180+ watts and takes 3 batteries just to give you a few hours of vape time and a 5 fold increase in juice cost. I am kinda shocked we are going back to giant DIY ghetto boxes that look like shit like the kind we built years ago but to each their own. The vast majority of vapors are the ones that will buy the Innokin devices with the DNA chip or similar sub 40 watt devices.

I would be shocked if the people buying the 100 watt+ stuff even made up 5% of the vaping population.
You dont know many power vapers. I spend a great deal of time at 510 Vapers here in St Louis and have to say that of the 30+ regulars I know....all of us vape <.5 ohms at >50watts.

Superjeep

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thats at a vape shop and what sounds like almost a club per se. I have zero issue with people that are high wattage vapors so please dont get me wrong I am a big believer in freedom of choice. I simply think in the grand scheme of things its a very, very small segment of the vape population. We get caught up in this and other forums and youtube/live shows that kinda condense our little universe of vaping where it gives the illusion that some things are more popular or widespread than they really are.

The reality is in my opinion the vast majority dont want or need a 100 watt plus device because vaping is not a hobby to them its a means to an end. It takes special kinds of nuts like us to turn a habbit into such a exotic and costly hobby hehe. Not everyone has the time or the patience to hit up forums and video's to keep up on the world of cutting edge vape. A current clearo and a stick battery while not glamorous in our little world still rules the roost over all and for people just starting out so the more we can improve that segment the better off all of us will be with a influx of new vapors.

Its the circle of vaping life Simba!

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I compare Evolv to IBM. IBM pioneered the PC and made damn sure the software it sold worked well on it's machines. Compaq came along and opened up the "IBM Clone" war. Now the clones have won and IBM collects royalties on the architecture. Evolv has a good board/chipset and want to provide vaping to the masses rather than the power crazed folks who want to drip at 180 watts. I see their business model and think they will succeed, if China doesn't clone it and make a good copy. China will and Evolv with have to Evolve like IBM.

Dj Xy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
No the DNA 40 will not be "dead tech".
In fact it will be more than the majority of will need,.
Just because subohming, and cloud chasing is all the rage now, it is still just a niche market, China is gonna cash in quickly since they know whats popular today will eventually be old news.
I personally prefer the reliability of a DNA powered device over some cheaper, overpowered device.
And for those that think real DNA devices are hard to get and Evolv can't keep up with demand , theres plenty around if you look, in fact the top 3 DNA 30 devices, the Hana, Vaporshark,and ZNA are all in stock at various site right now, as for the diy boards The house of vapor has them in stock .
So no there is no shortage on Evolvs part, they just don't sell directly to the public any more unless you plan on buying in bulk.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I hear a lot of what people "need". In all honesty, how many people here restrict themselves to what they "need"? Perhaps I'm the only one that buys things I don't need, only because they are things I WANT.

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
just saw busardos interview with brandon from evolv...
very curious about the nickel wire/ temperature control and everything...
i see a new opus or vaporshark in my future...
im probably the only one in the entire forum that likes where this company is trying to go...

Dj Xy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
im probably the only one in the entire forum that likes where this company is trying to go...
I'm with you, I'm hoping for a new ZNA or perhaps being able to have mine upgraded to the new chipset.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I actually LIKE the temp control on the DNA40... As it stands, I cant seem to go above 18-22w without getting that burnt taste in a less than half a tank, so usually have to stick to less than15w.. If they can stop that from happening and allow me to up my wattage, Im all for it.

Besides, FT Cana enclosure kit + DNA40 = $80.. cheap cheap for a real DNA mod.. Muahahaha :)

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sa
Going to the original blog post referring to temperature control, what temperature is the board supposed to be measuring and where? The coils? The 510 connection? The board itself? I can't imagine how it is possible for the board in the device to measure temp of my coils inside the RDA without either a direct sensor or a lot of input variables. I don't see it as a way for Evolv to go to the dry market until we know exactly what the board is supposed to be measuring the temperature of.
Says in the vid - the coil. However, I do agree that its prolly most likely done with input variables aka software guess.

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
from how i understand it, the board doesnt measure temp, it sets a limit to how hot the coils get...implying , if dry cotton starts to singe at 410 degrees, set temp to 400 and never burn your wick, while enjoying the flavor and vapor from 40 watts of power.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Couldn't disagree more with OP. If this works the way Evolv says it does, I will probably never buy a mod without this technology again.
Until of course the next technology emerges. For the time being, I don't see any useful tech coming from Evolv that Yihi has nae already put to market. Temp settings are irrelevant in my opinion..but then it's shiny, so people will buy it. I still marvel at how bling translates to "ERMAGHERD I NEED THIS"

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
evolv is on top of it as a company, i got a lot of respect for them. having a temp limit sounds awesome to me, and i think changes how we move forward in vaping. making 200 watt devices isnt moving forward its just maxing out what we have already

im glad i decided to wait though i was close to ordering a dna30

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Until of course the next technology emerges. For the time being, I don't see any useful tech coming from Evolv that Yihi has nae already put to market. Temp settings are irrelevant in my opinion..but then it's shiny, so people will buy it. I still marvel at how bling translates to "ERMAGHERD I NEED THIS"
its not shiny its a more stable vape then your standard regulated device. now that we have gotten battery drop off out of the way with regulated wattage we need to get the temperature stable bc even with regulated devices the heat is all over the place throughout the draw, with variables too like how much juice is on the coils, what kind of coil you have, etc. its the obvious next step in vaping

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
its not shiny its a more stable vape then your standard regulated device. now that we have gotten battery drop off out of the way with regulated wattage we need to get the temperature stable bc even with regulated devices the heat is all over the place throughout the draw, with variables too like how much juice is on the coils, what kind of coil you have, etc. its the obvious next step in vaping
Explain in great detail how the temp in a properly made coil is "all over the place" in a regulated device please. I'm not taking the piss, I just want to understand your theory.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Explain in great detail how the temp in a properly made coil is "all over the place" in a regulated device please. I'm not taking the piss, I just want to understand your theory.
im not a scientist lol but the theory is our wattage is a linear power source so heat is rising throughout the draw, that rate of increase is linear until it hits max temp it gets from the wattage. that max point could be different based on the build, how much juice you have left on coils, etc. thats the reason our coils get janky/black and some juices taste bad in some setups and not in others. the first step in controlling temp is accurately monitoring it and putting a cap on it at your desired heat

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
build a coil, any coil ...apply current to said coil...the coil gets hotter and hotter until metal fatigue sets in and poof...
its like setting your oven to 350 degrees...the element shuts off, turns on as it needs to, to maintain the temp you set...
like brandon said, watts and coil temp are totally exclusive, not the same

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
im not a scientist lol but the theory is our wattage is a linear power source so heat is rising throughout the draw, that rate of increase is linear until it hits max temp it gets from the wattage. that max point could be different based on the build, how much juice you have left on coils, etc. thats the reason our coils get janky/black and some juices taste bad in some setups and not in others. the first step in controlling temp is accurately monitoring it and putting a cap on it at your desired heat
Ahh, I thought the secret to controlling heat and flavour of the vape was to adjust power and resistance until you hit your "sweet spot".....thank you for the clarification.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ahh, I thought the secret to controlling heat and flavour of the vape was to adjust power and resistance until you hit your "sweet spot".....thank you for the clarification.
i dont think resistance will be as important once we start getting deeper into temp control, hell even with what we have now it becomes less important. is a 0.6 ohm at 500 degrees any different than a 0.9 ohm at 500 degrees? we will soon find out a lot of things

Kevin2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This new DNA40 will be ideal for chain Vapers like myself. I hate dry hits especially half way through a hit on my dripper. Starts off good then it taste like fire.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This new DNA40 will be ideal for chain Vapers like myself. I hate dry hits especially half way through a hit on my dripper. Starts off good then it taste like fire.
yep less juice = higher heat and faster increase in heat. also good news for flavor chasers, a whole new wing of vaping. something that wasnt mentioned in phils video is i bet this will make premade coils (when they release non resistance wire versions) last a lot longer once there is recommended or understood temp settings

Otto Dafe

Member For 4 Years

I'll forgive the accusation that I'm some sort of mindless consumer since you're so clearly and completely ignorant regarding the topic at hand. Normally I wouldn't be so blunt but your comment was really rude and I'm offended.

Otto Dafe

Member For 4 Years

They go over it somewhat in the video. As I understand it they're using the heating coil as a makeshift resistance thermometer (or RTD). Basically the idea is that with some elements you have a pretty consistent relationship of resistance vs. temperature over a good range of temperature. So provided that you know what the R/T is for a given element (hence their insistence on Nickel 200 wire*), and that you have a sample of the resistance at a known temperature, you can then estimate the temperature of the coil solely by reading the resistance. I assume they use a thermistor on the board for the ambient temperature and they derive the baseline resistance from that at the time you screw on your atty.

It's pretty damn cool, and should be a lot safer than what we're all doing now, I just hope it doesn't de-ball it too much.

* - An alloy like kanthal would be no good because R / T isn't predictable enough with an alloy--too much different shit in it doing too much different shit.

Last edited:

Roger Schaeffer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I hear a lot of what people "need". In all honesty, how many people here restrict themselves to what they "need"? Perhaps I'm the only one that buys things I don't need, only because they are things I WANT.
Probably the 90% of Vaper not reading the Forums. Be here we're following the Innovation with a Eagles Eye to get the Performance EDGE that lets us Remain seated at the COOL Kids Table. I'd love to Buy A New Technology Mod Mod every 6 months, But my Gut tells me the Money is put to better use Donating to Vapers Rights Advocacy Groups Like CASAA-SAFATA-Vaping Militia. and I cannot afford to do both. I want the Future Vapers To Have access to the kind of Vape Gear we have been fortunate to have. Big Tobacco is Lobbying the FDA to Ban Refillableshttp://www.csnews.com/product-categories/tobacco/rai-lorillard-push-e-cigarette-rules

Last edited:

Otto Dafe

Member For 4 Years

I can't wait you can vape a dripper until its out of juice and you wont ever get a nasty hit. crazy just watch the video and you will see.

Yeah it's tremendous. I also like that as you pull harder the device will deliver more power to the coil, which is something I still miss from cigarettes.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I'll forgive the accusation that I'm some sort of mindless consumer since you're so clearly and completely ignorant regarding the topic at hand. Normally I wouldn't be so blunt but your comment was really rude and I'm offended.
It was not directed at you, nor anyone in particular. I'm sorry that you are offended as that was not the intention. However, if you truly believe that I require your forgiveness, you are the ignorant one. All that aside, be assured that I was not directing my comments towards you...have a nice day!

Otto Dafe

Member For 4 Years
It was not directed at you, nor anyone in particular. I'm sorry that you are offended as that was not the intention. However, if you truly believe that I require your forgiveness, you are the ignorant one. All that aside, be assured that I was not directing my comments towards you...have a nice day!

Nor was my post directed at you. Why did you think it was? Oh well...take it easy!

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I'll just leave that for others to answer.

chris.ardito.3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think it's all about safety. Because Evolv wants to vap safe at 400 degrees and not get a burnt taste. Which I think the temp is pretty cool idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More and more useless wattage is the DOA technology. Being able to to produce more than twice as much vapor at half the wattage because you aren't burning the juice is the game changer. That and no more dry hits. Sure you'll see 200 watt boards soon, but after this year it's not likely you'll see one without temp limiting.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I must be in some other dimension. I vape .2ohm @ 75watts and have not once burned a wick (Japanese cotton) or burnt any juice...nor a dry hit outside of just needing to drip. Same scenario on my gennies and Orchids. But that is just me, and I probably represent a wee percentage.

I must be in some other dimension. I vape .2ohm @ 75watts and have not once burned a wick (Japanese cotton) or burnt any juice...nor a dry hit outside of just needing to drip. Same scenario on my gennies and Orchids. But that is just me, and I probably represent a wee percentage.
How often do you replace coils/wicks?

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
How often do you replace coils/wicks?
How often is pretty much all the time....but I generally NEED to, perhaps once every few weeks. Coils, indefinitely...except I tend to monkey around with resistance and style.

Do you dry burn with wick changes? For me, even at much higher ohms (.6 - .8) at much lower watts (about 28) I'm getting gunk buildup on the coil within 3 hours that cuts vapor noticeably and needs to be burned off. That doesn't happen with the temp limiting. Coils stay ungunked (almost unoxidized at all) for weeks.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I never get gunk buildup, but I also do not vape dark juices. Gunk will collect at lower temps btw.

VU Sponsors