Become a Patron!

Torn 18650 wrapper: repair or replace?

Cavediver

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
One of my 18650s has a small hole in the wrapper on the side, up near the positive pole. Can I get away with painting over the torn spot to provide some measure of insulation, or do I need to get a new wrapper and replace it?

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You'll need a hair dryer or heat gun but I guess that's obvious. I use a hair dryer to shrink the wrap. I've seen people use lighters, but that's just silly

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Personally, i would toss 'em. That factory wrap surely has to meet certain safety specifications.

Having said that, i have to bow before mighty heat shrink wrap. I used heat shrink tubing it to hold an old pair of ancient eyeglasses once. They turned out to be incredibly sturdy and i actually continued using them for like another year or two without bothering to have them for-real repaired.

Galaxyrider

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Considering that they spend so much time next to my face, I think I'd opt to replace. A few cents more on safety beats th hell outa thousands of dollars given to "Ol' Saw Bones" IMHO.
I don't see me ever reaching so close to a batteries limits, but, Id still want to have the most kick ass batteries, with respect to power, and safety that I can get.
As long as I know the limitations, I'm good.

Reactions: jae

retrox

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm fortunate to work at a place with an industrial shrink-wrapper. I just toss them on the conveyor belt and they come out the other side good as new (better than new if they're Efests)!

aussie

Bronze Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
Heat shrink from FT works like a charm and is at least as good as what they come with

VU Sponsors