Total Beginner Looking for Help

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times, lol; carrying spares isn't an issue for me. My insulin case goes everywhere with me, and has plenty of room for some spare batteries. :)

If I'm going to go with something that uses removable batteries, it'd probably be a tube mod instead of a box mod. Unless I go with the VAMO V5 Sidewinder, which I admit I really like the look of.

travanx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have 3 Vamos. Never had an issue with them. But the iStick is superior in every way. Its not so much carrying the batteries, its the hassle of carrying extra things. Do you also carry a spare battery for your cellphone? The Vamo won't allow you to charge while driving.

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I wouldn't technically be carrying extra things... The small padded clamshell case that my insulin goes in is with me everywhere I go. When I'm in a store, at work, etc. it's shoved in my back pocket. There's plenty of room inside of it for spare batteries.

The only real hassle would be charging the dead ones every night. How long do they take?

travanx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Someone will probably want to kill me for saying this, but I just leave the mods on the desk charging over night. Not sure how long a full charge takes.

I still think its an extra PITA to switch batteries out.

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, it's not a good idea to leave them charging unattended like that. I wish it was alright to do that though, like it is with smartphones.

Switching them might be a minor inconvenience, but nothing too off-putting. Being able to use a tube mod that isn't obnoxiously large might even be worth that trade-off.

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That's the VAMO V5 with the 18650 in it, right? It'd be way too long to go in my pocket with a tank on it...

The IStick would be a much better size, especially if I buy the bending adapter for it. But, the look of it is just kind of meh. :rolleyes:

I don't suppose I could get you to put the 18350 tube on the V5 and slap an extra tank on it so I can see it next to the IStick? :D

travanx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't think there is a better combo out there, yet. This is an older Vamo but still the same idea. I don't really care what this stuff looks like as long as it works. Remember the Drop is pretty small itself. A full size Kayfun is about the same size as the iStick. If I can find the Nautilus I will put another picture of that one side by side. Not a big fan of those since the leaking issues annoyed me enough to misplace the tank. Might have even thrown it away.

A Kanger aerotank mini is the same height as the Drop but really thin, about the same width as an Ego battery. Just trying to see what else I have sitting around.

Lemo Drop.jpg

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
See, I think that would be relatively pocketable; it'd stick out maybe an inch or so.

I can get the V5, Nautilus Mini and a Nitecore i2 charger off 3avape for $60. That's a little less than the IStick, Nautilus Mini and the bending adapter on My Vapor Store.

Which would you guys suggest? Carrying spare 18350's doesn't bother me, so try not to take that into account.

travanx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You seem pretty stuck on the Vamo for whatever reason. Don't forget the chip in those is different. From what I remember the vape is different. Not noticeable for a newbie, but if you put a tank on another mod you can tell the difference.

Just pull the trigger and be happy, you really can't go wrong with any of the choices given in this thread. Take a look at the DIY ejuice forum for the real fun of vaping.

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Honestly, I'm still deciding. I like the look of the tube mod more than that of a box mod for some reason. I know it shouldn't matter though. :rolleyes:

I've always been a bargain hunter, so I'm browsing different retailers to find the best prices. If I could find a different tube mod that could run off of an 18350 for a good price, I'd be interested. That said, the deal I mentioned above from 3avape for the VAMO V5 seems to be the best I've found so far.

Both the VAMO and the IStick / MVP2 have their pros and cons. The VAMO takes removables meaning I need to have spares charged up; not a huge deal, but something that could be somewhat annoying. The IStick / MVP2 have a built-in battery and would likely last me all day, if not two days; they don't look as good as the VAMO in my eyes though. Also, the IStick can use the bending adapter to be even more compact in my pocket...

Logically I should pick the IStick, but for some reason I'm still kinda stuck between it and the VAMO, lol. :p

-=Rob=-

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
There have been threading issues with the Vamo, if you haven't seen those issues posted. Of course, there have been 510 threading issues with some iSticks as well. I carry an iStick with a Nautilus Mini in my pocket a lot. I have a number of mods and it's my preferred device for carrying in my pocket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
How is that setup all-around? Flavor, vapor density and consistence, battery life, etc?

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Shit. The shipping cost from 3avape is outrageous! That site's a bust.

It's looking more and more like I'm going to be going with the IStick and the Nautilus Mini.

-=Rob=-

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Flavor from the Mini is fine, as good as anything else I've vaped and I have a lot of tanks. Vapor is fine too, not as good as my Lemo or a dripper, but I don't want to carry those around in my pocket. iStick battery life is great for me. I use it a lot everyday and charge it probably twice a week, when it drops to about 50% of fully charged.

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the information, man! That's what I'm leaning towards because it's a great device for the low price, and it's highly portable. I'll probably grab that Bending Adapter for it too so I can make it even smaller in my pocket.

-=Rob=-

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Shit. The shipping cost from 3avape is outrageous! That site's a bust.

It's looking more and more like I'm going to be going with the IStick and the Nautilus Mini.

check prices at http://www.vapenw.com

No, I have no affiliation with them, just have had good results buying from them.

galsvapetoo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My boyfriend and I both love our eleaf istick. It is small and works awesome with the nautilis aspire mini. They come in black blue red and silver. It's a good set up with good flavor. But you are really going to have to find what you like. Check with your local vape shop most vapees are always willing to help another. I am sure they would help you out as well

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
My boyfriend and I both love our eleaf istick. It is small and works awesome with the nautilis aspire mini. They come in black blue red and silver. It's a good set up with good flavor. But you are really going to have to find what you like. Check with your local vape shop most vapees are always willing to help another. I am sure they would help you out as well
Not sure of the vaper density in your locale...but vape meets are a fantastic way to try out other types of kit. Bring your own drip tip and you will find that most of us have NO problem letting you take a pull!

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
check prices at http://www.vapenw.com

No, I have no affiliation with them, just have had good results buying from them.
Alright, I'll check it out! Thanks. :)

Thanks for the information! :)

I thought about visiting the shop that my friend goes to; Natural Vapors. But, I don't have wheels right now so I can't get there; dunno when he'll go there.

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just pulled the trigger! :D

Soon there will be an Eleaf IStick 20W, an Aspire Nautilus Mini and a bottle of Cosmic Fog "Milk and Honey" on the way to me! I got it all for $73.64 shipped via "Flat Rate" from Vape NW, which according to their website is USPS Priority. Sounds like a deal! :D

Thanks to everyone who suffered through my indecisiveness and helped me get to this point. I know I can be a huge pain in the ass when I make these kinds of purchases, and in turn, these kinds of posts on forums that have to do with whatever I'm purchasing or getting into. :p

A big thanks to [USER]-=Rob=-[/USER] for recommending Vape NW to me! :)

I'll post an update once I've received everything and had a chance to try it out. ;)

travanx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good choice on the iStick. Seriously get ready for the juice portion of your adventure, its quite a journey you have embarked on.

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Good choice on the iStick. Seriously get ready for the juice portion of your adventure, its quite a journey you have embarked on.
I'm looking forward to it! I was looking through juices on Giant Vapes and already have a list of some I want to try. :D

This should be a question for a completely different topic, so don't go into too much detail, but is it more or less expensive to make your own juice than it is to buy it?

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's much cheaper to DIY, but the initial set up cost is what bites you in the butt

travanx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Much much cheaper. There is more playing around with it and that's where some expense can come in. You could try find a couple recipes that use similar flavors so you have some variations. If you get into rebuilding juice is your only expense. I am more experimental so I make a lot of not so great things. But my fiance enjoys the stuff that isn't being figured out.

Currently she likes one that is just FA Bananas Foster, VG, PG and Nicotine. Doesn't get easier than that. Steeping using a little dish of water warmed up in the microwave, let the bottle sit for an hour and you are good to go. Once you figure out what flavors you like from the stores then check the DIY section out. I liked fruity flavors at first and went to desserts soon after.

None of this has to be complicated. But what happens is you may realize fine tuning things is worth learning a little bit more and a little bit more and suddenly you have all this stuff to play around with.

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's much cheaper to DIY, but the initial set up cost is what bites you in the butt
Alright, thanks. I'll have to start looking through the DIY Juice section and see what's what. That way, by the time I can afford the startup costs I'll have an idea of what I'm doing. To an extent of course; actual firsthand knowledge and practice will certainly be necessary to improve.

Much much cheaper. There is more playing around with it and that's where some expense can come in. You could try find a couple recipes that use similar flavors so you have some variations. If you get into rebuilding juice is your only expense. I am more experimental so I make a lot of not so great things. But my fiance enjoys the stuff that isn't being figured out.

Currently she likes one that is just FA Bananas Foster, VG, PG and Nicotine. Doesn't get easier than that. Steeping using a little dish of water warmed up in the microwave, let the bottle sit for an hour and you are good to go. Once you figure out what flavors you like from the stores then check the DIY section out. I liked fruity flavors at first and went to desserts soon after.

None of this has to be complicated. But what happens is you may realize fine tuning things is worth learning a little bit more and a little bit more and suddenly you have all this stuff to play around with.
AWESOME! Thanks for the information, man! That'll be the first recipe I try making (minus the Nicotine), since it sounds simple enough. :)

travanx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nicotine is the expensive part of the process, so you are already coming out way ahead. Some flavors on their own are straight out disgusting, so if money is an issue buy small amounts of flavors at first. But buy a large PG and VG bottle since once you go DIY you aren't coming back.

I will add that I am vaping to help me stop drinking, which has worked quite well. And she has stopped smoking now for 3 years. Money was never an issue for her to stop smoking. Another plus which you don't fall under is that since I am mixing the juice I can slowly crank the nicotine down until she eventually gets to 0mg.

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Nicotine is the expensive part of the process, so you are already coming out way ahead. Some flavors on their own are straight out disgusting, so if money is an issue buy small amounts of flavors at first. But buy a large PG and VG bottle since once you go DIY you aren't coming back.

I will add that I am vaping to help me stop drinking, which has worked quite well. And she has stopped smoking now for 3 years. Money was never an issue for her to stop smoking. Another plus which you don't fall under is that since I am mixing the juice I can slowly crank the nicotine down until she eventually gets to 0mg.
Yeah, I briefly looked at the components used to make your own and just kinda stared at the screen when I saw the price of the Nicotine, lol. :eek: I'm glad I'm not hooked on it! ;) :p PG and VG don't look too pricey though, which is good.

If Vaping is helping you to quit drinking, I'm sure it can help me to quit snacking and eating candy so much, which is my intent. I'm glad to hear it's working for you and your wife, man! You'll definitely be healthier once you're clean. Your wallets won't mind either. :D

-=Rob=-

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I just pulled the trigger! :D

Soon there will be an Eleaf IStick 20W, an Aspire Nautilus Mini and a bottle of Cosmic Fog "Milk and Honey" on the way to me! I got it all for $73.64 shipped via "Flat Rate" from Vape NW, which according to their website is USPS Priority. Sounds like a deal! :D

Thanks to everyone who suffered through my indecisiveness and helped me get to this point. I know I can be a huge pain in the ass when I make these kinds of purchases, and in turn, these kinds of posts on forums that have to do with whatever I'm purchasing or getting into. :p

A big thanks to [USER]-=Rob=-[/USER] for recommending Vape NW to me! :)

I'll post an update once I've received everything and had a chance to try it out. ;)

I got quick shipping and good service when I used Vape NW.

Don't be surprised if some of the juice you buy is crap though, much of it is. I never bought juice from Vape NW but bought a lot from lots of places and hated most of it. I DIY now and still buy some, but it took me awhile to find much that I liked. I've probably got 1000 ML of crap juice I'll never vape.

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I got quick shipping and good service when I used Vape NW.

Don't be surprised if some of the juice you buy is crap though, much of it is. I never bought juice from Vape NW but bought a lot from lots of places and hated most of it. I DIY now and still buy some, but it took me awhile to find much that I liked. I've probably got 1000 ML of crap juice I'll never vape.
Yeah, they shipped my order out this afternoon via USPS First Class; they're very quick!

I'm expecting to run into several brands and flavors that I just don't care for; it's always going to be a toss up unless you've tried it before buying it. That said, I made sure that what I bought had tons of positive reviews on Giant Vapes first. Granted that's not a guarantee that I'll like it, it's still good to know. I'll more than likely make short reviews of every flavor that I try, from every brand to try and help other people interested in that same stuff.

D

Donald Bickers

Yeah, I briefly looked at the components used to make your own and just kinda stared at the screen when I saw the price of the Nicotine, lol. :eek: I'm glad I'm not hooked on it! ;) :p PG and VG don't look too pricey though, which is good.

If Vaping is helping you to quit drinking, I'm sure it can help me to quit snacking and eating candy so much, which is my intent. I'm glad to hear it's working for you and your wife, man! You'll definitely be healthier once you're clean. Your wallets won't mind either. :D
what kind of prices are you talking for nicotine,,,i know of several vendors in my opinion with very moderate prices on good quality nicotine .

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
what kind of prices are you talking for nicotine,,,i know of several vendors in my opinion with very moderate prices on good quality nicotine .
I don't remember, lol.

I'm not using Nicotine anyways, as I'm not addicted to it (I don't smoke or anything). I'll be buying juice that doesn't have any in it, and when I start making my own I won't be adding any to it either.

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Wow a way to make the iStick even more compact! I love it. Totally pocketable with this thing. I may have to buy one.
I find that it's actually quite pocketable even without the bending adapter, but I still might pick one up. Apparently with the adapter, the whole thing is small enough to put into an empty cigarette pack.

bigdaddybrink1

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yup, that is going on my list. Since we're on the topic of vape-utillity-type-stuff, allow me to share something @Whiskey found: a really cool bendy-neck lamp with two plug-in spots plus assorted acrylic shelves:

http://www.target.com/p/room-essent.../-/A-14421737?lnk=Rec|pdp|viewed_viewed|pdpv1

$12.99 !!

Pretty cool!!
i have this I like it.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vaultz-Locking-Medicine-Case/28904365

i dont care bout the locking part but it h0lds all my ADV stuff then some. plus it carries coil repair stuff, extra batteries, liquid, atty's
tube mods.
its in the
Pharmacy section with the diabetes stuff.

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Rather than make a new thread, I figured I'd just ask this here...

I've done a bit of searching, but I'm still unclear exactly what parts voltage and watts play in regards to juice. Do they affect the taste or the potency of it? Do higher settings cause you to go through juice faster?

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I am glad for everyone. 1 L of 100% Nic can be had for 50.00 now a days. A L will last me about 2 years, I DIY and vape a lot. Not expensive as Smokes would be! I quit Beer because I don't like it's taste, Now that I can taste. I'm a Wine O now. LOL Getting drunk is for people with nothing else to do. I have noticed hang overs hurt a LOT more. I try to avoid them.

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rather than make a new thread, I figured I'd just ask this here...

I've done a bit of searching, but I'm still unclear exactly what parts voltage and watts play in regards to juice. Do they affect the taste or the potency of it? Do higher settings cause you to go through juice faster?

Drums,

I am unqualified to answer your question in any kind of depth. I'm only giving my little stab at an answer so someone smarter will notice an opportunity to give you a better one. Probably there are loads of people on here who could wax philosophic on the topic with great relish :)

Basically, I think how the vapor & flavor behave when different amounts of power/heat are applied depends at least in part on the type of set-up you have as well as the composition of the juice. I suspect there are a lot of variables ... more than I can think of and more than you probably care to know.

Disclaimers aside, in my experience, higher wattage gives more intense flavor up to a certain point, after which the juice burns and tastes like total crap. You definitely go through more juice when you apply more power, 'cause you're turning the juice into vapor faster. I think airflow is a factor too. More airflow tends to make more vapor AND give better flavor, again up to a certain point, after which you get less flavor. The incoming air keeps the juice burning at an acceptably cool temperature (i.e., turning into vapor and not burning) for longer, hence allowing more vapor to develop.

If you accidentally leave your finger on the fire button of your mod, even at quite low power, you will get a vividly unpleasant example of what one example of "more power" does--in this case, over time but without the cooling effect of airflow.

I think this is one of those things you will just get a feel for as you vape. People usually say to start low and work your way up, and that has worked for me as a general rule. Personally, I haven't felt the need to go above about 10 watts--and the one time I tried it (20 watts on a magma dripper, on which I'd built my very first, sadly deformed--yet somehow functional in a limited sense--coil), the result was horrific. That doesn't mean anything except that i am a beginner.

I'm sure there must be tons of good reasons to vape above 10 watts--reasons that don't have solely to do with my-mod-is-bigger-than-yours type concerns. Right? :)

edit: if you got an iStick, I suggest reading about the oft-noted (and complained about) vagaries of its power output. There is a way to talk about it that involves electrical acronyms--something having to do with something-mean-power vs. some other kind of power. One way to put it, tho, is that it runs a little "hot"--hotter than another device might at the same setting.

Last edited:

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Drums,

I am unqualified to answer your question in any kind of depth. I'm only giving my little stab at an answer so someone smarter will notice an opportunity to give you a better one. Probably there are loads of people on here who could wax philosophic on the topic with great relish :)

Basically, I think how the vapor & flavor behave when different amounts of power/heat are applied depends at least in part on the type of set-up you have as well as the composition of the juice. I suspect there are a lot of variables ... more than I can think of and more than you probably care to know.

Disclaimers aside, in my experience, higher wattage gives more intense flavor up to a certain point, after which the juice burns and tastes like total crap. You definitely go through more juice when you apply more power, 'cause you're turning the juice into vapor faster. I think airflow is a factor too. More airflow tends to make more vapor AND give better flavor, again up to a certain point, after which you get less flavor. The incoming air keeps the juice burning at an acceptably cool temperature (i.e., turning into vapor and not burning) for longer, hence allowing more vapor to develop.

If you accidentally leave your finger on the fire button of your mod, even at quite low power, you will get a vividly unpleasant example of what one example of "more power" does--in this case, over time but without the cooling effect of airflow.

I think this is one of those things you will just get a feel for as you vape. People usually say to start low and work your way up, and that has worked for me as a general rule. Personally, I haven't felt the need to go above about 10 watts--and the one time I tried it (20 watts on a magma dripper, on which I'd built my very first, sadly deformed--yet somehow functional in a limited sense--coil), the result was horrific. That doesn't mean anything except that i am a beginner.

I'm sure there must be tons of good reasons to vape above 10 watts--reasons that don't have solely to do with my-mod-is-bigger-than-yours type concerns. Right? :)

edit: if you got an iStick, I suggest reading about the oft-noted (and complained about) vagaries of its power output. There is a way to talk about it that involves electrical acronyms--something having to do with something-mean-power vs. some other kind of power. One way to put it, tho, is that it runs a little "hot"--hotter than another device might at the same setting.
Thanks for the reply, [USER]lirruping[/USER]!

It makes sense that the more power and airflow you have, the more juice you use. I also know that if the power is too high and/or your airflow is too low, you can actually burn the juice and make it taste absolutely terrible.

I actually also knew that the IStick runs hotter that you'd think it is if you hadn't seen the video review of it that PBusardo made (which I did see). Since the device runs in "mean" mode and not "RMS" mode, it actually runs about a 1 - 1.5 watts higher than what you have it set to.

That being said, what I'm currently doing is starting at the lowest possible wattage I can get on a fully charged battery and hitting it a couple of times to get a sense of the flavor at that level. Then I'm going up in .5 watt increments and doing the same thing to see if it tastes better. It could be that this particular juice just doesn't have much flavor to it ("Milk & Honey" by Cosmic Fog), although the smell of it would suggest otherwise.

travanx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I start by setting the wattage so its hitting at 4.0v and work up/down from there. Who cares what the iStick reads and puts out, just push the buttons until it gets to where you want it.

To the above poster about drinking, my downfall was that I run my own business, so it was a way for me to relax my mind. But I think my body was telling me to just quit it cold turkey, probably like others and smoking.

I am also a sweets eater! I'm not diabetic, but my stepson is so I understand your battle, sort of. I started vaping to quit smoking (which worked btw) and have noticed I also don't eat nearly as many sweets (also a plus seeing as how we have to keep them hidden from the kid). I also want small and compact. After going thru several set ups and WAY to much money I have settled on the iStick 20w with a Kangertech Genitank. I prefer the genitank over the nautilus due to the airflow. There seems to be much better airflow with the genitank and in turn there is better flavor and vapor. Also, I paid $60 for the whole set up. The ability to use the iStick while its charging is also a plus. I don't like having to change batteries and carry them and a charger with me all the time. Hope this helps!

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the reply, [USER]lirruping[/USER]!

It makes sense that the more power and airflow you have, the more juice you use. I also know that if the power is too high and/or your airflow is too low, you can actually burn the juice and make it taste absolutely terrible.

I actually also knew that the IStick runs hotter that you'd think it is if you hadn't seen the video review of it that PBusardo made (which I did see). Since the device runs in "mean" mode and not "RMS" mode, it actually runs about a 1 - 1.5 watts higher than what you have it set to.

That being said, what I'm currently doing is starting at the lowest possible wattage I can get on a fully charged battery and hitting it a couple of times to get a sense of the flavor at that level. Then I'm going up in .5 watt increments and doing the same thing to see if it tastes better. It could be that this particular juice just doesn't have much flavor to it ("Milk & Honey" by Cosmic Fog), although the smell of it would suggest otherwise.

Drums: It sounds like you know at least as much as me about this stuff! You should consider re-asking your question in a more techie-specific area of the forum & maybe get some useful info. Also, I bet some of the DIY'ers on here are as well-informed as anyone anywhere on health & safety issues around heating e-juice, so that is another place you might toss a question.

Earlier today, I came across this information about a study that

"Dr Konstantinos Farsalinos, a well-known and respected researcher on electronic cigarettes safety/risk profile" is getting started on after having recently accumulated enough money through crowd-funding to begin. I think it's completely AWESOME and EXCELLENT that the vaping community is on top of things enough to start getting this research done instead of waiting for giant corporations and/or the government to do it. As the conversation about regulation continues, it will be very empowering to have peer-reviewed research whose outcomes are not suspect because of the funding. It may give vapers and vape-business-owners a voice and a fighting chance.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/e-cigarette-research-temperature-of-evaporation

I didn't see the PBusardo review you mention, but I'm unable to stream any video due to an extremely evil metered data plan courtesy Virgin Mobile--which is the only plan I can get for internet in my area ATM, and which i feel compelled to take every opportunity to complain about. (It's a coping mechanism). So I never get to see ANY videos and it's so damned unfair and horrible... Sorry, I can't help myself. Feel free to insert "First World Problems" meme here :)

Citizen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Do you have any shops near by? I would recommend stopping by a shop. Be up front and tell them that you're merely scoping things out at this point but would like to physically check out various set-ups, in hand before making a decision. If they're cool people that genuinely want you to be satisfied (maybe I'm just spoiled by my local B&M, some of the nicest people I've ever met) or if they really want your business down the road, they will gladly help you out. I just say this because it seems like right now the physical dimensions of the device are a very important thing to you, which is not a bad thing. There's nothing worse than being unhappy with a rig. Just a thought. Regardless, whatever you choose I hope it makes you happy and that it helps you to curb those cravings and ultimately live a healthier life. You started in the right place. This is the most helpful group of folks I have come across in any forum. Good luck my friend.

Uber300

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the information!

I did some looking around after you said a VAMO could be had for $20-$25 and found them on Fast Tech for that price. Over on My Vapor Store where I've been looking this whole time they're $50-$55! :eek:

I'm now considering getting a VAMO V5, an Aspire Nautilus Mini, the Nitecore i4 charger, and 4-5 18350 batteries for right around $100! I did the math and the build would come out to be about 7-1/8" long, which wouldn't be too bad in my pocket; I tested it by cutting a busted drum stick to that size.

I'm not sure what to get, honestly. VAMO, IStick, MVP20W... :confused:
I quit reading around this point, but stacking batteries(Vamo 2 18350's) is not safe. THe iStick is alright, don't own one, but own 3 MPV's and the 20watt with the Mini Nautilus cannot be beat. The MVP is close to indestructible and it's got hell of battery life. if you get more involved with vaping you can put a lot of stuff on an MVP, unlike the iStick, it will run a .8 ohm coil. My 2 cents. Good Luck!!!!! and welcome to VU. Or you can wait and get this awesome device http://www.tasteyourjuice.com/wordpress/2015/01/05/the-innokin-mvp-3-first-look/

Last edited:

VU Sponsors