Become a Patron!

Total newbie question

I'm sure this is a ridiculous question. . . but I'm not 100% about it. I have the EVOD starter kit. I totally love it. But I am going through coils pretty quickly. I go through about 1 every 1 1/2 weeks. Is this normal? I have been told that most people go through 1 about every 3 weeks. I know that I hit this thing a lot, but not much more than other people I see with them. I used to have my coil twisted in pretty tight, but then a guy at the vape shop told me that it should be screwed in hand tight, that it should take almost no effort to take it out. I have been doing this, and I have noticed that when I go to fill up again, the coil might even be loosened more, like there is room to tighten it further. Could this be why I am going through coils so quickly? It's not really that big of a deal right now, its still insanely cheaper than smoking regular cigs, I just want to make sure I'm not hurting my battery or anything. I apologize if this is a stupid question, I just thought this might be the place to ask. Seems like there is a lot of good info here and a lot of knowledge to be shared.

Any input will be appreciated. Thanks everyone!

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
No such thing as a stupid question here.

You should always just finger tighten whatever it is that you are tightening.

And the coils can come loose when you open your Evods for filling so you just need to finger tighten them again when you are done.

AND the content of the E-Liquids you are using can affect the life of your coils.

A high VG content will gunk them up pretty quick. And some flavors like Tobacco, Chocolate and Coffee will do a number on them as well.

All of that being said, if you are vaping a lot, a week and a half is not a bad life for your coils.

Awesome. That's great news. I do vape a lot, and I love the coffee flavors. Along with some Walnut and Vanilla flavors as well. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't doing this wrong and that it wasn't out of the ordinary to go through them quickly like that. I'm sure it won't be long until I move up to some of the more sophisticated hardware. It just seems a little overwhelming to me right now. There are a lot of choices out there. I need to learn a little more before I start diving in. I appreciate the response. Thanks!

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Awesome. That's great news. I do vape a lot, and I love the coffee flavors. Along with some Walnut and Vanilla flavors as well. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't doing this wrong and that it wasn't out of the ordinary to go through them quickly like that. I'm sure it won't be long until I move up to some of the more sophisticated hardware. It just seems a little overwhelming to me right now. There are a lot of choices out there. I need to learn a little more before I start diving in. I appreciate the response. Thanks!

Not a problem, we were all new to this once.

Just take your time evolving and get to know the gear you have.

And when the time comes to explore new toys, you will have some experience to draw on when choosing your next step>

The Ocelot

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Another factor affecting the performance is that Kanger improved the Protank/EVOD heads. Edward@Sun Vapers who was involved in the original design of the Protank has a disclaimer about it on the product page:

"Kanger has recently improved the design of the Kanger Protank heads, as a result the resistance may rest a little higher than usual. If it works vape it. No exchanges or refunds.

THIS IMPROVEMENT ALSO MAKES THEM RESISTANT TO BURNING BUT LESS DURABLE WE ARE SORRY BUT THERE IS NOTHING WE CAN DO. THIS IS AN ACROSS THE BOARD CHANGE. THANKS" [His caps, not mine]

http://www.sun-vapers.com/buy/kanger-protank-heads-in-1-8-or-2-5-ohms-5-pack/ One nice thing is that he sells a 5-pack for $5.79.

Warhawk-AVG

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Vaping technique also plays a large part, and the juice too, puff puff puffing on it rather than a long hard draw like from an analog helps keep the wick soaking up juice, and thicker darker juices gunk up the coils faster

You can rebuild your coils (protank/EVOD) style coils pretty easily

Damwow

Vapor's Dream
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm sure this is a ridiculous question. . . but I'm not 100% about it. I have the EVOD starter kit. I totally love it. But I am going through coils pretty quickly. I go through about 1 every 1 1/2 weeks. Is this normal? I have been told that most people go through 1 about every 3 weeks. I know that I hit this thing a lot, but not much more than other people I see with them. I used to have my coil twisted in pretty tight, but then a guy at the vape shop told me that it should be screwed in hand tight, that it should take almost no effort to take it out. I have been doing this, and I have noticed that when I go to fill up again, the coil might even be loosened more, like there is room to tighten it further. Could this be why I am going through coils so quickly? It's not really that big of a deal right now, its still insanely cheaper than smoking regular cigs, I just want to make sure I'm not hurting my battery or anything. I apologize if this is a stupid question, I just thought this might be the place to ask. Seems like there is a lot of good info here and a lot of knowledge to be shared.

Any input will be appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Again there is no such thing as a ridiculous question, and for the most part everyone here is absolutely wonderful and very eager to help! I have been vaping about 5 months and in the beginning it was like a babies pacifier to me, I sucked on that thing a lot. I did find when I started using the variable wattage device like the itaste vv3 then the Mvp2 I was able to get more satisfying hits. That and with time, and lowering my nic level I didn't hit it as much and the coils started lasting longer. I have to agree with the others to that the juice has a lot to do with it.

Another thing is, if where you are purchasing coils gets them from someplace like say Fastech, the coils may not be of the best quality. Recently I tried the iclear 30s coils from there. While I saved money, I do get one every now and then that only lasts a couple of days and it burns out. Compared to what I was paying for them, they are still worth it.

Just my 2 cents! Congrats on the switch from smoking to vaping! I hope you find it as enjoyable as I have. I have met some great people thru vaping, can't say the same for smoking!

Last edited:

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Before I started rebuilding my kanger coils, I found the pre built coils to be fairly inconsistent. Some would last me 2 weeks, others less than 24 hours (these may be better now). I highly recommend trying to rebuild them; it's pretty easy, way more cost effective and once you master it, your coils will be much better than stock.

VU Sponsors