Become a Patron!

Total Newbie with Total Newbie questions :)

AkitaBecky

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi everyone! So. I've been toying with the idea for a while, but took the plunge and decided to switch from smoking to vaping last Friday. I bought the Kanger Evod Mega starter kit from a local vaping shop. It's going pretty well so far - haven't smoked a cigarette since Friday, but have been puffing on this thing like a train.

So! Here's my newbie question. I sometimes get a satisfying "throat feeling" from it (I can't think exactly how to explain it, but former smokers probably know what I mean?) but sometimes I don't. It seems to help to hold the button down for a couple seconds and let it heat up, but not always. Today, it's been harder to do that and I haven't always "felt" it much - which can be kind of unpleasantly frustrating.

A friend suggested I might need to go with a higher nicotine level, but they started me at 12, which seems plenty high enough? I was a pack-a-day smoker; Camel blues if it matters. I've already killed more then half of this 30 ml bottle since Friday, so I don't want to up the dosage and make myself sick.

What do you think, experts?

Thank you!!

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
For that equipment, 12mg might be too low. Try 18mg. That will give you more throat hit and you won't need to chain vape as much to get the nic fix. I started with similar gear and 18mg. Worked well.

Congrats on quitting smoking and welcome to the forum and the world of vaping. :)

shaunnadan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
hey @AkitaBecky congrats on giving up the stinkies and joining the group :)

that throat hit is something all of us vapers never forget. another suggestion instead of increasing your nicotine is to up the PG ratio of your liquid. this may sound like a bit of mad science chemistry but its definitely worth consideration......

so here is the basics: e liquid is made up of VG (vegetable glycerin) PG (propylene Glycol) nicotine and flavouring.

VG = clouds
PG = throat hit and flavour

if you were to goto your local pharmacy your can get a bottle of PG which is super cheap and add a small bit to your juices. this will increase the throat hit and your wouldnt need to increase your nic. start of small and add a few mil at a time till you find something you like.

the reason i mention this is because i had to do the exact opposite , lol

i found the throat hit too much so i started to dilute my juices towards having more VG. now i prefer to vape only higher VG juices.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
What is the PG/VG ratio of your liquid?

I am guessing 50/50. In additon to upping your nic, you may want to up your PG to a 60/40 blend.

AkitaBecky

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am not sure about the PG/VG ratio in this liquid...the bottle doesn't break those percentages out (just lists both as ingredients), and I didn't know to ask that question. If I do add PG, should I just use an eyedropper and start with a couple drops in the bottle? I'm not sure how "potent" the stuff is.

Thanks for your patience with my total newbie-ness, guys :)

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I suspect you need a slightly higher nic level. Adding PG will just dilute the flavor and the nic level - which as a newcomer to vaping is (I would think) the last thing you need! I'd get a bottle of 18mg and try that before doing anything else.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I agree with getting an 18mg bottle and possibly in a bit higher pg ratio. With that said, if you start feeling queasy or light headed, either slow down on chain vaping with 18mg, or alternate with the 12mg you already have. It happens, but can be avoided, too. Stay hydrated, too. Vaping can keep ya thirsty.

Welcome to VU and thanks for posting!

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I am not sure about the PG/VG ratio in this liquid...the bottle doesn't break those percentages out (just lists both as ingredients), and I didn't know to ask that question. If I do add PG, should I just use an eyedropper and start with a couple drops in the bottle? I'm not sure how "potent" the stuff is.

Thanks for your patience with my total newbie-ness, guys :)

Remember, you are new.

This is not the time for you to start tinkering with your own E-Liquids!

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@AkitaBecky .... Congrats on making the switch and welcome to VU! hope you stick around awhile and check the place out, we're loaded with friendly people and pleaty of mad science vaping knowledge :D

Well it's true that there is a lot to vaping....and a lot to learn depending on how far you go into making into a hobby and part of your lifestyle as apposed to simply an alternative to smoking you're just starting out and the last thing you want to do is overcomplicate things and make it difficult to enjoy as you're making the transition from smoking to vaping....well it's helped many of us quit analogs, you still have to want to quit and make the switch...the only thing the two have in common is you're inhaling something and most of the time it contains nicotine :)

As you're just starting out I wouldn't break out the science kit just yet mixing in base PG or VG to change your throat hit or ratio just yet. Adding plain PG or VG to a juice, even in small amounts, can seriously dilute or even kill the flavor of an e-liquid making it unenjoyable and once you've done it you can't undo it.

As a new vapor I would find a local vape shop that has a sampling bar...most vape shops do. They'll have most of their main juice for sale preloaded in a bunch of cheap clearomizers on a rack with removable disposable tips so you can try many different flavors without sharing someone else's germs :) I would pick out two or three flavors you like and get a small bottle of both the 12mg mic you're using now as well as an 18mg nic and take them home and try them both. That way if the 12 is too weak or you feel like you're going threw it faster than you'd like you can use the 18 mg and vape less to get the same amount of nic. If the 18 is too strong then you can mix the two together to get a nick level somewhere in the middle without any flavor loss.

Once you've figured out what a good nic level for you is then you can really start exploring the wonderful world of flavors available...it seems like everyone and their mother has a juice line these days and in time you may learn to mix your own as many of us do for various reasons...but I wouldn't rush into mixing just yet or anything else...Vaping is a personal journey....baby steps :)

Read up as much as you can and watch as many youtube reviews on anything before you buy anything else to make sure you're stepping up in the right direction and don't think you have to buy more gear right away....new things come out so fast in the vape world that it would make your head spin. Take your time with everything to make sure it's the right fit for you. Vaping is a very personal thing and just because I like something doesn't mean you will. Most of all, relax and enjoy it. Happy vaping and hope this helps...Take care :)

AkitaBecky

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks so much so for the welcomes and all of the information! I bought a bottle of 18 ml and it seems to be helping - I still don't always get the throat hit I would like, but I'm sticking with it and haven't smoked. I'm mostly experimenting with different ways of inhaling it. I think it just need to get used to it.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
congrats, and just keep exploring you will find a vape that works for you....we all have diffrent tastes and there are bunches of them.

Kent B Marshall

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Congrats
When I started, I was chasing throat hit. Higher pg and higher nicotine(24mg) achieved this to some extent. It was difficult to train myself that this will never hit like a cigarette. This took my pea brain about 3 months. I was determined to continue vaping because I was able to get the nicotine I needed. Flavor saved the day.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks so much so for the welcomes and all of the information! I bought a bottle of 18 ml and it seems to be helping - I still don't always get the throat hit I would like, but I'm sticking with it and haven't smoked. I'm mostly experimenting with different ways of inhaling it. I think it just need to get used to it.

I am glad that it helps a little and congrats on sticking with it and I hope this is just the beginning of a long vaping journey for you....even though vaping you're still inhaling vapor about the only real simularity vaping and smoking have is you're inhaling and exhaling something and sometimes e-liquid has nicotine, you still have to want to make the switch and I think in time you'll find that not only is vaping more enjoyable than analogs, but you'll start to wonder how you ever enjoyed analogs in the first place....I've noticed this with a few others on here as well as myself. In the meantime, remember this is a personal journey as well and you only have to take it in strides you feel comfortable with....there's nothing saying that you started vaping and now you must enjoy whatever you're vaping this minute...it takes time to find the perfect vape for yourself and your tastes may change in time as many of ours did as well.

Just take it one day at a time and keep looking for that perfect vape...now that you've experimented with different nic levels a bit and have a better idea you have an idea to go from there...maybe it will be higher wattages for you, maybe even mixing up to a 20mg nic level for a little while, or more PG in the beginning and more VG later...don't be afraid to explore as much as you're able to in the beginning. There's a reason why there's a thousand different variations of liquid and hundreds of different things to vape it with...customization and personalization is key. Happy vaping and enjoy! :)

AkitaBecky

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Still cigarette free! :)

I have come up with another question, though - is it normal for pale liquid to go brownish in the glass tank? I know the coil isn't bad. I usually go through through approx 3 tanks daily, so it's not super old. Is this anything to be concerned about?

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I have come up with another question, though - is it normal for pale liquid to go brownish in the glass tank? I know the coil isn't bad. I usually go through through approx 3 tanks daily, so it's not super old. Is this anything to be concerned about?
nicotine will change color as it oxidizes ....

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
As your tastebuds come back to life, you will experience all kinds of flavors when you vape. If all of a sudden your eliquid loses flavor, it's a symptom of "vapers tongue" Not to worry, it will reverse itself in a short time. I believe it's happened to all of us at one time or another.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

No. If the eliquid begins to taste funky, then give the tank a rinse. Darkening of eliquid occurs with heat and oxidation. It's normal.

raqball

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Congrats on not smoking since Friday! Yay for you!!!!!!! :)

As has been said try upping the nic to 18 and try that. When I 1st started vaping I was at 24 trying to get a good throat hit..

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

no, it's normal, especially if it's a "sugary" or "sweet flavoring". Like was said above, as nicotine oxidizes it can change the color of the liquid....sometimes it turns brown, sometimes pink or red, the more the nic the darker the color. Also, in addition to oxidation...sometimes especially with clearomizers you get "cooked" juice in your tank...that is juice that didn't completely vaporize but was warmed up or burnt...it can change the taste slightly of the liquid but it's not bad, just...um...I am super tired and should not be giving out advice right now....um...reconstituted....not the best word but it will do for the moment...I will return when I remember what I was trying to remember what I am trying to think of :D

FlavoVape

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Congratulations on quitting! I quit on 1-1-2015! The juice maker or vape shop should be able to tell you the ratio of VG/PG. I smoked a little more than a pack per day and started off at 24mg or 2.4% nic level. When I switched to my sub ohm setup I dropped nic level to 6mg and was fine. I now cape 3mg which is the lowest available with the next step down being 0 nicotine. 18mg is the standard I hear everyone recommend but it wasn't enough for me when I first quit. Hope this helps...but I will say I am not a big fan of throat hit so I like higher VG juices.

VU Sponsors