Become a Patron!

TOTALLY discouraged with building

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's only a vocabulary issue if you are Leftist who wants to cloud and obscure the question at hand by changing the language used to suit your political agenda, and that's what you are. Stuff your Leftist rhetoric buddy!

By the way, it pleases me to extend to you a warm and cordial welcome to my ignore list. Best of luck to you!

Give it a break...you're boring and annoying. You've stated your point many times and you're not winning anyone over. You resort to insulting basically half the people on this forum in an attempt to justify your point. You are no different than those you are insulting...the vocal, insistent minority of people who make up the group who are Idiots and Assholes.

It's time to go away and find someone sympathetic to your beliefs.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If it helps at all, I've only been building a couple of months. I figure for every "decent" coil I've made I've botched at least 3. It's a learning curve we all go through. Good thing wire and cotton is cheap.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
If it helps at all, I've only been building a couple of months. I figure for every "decent" coil I've made I've botched at least 3. It's a learning curve we all go through. Good thing wire and cotton is cheap.
lol I buy my wire on 250 foot spools. Planning on ordering another1750 feet (but 1000 of that is ss for wrapping) $8 for 30 feet or 19.00 for 250 feet.. no brainer.

One day, I expect I will have to call the wife over to cut me loose from a coil gone wrong.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
She/he left because we are all leftists assholes

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

To be fair firebird she was onto something there apparently 75% of men have their penis hanging to the left in their pants. 17% have their penis hanging to the right and 8% let it hang either way.

Can't fight nature baby! ;)

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Seems some folks haven't read the charter for this particular sub-forum.
NEW Builders Corner
General discussion question and answer on new builders. This area is great for avoiding the difficult builds and mastering the basics that will let you grow and expand. Please keep pissing matches, dick measuring contests and call outs out of this one.

Back OT, @two2wheels did you get your questions answered? If you have some more, ask away. BTW, I'm a shaky handed, half blind old fart who builds all his own coils. We will get you going.

two2wheels

Member For 4 Years
Start at low power and work your way up. Tune the coil without wick or juice (get it glowing from mid coil to outer)
asking new coil? Make sure your wire contacts are tight, the steel sleeve is properly in place, and that the coil is screwed in snug and correctly. Removing the atomizer, press fire, put atty back should force a new atty read.
All this is trouble shooting. You will just automatically do it as you learn what to look for next time.
Once you install the wick, trim just at the top of the steel sleeve, poke it down to cover the holes, prime holes and coil with a few drops, then DO NOT adjust the wick. It is as good as it will ever be and moving it only makes it worse. (unless you just need to clear the edges off the airflow... gently)
Also... always make sure the coil doesn't touch the top cap of the RBA, you will get a short.
AND as I already mentioned always start with your power turned down and work your way up. You can't unburn a wick but you can prevent burning in the first place.
gbalkam, Kingpin, gopher_byrd and EVERYONE ELSE on VU who have been so helpful. I followed everyone's advice, made myself a coil from 26 ga SS wire, 6 wraps @2.5mm slightly spaced, attached it (not touching anything), tested it (lovely), wicked it up (snug but not tight), juiced it up....etc. Vaping it right now and it's really good! It really wasn't that difficult, either.
Now I'm looking for a decent RTA to buy. I know several of you suggested an RDA but I prefer a little more juice capacity. There's probably a different forum for that, so I'll be getting y'all's advice there.
:)
Just wanted to post my success & give a big shout out to y'all.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
gbalkam, Kingpin, gopher_byrd and EVERYONE ELSE on VU who have been so helpful. I followed everyone's advice, made myself a coil from 26 ga SS wire, 6 wraps @2.5mm slightly spaced, attached it (not touching anything), tested it (lovely), wicked it up (snug but not tight), juiced it up....etc. Vaping it right now and it's really good! It really wasn't that difficult, either.
Now I'm looking for a decent RTA to buy. I know several of you suggested an RDA but I prefer a little more juice capacity. There's probably a different forum for that, so I'll be getting y'all's advice there.
Congratulations!

Several rtas to choose from...
If you are looking at options Take a look at the Cthulhu mtl, it's easy to build on and coming in stock it will work as a resistive lung hitter. If you wanted a tighter draw, it has airflow reducers that will screw in under the coil.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Congratulations!

Several rtas to choose from...
If you are looking at options Take a look at the Cthulhu mtl, it's easy to build on and coming in stock it will work as a resistive lung hitter. If you wanted a tighter draw, it has airflow reducers that will screw in under the coil.

I'm going to throw a shout out for the iJoy EXO RTA. Single or Dual coil RTA with MTL air pin. Two glass pieces for less or more juice. I feel this RTA will grow well for a beginner and take them to the next stage. Oh, and damn good flavor output as well.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

Excellent really pleased it went well for you if you want to at some point try say a clapton coil there are plenty of how to threads on that ...flavour is even better, having said that a lot of the members use simple coils like this and are perfectly happy as well, there really is nothing like doing it all yourself either way

Now...which RDA / RTA to get now that could get feisty hehe I vote for the Augvape Boreas dual coil..can try Aromamizer Supreme similar easier to refill without it leaking some refer to these as RDTA tanks to me they are RTA though ... Also Oumier White Bone Mini for single coil or Augvape Merlin mini

Not used a dripper yet personally prefer Genesis or RDTA style tanks best of both worlds for me on that front

Last edited:

GKG2017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I can make a recommendation on what RTA not to buy. Don't buy the Wismec Theorem Atomizer. It has top loading air flow and sucks all the flavor out. The glass it comes with is bad too. First time I tried taking it off it broke.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Aromamizer Supreme
I now have THREE of these bad boys and LOVE them! Dual coil setup, not MTL though, so I wouldn't recommend them to a beginner --- yet ---
Hella flavor though ...

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Was MTL a requirement? All of my recommendations above are direct lung

Nychevy

Member For 4 Years
I have many Kangertech subs, don't get discouraged. They are easy to build on once you get the hang of it, check out you tube and do the wicking just like they do about 1/4 of wick on both side of coil maybe a little less, and if you, like you said are "dry firing"" with good results and you are getting dry hits and burnt because you have watts too high, those coils that come with the kit ARE NOT SS, and can only handle about 25 to 30 watts, you should have a good glow at 20 watts in one second. Also make sure the rba center pin is clean and dry before you screw it in air flow control base, some times juice will get in between that connection when you take it on and off the mod. The sub mini performs at its best with a Clapton coil 26/32 (don't go any larger, you will not get it to screw down) 5 wrap 2.5 dia coil, vape at no more than 40 watts or 450-500 deg for SS coil, you will have a great taste good cloud and will enjoy it!

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I started rebuilding that rba with the premade wrapped coil. I still have both I think in a baggie. (also the 2 factory made coils.. lol)
Coil wrapping and rebuilding are 2 different animals.

Here is my newest build on that tank.. 32ga SS, 3 strand parallel, 7 wraps, 3.0 mm id. (had to use 3x reading glasses to do it. lol)

21 total wraps.. just think of the cloud coming off that thing. :)

View attachment 75758
Kanger TopTank Mini with mini rba (included with tank)
has a 3ml juice capacity.

* I used 32ga stainless steel wire *

Last edited:

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Was MTL a requirement? All of my recommendations above are direct lung
cut down the air flow, lower power to compensate and a small bore tip and you can M2L damn near anything. :)

USMCotaku

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Look into some RDTA's, they generally have a larger, easier build deck, with a tank underneath your wicking goes into.
The limitless line by iJoy is fairly popular, large airflow for big lung hits.

USMCotaku

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
another popular, easy to build, just about impossible to make leak, is the OBS Engine

BPROSEK

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
[Boreas or womanizer supreme or plus!QUOTE="ej1024, post: 1609751, member: 4933"]OMG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
To be fair firebird she was onto something there apparently 75% of men have their penis hanging to the left in their pants. 17% have their penis hanging to the right and 8% let it hang either way.

Can't fight nature baby! ;)
I dont have to worry about it.... It's cold here in Canada.

allanworks

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
there a couple issues this could be check to see if the coils are sticking out to far and touching the housing or eachother if they are correct it, second hot spots fire it up with no cotton when it glows it should radiate from the center outwards on both coils if you see a spot that looks hotter stop pressing button and rake your tweezers across that area and try again, third to much cotton can cause burnt flavor and scorching of coils cotton should not bind when being slid into place it should slide easily but still fill the gap. hope this helped.

bfrisky

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Using someone else's coils makes him less knowledgeable about his equipment than he needs to be, hence his dilemma and frustration. If you are going to build you need to know every aspect of it and do it all yourself, from winding coils by hand and wicking with appropriate materials. Shortcuts yield only frustrations and posts like the first in the thread. In my experience you need to work it hard from the start to get it right in coiling, wicking and resistance. It's when you include someone else's work in your vape that you get problems. Do your own work and you KNOW what you have.
I don't have any issue with your efforts to get a good vape, just with your calling it "building" which it's not. I've been building gennies for 4 years now, and it's not about using someone else's pre-made coils, stuffing cotton in them, and getting bad results.

In my experience building is hand winding your own coils, making your own wicks, installing them right, and getting good results because you know what you are doing. That's NOT what you posted about doing.
As a newbie both to vaping and to the forum you seem a bit intense. Most of us are here to learn and not be spoken to as if we are complete idiots. TEACH people terminology, techniques and maybe share best practices that is what is helpfull. Simply stating that some one is wrong is not.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
As a newbie both to vaping and to the forum you seem a bit intense. Most of us are here to learn and not be spoken to as if we are complete idiots. TEACH people terminology, techniques and maybe share best practices that is what is helpfull. Simply stating that some one is wrong is not.

Agree all the way :)

bfrisky

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Once again, I turn to the vaping underground community for help.
So, I decided it's time to learn building. I started with the RBA that came with my Kagertech topbox mini kit. It already came with a nifty coil pre-installed. Wicked it up, and voila! NASTY burnt taste. Rewicked and got a few decent hits, after which the coil wire itself burnt up.
But, NP, the kit comes with a second coil. Struggled to get that sucker to sit right, wicked it up and, soaked it like a wet T-shirt contestant.....burnt taste. Took it apart, rewicked, working great....for 10 minutes. After that, the mod kept asking me if I had a new coil every time I hit the fire button. Said yes, said no, removed & reinstalled battery, turned it off, then on, said yes, said no.....I get ONE hit before it flashes .99 ohms.
The manual lists the RBA coil as SS, so mode isn't the issue.
Anybody have a clue?
Not sure about your mod as I am new to this myself. However, I did find that I'm not a fan of the premadr coils that come with things. I much prefer my own coils. As to the wicking, it's the devil! Too much=dry hit. Too little=dry hit. I found the Scottish roll to be the best, haven't had a dry hut since I started using that. Only downside to it, you use a lot of cotton. But I figure until I get more effective I'll stick with it.

BlairTheMaori

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Doesn't matter the Leftists rule all the online forums. They planned it that way to shut us all up. Post conservatives only and they will delete your posts. I expect to be banned shortly as we have all seen the hate and violence of the Left online and in the media.
I dont understand where all this leftist BS is comming from. We dont hate you coz we're leftist. We hate you coz you're a unfriendly, unhelpful, up yourself, grammar nazi bitch lol. You said ur only issue was that they used the term "building", then said, "In my experience building is hand winding your own coils, making your own wicks, installing them right," but gave no advice for two-wheels on how to do any of that. Why would you even comment on the post at all? especially if were all leftists anyway?

Calikid

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, another newbie mistake I made- keeping the wattage on too high a setting.

2wheels I notice that sometimes on my different RDA's that if I go to 50W I will get a burn taste but if I kick it down a few watts it's good. Mainly on the Kangertech Protank 4 series it does that but my Lemo3 does not do it even if I run it up to 60 watts. Just my 2 cents. Welcome to the forum and building. I just started myself a month or so ago.

two2wheels

Member For 4 Years
Hey, VU-ers
Thought I'd update y'all, if anyone cares.
Building is coming along with patience. I am still using plain round wire but have experimented with twisting which, so far, not getting great results. I bought a SS wire "package" where too many of the ggs are too thin but you live and learn. Even multi-ply twisted wire seems to break too easily. Still using the 26 gg kanthal as my go-to.
It seems one must just keep experimenting to find the sweet spot, which I will continue to do.
Again, thanks to all for the encouragement & good advice. I ended up buying an OBS Engine mini AND an iJoy Combo. Happy with both, although I prefer the OBS.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hey, VU-ers
Thought I'd update y'all, if anyone cares.
Building is coming along with patience. I am still using plain round wire but have experimented with twisting which, so far, not getting great results. I bought a SS wire "package" where too many of the ggs are too thin but you live and learn. Even multi-ply twisted wire seems to break too easily. Still using the 26 gg kanthal as my go-to.
It seems one must just keep experimenting to find the sweet spot, which I will continue to do.
Again, thanks to all for the encouragement & good advice. I ended up buying an OBS Engine mini AND an iJoy Combo. Happy with both, although I prefer the OBS.
I've never used anything but kanthal. Don't know why. I guess I figure, I like how everything vapes, I get good flavor and good results. I still only do plain old simple coils like I've always done. It ain't broke, I ain't got nothin' to fix :D

Mr RELENTLESS

Member For 3 Years
I've never used anything but kanthal. Don't know why. I guess I figure, I like how everything vapes, I get good flavor and good results. I still only do plain old simple coils like I've always done. It ain't broke, I ain't got nothin' to fix :D

Don't give up that's an order! lol I was a Squad Leader of a Maritime Security Response Team in the Military we ran counter terrorism an drug in interdiction. Seriously tho don't give up. Get a good mod for temp control and try some SS316L that's all I vape is stainless steel. It can b Vaped in both temp control and power/wattage mode. It has a lower resistance than kanthal by nature by taste better, last longer, and temp control is lovely if the mod is decent. Use TCR of 88-92 depending on your ohms. Get a coil master V4 jig and a spool of premade wire like Staggered Fused Clapton wire and do about 6 wraps at 3-3.5mm ID. ohms will b fine. I'm a single coil guy myself OBS Engine Nano all day everyday with either my Smok Xcube Ultra or Mini, or Joyetech Evic Primo 2.0 or Evic Vtwo. Temp control is great on all those devices. Seriously it's actually easy once you get it down. I recommend get an OBS Engine Nano it's fool proof and 100% LEAKPROOF. It's impossible to wick wrong the RTA is a dream. Google em an see what you can get. I highly recommend a Geekvape 521 tab mini also building on your mod just wastes your 510 threads when dry firing. Any questions reply I'm glad to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Don't give up that's an order! lol I was a Squad Leader of a Maritime Security Response Team in the Military we ran counter terrorism an drug in interdiction. Seriously tho don't give up. Get a good mod for temp control and try some SS316L that's all I vape is stainless steel. It can b Vaped in both temp control and power/wattage mode. It has a lower resistance than kanthal by nature by taste better, last longer, and temp control is lovely if the mod is decent. Use TCR of 88-92 depending on your ohms. Get a coil master V4 jig and a spool of premade wire like Staggered Fused Clapton wire and do about 6 wraps at 3-3.5mm ID. ohms will b fine. I'm a single coil guy myself OBS Engine Nano all day everyday with either my Smok Xcube Ultra or Mini, or Joyetech Evic Primo 2.0 or Evic Vtwo. Temp control is great on all those devices. Seriously it's actually easy once you get it down. I recommend get an OBS Engine Nano it's fool proof and 100% LEAKPROOF. It's impossible to wick wrong the RTA is a dream. Google em an see what you can get. I highly recommend a Geekvape 521 tab mini also building on your mod just wastes your 510 threads when dry firing. Any questions reply I'm glad to help.

I've tried temp control, I've tried coils of SS, pretty much every mod I have does TC. I'm just not all that impressed with it. I've been happy with the ones I've been vaping, for the last few years. Believe me, everyone has sung to me their praises of SS wire, and while I'm glad it suits so many and keeps them happily vaping, I'm happy just the same.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I've tried temp control, I've tried coils of SS, pretty much every mod I have does TC. I'm just not all that impressed with it. I've been happy with the ones I've been vaping, for the last few years. Believe me, everyone has sung to me their praises of SS wire, and while I'm glad it suits so many and keeps them happily vaping, I'm happy just the same.

I'm the same Huck prefer kanthal and NI80 myself

two2wheels

Member For 4 Years

I have 4 (different) mods, all regulated with VW/TC & 6 tanks but only 2 of them are RTAs. Yeah, OBS is great, no leaks (I have the mini) . Easy to set up.
Hardly ever use the SMOK T80 mod, it's like a brick. It's the one I use as a "loaner" for friends who want to give vaping a try. The TFV4 it came with gives a tasteless vape, so it usually pairs with a Kanger tank, a few stock coils and a leak warning.

I just picked up a Livepor Yosta 160 mod, uses 2 18650's. It's all plastic but doesn't look or feel too god-awful cheap, no rattles and lightweight/ergonomic even with 2 batteries. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants more wattage but (like me) has little hands & a weak grip. Under $35 too!
Here's a question for y'all-How the heck do people vape at 90-120 watts? The guys in video reviews are always vaping in the stratosphere, but why?
I NEVER go over 45 watts no matter what build or juice (3mg/ml nic) I have in the tank. It gets too hot and chokes me out. Consequently, I tend to keep my ohms to a little higher resistance, 0.4 and above bc lower ohms doesn't seem to work on these lower wattages. Math isn't my strong suit so there's a huge learning curve here.

I was building on the mod at first, but I picked up a 521- I didn't realize building on the mod was harmful, that's good info to know.

I haven't been impressed with TC, but haven't tried it since I started building. I've yet to try the Staggered Fused Claptons, Aliens or any of the fancies, apart from some unimpressive 316 Claptons I bought already wrapped, not great. Maybe if I run the SS in temp mode I'll have better luck with that material.
I'm definitely looking at getting some of the pre-made fancy wire but prefer to wrap the coils myself. One of these days I'd like to try building a chimney style- been watching plenty of building porn but I doubt I'll be getting into creating my own fancies from scratch.

BlairTheMaori

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have 4 (different) mods, all regulated with VW/TC & 6 tanks but only 2 of them are RTAs. Yeah, OBS is great, no leaks (I have the mini) . Easy to set up.
Hardly ever use the SMOK T80 mod, it's like a brick. It's the one I use as a "loaner" for friends who want to give vaping a try. The TFV4 it came with gives a tasteless vape, so it usually pairs with a Kanger tank, a few stock coils and a leak warning.

I just picked up a Livepor Yosta 160 mod, uses 2 18650's. It's all plastic but doesn't look or feel too god-awful cheap, no rattles and lightweight/ergonomic even with 2 batteries. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants more wattage but (like me) has little hands & a weak grip. Under $35 too!
Here's a question for y'all-How the heck do people vape at 90-120 watts? The guys in video reviews are always vaping in the stratosphere, but why?
I NEVER go over 45 watts no matter what build or juice (3mg/ml nic) I have in the tank. It gets too hot and chokes me out. Consequently, I tend to keep my ohms to a little higher resistance, 0.4 and above bc lower ohms doesn't seem to work on these lower wattages. Math isn't my strong suit so there's a huge learning curve here.

I was building on the mod at first, but I picked up a 521- I didn't realize building on the mod was harmful, that's good info to know.

I haven't been impressed with TC, but haven't tried it since I started building. I've yet to try the Staggered Fused Claptons, Aliens or any of the fancies, apart from some unimpressive 316 Claptons I bought already wrapped, not great. Maybe if I run the SS in temp mode I'll have better luck with that material.
I'm definitely looking at getting some of the pre-made fancy wire but prefer to wrap the coils myself. One of these days I'd like to try building a chimney style- been watching plenty of building porn but I doubt I'll be getting into creating my own fancies from scratch.

It all depends on how many ohms ur running. i like to vape around about 4.2-4.3volts. so if ive got some thinner gauge wire and many wraps at .3ohm, itll be around 60-70watts, but if i had less wraps of a fatter guage wire (or a different metal such as ss316) and it ohmed out at .15, its be more like 120w, to get the same sort of voltage. i started off building low for clouds at high wattage, but since ive been making my own juice, i tend to build higher ohm coils. just lets my batteries last a little longer when dripping, and even though theres less clouds, i get comparable flavour. more so even. (and im not sure how that works, lol.) Glad uv sorted all ur coil issues out as per you original post, and im sorry for the crap A_lewis was talking about. ive only been vaping since feb, but the vape community is the nicest, most welcoming community ive been apart of (and i used to use mIRC54 lol.) people here are always willing to help and share their knowledge, and every other day we learn something new from it. some day soon it'll be you helping the new guy, so remeber to pay it forward.

two2wheels

Member For 4 Years
or make it so it actually changes?
Yes, I do try to help where I can but as a newbie it's prob better to STFU than give wrong advice. I've posted a juice recipe or two, but also try not to put up my unfinished experiments. DIY juice making seems to be a long process, also trial & error.
Yeah, I don't know bout the banner. Sorry.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years

Old school. I'm with ya nothing fancy here

BlairTheMaori

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Another thing about pre made wire; my brother bought some multicored clapton from china, and said it was average. Next time i was at his house i had a look at it, and instead of three wires, it just had a fat piece of ribbon in it. Made us both lol for a bit. So yeah, beware of that.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
or make it so it actually changes?
You can edit it out from your signature completely, in your settings/profile. You might need to find a different banner to repost there. I honestly am not sure about that part. Some people have had luck using a different code on them.

two2wheels

Member For 4 Years
Another thing about pre made wire; my brother bought some multicored clapton from china, and said it was average. Next time i was at his house i had a look at it, and instead of three wires, it just had a fat piece of ribbon in it. Made us both lol for a bit. So yeah, beware of that.

Some of the hobby builders do use ribbon wire, as seen on the aforementioned build-porn videos I like to watch. OhmBoy Josh on YT has some well-produced work if you like that sort of thing. I find it inspirational, even tho I'm sure I'll never get the itch to build a twisted staggered staple coil or swan a double stitched helix, lol.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Some of the hobby builders do use ribbon wire, as seen on the aforementioned build-porn videos I like to watch. OhmBoy Josh on YT has some well-produced work if you like that sort of thing. I find it inspirational, even tho I'm sure I'll never get the itch to build a twisted staggered staple coil or swan a double stitched helix, lol.
Ribbon wire is actually used by a lot of hobby builders in a lot of build types. Probably the easiest (and fastest) coil build type that uses ribbon are tiger coils.

BlairTheMaori

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Wasnt a fan of tiger wire, but really enjoyed the staggered staple. Bitch of a thing to make, and my ones tend to have too much ramp up/cool down time, but tasty wee buggers. Could prob get round some of them issues buy using titanium ribbon, but havent tried yet. Anyone had much experience with NiFe wire? Never used it myself, but hear good things

two2wheels

Member For 4 Years
Ribbon wire is actually used by a lot of hobby builders in a lot of build types. Probably the easiest (and fastest) coil build type that uses ribbon are tiger coils.

Those tigers don't look too difficult for me to try. Thanks so much for the video- can u give gauges & materials u use for these?

VU Sponsors