Become a Patron!

TOTALLY discouraged with building

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ribbon wire has its' place but twisting it around a core wire doesn't make it a clapton. I've seen companies cheap out with it recently as well. Someone elsewhere posted a pic of the staggered fused claptons and took me a minute to figure out why they looked so ate up. Wasn't their fault, they bought a spool of it like that. It looked like a couple of gimped gnarly half assed tiger coils and the wrap used to fuse them was awkwardly gapped. Reason being the ribbon wire so-called 'claptons'. Instead of the fuse wrap being spaced more closely like it should have it was about 3-4x the distance between wraps. Aka cheaping out by figuring a way to fudge and use less wire.

Ribbons come in handy for true tiger coils or for staple coils. There are various takes on coils by experienced builders but you can't go changing things up that already exist and calling them something they're not. Like building a clapton with ribbon then removing the core wire, it's no longer a clapton. If people started just calling any ol' blob of wire whatever they wanted there would be no point in naming them to differentiate.

For instance, this is a staggered fused clapton -
1547a539390951351f87b1dac048ce83.jpg

This janky crap is not -
acc-staggered-fused-clapton-coil-15-ud-1.jpg

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ribbon wire has its' place but twisting it around a core wire doesn't make it a clapton. I've seen companies cheap out with it recently as well. Someone elsewhere posted a pic of the staggered fused claptons and took me a minute to figure out why they looked so ate up. Wasn't their fault, they bought a spool of it like that. It looked like a couple of gimped gnarly half assed tiger coils and the wrap used to fuse them was awkwardly gapped. Reason being the ribbon wire so-called 'claptons'. Instead of the fuse wrap being spaced more closely like it should have it was about 3-4x the distance between wraps. Aka cheaping out by figuring a way to fudge and use less wire.

Ribbons come in handy for true tiger coils or for staple coils. There are various takes on coils by experienced builders but you can't go changing things up that already exist and calling them something they're not. Like building a clapton with ribbon then removing the core wire, it's no longer a clapton. If people started just calling any ol' blob of wire whatever they wanted there would be no point in naming them to differentiate.

For instance, this is a staggered fused clapton -
1547a539390951351f87b1dac048ce83.jpg

This janky crap is not -
acc-staggered-fused-clapton-coil-15-ud-1.jpg
Yeah, just wrapping (i.e. "claptoning") the ribbon wire around a round core wire doesn't seem like it can produce a good vape─tigers and claptons are very different from that.

VU Sponsors