Become a Patron!

TPA Ripe Banana - eating plastic?

notagoodnameleft

Member For 4 Years
photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG
Anyone else had this happen - put in about 3oz of VG, 1/2 oz of PG and 1/8 oz of The perfume assistant (or flav assist = whatever) Banana (RIPE) which is very strong (BTW)... Result - well look... It seems to be enjoying the bottle... I took a bit out to inspect the area... Pics aren't great, but give the idea.

I've all kinds of menthol's and high octane cinnamon's - but nothing ever ate plastic this fast (overnight)...

Any one had similar - or is this just another 'Brett' rarity..
Thanx, looking forward to everyones $.02
B.good

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well i feel real dumb now. I have a diy mix with the TPA ripe banana and TPA Strawberry and cream, and my 15ml bottle looked the same. I thought it was just the way the Ripe banana reacted with my nic and pg/vg. It is total awesome sauce still, as far as taste goes. Shit I been vaping it like a mad man it taste so great, I didn't think it was eating the plastic? HUMM When you shake it it seems real cloudy.

My bottle looks real clear still, where there is no juice now. Not like it's etched from melting plastic.

Think I'll die?

080514013911.jpg

Last edited:

buffaloguy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This is well known with TPA ripe bananna and other flavorings that are extracted with a chemical called Triacetin. It is a plasticizer used in the flavoring industry for extracting flavor compounds.

It reacts with some plastics in a very harsh manner. Any liquids made.with flavorings containing triacetin are best stored in glass bottles and vaped in glass tanks, rda's, or things that dont contain plastic or delrin. Itll eat thru delrin crazy quick too btw. Some plastics can stand up to it but will still etch and get cloudy looking.

A great many fruit based flavors contain some triacetin.

Now, Ill leave it up to you whether or not you wanna vape stuff that can eat thru plastic. I dont see it as wise, but others have no problem with it. Me personally, I get bad.canker sores from flavorings containing triacetin so I avoid it like the plague.

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My bottle looks real clear still, where there is no juice now. Not like it's etched from melting plastic.

Think I'll die?

If you die, can I have your gear and get whatever smiley faced bologna sandwiches you have?

notagoodnameleft

Member For 4 Years
OK.... Safety flag just went up...

Bit of searching (and of course Wiki) says... It is recognized that at an even higher feeding level (10 g per kg per day) male rats developed testicular atrophy and female rats, uterine discoloration.

Huh!!! Being male and willing to pay attention when the testes are involved.... "family jewels - no - more... Going to shrink and quit working - GOT IT"...

fortunately I kept reading...

However, such a level which would amount to 50 g or more for an infant and 600 g for an adult per day, is vastly higher than would be possible in the consumption of foods to which acetostearins are added for functional purposes." Triacetin is included in the SCOGS database since 1975.

Moral of the story... I've discontinued the 12" frying pan I was converting to an eighteen post deck for a big boy dripper hooked to a 12v car battery!

glassgrl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
A couple recipes I used to make with 1% or less of TFA Ripe Banana would be OK in plastic bottles and tanks. More than that, no.

FL_David

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
My strawberry/banana (ripe) bottle looks normal. Good thing as I really like TFA Ripe Banana flavor.

OneLief

Unique and Ingenious Title
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
How do you transfer ripe banana? When I used it, it ate my syringe. Will pipettes work?

OneLief

Unique and Ingenious Title
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Glass Syringes or pour from bottle to bottle.
What a pain in the a**! Don't think I'll be using ripe banana unless I have to.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Also, don't use with any plastic tanks, glass only, or drippers.
A few other flavors will also dissolve the plastic tanks.
Citrus types mostly...

Mike O

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If you use a syringe, especially a 1ml syringe, with Ripe banana, prepare to throw the syringe away cause it's toast. Does something to the rubber and no matter rinsing the syringe, it's never the same afterwards.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors