Become a Patron!

Trick to give a top air inlet to a side air hole RDA and prevent leaks

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Those of you who use RDAs with a side air hole know what happen when the atomizer chamber isn't quite empty, and you put your mod in your pocket:

juice-stained_shirt_zps79e7d60a.jpg

I am perfectly happy with my Smok Dripper RDAs, but the shirt problem was getting to be a real problem: it's just not acceptable to turn up at a company meeting with a shirt in that sorry condition (or pants, if I put my mod in my pants pocket instead) and I just don't want to lug my carry case around.

The problem arises when the shirt's fabric gets into contact with the air hole: it starts wicking all the juice out of the atty through the air hole. To solve the problem, I've relocated the air hole near the top of the bell. That way, whatever liquid escapes through the side hole tends to stay in the small "air duct" going to the top of the atty, by capillarity and by gravity, and I can suck it right back inside the chamber at the next vape.

All it takes to modify the atomizer bell is an old plastic syringe and some plumber's waterproof double-sided tape:

- Cut two rings out of the syringe's body.
- With one ring, make an inner sleeve with the air channel cut into it to connect the side air hole to the top inlet.
- Tape the inner ring onto the bell.
- With the second ring, make an outer sleeve that slips onto the inner sleeve and closes the air channel.

Check it out:

top_air_hole_mod1_zpsc01ae6c7.jpg

top_air_hole_mod2_zps33265dc5.jpg

No more leaks. No more stained shirts!

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Pretty ingenious. Love the hacks.
bravo-009.gif

Only thing would be, you still couldn't lie them down could ya?
Most folks have 22mm drippers nowadays. Do you know if a particular syringe would be the right size for those?

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, syringe, felt-tip pen cap, bit of garden hose... whatever works that has a diameter somewhat close to the bell's. You can always slice the inner ring open on the backside to enlarge it, and simply use heat-shrink tubing for the outer sleeve. The bits of syringe worked for me because they happened to have the right diameter.

Oh and yes, I can lie it down on its side - I always do. Now I can lie it down air hole facing down too, and even upside down: the extra air channel sort of fills up with juice half-way, but the juice stays there. The only thing I can't do is turn it upside down and shake it :)

Last edited:

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I like the idea.. but I don't like the way it looks.. I'm way to vein about how my mods look lol.. I do agree that the leaking is really annoying.. I only drip when I'm at home for this reason.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like the idea.. but I don't like the way it looks.. I'm way to vein about how my mods look lol.. I do agree that the leaking is really annoying.. I only drip when I'm at home for this reason.

It does look kinda third-world. Unlike you though, I have no feel for aesthetics. I strictly go for functional. Or rather, I prefer my shirt looking spiffy than my mod :)

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It does look kinda third-world. Unlike you though, I have no feel for aesthetics. I strictly go for functional. Or rather, I prefer my shirt looking spiffy than my mod :)

thats why I use my pants pocket.. and wear dark colored pants :)

VU Sponsors