Become a Patron!

Triple 18650 or dual 26650

fraleywp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am looking at picking up a Phoenix Mod unregulated box mod. The mod in question is unregulated parallel and comes in a triple 18650 or dual 26650 configuration. I know this is what I want as I like a somewhat warm to hot vape and this mod would be safe for the .15 to .30 builds I like.

Any opinions why I should choose one battery config over the other?

Also, I can opt for pure silver wire for an extra $10. Is it worth the $10?

Evileclipse

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have quite a few mods for both batteries, and there simply isn't a 26650 battery that can compare to a Sony vtc5a. There is very little benefit to a 26650 battery. Having used them both pretty extensively, i can't see any reason to choose a 26650 mod other than a preference for bigger size. I use alot of 30mm rdas, so I like the bigger diameters that come with the bigger 26650 tubes. None of this should apply to a box mod though. At the ohm ranges you are planning on using, you would be safe on a single 18650 mod even. There wouldnt be much headroom left in the battery, but as long as you are using a quality battery, you would be more than fine. The only quality 18650s are made by LG, Samsung, or Sony. If you're using anything else, then you're doing it wrong. I always recommend sony vtc5a batteries because they have a great amp rating and relatively decent run time. With a triple 18650 mod with 3 fully charged vtc5a's, you would be safe building to .05 ohms, pushing 75 amps total. Not that I recommend that, because your mods mosfet(s) can't possibly handle 75 amps, but those batteries wouldn't even break a sweat with that configuration. As far as the wire upgrade inside the mod, for only $10 you'd be a fool not to. It shouldn't make too much of a difference, and may not even be noticeable to you, but that is a very small gamble for something you will use so much. I certainly would.

fraleywp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am using samsung 25r and VTC5A batteries from this point forward. I do have a set of HG2s but I am not planning to buy more. I oddly get better life out of the Sony batteries.

I was planning to get the triple 18650 until I saw the dual 26650 option. Just making sure there isn't some reason to go with those. I am choosing one of these two as the box is big enough to use a 30mm atty with no overhang.

I figured the silver was a good option but wasn't sure I would even notice it with the builds I plan to use. I appreciate your response.

Evileclipse

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm happy to hear that you're already using some of the best batteries available. Like I said, if you were here with me, I wouldn't let you buy anything other than vtc5a's. 25r green are great batteries too, but in my eyes don't compete for run time. If the box already fits a 30mm RDA without overhang, then there is absolutely no benefit to getting the 26650 box. Every mod is different in how it handles the connections, and you may not notice the silver wire, but I have spent a hell of a lot more than $10 on silver plated contact pins, or magnetic switches on my mods, and you shouldn't even have a choice in it. Yes, def get it. There can be no downside to getting the silver. You're welcome! If there's anything I can verify help with, you're always welcome to message me. Enjoy!

fraleywp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks man I appreciate your willingness to help. I want to get this mod because I want to be able to control my vape in a very specific way. Just want to build and vape. I will be digging in to building my own coils as well. I have a set of various wire sizes to learn with.

Evileclipse

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Anytime! I love to help whenever possible. I love building, and it's probably my favorite aspect of vaping. I've done almost everything except the very most exotic, and could probably help quite a bit with that. Except aliens. Damn aliens. I've wasted hundreds of feet of 36ga trying to master it, and the best I have to show for it is a bunch of 4" sections. My favorite is hands down a framed staple. I do 26ga n80 frames, 8 plys of .5 kanthal ribbon, and wrapped with 36 ga n80. Amazing!

fraleywp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It may be a while before I get to crazy builds, but I am good with my hands so not afraid to try.

VU Sponsors