Become a Patron!

Trouble finding juices with strong flavor in my vtc mini/crown

Smokeyla1

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This is the end of my first week of vaping and I'm finding it hard to come across flavors that are strong enough to keep in my tank. Will "steeping" make flavors more pronounced? My current setup is a vtc mini with a uwell crown subtank with the .5 ohm dual coil installed. The mini is set to temp control for ss316 which was at 40 Watts/420F and just increased it to 47.5 and 440F, any higher and I find myself coughing on the vapor. I was pretty excited to try 2 juices from Hometown Hero after seeing them ranked pretty high on JuiceDB but they again seem to be light in the flavor department, the rice crispy treats and white girl(pumpkin spice latte). I've read that my hardware setup is one of the best for flavor yet a find it somewhat lacking...is this just the nature of vaping? Am I reading to far into reviews of people stating "blueberry flavor exploding in my mouth"???

As a side note it seems the vape juice retailers must be doing well becuase most codes I found for free samples no longer work, discounts are getting smaller compared to Google results from a year ago and I have yet to get a reply from ANY juice retailer I contacted by email.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some juices will have more flavor than others, some will have less but...

Just quit smoking means your tasters have been burnt to shit for years and will start to work better for vape, food, drink... all of it.

Have you gone to a juice shop to try different juices? I see reviews on vendor sites that say "best ever flavor, explodes with taste and shit like that and the juice is absolutely crap.
Depending on how long it's been since the juice was mixed it may need more steep time like 2 to 4 weeks after mix date. If it has steeped for a month + on the vendors shelf, it's as good as it will get.

That coil will probably want more power to really shine but you're not accustomed to direct to lung with a ton of vapor yet. That will come in time.
Try closing off the air flow a little and adjust temp to see if that can get more flavor but not blow you out of the room with vapor.

I'm sure lots of others will comment with stuff I haven't thought of.

Last edited by a moderator:

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use those ss coils in wattage mode. To my taste the 0.25 coil at 60 watts gives amazing flavor - any less wattage and the flavor drops off.

And as said above, your taste buds will take a while to come back. Make sure you rotate juice flavors often, which seems to help.

Smokeyla1

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Some juices will have more flavor than others, some will have less but...

Just quit smoking means your tasters have been burnt to shit for years and will start to work better for vape, food, drink... all of it.

Have you gone to a juice shop to try different juices? I see reviews on vendor sites that say "best ever flavor, explodes with taste" and shit likenthat and the juice is absolutely crap.
Depending on how long it's been since the juice was mixed it may need more steep time like 2 to 4 weeks after mix date. If it has steeped for a month + on the vendors shelf, it's as good as it will get.

That coil will probably want more power to really shine but you're not accustomed to direct to lung with a ton of vapor yet. That will come in time.
Try close off the air flow a little and adjust temp to see if that can get more flavor but not blow you out of the room with vapor.

I'm sure lots of others will comment with stuff I haven't thought of.

I should have stated I've never been a smoker thankfully, I'm trying this as just a hobby I guess. Any brands off the top of your head that have pronounced flavors that I can try or ones that are more subtle that I can avoid?

Smokeyla1

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use those ss coils in wattage mode. To my taste the 0.25 coil at 60 watts gives amazing flavor - any less wattage and the flavor drops off.

And as said above, your taste buds will take a while to come back. Make sure you rotate juice flavors often, which seems to help.

Are you saying the .25 coil will give better flavor over the .5?

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I prefer the .25 myself but a single cell mod just doesn't push it hard enough... to me at least.

Are you vaping zero nic juice? That will have the most flavor and you don't need to start an addiction to nicotine but to each their own on that one I guess.

Smokeyla1

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I prefer the .25 myself but a single cell mod just doesn't push it hard enough... to me at least.

Are you vaping zero nic juice? That will have the most flavor and you don't need to start an addiction to nicotine but to each their own on that one I guess.

Yes I am using zero nicotine juice, also I have not tried the .25 SS coil or the .15 Ni coil it also came with. The vtc mini goes up to 75w so I can at least give the .25 coil a shot, I'll admit I'm somewhat lost when it comes to different ohm coils and how it correlates to flavor production.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes I am using zero nicotine juice, also I have not tried the .25 SS coil or the .15 Ni coil it also came with. The vtc mini goes up to 75w so I can at least give the .25 coil a shot, I'll admit I'm somewhat lost when it comes to different ohm coils and how it correlates to flavor production.
I find the Ni200 coils disappointing - the only ones I really like at the 0.25.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Give the 0.25 a shot.
I like a strong energetic vape that may not be your speed yet but to me a single battery just doesn't power a 0.25 how I want. That mod could be set to 1000 watts if the firmware allowed but it is limited to what a single battery can output.
Run the tank at 70w on a single cell mod and a dual or tri cell mod at 70w and you will have a totally different experience.

Also the battery you are using can effect the power, if you are using a no name or rewrap it will not be able to supply the power like a Samsung 25r or like quality battery can.

Smokeyla1

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Give the 0.25 a shot.
I like a strong energetic vape that may not be your speed yet but to me a single battery just doesn't power a 0.25 how I want. That mod could be set to 1000 watts if the firmware allowed but it is limited to what a single battery can output.
Run the tank at 70w on a single cell mod and a dual or tri cell mod at 70w and you will have a totally different experience.

Also the battery you are using can effect the power, if you are using a no name or rewrap it will not be able to supply the power like a Samsung 25r or like quality battery can.

Thanks to all for replies, currently have 3 LG HG2 batteries to work with and a few Samsung 30Q on the way as well since I use them for flashlights as well.what is considered the best bang for buck mod for a step up from the vtc mini? 100-200w?

Priming the .25 coil as I write this so I'll be giving that a shot later...also reading on another forum how manipulating both the air control ring and possibly another, smaller tip could strengthen flavor too...hmmm

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh man... soooo many great choices out right now. IPV5 may be my next mod. Nice pocket friendly trim profile, yihi chip that fires the split second you hit the button, buck, boost, 2 cell... $50 shipped to your door.

I have the reuleaux rx200 that is a great, cheap, powerful 3 cell mod but it's far from pocket friendly.

The vtc mini is a great mod but if you want to power some of the more power hungry coil builds or a crown coil (I'm sure others as well)... once you vape with a 2+ cell mod it's hard to go back.

You may be more than happy for now with the single cell mod as you are just getting used to vaping but at some point you may want moar powah... grab a mod with more power then.

mr vaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is the end of my first week of vaping and I'm finding it hard to come across flavors that are strong enough to keep in my tank. Will "steeping" make flavors more pronounced? My current setup is a vtc mini with a uwell crown subtank with the .5 ohm dual coil installed. The mini is set to temp control for ss316 which was at 40 Watts/420F and just increased it to 47.5 and 440F, any higher and I find myself coughing on the vapor. I was pretty excited to try 2 juices from Hometown Hero after seeing them ranked pretty high on JuiceDB but they again seem to be light in the flavor department, the rice crispy treats and white girl(pumpkin spice latte). I've read that my hardware setup is one of the best for flavor yet a find it somewhat lacking...is this just the nature of vaping? Am I reading to far into reviews of people stating "blueberry flavor exploding in my mouth"???

As a side note it seems the vape juice retailers must be doing well becuase most codes I found for free samples no longer work, discounts are getting smaller compared to Google results from a year ago and I have yet to get a reply from ANY juice retailer I contacted by email.
The only free sample that I'm aware of is vista vapors just pay shipping only 1 sample allowed their juice is ok

Vapin_4_Real

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I vape the .5 coils on my Crown at around 40 watts. Best flavor I have ever had out of a subtank and trust me... i have went thru a LOT of them. I even got 28 days out of my first coil going thru about 3 tanks of juice per day.

Smokeyla1

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The only free sample that I'm aware of is vista vapors just pay shipping only 1 sample allowed their juice is ok

Yes I did get that one, ordered lime as I saw it was a recommended one from another forum and its OK....not bad for the price but not good either. My other juices have 2-3 flavors where as this is just the one.

During a search for samples I came across codes from halo, hurricane and one more I can't think of and none of the codes still work so I figured why not send them an email asking about it and not one gave a response. Given that it seems most retailers are trying to keep up with demand, I see why they pulled these offers....they simply don't need to drum up business.

Smokeyla1

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I vape the .5 coils on my Crown at around 40 watts. Best flavor I have ever had out of a subtank and trust me... i have went thru a LOT of them. I even got 28 days out of my first coil going thru about 3 tanks of juice per day.

Do you guys play with the air flow ring to get better flavor? I've also seen people recommend to try another tip, are there any recommended ones?

Vapin_4_Real

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Do you guys play with the air flow ring to get better flavor? I've also seen people recommend to try another tip, are there any recommended ones?
I use the stock tip with the airflow wide open. I havent tried the .25 ohm coil yet or the NI because I have been loving the .5

Chinamatic

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I also began with the same set up, vtc mini and crown. I preferred the 0.25 coil but I found that it didn't really shine until I hit the 75 - 85 Watts range.

Smokeyla1

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I also began with the same set up, vtc mini and crown. I preferred the 0.25 coil but I found that it didn't really shine until I hit the 75 - 85 Watts range.

Did you change mod? I borrowed a friend's cuboid and found the .25 coil at 105-110w is nice. I am using temp control set to 580F so I'm not sure it's really pushing the 100+ all the time though.

Chinamatic

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Did you change mod? I borrowed a friend's cuboid and found the .25 coil at 105-110w is nice. I am using temp control set to 580F so I'm not sure it's really pushing the 100+ all the time though.
Yes. I found that I kept getting the "weak battery" warning after a couple hours of use. I ended up purchasing the cuboid and was able to get through a whole day @ 80 Watts.

Smokeyla1

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes. I found that I kept getting the "weak battery" warning after a couple hours of use. I ended up purchasing the cuboid and was able to get through a whole day @ 80 Watts.

Nice! Wondering myself what would be a step up from cuboid besides the unpocketfriendly rx200. 150w seems to be all that's needed and small form factor

Chinamatic

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Nice! Wondering myself what would be a step up from cuboid besides the unpocketfriendly rx200. 150w seems to be all that's needed and small form factor
The size of the cuboid is what drew me towards it. I have the unfortunate gift of having small hands. (Take a note ladies)

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I ordered a IPV5 for a friend and used it for a couple days. Very nice.
It's a yihi chip with buck and boost, upgradeable, tcr... and again, it's a yihi... one of the tops on TC accuracy. $50 to my door, can't beat that price and much more pocket friendly than my rx200.

Smokeyla1

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I ordered a IPV5 for a friend and used it for a couple days. Very nice.
It's a yihi chip with buck and boost, upgradeable, tcr... and again, it's a yihi... one of the tops on TC accuracy. $50 to my door, can't beat that price and much more pocket friendly than my rx200.
Any idea how it compares to the cuboid? Also I thought I read about a new version coming out, the ipv5s

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cuboid is a joyetech chip so yihi will be more accurate at temp control and just overall a better vape temp mode or power mode but joyetech menu is easier to navigate. You can change temp on the fly, yihi you have to click into the menu and scroll and when you're done you've clicked 15 times to change a few degrees. (Provari flashbacks)
To me the trade off is worth it though.

Haven't looked as the S... what changed?

Last edited:

VU Sponsors