Become a Patron!

Trying a Quad Twisted Helix

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think I am going to attempt a new coil build this weekend (maybe tonight). I'm calling it the quad twisted helix. Four 34 gauge wires twisted then helix twist that with a 26 gauge wire. Going for a dual coil with each coil having a 1/8" ID and a resistance of 0.5 ohms. Has anyone tried a coil build like this? Give me your thoughts.

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Did it tonight... Woof! I need a regulated mod for this bad boy!!! Running it on my Dovpo GX-200 and initial wattage is around 80 watts... Very short hits, that's for sure.

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Nice looking. Ever figure out the right wattage range? And do you feel like there's any specific advantage to the helix wrap, or is it just an artistic build? After all the hype about Clapton wire I went ahead and made some. I don't see the point to them, personally. I can get the same results with a lot less effort and wire.
Not knocking your build or anything, just curious.

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
60 Watts with wide open air flow works well. The advantage I feel is creating more places for e-juice to come into contact with the coil creating more vapor. It also gives me something to do with my higher gauge (thinner) wire. LOL No offense taken. I'm experimenting with different coils to see what the differences are in vapor and flavor production.

Last edited:

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Seems to me that the outside wire would basically just be a heat sink. Like Clapton wire. But, if you want massive surface area, I have found that 3 strand twisted .8mm flat is phenomenal. I'm glad you found the sweet spot for them. Enjoy.

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've just purchased some flat to play with when I get my 100W mod.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I do a twisted .8mm flat around a dual 28 gauge twisted core that kicks ass.

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well... Mine isn't perfectly flat. It's called Off Road and I got it from Lightning. I may have to give that a try! What resistance and single or dual?

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Dual Coil, 5 wraps around 3mm mandrel, I get between .19 and .21.

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Do you counter twist the flat with the twisted 28 or twist same direction?

Sent from my "smart" phone.

VU Sponsors