Become a Patron!

Trying to build a series Box mod with parts I already have need ideas

Is the IRL3103S any good for 8.4v series setup ?

• Total voters
hi everyone, just joined here as I am looking around and realize I have just about everything I need for a 8.4V series box mod. Here is what I will be using it mostly for, 8.4 volt vaping on 1-1.5 ohm coils, may sub ohm a little but not often. My plan is to keep it simple, no on/off switch, no volt meter , no pot , no leds, etc. This is what I have , will the mosfet be enough ??

IRL3103S Mosfet
aluminum "stash tin" , nice and big will fit everything
2 Sony VTC4
510 connection fron an Origin clone
18 and 16 gauge stranded wire, and lots of random resistors

So all I need is the battery sled, and a switch

Since I am using a mosfet which kind of switch should I look for ? Just about any momentary would work, right ?

just wanted confirmation that I am going in the right direction. I have been fixing electronics for 5 years but looking at the datasheet for the mosfet confuses me. Anyone see any problems I may run into ?

bryce666

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I can tell you what I just built. No mosfet. I used 2 - 18650 sony's in series on a pre wired battery sled. With a simple momentary switch, led, 470 ohm resistor and 510 connector.
Hit like a monster about 3 times, then the springs on the battery sled melted thru the plastic. I used 8 Guage solid copper on all wiring. So next step is to make my own battery sled. The ones I received from Hong Kong are not holding up. Just figured I would share that with you. Awesome clouds while it lasted, lol.
That is with a .6 ohm build on my atty. Which is 106 watts at 13 amps!!!

Last edited:
whoa whoa, I never considered the battery sled to be a weaklink. Damn, and I thought I had it all figured out. Any recomendations for a battery sled capable of what we put ours through ? Really didnt want to have to build one. God damn, this easy project keeps getting harder.

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
hi everyone, just joined here as I am looking around and realize I have just about everything I need for a 8.4V series box mod. Here is what I will be using it mostly for, 8.4 volt vaping on 1-1.5 ohm coils, may sub ohm a little but not often. My plan is to keep it simple, no on/off switch, no volt meter , no pot , no leds, etc. This is what I have , will the mosfet be enough ??

IRL3103S Mosfet
aluminum "stash tin" , nice and big will fit everything
2 Sony VTC4
510 connection fron an Origin clone
18 and 16 gauge stranded wire, and lots of random resistors

So all I need is the battery sled, and a switch

Since I am using a mosfet which kind of switch should I look for ? Just about any momentary would work, right ?

just wanted confirmation that I am going in the right direction. I have been fixing electronics for 5 years but looking at the datasheet for the mosfet confuses me. Anyone see any problems I may run into ?
Check out this thread, lot of info there and pics, that might help you along.

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/basic-mosfet-wiring.2361/page-4#post-170257

bryce666

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm hammering out some solid copper wire to replace the solid contact points on the sled. And using flat copper strap to make the spring ends. You can use penny's to manufacture copper parts also, if needed. I'm interested to see what you do!

bryce666

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
4406031a36fd3f37358307cb4c156485.jpg

Got it fixed. Hits hard as hell!

Here is the plan.

Skeleton & Roses Stash tin , with 2 mm LED for light up eyes when fire is pressed
International Rectifier IRLB3034PBF mosfet
Keystone 1048 dual 18650
2 Sony VTC4
EhPro Aqua 510 connector
12mm flush lightup momentary switch
12ga stranded wire.
60/40 electronics solder

Will be topped with a Ehpro Aqua (for now) at 1.2-1.6 ohms, and I plan to try Japanese cotton since ive heard so much good stuff about it.

anyone see any obvious limitations of this device ? I dont really plan to go over 50 or 60 watts TOPS. The plan is to have the lighted switch come on when pressed, and have the 2 red LED come on at the same time. Here it is getting everything together, just need to figure out how to wire everything up.

Mod2.png

PB020222.jpg

PB020220.jpg

bryce666

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I can say if you wire them in series, clouds are ridiculous. But the batteries just do not last at all. I'm gonna go ahead and build another one in parallel.

I think I understand more whats going on here guys, but I am unsure of where to put my two LEDS. the resistor value is based on 8.4V source. I am thinking the LED's would go inbetween the switch and mosfet gate. Note the LED array at the bottom.

10639603_10152452052243994_6831876762523147470_n.jpg

I love my series box. I literally got into cloud chasing over night. But realistically I just use it to get more flavour and vapor. I keep my builds at a .5 as recommended by the modzunlimited.com I respect you building your own, your going to love it.

VU Sponsors