Become a Patron!

Trying to finalise vape setup choice primarily for flavour rather than clouds

I'm trying to decide what mod/tank to buy as a 3rd time vaper and hope people here might be able to help me.

I've tried vaping before a couple of times. I bought a Innokin iTaste SVD 2.0 mod about 18 months ago and found it to be pretty good (if a little bulky/long) and got myself almost entirely off cigarettes as a result. I then lost that (long story) and grabbed an Innokin Endura T22 which I found ok, but a bit lacking in a few respects (not surprising given the price).

After taking some suggestions in the other thread I started, I've looked into a few different options and came pretty close to buying the eLeaf Pico kit with the Melo III tank as it seemed to be a very good all round device with a compact form factor and decent functionality (temp control for example). The one downside seems to be that it can only support tanks up to 22mm diameter, so I did also take a look at the Pico 25 which can obviously support larger tanks, but I've fallen into a wormhole of paradox of choice and am struggling to decide what to get!

I was also assuming I would be looking for a device geared towards DTL vaping, but after further research it seems that this is more likely to be helpful for vapor production rather than flavour, which is what I'm more interested in. If MTL vaping is generally better for flavour as seems to be the case, are there other considerations as well? I think I'm right in saying that MTL is likely to have reduced liquid usage compared to DTL but I *think* that nicotine absorption is meant to be more pronounced with DTL, so should I look at slightly higher nic juice if I end up MTLing?

While I'm on juice, is it also the case that a higher PG liquid is likely to be better for flavour than high VG? I've read that a 50/50 mix is a good place to start for flavour, perhaps pushing up to 60% PG or higher (with the inherent impact on less vapor production and strong throat hit that comes with this)? Seems most juice I see these days is high VG and high PG is harder to come by.

I'm also keen to get a tank with as large a volume as possible/appropriate as I'd rather not have to refill more often than necessary - does a larger volume tank have any effect on flavour? I've read about how airflow positioning (below coil best for flavour), drop tip bore style (narrower better for flavour), coil/atomizer diameter (narrower better for flavour) and some other factors can affect flavour as well.

So what mods and tanks (or complete kits) and juices would people recommend for someone returning to vaping who is not a complete noob (having done it a couple of times before for a few months) and values flavour over clouds, as well as being interested in larger volume tanks? I'm ideally not looking to spend more than £100 right now, but any suggestions would be welcome. A lot of requirements I know, but it seems most stuff I find online is geared up for people who want a massive wattage sub-ohm setup to blow massive clouds, rather than those of us who might want more flavour... Or should I just go for the Pico (or Pico 25) and be done with it?

VU Sponsors