Become a Patron!

TSA rules and traveling with mods, batteries, etc. HELP

I need advice on what I can/can't bring to a flight across America. I'd like to bring 1 mechanical mod, 1 VV box mod, 2 batteries, a battery charger, a few attys, and some e-liquid. I will not be bringing my coil building kit, etc.. I am only out there for a week and my coils should last that long. Wondering from someone with first hand experience, what troubles can/will I run into and what should be no problem to go through airports, etc. I am only traveling in the country.

VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This article may provide some insight before you travel. Like it says, I would think the best thing would be to present it all up front, and all together. I don't have personal experience one way or the other, but hopefully this helps.

I travel across the US often, your vaping gear is no issue as all the airport staff know what they are but there are a few rules on carrying stuff.

Place your batteries in your carry on luggage you can also carry up to 100ml of liquid on you. Any e liquid over 100 mls in your checked luggage well wrapped in plastic bags.. Cables/chargers etc place with your electronic stuff like laptop phone etc.

Also to be aware that some tanks will leak at pressure on the plane so best to carry anything already filled in a plastic bag. You are not allowed to vape on any airline to date.

Enjoy your trip. :)

Last edited:

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I traveled to England with everything you are taking, the advice I got, was take everything on with your hand luggage, I went through 4 airports in total, and never got asked about any of it, I did put my battery charger in my suitcase, but batteries and juice is best to keep in hand luggage, when asked to take eletric stuff out, do take out your batteries and mod too, and put your liquid in a food bag, I kept my bottles to 30mil bottles.

Kang

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I travel across the US often, your vaping gear is no issue as all the airport staff know what they are but there are a few rules on carrying stuff.

Place your batteries in your carry on luggage you can also carry up to 100ml of liquid on you. Any e liquid over 100 mls in your checked luggage well wrapped in plastic bags.. Cables/chargers etc place with your electronic stuff like laptop phone etc.

Also to be aware that some tanks will leak at pressure on the plane so best to carry anything already filled in a plastic bag. You are not allowed to vape on any airline to date.

All this.

There have been 2 occasions where the TSA person had to ask another TSA person how to proceed, but I was always given my gear back and flagged to proceed. Find myself going to the bathroom alot on those cross country flights *cough*

Wow.. all of you are awesome. I appreciate all the responses and have had similar advice from my local vaping community. I'm passing through some major ports and will report back. I plan on having a small carry on bag with everything in it. Another quick question. Do you remove your batteries and put them in a separate container or can you have the batteries in the devices. I ask this, because one of my VV devices only has a screw on back and I would rather not bring a screw driver if I don't have to.

SerialVapist

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Last January I flew out of LAX to JFK (and back) and I took all my gear in my backpack. If I remember correctly, I had 2 12ml bottles of juice, and 2 batteries, a charger. Never questioned about any of it, but I did put it all together in a ziplock bag. My mod was always on me and had a battery in it (I just put it into the basket with wallet and cell and such. In my carry-on luggage I had a small kit (screwdriver, cotton, kanthal) and they didn't say anything about that either. And now that I think of it, it was the same from ONT to Las Vegas, and that trip was last October. I talked to a few guys that I work with that travel A LOT (I think A LOT is an understatement, I'd hate to be away that long) have said that they've never had an issue.

Happy vaping! Enjoy your travels!

Savage_46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I took some of my stuff on a trip last year. I kept everything in a bag and separated. Ego turned off, 18650 ends taped off in a battery box. Juice in their own bag. TSA didn't look twice. With all the recent crackdown on shipping batteries, they may be a little more strict on that part.

TStorms

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the tips. I fly out this weekend, and am planning on taking 3 of my MVP 2, with some i30s clearomizers, and maybe a couple of bottles of 30ml e liquid. Sounds like I just need to place the MVP 2s in the basket with my cell phone, and I should be good to go correct? Anything else anyone wants to add? I am planning on taking a very tiny ego battery with a ce4 clearomizer to do a little stealth vaping in the airport, and airplane. Midwest to Florida.

Savage_46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Now that TSA requires phones to be turned on prior to passing for international flights; it wouldn't be a bad idea to have one setup (or all) ready to go for demo if they want to hassle you. The mvp may look a little odd (or suspicious) to the untrained / non vaper eye. I'm sure you'll be fine, but any foresight & prep can potentially save lots of time at the most undesirable part of the airport.... And I'm a natural pessimist.

TStorms

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Now that TSA requires phones to be turned on prior to passing for international flights; it wouldn't be a bad idea to have one setup (or all) ready to go for demo if they want to hassle you. The mvp may look a little odd (or suspicious) to the untrained / non vaper eye. I'm sure you'll be fine, but any foresight & prep can potentially save lots of time at the most undesirable part of the airport.... And I'm a natural pessimist.

Am flying Ohio to Florida. I will probably have one i30 clearo with the MVPs in the basket with my cell phone, just in case they want to see how it works. Will make it as easy as possible, and I'm like you, wanting to take care of any unforeseen trouble ahead of time :) Thank you, Savage!

1truk

Member For 4 Years
I took some of my stuff on a trip last year. I kept everything in a bag and separated. Ego turned off, 18650 ends taped off in a battery box. Juice in their own bag. TSA didn't look twice. With all the recent crackdown on shipping batteries, they may be a little more strict on that part.

You mention your 18650's having their ends taped off? Do you mean you really tape the ends of the batteries? I can see this to be a great idea for safety but is it required/suggested in any official capacity? I would think that to be something that would catch their eye to the point of them asking more questions.

1truk

Member For 4 Years
Prior to becoming an avid vapor I used to Fly A lot and I just assumed that traveling with Vape Gear would be so much more of a hassle, especially now with all the politics surrounding vaping and people trying to demonize vaping whenever possible.

TStorms

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Flying update....absolutely no problems in getting through security out of Ohio to Florida. Took my 3 MVP 2 with me, 1 Vision Spinner, and 2 small ego batteries. Plus, a dozen i30 clearomizers, and 6 30mls of Five Pawns, and several other e liquids that fit into that 1 quart sized bag. Even managed a a few stealth vapes on the plane (window seat of course) I mean, at 33,000 feet, what are they going to do.....parachute me out? Smiling. All is well. Cheers!

Izzy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Going on a trip this week, so they are okay with vw/vv mods but about mechs? Will it be okay have in suit case with battery separated of course, would like bring two of my fav mechs,

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just a little tip on traveling to cross country vacations or business...you can always mail a box with goodies to the hotel you intend on staying, when you check in, ask for any mail or packages that are addressed to you. My wife will fedx items she does not want to travel with in advance, never had an issue getting her goodies at the counter of the hotel. Just call the hotel in advance and alert them to an incoming package for your stay. People do this all the time.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Flying update....absolutely no problems in getting through security out of Ohio to Florida. Took my 3 MVP 2 with me, 1 Vision Spinner, and 2 small ego batteries. Plus, a dozen i30 clearomizers, and 6 30mls of Five Pawns, and several other e liquids that fit into that 1 quart sized bag. Even managed a a few stealth vapes on the plane (window seat of course) I mean, at 33,000 feet, what are they going to do.....parachute me out? Smiling. All is well. Cheers!
Good to hear, I'm gonna be going from denver to Reagan in D.C. In October. Reagan is always a bit more thorough and picky, it's right by the pentagon. They are nice, though. I will follow all advice and hope for the best. I'll be bring a mech or two and my mvp, plus building necessities, and juice. The wire and batteries and everything do worry me, as they could raise an eye, but seems a all is good.

And I like the stealth vape joke, but, sadly you could end up in handcuffs when you land if you're not careful. That's how things are now, and rules are rules. Not trying to be a dick, just wouldn't wanna see a few puffs get someone arrested.

MD_Boater

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I took my vape gear to Jamaica. I stealth vaped on both legs in my seat, and a few times in the lavatories. The trick in the lavatories is to take moderate hits, and exhale the vapor towards the floor. There is a lot of air moving around in them and it busts up clouds really fast.

Izzy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
But what mechs on board , i know e-sigs and MVP vv/vw mods are accepted but steel/copper mechs tsa might think its a pipe bombs ......so just pack it up in the suite case but will be a problem in the suite case.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Its probably a good idea for all vape heads to have a box mod or ego style pen for traveling
I agree totally. Though, my mvp does look strange, too. The usb charging port actually would help, that makes it a portable battery charger and adds legitimacy. I also have no good tanks left besides kayfuns, and an evod 2 and an evod. All my other tanks are messed up, I might pick up an aerotank before the trip. Just for ease of use if needed. Evods are too small, I vape through one seemingly instantly. Plus I need an adapter for a mech, though I've never even done that before. I do have one, though.

I think another good idea just for extra safety, is to place everything in it's box that it came in. I save all packaging habitually, so I could disassemble everything, place it nicely in its respective packaging, and then we have clean looking, labeled items. A mech in its packaging is less pipe bomb esque than assembled, or disassembled just hanging out. Also, an mvp looks less like some walkie talkie detonation device in its innokin box. I could see an over zealous tsa agent think a box mod is something sketchy, and using the interface etc... wouldn't necessarily change that.

TStorms

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
And I like the stealth vape joke, but, sadly you could end up in handcuffs when you land if you're not careful. That's how things are now, and rules are rules. Not trying to be a dick, just wouldn't wanna see a few puffs get someone arrested.

It's all good, I didn't think you were being a dick at all. And you are correct about people getting arrested for vaping on a plane. Sometimes my "Betty Badass" comes out, and I very carefully take chances. It does help when you know the person sitting next to you on a two seater row tho :) Safe travels.

pdxjlb

Member For 4 Years
An UPDATE TODAY NOV. 7 2014 after speaking with a TSA employee, who actually vapes herself, she sent me an email about specifics on batteries and E-cigs, this is a direct copy and paste from part of the email:

E-cigarettes and their components, such as the mouthpiece, heating element, and power supply, are not on TSA’s prohibited items list and generally are permitted through the screening checkpoint after proper security screening.

It is important to note, however, that regardless of whether an item is on the prohibited or permitted items list, Transportation Security Officers (TSOs) have discretion to prohibit an individual from carrying an item through the screening checkpoint or onboard an aircraft if the item poses a security threat. Therefore, TSOs make the final decision on whether to permit certain items into the sterile areas of the airport. In addition, the prohibited and permitted items list is not intended to be all-inclusive; TSA reviews these lists periodically, and changes are announced and posted as necessary.

The liquid content of e-cigarettes and refills is also generally permitted through TSA security checkpoints if it is compliant with 3-1-1 rules. Current TSA policy allows passengers to carry liquids, gels, and aerosols through the security checkpoint in their carry-on property in containers of 3.4 ounces or smaller. At the screening checkpoint, each passenger is asked to remove his or her quart-size bag of liquids, gels, and aerosols and place it on the conveyor belt for proper security screening. For more information about TSA’s 3-1-1 policy, please see http: www.tsa.gov 311 index.shtm.

Passengers wishing to use e-cigarettes on commercial aircraft are encouraged to contact their airlines—TSA does not regulate the use of e-cigarettes in aircraft cabins.

We encourage all travelers to familiarize themselves with TSA Travel Tips prior to their trip. Our Web site, www.tsa.gov, has information about prohibited and permitted items, the screening process and procedures, and guidance for special considerations that may assist in preparing for air travel. Travelers can go directly to these tips at http: www.tsa.gov traveler-information .

Passengers may carry most consumer batteries and personal battery-powered devices through security screening checkpoints and on board commercial aircraft. Spare batteries placed in a passenger’s carry-on baggage must be protected from damage and short circuit, and battery-powered devices should be protected from accidental activation.

When intended for personal use, there is generally no restriction on the number of spare batteries allowed in carry-on baggage. This applies to cell phone batteries, hearing-aid button cells, most standard laptop computer batteries, and AA and AAA batteries commonly available in retail stores.

Batteries allowed in carry-on baggage and in aircraft cabins include:

• Dry cell alkaline batteries (common-use AA, AAA, C, D, 9-volt, etc.).
• Dry cell rechargeable batteries, such as Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) and Nickel Cadmium (NiCad).
• Lithium ion batteries (such as rechargeable lithium and lithium polymer batteries found in cameras, cell phones, laptop computers and radio-controlled toys) with less than 8 grams of equivalent lithium content (ELC) (or 100 watt hours per battery).
• Up to two (2) larger lithium ion batteries (more than 8 grams, up to 25 grams of ELC per battery), such as batteries found in large, after-market laptop computers or used in professional audio-visual application.
• Lithium metal batteries (non-rechargeable and primary lithium batteries) generally used with cameras and other small personal electronics.

With the exception of spare (uninstalled) lithium batteries, all batteries allowed in carry-on baggage are allowed in checked baggage. Batteries in checked baggage must be installed in a device or, if uninstalled, protected from damage and short circuit. If original packaging is not available for spare batteries, passengers should insulate battery terminals from contact with metal and other batteries. Each battery should be placed in its own protective case, plastic bag, or package, or secured with tape across the battery's contacts to isolate terminals. Spare lithium batteries (both lithium metal and lithium ion/polymer) are prohibited in checked baggage. In addition, lithium ion batteries rated over 300 watt hours (25g ELC) are forbidden.

Please be advised that while TSA screens all checked baggage, airlines make the decision to remove dangerous or hazardous materials from checked bags following inspection. Therefore, we recommend that travelers contact their airline prior to their travel date to determine any additional guidelines.

For further information regarding the transport of batteries and battery-powered devices on commercial aircraft, travelers should visit the U.S. Department of Transportation’s (DOT) Web site athttp://safetravel.dot.gov.

We hope this information is helpful.

TSA Contact Center

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
An UPDATE TODAY NOV. 7 2014 after speaking with a TSA employee, who actually vapes herself, she sent me an email about specifics on batteries and E-cigs, this is a direct copy and paste from part of the email:

E-cigarettes and their components, such as the mouthpiece, heating element, and power supply, are not on TSA’s prohibited items list and generally are permitted through the screening checkpoint after proper security screening.

It is important to note, however, that regardless of whether an item is on the prohibited or permitted items list, Transportation Security Officers (TSOs) have discretion to prohibit an individual from carrying an item through the screening checkpoint or onboard an aircraft if the item poses a security threat. Therefore, TSOs make the final decision on whether to permit certain items into the sterile areas of the airport. In addition, the prohibited and permitted items list is not intended to be all-inclusive; TSA reviews these lists periodically, and changes are announced and posted as necessary.

The liquid content of e-cigarettes and refills is also generally permitted through TSA security checkpoints if it is compliant with 3-1-1 rules. Current TSA policy allows passengers to carry liquids, gels, and aerosols through the security checkpoint in their carry-on property in containers of 3.4 ounces or smaller. At the screening checkpoint, each passenger is asked to remove his or her quart-size bag of liquids, gels, and aerosols and place it on the conveyor belt for proper security screening. For more information about TSA’s 3-1-1 policy, please see http: www.tsa.gov 311 index.shtm.

Passengers wishing to use e-cigarettes on commercial aircraft are encouraged to contact their airlines—TSA does not regulate the use of e-cigarettes in aircraft cabins.

We encourage all travelers to familiarize themselves with TSA Travel Tips prior to their trip. Our Web site, www.tsa.gov, has information about prohibited and permitted items, the screening process and procedures, and guidance for special considerations that may assist in preparing for air travel. Travelers can go directly to these tips at http: www.tsa.gov traveler-information .

Passengers may carry most consumer batteries and personal battery-powered devices through security screening checkpoints and on board commercial aircraft. Spare batteries placed in a passenger’s carry-on baggage must be protected from damage and short circuit, and battery-powered devices should be protected from accidental activation.

When intended for personal use, there is generally no restriction on the number of spare batteries allowed in carry-on baggage. This applies to cell phone batteries, hearing-aid button cells, most standard laptop computer batteries, and AA and AAA batteries commonly available in retail stores.

Batteries allowed in carry-on baggage and in aircraft cabins include:

• Dry cell alkaline batteries (common-use AA, AAA, C, D, 9-volt, etc.).
• Dry cell rechargeable batteries, such as Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) and Nickel Cadmium (NiCad).
• Lithium ion batteries (such as rechargeable lithium and lithium polymer batteries found in cameras, cell phones, laptop computers and radio-controlled toys) with less than 8 grams of equivalent lithium content (ELC) (or 100 watt hours per battery).
• Up to two (2) larger lithium ion batteries (more than 8 grams, up to 25 grams of ELC per battery), such as batteries found in large, after-market laptop computers or used in professional audio-visual application.
• Lithium metal batteries (non-rechargeable and primary lithium batteries) generally used with cameras and other small personal electronics.

With the exception of spare (uninstalled) lithium batteries, all batteries allowed in carry-on baggage are allowed in checked baggage. Batteries in checked baggage must be installed in a device or, if uninstalled, protected from damage and short circuit. If original packaging is not available for spare batteries, passengers should insulate battery terminals from contact with metal and other batteries. Each battery should be placed in its own protective case, plastic bag, or package, or secured with tape across the battery's contacts to isolate terminals. Spare lithium batteries (both lithium metal and lithium ion/polymer) are prohibited in checked baggage. In addition, lithium ion batteries rated over 300 watt hours (25g ELC) are forbidden.

Please be advised that while TSA screens all checked baggage, airlines make the decision to remove dangerous or hazardous materials from checked bags following inspection. Therefore, we recommend that travelers contact their airline prior to their travel date to determine any additional guidelines.

For further information regarding the transport of batteries and battery-powered devices on commercial aircraft, travelers should visit the U.S. Department of Transportation’s (DOT) Web site athttp://safetravel.dot.gov.

We hope this information is helpful.

TSA Contact Center

Much appreciated. :)

BigDog99

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Very informative. Thx!

Is it okay if I have my coils in my rda or do I have to take them out?

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
just be sure to turn your mod off before putting it in your carry-on

VU Sponsors