Become a Patron!

Tube mod with protection

svist

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi all

I don't need VV, VW or TC in my mod but I need some protection. That what is keeping me away from true mechs yet. Currently I'm using SMOKE ONE PLUS and I'm love it for its size, but I'd like it being more metal (to be not afraid of dropping or putting in the pocket together with keys or something) and having removable batts.

Maybe you could advise some solid metall tube mods of similar size (70-75mm long, 25mm diameter) with SC protection?

I use 0.4-0.6ohm coils 30-40w. I've found kicks for mechs but those I've found were for high resistances (1.0-2.0) and low wattage (5-15w).

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have no idea why you would want a kick,,,if you vape at .4 and .6....I didn't think they even made the things anymore..I'm not real sure but you might check the diameter of 26650 tube mods...the most important thing you need is don't buy a hybrid if your concerned with saftey,buy a tube mod with either adjustable contacts or a flaoting pin...a lock ring is essential if you are going to carry a mod around in your pocket... buy the best batteries you can get with high amp ratings....and pay attention to building your coils that the coils aren't touching the atty deck..If you have good batteries , building at around .4 or .6 isn't really pushing the saftey envelope, you should be well within the parameters of saftey.AW IMR batteries have been around a long time and have a reputation for saftey....a protected battery...you want to make sure your mod has plenty of vent holes so in the off chance something happens the battery can vent easily..you want to have an ohmmeter to check that your coil is at the resistance you want and that the coil is not shorting out somewhere..
Usually what happens isn't that mods explode in people's pockets..it is almost always people put batteries in their pocket without the battery being in a case that keeps them from touching metal...the battery short against keys and coins and that causes a short.

Last edited:

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I forget what they were actually called but there was a "Fuse" meant to be used with an 18650 battery in a mech mod.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I forget what they were actually called but there was a "Fuse" meant to be used with an 18650 battery in a mech mod.
yep ..I remeber those..something like a penny fuse or something..I thought that there are batteries who have them built into them.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Why not just buy good batteries?

Don't need protection if you are not building or vaping beyond the safe zone. People who have bad things happens with vapes. Do so by doing things that are beyond the capabilities of their gear...... even protected devices ventilate. . If used improperly.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

svist

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have no idea why you would want a kick,,,if you vape at .4 and .6....I didn't think they even made the things anymore..I'm not real sure but you might check the diameter of 26650 tube mods...the most important thing you need is don't buy a hybrid if your concerned with saftey,buy a tube mod with either adjustable contacts or a flaoting pin...a lock ring is essential if you are going to carry a mod around in your pocket... buy the best batteries you can get with high amp ratings....and pay attention to building your coils that the coils aren't touching the atty deck..If you have good batteries , building at around .4 or .6 isn't really pushing the saftey envelope, you should be well within the parameters of saftey.AW IMR batteries have been around a long time and have a reputation for saftey....

I don't want a kick like old ones were :) I was just asking maybe there are some new kicks made for sub-ohm vapers.

I'm concerned about SC because when I was using Joytech eGo ONE V2 I had numerous issues with SC on factory built coils! 2-5 times a day I had CS, It requires unscrewing and screwing back in the coil to fix it. After I switched to RTA tanks I haven’t got a single SC for more than a year now but that's kinda became my paranoia :)

By the way, what is actually happen when you got the SC on mech? Does the battery starts leaking/sets on fire/explodes immediately? )) Or it will just damages with minor aftermath for the mod and the hands?

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
True that, just digging ....
In all honesty, if you're using good batteries, with a good 510 and keep your equipment clean, you should be fine with that build.
With a 20a battery at 3.7 v and a 0.5ohm build you're only pulling 7.4a
At 4.0v you're pulling only 8a...

I'm all for safety, and wish they would make fuses and updated kicks to meet today's demand; but, you're well in the safety zone.

All I would say is make sure if you're using a hybrid, you are doing it safely
Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Why not just buy good batteries?

Don't need protection if you are not building or vaping beyond the safe zone. People who have bad things happens with vapes. Do so by doing things that are beyond the capabilities of their gear...... even protected devices ventilate. . If used improperly.

unfortunately it seems alot of newbies have got the idea in their heads that vaping at .1 ohms is normal....it has become fashionable...honestly I don't think alot of them even suspect you can vape a 1.5 ohms...the idea has become just.."how do I get bigger clouds bra"...and with all the sub-ohm tanks around and dual coils...i think alot of newbies don't even realizr there are other ways of vaping or the joy of vaping a .8 coil.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Kick is old news and is not really the solution here.

Regulated tube mods are considered cheap entry level gear and as such are quite flimsy, though even more advanced and sturdier gear is not meant to be dropped either.

If you want to advance to better gear, get a box mod.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Kick is old news and is not really the solution here.

Regulated tube mods are considered cheap entry level gear and as such are quite flimsy, though even more advanced and sturdier gear is not meant to be dropped either.

If you want to advance to better gear, get a box mod.
why..why a box mod over a good mech tube mod....if he's vaping at .4 or .6 unless you're just interested in getting something you can put 2 or more batteries into...but as for advanced or sturdier I'm not sure that's true.

Last edited:

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A kick is a good solution IF you want to vape at 1.2 ohms or more and 12 watts. I know it says 15. That's at 4.2volts. 1 hit.

I still use them in my tube mech and REO...... With 18500 batts....
Great way to take a regulated vape somewhere you don't want to take you digibox. I drop my kicked mech in a creek hiking. Yank kick blow mod dry remove spacer and vapeon... little more difficult with a digimod.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't want a kick like old ones were :) I was just asking maybe there are some new kicks made for sub-ohm vapers.

I'm concerned about SC because when I was using Joytech eGo ONE V2 I had numerous issues with SC on factory built coils! 2-5 times a day I had CS, It requires unscrewing and screwing back in the coil to fix it. After I switched to RTA tanks I haven’t got a single SC for more than a year now but that's kinda became my paranoia :)

By the way, what is actually happen when you got the SC on mech? Does the battery starts leaking/sets on fire/explodes immediately? )) Or it will just damages with minor aftermath for the mod and the hands?
in most cases the firing button or the tube will start getting hot and the battery will vent gas out of the mod but won't blow up, or your coil will pop....what can happen and is dangerous is when the batterry touches the 510 connection of the atty because in the case of say a hybrid mech mod the atties 510 pin is not sitting well below the 510 connection and the battery touches the 510 connection ....or the pin of the atty is pushed up into the atty and the batterry touches the connection...then you can get thermal runaway..boom....this is why mech hybrids are a bit risky, although there are ways of protecting yourself using a mech hybrid that will ensure there is no physical way for the battery to touch the 510 connection or the mod....this is why you never force anything on a mech..if something isn';t working you figure out why...you just don't keep screwing harder or force things to fit.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A kick is a good solution IF you want to vape at 1.2 ohms or more and 12 watts. I know it says 15. That's at 4.2volts. 1 hit.

I still use them in my tube mech and REO...... With 18500 batts....
Great way to take a regulated vape somewhere you don't want to take you digibox. I drop my kicked mech in a creek hiking. Yank kick blow mod dry remove spacer and vapeon... little more difficult with a digimod.

you still use a kick?....the only use I could ever see for those things is if you're the kind of person who likes to change their wattage alot during the day..usually I have a pretty close zone

svist

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm not a totally newbie, I vape for like a 1.5 years and started with MTL at 2.0 ohms. My batts are not bad - LG HG2.

I have two regulated mods with TC and stuff 50w and 100w, but they are to large to be my EDC mods. I love the size of SMOK ONE PLUS but I wanna it to be sturdier, solid metal (I carry it in the pocket for 3 month carefully and it looks like shit already) and have changeable batteries.

As I've told before SC id my paranoia because I had an issue with Joyetech eGo ONE. But you guys like calming me down with that. Maybe I'll just buy a good mech tube with good regulated pin connector.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not a totally newbie, I vape for like a 1.5 years and started with MTL at 2.0 ohms. My batts are not bad - LG HG2.

I have two regulated mods with TC and stuff 50w and 100w, but they are to large to be my EDC mods. I love the size of SMOK ONE PLUS but I wanna it to be sturdier, solid metal (I carry it in the pocket for 3 month carefully and it looks like shit already) and have changeable batteries.

As I've told before SC id my paranoia because I had an issue with Joyetech eGo ONE. But you guys like calming me down with that. Maybe I'll just buy a good mech tube with good regulated pin connector.
I gotta say..I know nothing about prebuilt coils, I'm talking only within the shpere of rebuildables.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I have to say the questions you are asking are brilliant and should be asked by everyone.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
you still use a kick?....the only use I could ever see for those things is if you're the kind of person who likes to change their wattage alot during the day..usually I have a pretty close zone

My favorite vape when out in the woods....is a kayfun or my chalice 3 at 1.3ohms with twisted 32 nichrome kick set to about 90%. Don't know something about the pine trees at altitude..I guess.

At home work I am running 18650 no kicks and .5 to .9 in the mechs or regulated. I rarely run regulated at above 20-25watts.

And you don't use a kick if you like changing wattage..... they suck for that.... you use one for the consistency of hit.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My favorite vape when out in the woods....is a kayfun or my chalice 3 at 1.3ohms with twisted 32 nichrome kick set to about 90%. Don't know something about the pine trees at altitude..I guess.

At home work I am running 18650 no kicks and .5 to .9 in the mechs or regulated. I rarely run regulated at above 20-25watts.

And you don't use a kick if you like changing wattage..... they suck for that.... you use one for the consistency of hit.

I'm not that subtle...I know where my build flys at 3.9 and I just fly there... little high little low, until it gets flaccid then just change batteries.....I haven't owned a regulated mod in years...been thinking of getting one just for that conisitency thing.but I like the way mechs hit.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'm not that subtle...I know where my build flys at 3.9 and I just fly there... little high little low, until it gets flaccid then just change batteries.....I haven't owned a regulated mod in years...been thinking of getting one just for that conisitency thing.but I like the way mechs hit.
You should get a
Provape Procyon

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
they make good sturdy shit no doubt.I need a tube , becuase I only vape gennys and I need to have the airhole facing me,
That's why I suggested it.
I'm not kidding, I have one and love the thing.
It doesn't do TC (which you have no interest in) it does 50w and has a boost function, which you may like with the gennies)
I normally use it with a hadlay RDA -single coil around 35w and it's smoother than barbies ass.
They had some in the blem stock around 150$ last I checked.
It's one of those things where, when I got it, I figured you as a perfect fit for it.

It's a pricey looking at the available mods, but you and I have both spent more on mechmods; and, other than the mod101 and dicodes nothing else really falls into that category.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's why I suggested it.
I'm not kidding, I have one and love the thing.
It doesn't do TC (which you have no interest in) it does 50w and has a boost function, which you may like with the gennies)
I normally use it with a hadlay RDA -single coil around 35w and it's smoother than barbies ass.
They had some in the blem stock around 150$ last I checked.
It's one of those things where, when I got it, I figured you as a perfect fit for it.

It's a pricey looking at the available mods, but you and I have both spent more on mechmods; and, other than the mod101 and dicodes nothing else really falls into that category.

it'll have to wait...I just bought a nanos from MMV in Greece....I just got it last weekend.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
it'll have to wait...I just bought a nanos from MMV in Greece....I just got it last weekend.
Those are on my long list of things I want to get.lol
I almost pulled the trigger on a GP, back when Greece's economy fell to pieces and I put everything there on the back burner.

How is it?

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Those are on my long list of things I want to get.lol
I almost pulled the trigger on a GP, back when Greece's economy fell to pieces and I put everything there on the back burner.

How is it?

fucking amazing...the button is incredible and the thing hits as hard as a hybrid.it's is so well designed and so well built..silver plated rhodium contacts.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
fucking amazing...the button is incredible and the thing hits as hard as a hybrid.it's is so well designed and so well built..silver plated rhodium contacts.
Damn... Congrats dude!
Now I'm jealous they do make some seriously nice gear! Italy has had some nice mechs releasing as of late too.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Damn... Congrats dude!
Now I'm jealous they do make some seriously nice gear! Italy has had some nice mechs releasing as of late too.

Oh, you'd have the same problem with the nanos that you had with the GP...you can't vape the nanos below.5....not to familiar with Italians mods..Italians really know how to design beautiful stuff, I'm just not so sure at how well they are built..although I gotta say I own a BMG-22 genny from Italy, and that thing is built like a swiss watch..the quality of the materials and the craftsmenship is very very high as high as a Hellfire I owned. One of the great things about using mechs right now is you can buy amazing pieces of gear for 1/3 of what they sold for two years ago, you can buy gear that will last a lifetime for the price of chinese shit.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Oh, you'd have the same problem with the nanos that you had with the GP...you can't vape the nanos below.5....not to familiar with Italians mods..Italians really know how to design beautiful stuff, I'm just not so sure at how well they are built..although I gotta say I own a BMG-22 genny from Italy, and that thing is built like a swiss watch..the quality of the materials and the craftsmenship is very very high as high as a Hellfire I owned. One of the great things about using mechs right now is you can buy amazing pieces of gear for 1/3 of what they sold for two years ago, you can buy gear that will last a lifetime for the price of chinese shit.
I saw a while back Hyperion was giving them away, but I haven't seen those prices to much lately.

Yeah, the Italian shit is top notch! Most European stuff is really.

VU Sponsors