Become a Patron!

twisted kanthal help needed

jsr27

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Can someone explain to me the difference of using twisted kanthal rather than using single strand kanthal. What's the benefits of using twisted kanthal? Will it produce bigger clouds? I heard it boosts the flavor. Any help would be appreciated. :D

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It does boost the flavor due to bigger surface area.
It's also a good way to find a use for Kanthal that you find too thin.

Derty

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I agree with nightshard. I tried twisted and didnt care much for it but like EVERYONE says; "Taste is subjective". Hook some kanthal up to a drill and make some twisted and try it. Never know, you may love it.

DustinB

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I actually found the opposite, somehow it had less flavor when I tried it.

zolt

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Twisted wire generally has a higher resistance compared to wire of similar thickness (say comparing twisted 28g to 26g) or parallel coils. The surface area is bigger because the wire is thicker and also because it has those ridges between the twists, so that probably explains the difference some people are getting. It might also perform worse in some cases because it takes long to heat up, so your hit might be over before it even heats properly - make sure you don't build your ohms too high.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Twisted wire generally has a higher resistance compared to wire of similar thickness (say comparing twisted 28g to 26g) or parallel coils. The surface area is bigger because the wire is thicker and also because it has those ridges between the twists, so that probably explains the difference some people are getting. It might also perform worse in some cases because it takes long to heat up, so your hit might be over before it even heats properly - make sure you don't build your ohms too high.
Twisted 28 (2 strand) has higher resistance then 26 plainly because 2 strands of 28 has higher resistance the 26 twisted or not.
The higher the mass of the coil (wider and/or longer) the longer it takes to heat up and cool down.

VU Sponsors