Become a Patron!

Twisted Question

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've only started building recently. I tried twisted coils today and they are pretty good. The only thing is, when I do up the coil on a coil calculator my single came out to 0.85ohm. I put it in my goblin mini and it came out at just that but after pulsing and pinching it jumped to 1.14. That seems like a big jump to me, is that normal? It's twisted 30g kanthal, wrapped 2.4mm id, 6 wraps.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Did you make the twisted wire, or did you buy it?

If you made it, you can throw off that coil resistance by at least .25 ohm just by how tight or loose you twist the wire.

If you bought it, and your coil calculator doesn't have twist pitch, your calculator could be assuming too much.

http://www.steam-engine.org/wirewiz.asp
Thanks for the response!
I twisted it myself and my calculator does not have twist pitch.
What twist pitch? lol

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I can't take decent close-up pics, but this is good enough for the explanation.

Twist Pitch 2 point 5 mm 26 gauge.jpg

Twist pitch is essentially the measurement between ridges. This is 2-strand 26-gauge twisted Kanthal with a twist pitch of 2.5mm.

To make it easier on yourself, count the ridges in 10 or 20 centimeters and divide. Here you see almost exactly 4 ridges in the span of 10mm, so 10 divided by 4 is 2.5.

According to Steam Engine, your coil would be about 1 ohm if you had a twist pitch of 2.5mm.

If you make your twist tighter, there's more wire, which means more resistance. Your coil would be 1.265 ohm if you had a twist pitch of 0.5mm.

I used to twist my wire until the Kanthal snapped off the chuck. This last batch (in the pic), I stopped early and the coils were perfect for my setup. So I'll be measuring while I twist for my next batch.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Perfect. Thank you!
That will be very useful the next time I make more.

d2bfaacc7deab1c13962d501ed22852f.jpg

Had same problem until I got the tension just right. Seems that it can flex when heated. Maybe I'm wrong but once I got it super tight ohm quit jumping.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
d2bfaacc7deab1c13962d501ed22852f.jpg

Had same problem until I got the tension just right. Seems that it can flex when heated. Maybe I'm wrong but once I got it super tight ohm quit jumping.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Oh, makes sense! I'll keep more tension next time as well

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Also sometimes you have to retighten the post screws after pulsing. Loose connection could account for an OHM jump.
This^
Ohms reading higher than expected or jumping up, tighten things up and check connections (could be the coil in the deck or the 510 connection, check both).

Ohm reading lower than you thought, check for a short, could just be some wire touching and having hot spots, wiggle and tweak them out and you'll see it rise.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Ive never measured the Twists, I usually go by "feel" but I try to always get 4 ridges within an inch when making wire as one inch is a full wrap on a 3mm coil...
2 x 4 x .5 Ribbon Wrapped in 40N80 Twisted  Helixed with 32K.jpg Supreme Twiste' 22K 3x32K Twisted 30K 38N60 Fused Clapton Staged with 22K  .jpg Supreme Twiste' 22K 3x32K Twisted 30K 38N60 Fused Clapton Staged with 22K.jpg Mesmorizing Build.jpg

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That is some wicked wire!

ljbmx1211

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've only started building recently. I tried twisted coils today and they are pretty good. The only thing is, when I do up the coil on a coil calculator my single came out to 0.85ohm. I put it in my goblin mini and it came out at just that but after pulsing and pinching it jumped to 1.14. That seems like a big jump to me, is that normal? It's twisted 30g kanthal, wrapped 2.4mm id, 6 wraps.

Hey I've learnt a lot from
Twisted messes, with twisted builds don't be afraid to push the limits of the twists. Twist it up as tight as possible. When it breaks at the chuck of the drill flip it over and take pliers and twisted till it breaks one last time, Makes it very tight and it's a nice vape and nice flavor. A lot of time twisted builds like to short out with in them selfs when pulsing (firing) taking out hot spots after making them glow nice and evenly it should read out a different ohm, I know because I build twisted a lot

Chewy

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just build this one today and only had one hotspot which sorted out by its self only got 0.02 ohms up. Like others have said if it moves to much it's probably loose a bit

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    906.3 KB · Views: 20

ljbmx1211

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Twisted wire also jumps ohms because it tends to short out within its self when pulsing it so when it's firing all evenly and tightened down the ohms
Stay at what it reads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors