Become a Patron!

Twisted wire questions

Mroutlaw

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So I've finally ventured into twisted wire after 4 years of vaping. The main reason is so I can twist kanthal and ni200 for my temperature control devices. I've had a lot of luck, but I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to get the springiness out of it after I twist it.

I'm twisting 28gauge ni200 with 28 kanthal and 30ni200 with 30kanthal. When I try and wrap on a 2.5 or 3mm rod, it just springs out of shape, even after I fasten the leads in my rda. Ends up being a curve instead of a straight coil. BTW, I'm doing spaced coils since contact coils don't work well on TC devices.

Would it be better to wrap a thicker gauge kanthal with a thinner ni200, or vice versa?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
When I made a twisted (all Kanthal) wire, I torched the twisted wire before making the wraps. That helped taking out the springiness.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
An easier way is to just use your cordless drill.

After you spool off your wire, put it in the drill chuck and hold onto the other end with a pair of pliers/vice grips. Cranking the drill up to full speed for about 3-4 seconds will make your individual strands straight as an arrow. This removes a lot of the tension that causes springiness before you even twist them up.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am still conducting research into this. I like at least .28 as a core. Rest I just double over and spin till done. Most of the time I fire it on the mod I am going to use. No cotton. Burns in nice. Easy to make sure their connected properly.

Thebrain

Member For 4 Years
WHAT GAUGE NI200 should I be using to get my rebuilt kanger OCC T.C. coils to the factory.15 ohms I,M thinking 26 gauge 5 wraps at 3mm what do you guys think sound rite or am I off if so what gauge should I be using at what mm and how many wraps any help would be appreciated before I spend 4 ON NI200 26 Gauge

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
WHAT GAUGE NI200 should I be using to get my rebuilt kanger OCC T.C. coils to the factory.15 ohms I,M thinking 26 gauge 5 wraps at 3mm what do you guys think sound rite or am I off if so what gauge should I be using at what mm and how many wraps any help would be appreciated before I spend 4 ON NI200 26 Gauge
Take a look at http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp

Mroutlaw

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

pull out the coil and see whats in there. Best thing to do is straighten the coil thats in there and measure how long the wire is. That will give you a better figure to put into steam engine. I would find it hard to believe they used 26 gauge though. That would require too many wraps

Mroutlaw

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

I pulled one of mine apart. It's 110mm of 28 gauge. It was 7/8 wraps on what appears to be a 3mm rod

Mroutlaw

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I just rebuilt 2 of them. It took 7 wraps of 28 gauge ni200 , spaced to get .12ohms and 5 wraps of 30 gauge ni200 to get .15ohms Both were on 3mm rod

VU Sponsors