Become a Patron!

twisting a single strand of round wire

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Lots of coils are made with a single strand.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
People do it to straighten the wire when it's come off the spool ..I tend to just stretch mine now
but no not normally done that I know off it would probably just stress the wire I reckon

Or do you mean folding it in half and twisting it cause lots of people do that?

Or are you talking about using a single wire to create a coil with? Again lots of people do that

helmet648

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
yeah sorry i wasn't completely clear in my wording. i am talking about using the technique to create a twisted parallel wire using a drill and a pair of pliers, but only using 1 wire, not folded in half. i tried it and while it didn't stretch, i watched it do something.... not quite sure what. made 2 of them put them in my tfv8 rba on my sigelei fuchai 213 plus with 150w .5sec pre-heat then down to 88w

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've done that just to straighten the wire. But like KingPin, I now just give it a lil stretch to straighten it. Not sure what other effect, if any, it has on the build.

Nekrabyte

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i just twisted my first wire, if you're curious as to how it affects the build (per steam-engine), i managed to twist my wire 1.2mm in between each ridge (pitch), and 9 wraps with 26g kanthal A-1 gets me .35 ohm, and heat flux at 158W @ 7.4V, if i switch to non twisted 9 wraps, its .45 ohm and a LOT less W (like 55) and not even using anywhere near battery max juice to heat to "too hot" (again, according to steam engine), and if you wanted the same ohm with that wire not twisted, its 7 wraps, AND since its not twisted you get a lot less surface area, and therefore less clouds and what have you... but you do save battery life haha

VU Sponsors