Become a Patron!

Type of build for a fast, cool vape in a 35-50 watt range

Swaglife81

Member For 4 Years
What kind of build do you guys suggest for a cool vape. Doesn't have to be crazy. I'm not a hotter vape guy. Always been happy in that 38-50 watt world of Smok Big Baby coils with a smooth dense vape but still on the cooler side.

I have some stuff on order, new tanks single and dual coil decks, don't want to get into all the brand stuff. I don't want to go chasing 100 plus watt 5 second ramp ups.

I'm wanting to try SS in TC mode to keep the vape cool but smooth. I tend to like the easier pull off a .15 to .20 ohm coil or coils but if the ohms are higher with just as much vapor and ease of pull strength I'm all for it.

Would a basic 26 gauge parallel build be the perfect setup? I figured there has to be some cool vapors like me out there

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If your mod does TC well, you can get a cool vape from most any TC-able coil.

Parallel builds on a regulated mod are not necessary. A 10-wrap coil will work the same as two 5-wraps in parallel, because the mod will adjust voltage to produce the wattage you set.

The mass of the coil determines ramp time. 30g will ramp faster than 28g will ramp faster than 26g etc. Thinner wire also cools faster.

Personally, I prefer 26 to 30 gauge core wire wrapped with 36 gauge and higher. I like a cooler vape, too. I stay under 400°F, usually 350-360. I also like a dense vape and quick ramp up. For me, 4-6 wrap triple-core claptons and aliens from 0.1 - 0.3ohms @ anywhere from 50 - 150W do the job well.

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would say, for stainless steel, that perhaps a 24g dual coil at 8 wraps each 3mm id. That will put it around .19-.2Ω. If you have an atty that can hold more wraps the the wattage will go down and the vape even cooler as the wraps go up.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Swaglife81

Member For 4 Years
Thanks. The builds will go on a Kylin from Vandy and a OBS Engine Nano. So I'm going to have single and dual builds.

I'm not at the point to build crazy stuff but would love to try some stuff out like Vertabraids, Staggered, stapled, etc but companies seem really different in wire gauges. Guess it's all subjective and I just need to test it all out. I haven't experienced a long ramp up so I'm not even sure what's considered a long ramp up in 2017 standards. Sorry for not saying I have a TC mod. Besides a mech I just assume all new mods are TC capable these days like power steering on a car.

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Some mods are more capable than others. Hohmtech,, Smoant, and most of the DNA mods do TC well. The rest, kinda hit and miss from what I understand.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Personally, if I don't hear juice sizzling as soon as I hit the fire button, that's a long ramp up. Right now I have a single 4 wrap 28/36 ss316L alien, 3.5mm id, cooking at 51W at 400F in the Ijoy EXO on my Hohmslice. My puffs are usually in the 2 to 2 1/2 second range, but if I wanna do a long, lung-filling, room-fogging pull, I can do it without burning my mouth. And I've got dual 26ka1/34ss316L aliens, 4 wrap, 2.5mm id, in my Aromamizer Supreme @ 111W, 360F that produce just stoopid flavor and clouds. They make my wife give me the stinkeye when I exhale in her direction LOL.
I recommend you PM raymo2u, whiteowl84, or b_d builders here on the forum, if you want seriously quality prebuilt coils. I think any of them will build whatever you want, and even help you figure out what you want if you aren't sure.

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Honestly for low wastage and great flavor, Oh would try perhaps a simple clapton coil at 28ka1/36gka1 or even perhaps a fused clapton with 2x28gka1/36gka1. If you want to go even lower wastage make the fused clapton something like 2x30gka1/38gka1. That will give a fast ramp up and good flavor also.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Swaglife81

Member For 4 Years
It's ironic you replied because earlier today I wrapped up a 28/36 gauge Clapton spaced at .30 ohms. I did go SS however, ramp up is much faster than wattage with the same coils. I'm running at 380 degrees Fahrenheit and 40 Watts but I have to adjust to it. I'm new to fancier coils and TC. Still seems warmer than my liking but I'm getting alot more vapor in a much faster timeframe too. Plus I just switched to a Big Baby Beast RBA from the baby so I have more airflow. I'm not getting any leaking and tried different wicking thicknesses but the taste just isn't there yet. Clouds are dense and really smooth hits but I can still slightly taste the cotton bacon still. Not burning but I guess alot of it is coil placement. Seems when I'm ready to order a RTA they are out of stock

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you want fast, you want a smaller gauge wire. Preheat is your friend too.

If you want cool *and* maintain flavor and vapor production (which I assume is what you want), then I find that pretty much depends entirely on the type of atomizer you intend to use. Lowering the wattage or the temperature, using a longer drip tip, or a drip tip with a secondary air intake, will kill flavor and vapor production. A drip tip heat sink helps some, but it won't lower the temperature much.

My experience is that unless a particular atomizer happens to produce a good cool vape naturally by design, cool and flavor are mutually exclusive. I've yet to try one that produces a cool vape that I truly like, but the attys I own that come close to doing that at the wattage range you suggest are all big tanks with small chambers.

VU Sponsors