• Kanthal

• Nichrome

• Stainless Steel

• Nickel

• Titanium

Results are only viewable after voting.

iMaverick

Member For 1 Year
Hi Everyone, sorry in advance if there is a thread with the same content.
I am new to coil building and in general all to do with vaping, not accessible to purchase OCC so decided the coil building route.
I did a bit of research and got mix results with being reliable and safe to metal poisoning. Please help me understand,

I am running a DUEL series (velocity style) Kendo Wike Nichrome Ni80 24G wire, normally warp 7-10 rounds at 3.0mm (roughly 0.26-0.36Ohms) on a Manta RTA tank combined with the KENDO Japanese organic cotton fired at 45-55 Watts on a G-Priv 2 with duel LG-H4-18650.

I want to know the difference between Nichrome N80 and Ni80? Steam-Engine only has N80(A).
Is my above set up safe?
Should I use a different type of wire? (Preferred slightly cool hit with little to no throat hit)

in 2 weeks, I have puffed roughly 600times with 1 full battery charge cycle at roughly 1.5-2 second burst, wicked twice and it tastes not like it used to, rough throat hit as well, how often should I change the coil and cotton? is this the point i need to change the coil and cotton, cotton is fairly new (maybe less than 150 puffs).

Sorry for the long post, at first it was great, now kinda annoyed, trying to get hold of X-baby Tank with OCC as coil building is not very consistent with flavor and throat hit (maybe I am doing it wrong).

Please Advice.

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I am new to coil building and in general all to do with vaping, not accessible to purchase OCC so decided the coil building route.
I did a bit of research and got mix results with being reliable and safe to metal poisoning. Please help me understand,

I am running a DUEL series (velocity style) Kendo Wike Nichrome Ni80 24G wire, normally warp 7-10 rounds at 3.0mm (roughly 0.26-0.36Ohms) on a Manta RTA tank combined with the KENDO Japanese organic cotton fired at 45-55 Watts on a G-Priv 2 with duel LG-H4-18650.

I want to know the difference between Nichrome N80 and Ni80? Steam-Engine only has N80(A).
Is my above set up safe?
Should I use a different type of wire? (Preferred slightly cool hit with little to no throat hit)

in 2 weeks, I have puffed roughly 600times with 1 full battery charge cycle at roughly 1.5-2 second burst, wicked twice and it tastes not like it used to, rough throat hit as well, how often should I change the coil and cotton? is this the point i need to change the coil and cotton, cotton is fairly new (maybe less than 150 puffs).

Sorry for the long post, at first it was great, now kinda annoyed, trying to get hold of X-baby Tank with OCC as coil building is not very consistent with flavor and throat hit (maybe I am doing it wrong).

Please Advice.

I could be wrong but I think N80 and Ni80 are the same thing. N80 is what I use to build. I've been building for about two years and once I tried N80 it pretty much became my preferred metal. It's a very soft metal compared to Kanthal so if your doing builds with ribbon stacks you might find the ribbon will flop a little easier with N80. If you are twisting wire N80 is going to twist very tight compared to kanthal. N80 has a lower resistance than kanthal. Because my favorite coil to build is the Alien Framed Staple Coil I tend to just do single coil builds cause I like to use .5 ribbon and if I do use .5 ribbon a dual coil will be too low for a mech mod (by my safety standards). Every now and again if I feel like doing a regular pair of aliens I'll do a dual build but N80 is generally gonna come out low. Stainless steel is another option, it works for temperature control, and it's the lowest resistance wire of them all. I would recommend trying a N80 dual fused clapton with maybe 26/36 6-7 wraps and seeing how you like it. That's my 2 cents.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Is my above set up safe?

Please Advice.

N80, Ni80, both are nichrome

Your build is safe - a wire gauge 26 or 28 will be cooler vape

Coils need to be heated to burn off old flavoring and washed before rewicking, if your metal is dark brown or black you should take wick out and Carefully glow the coils to burn off old flavor, then rinse

iMaverick

Member For 1 Year
N80, Ni80, both are nichrome

Your build is safe - a wire gauge 26 or 28 will be cooler vape

Coils need to be heated to burn off old flavoring and washed before rewicking, if your metal is dark brown or black you should take wick out and Carefully glow the coils to burn off old flavor, then rinse

I've never wash coils, but I watched a few YouTube video, I will give it a shot! I'll also try to get hold a higher gauge wire, have to order them, my country it banned :/

VU Sponsors