Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
http://www.news-medical.net/news/20...be-equally-harmful-as-tobacco-cigarettes.aspx

A study by chemists at the University of Connecticut offers new evidence that electronic cigarettes or e-cigarettes are potentially as harmful as tobacco cigarettes.

Using a new low-cost, 3-D printed testing device, UConn researchers found that e-cigarettes loaded with a nicotine-based liquid are potentially as harmful as unfiltered cigarettes when it comes to causing DNA damage.

The researchers also found that vapor from non-nicotine e-cigarettes caused as much DNA damage as filtered cigarettes, possibly due to the many chemical additives present in e-cigarette vapors. Cellular mutations caused by DNA damage can lead to cancer.

The findings appear in the journal ACS Sensors.

How much DNA damage e-cigarettes cause depends on the amount of vapor the user inhales, the other additives present, whether nicotine or non-nicotine liquid is used, and other factors, says Karteek Kadimisetty, a postdoctoral researcher in UConn's chemistry department and the study's lead author.

But one finding was clear.

"From the results of our study, we can conclude that e-cigarettes have as much potential to cause DNA damage as unfiltered regular cigarettes," Kadimisetty says.

:blah:

forza

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sigh. Smh. First... what chemicals are they specifically referring to since they don't say. Second, wtf is DNA damage? I'm fairly sure that should really be explained.

Literally this reads like ECIGS ARE GOING TO CHANGE YOUR DNA AND TURN YOU INTO A MONSTER ZOMBIE!!!

Seriously?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
What they REALLY proved is how ignorant they are, and how venal, buying right into BP's declaration that e-cigs are evil because they say they are. I'm sure they got a nice little funding packet, for saying that.

CUI BONO!

Andria

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
I did not copy the whole article and paste it here- it is much too long! I put the link of the article so it could be seen in its entirety! This was on my Yahoo news feed this AM and have already received the" I told you so" from concerned family and friends on my FB messages!
These reports are so ridiculous- what brand eliquid did they use? What is the Nic level, PG/VG level and the flavoring? How much do they consider heavy vaping? What wattage or temp, or what wire are they using?
@forza - cellular mutations caused by DNA damage can lead to cancer .
I will just keep Vaping , no way in hell does vaping become as harmful as combustible cigarettes!

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I did not copy the whole article and paste it here- it is much too long! I put the link of the article so it could be seen in its entirety! This was on my Yahoo news feed this AM and have already received the" I told you so" from concerned family and friends on my FB messages!
These reports are so ridiculous- what brand eliquid did they use? What is the Nic level, PG/VG level and the flavoring? How much do they consider heavy vaping? What wattage or temp, or what wire are they using?
@forza - cellular mutations caused by DNA damage can lead to cancer .
I will just keep Vaping , no way in hell does vaping become as harmful as combustible cigarettes!
and did they take steps to ensure the wick stayed wet, or did they burn up the wick? They supposedly did samples at 20, 60, and 100 puffs. After just a few puffs it's time for me to drip some more. Even on a tank, you can't do all that in succession. You have to give the wick time to recover.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Last edited:

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
and did they take steps to ensure the wick stayed wet, or did they burn up the wick? They supposedly did samples at 20, 60, and 100 puffs. After just a few puffs it's time for me to drip some more. Even on a tank, you can't do all that in succession. You have to give the wick time to recover.
You are so right- too many unknowns with this study to come up with Ecigs are equally as harmful as tobacco cigarettes-

VU Sponsors