Become a Patron!

UD Balrog stock coil rebuild (easy)

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I just wrap another coil. I haven't bothered trying to fit that little coil back in that housing after clipping the leads short enough.
I thought I had a good one earlier, but I was getting a bad taste. I had a not so good coil in for a longer time than I should have last night and this morning before replacing it with said good coil. I was blaming the juice being turned bad from the coil so I wrapped another one. when I took out the one I thought was good after using it for a while, I was right. It was nicely saturated and not one bit dark anywhere. That's why I blamed the juice.

Thanks! Vape on
Are you checking to see if your getting any hotspots on the coils? Try installing it without cotton and check if the coil gets hotter in specific areas and then pinch and strum the coil to fix that and then add the cotton. This could be your problem and its easily fixed.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That's easier said than done though in that coil head. A spaced coil generally heats evenly without doing that?

Thanks! Vape on

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
That's easier said than done though in that coil head. A spaced coil generally heats evenly without doing that?

Thanks! Vape on
It can heat evenly but sometimes it doesnt...I know it wont be that easy but it can be easier if you make you leads long and have the coil actually sitting above the coilhead, then pulse/pinch and then clip the leads to where you need them.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ohhhhh
I got ya. I never thought of that. I just put a 2mm ~10 wrap 28g in. From just a couple cold puffs the draw feels nice and tight with just a couple holes on the afc open. The coil and wick slid in nice and easy so I'm hoping the wicking will be good.
I know with a new stock coil you want to start at a lower than recommended wattage with little air flow and work your way up to saturate the wick but I soaked my wick before I installed it into the head. What kind of a technique would be good to use to break in a fresh built vertical?

Thanks! Vape on

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Ohhhhh
I got ya. I never thought of that. I just put a 2mm ~10 wrap 28g in. From just a couple cold puffs the draw feels nice and tight with just a couple holes on the afc open. The coil and wick slid in nice and easy so I'm hoping the wicking will be good.
I know with a new stock coil you want to start at a lower than recommended wattage with little air flow and work your way up to saturate the wick but I soaked my wick before I installed it into the head. What kind of a technique would be good to use to break in a fresh built vertical?

Thanks! Vape on
Depending on what its resistance is I would start at half the wattage you would normally use to vape it with and every 2-3 draws go up 5 watts until you get to where its where you want it and then 1 watt at a time until you think its perfect. This will give the cotton a chance to break in and you wont fry your cotton.
Make sure to take shorter pulls then normal also at first, then a bit longer then a bit more and so on until your at your normal draw time.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ok. Perfect. Thanks!!
It sits now at 1.56

Thanks! Vape on

skiibo4200

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the advise raymo2u haven't had time to keep up with the forums the last few days.. I appreciate your advice and input man.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've definitely got it. I've been vaping that coil since my last post and it's good. It's getting better every drag too! Usually I've been experiencing a good start then a sharp drop off. This is the opposite...I was about to throw I the towel. I even went as far as putting a new coil back in my nautilus mini.

Thanks! Vape on

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Anyone notice the balrog tc shuts off the power if you just hit the fire button without taking a hit. It just says no liquid and cuts off. I think that's a great feature

Sent from my Droid Turbo 2 using Tapatalk

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Anyone notice the balrog tc shuts off the power if you just hit the fire button without taking a hit. It just says no liquid and cuts off. I think that's a great feature

I haven't noticed. Is it just in TC?

Thanks! Vape on

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah only in tc

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Nice feature all the same

Thanks! Vape on

My 1.8 ohm coil slipped out of the coil head perfectly, so I took a pic of it so people could see how Youde wraps it at the factory. The 1.8 seems to be 9/10 wraps with a 2.4 mm diameter. Looks like they just cut a tiny piece of cotton and stuff between the lead and coil, then put it in and stuff cotton around it after. That would be my guess from looking at it.

Also, re-coiled it with some UD 26ga SS316 around a 3mm diameter bit, about 6 wraps for 0.5ohm load. Hitting pretty nice so far.

stock1.8-side.jpg

stock1.8-side2.jpg

stock1.8-top.jpg

Sorry top down is blurry, still learning this camera lol

Last edited:
Another update, this re-coiled 1.8 seems to have a tighter draw than I thought it would. Thought the 3mm coil would open it up some, but it didn't. I kinda like it like this, so I will wait till next time I re-coil it to see if that changes, maybe a little less cotton and it would draw a little easier, but it's cool like this for now. Nice to have temp control in this tank (I won't use the NI200 coils).

VU Sponsors