Become a Patron!

Ugh, my Sig 150 got dropped into some water...

ej.exe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Here is the story...

I was watching Arrested Development with my mom, and I noticed I got a bit of a dry burn when I took a hit on my setup. So, I set my drip tip on my lap to refill (I like dripping straight onto my coils).

Something made me get up, and my drip tip fell somewhere on the ground. It is made of POM which is a very lightweight plastic, so I didn't notice it fell because I wasn't thinking about it. I sat back down, and then realized it was missing, so I set my vape down on the coffee table to look for it. I looked under the couch cushions , under the couch, under the table, etc. It has happened before so I wasn't too worried about it, I usually find it right away.

But this time it is gone gone. I still haven't found it. Anyways my mom started helping me look for it, but in the process, she knocked my cup of tea over, and then when she went to get a towel, the coffee table got bumped and my Sig 150 tipped over straight into a bucket of water that happened to be there. She pulled it right out, and luckily it still works. But now there are a few water droplets I can see on the inside of the screen.

Like I said it still works, but I would like to get those out of there without voiding my warranty. So I want to know if anyone has any good ideas?

I was thinking of putting the thing in a bag of rice (like a cell phone that gets dropped in water) or something I feel might be even more effective, putting a couple packs of dessicant in the battery compartment and leaving them in there overnight. Seems like it would work. What do you guys think?

Thanks!
-EJ

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
hqdefault.jpg

kwtony

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The bag of rice trick is a myth...just get over that one

The gelatinization process, the term used when when rice expands, only happens when you introduce to moisture and also 140-160 degrees of heat...if you wanted to achieve the desired results, you would technically need to boil your phone at the same time. As that is the only time rice absorbs anything.

When you see it in a salt shaker, its simply theres as a "preventative measure" not a magical material that sucks water out of a nearby object...if you really think about it, it couldn't work... but thats how MYTHS works.....

just leave it about 3 feet in front of a hair dryer on low heat . make sure it doesn't get to hot to touch while its drying and youll be fine.

Ideally you just want moving air.

Trust me when I say this I owned an electronic repair store/company for 6.5 years and have been fixing electronics since I could hold a screw driver and figured out where the screws on stuff were.....i dont have the B&M downtown key west or the store in mid town any more ...

B8764C6B-D060-4BE1-9BFB-0D4292F35CB8-8445-0000030BAA38A0E8_zps29fi47la.jpg

be sure to post an update.

Last edited:

ej.exe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thanks everyone! Especially @kwtony for the years of experience!
Jeez... do you live inside of a Vaudeville stage routine? :confused:

:D
And meeah, this is just the way I talk, see? Meah! ;)

(That was my internet old-timey gangster voice)

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If you don't have a hair dryer, you could just leave it out in the sun for a few days to make sure it dries out.
Electronics are pretty durable when it comes to getting wet, as long as there is no current flowing at the time to cause a short.

That last bit is the important part. Getting wet while unpowered is no big deal. Water by itself wont damage the metal (except for rust, but that takes a lot of time), solder, chips, plastic, or other components inside. The problem occurs when water and electricity mix. So you have to make sure it has plenty of time to completely dry before any power is introduced or any left over water inside could cause a short and ruin it.

kwtony

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lol I did it for 6.5 years, I got tired of it, and mainly it as because of asshole just like you. Quite frankly, you would be blown away by what I am doing right now...but i dont owe you anything so you'll get to hear about that through the grape vine. Till then, i dont need this kind of negativity in my life. Im trying to fight for the cause here and you are trying to argue in my comment section. Grow up dude.

Yes rice absorbs water you soo smart.

kwtony

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ps i cant see you OR this other ding dong that like to follow me around and say stupid shit. So, if either of you ever say anything worth while, someone is going to have to quote your sorry asses just so i can even see it.

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-09%20at%206.08.50%20PM_zps5ju5xgv6.png

Last edited:

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I never leave a box mod or a phone in direct sunlight, too many things on the boards can be damaged by the heat. Maybe wherever you are the sun isn't blazing like it is in East Tennessee, don't know.
I'd go with the hair dryer too, and keep it moving.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

The gelatinization process, the term used when when rice expands, only happens when you introduce to moisture and also 140-160 degrees of heat...if you wanted to achieve the desired results, you would technically need to boil your phone at the same time. As that is the only time rice absorbs anything.

When you see it in a salt shaker, its simply theres as a "preventative measure" not a magical material that sucks water out of a nearby object...if you really think about it, it couldn't work... but thats how MYTHS works.....

just leave it about 3 feet in front of a hair dryer on low heat . make sure it doesn't get to hot to touch while its drying and youll be fine.

Trust me when I say this I owned an electronic repair store/company for 6.5 years and have been fixing electronics since I could hold a screw driver and figured out where the screws on stuff were.....i dont have the B&M downtown key west or the store in mid town any more ...

B8764C6B-D060-4BE1-9BFB-0D4292F35CB8-8445-0000030BAA38A0E8_zps29fi47la.jpg

For cellphones I always recommended uncooked minute rice.. did wonders but the fucktarded always ALWAYS slap that battery in it and start the process of corrosion.

Outside of that denatured alcohol, and since you can open a sigelei up to expose the guts you should be golden.

ej.exe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
@kwtony are you talking to me? All I said was thank you for your educated opinion. I see edited posts above, so hopefully it wasn't directed at me.

Again, thanks everyone for input. It was only in the water for a split second, RDA was fastened tightly enough to prevent water leakage from the top, and the battery door prevented much seepage. I packed the battery door with silica packets, closed it up, and left it overnight. It was bone dry in the morning!

Thanks for the input everyone, especially kwtony and zaroba for the experienced and detailed posts. Much obliged!

-EJ

ej.exe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Oh no sir.... U got 44 I got 915... Peace

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bro, my NAME is EJ in real life. It was a Joke. Besides, your last post was a single, unhelpful word. Get over it, no one cares how many posts you have, it is all about how useful and practical your posts are. Which in this thread, is "not at all". So thanks for stopping by, don't be a jerk about it.

-EJ (my name in real life)

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Bro, my NAME is EJ in real life. It was a Joke. Besides, your last post was a single, unhelpful word. Get over it, no one cares how many posts you have, it is all about how useful and practical your posts are. Which in this thread, is "not at all". So thanks for stopping by, don't be a jerk about it.

-EJ (my name in real life)
Same here I'm EJ 36 years now...
Me a JERK? Wow... Come on now

ej.exe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Well nice to meet you. But post count is a terrible topic for a dick measuring contest. All I am saying is be helpful. "Wow" is not at all helpful.

-EJ

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well nice to meet you. But post count is a terrible topic for a dick measuring contest. All I am saying is be helpful. "Wow" is not at all helpful.

-EJ
Aight

I'm sorry to revive such an old thread but this post here saved my 150TCs life lastnight.

My 3 year old jumped into the pool without her vest on, I jumped in to get her with pockets fully loaded.
I started with a bowl of rice, did some research and wound up here. An hour of rice followed by 30 minutes 2 feet away from the low/warm setting on the wifes hair dryer completely dried it out. No water marks, funky lcd screen it just works like it did before the submersion.

Thank you kwtony!!!!!!
Thank you the rest of everyone in this thread!
I hope this helps someone else.

VU Sponsors