Become a Patron!

UK Menthol Cigarette Ban

jumponthevape

Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
UK smokers will now no longer be able to buy menthol cigarettes, the new law was effective as of May 20th 2020. The ban is part of the EU Tobacco Product Directive laws which were introduced on May 19, 2014.

This ban includes Menthol cigarettes, dual click cigarettes and also skinny cigarettes are being outlawed.

The EU Tobacco Product Directive Laws are for tightening the regulations around different types of Tobacco products, the menthol ban is part of the long-term ambition to make parts of the UK smoke-free by 2030.

This is only affecting Tobacco Cigarettes, it does not apply to vaping Liquid. Menthol E Liquid will become much more popular now, and this is evident as vape companies gear up to accept new customers into their arms.

Hopefully this new ban will be effective, and prevent people from starting to smoke. We also hope that this will encourage menthol cigarette smokers to take their first step with quitting smoking rather than going to normal tobacco cigarettes. This could however lead to a black market of illegal menthol cigarettes, which could be even worse than smoking normal or menthol cigarettes.

Vaping is still 95% less harmful than smoking as reported by Public Health England. In the US, cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths a year, that’s around 1,300 every day. You can also read our Smoking vs vaping blog for more information.

Ultimately we hope that this ban will stop people from smoking, whether it be people using vaping as a safer alternative or for people to go ‘cold turkey’ and quit the worst addiction to of plagued this planet in the past century.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
"When you say ultimately we hope" is that a quote from another source or is that your statement that you work for the EU govt and are part of the menthol ban. And you used American statistics, why not use EU statistics? How many people died in the UE from cigarettes you didn't mention that

ChainVapeS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i smoked menthol cigs, i tried non menthol :blech::blech::blech:etc. funny thing is, i do not vape any menthol. though, Roundhouse is sending me a menthol sample bottle to try :cheers:
I smoked menthol cigarettes for over 20 years. When I started vaping, the thing available was cigalikes from the corner store. I bought a menthol e cig, tried it and threw it away. It tasted like I was smoking crystal m th, which I walked away from over 10 years ago. Instantly turned me away from menthol vape products for years.
I got brave about a year ago and tried some store bought menthol juice. Instantly hooked. Now I can hardly vape anything without menthol or a cooling agent like koolada or ws-23.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I smoked Newports for many years. When I came to the UAE they didn't have them here. I switched to Marlboro, it was no big deal. I'd love to see some real numbers on what happens when menthol cigarettes are banned. My money is on most people just switching.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
i smoked menthol cigs, i tried non menthol :blech::blech::blech:etc. funny thing is, i do not vape any menthol. though, Roundhouse is sending me a menthol sample bottle to try :cheers:

Do you like any minty flavors like mint cream?

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I smoked Newports for many years. When I came to the UAE they didn't have them here. I switched to Marlboro, it was no big deal. I'd love to see some real numbers on what happens when menthol cigarettes are banned. My money is on most people just switching.

Are people really going to stop smoking because they can’t get menthol? I started with menthol in college and then smoked Lights. Then I stopped, and started again when I got married.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are people really going to stop smoking because they can’t get menthol? I started with menthol in college and then smoked Lights. Then I stopped, and started again when I got married.

Yep, we're the norm. It's like a person who eats a gallon of chocolate chip ice cream is killing themselves, so we'll ban that flavor. I'm sure that'll fix things.

jumponthevape

Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
"When you say ultimately we hope" is that a quote from another source or is that your statement that you work for the EU govt and are part of the menthol ban. And you used American statistics, why not use EU statistics? How many people died in the UE from cigarettes you didn't mention that

Hey!

Sorry this is an opinion from Jumponthevape. Please disregard this opinion if you do not agree with it. We used American statistics as the American market is bigger than the EU market.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I think maybe the premise is that if kids who are thinking about starting to smoke can't get menthol cigarettes, they won't start smoking. Especially in the UK, if they are inclined toward a flavor that doesn't taste like butt, maybe they'll try vaping instead.

I started with menthol, and best I can recall, the kids in my immediate circle of 14- to 16-year-olds all smoked menthol. When I got married I switched to regular cigs so my husband and I could buy a carton and share it. Some years later I switched back to menthol, and stayed with menthol until I quit about 30 years later. I smoked for 39 years altogether.

Two of my three kids smoked menthol cigarettes when they were teenagers. My son later switched to regular, but my daughter continued to smoke menthol until she started vaping about five years ago. She has now quit both smoking and vaping.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I smoked menthol most of my cigarette life. I started out on Reds like most kids, but switched over in '75 after having bummed from others. I never have liked menthol vapes though. I think that comes from having tried Halo Sub Zero. Man that shit is strong...

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Yep, we're the norm. It's like a person who eats a gallon of chocolate chip ice cream is killing themselves, so we'll ban that flavor. I'm sure that'll fix things.

It’s so crazy because in the States they could do effective age verification and keep kids away from vaping or menthol or whatever. If they added a bit of tax on it, they wouldn’t have to ban or Deem anything here.

Stay healthy, Bob.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I smoked menthol most of my cigarette life. I started out on Reds like most kids, but switched over in '75 after having bummed from others. I never have liked menthol vapes though. I think that comes from having tried Halo Sub Zero. Man that shit is strong...

I didn’t like menthol juice either, but I make Creme de Menthe mixes now. Basically when I caught the flu in the New Year, I started adding Eucalyptus Mint to be able to breathe. Now I just like creamy mint.

VU Sponsors